CurlTalk

this gurus thing....

rouquinnerouquinne Posts: 13,499Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
has got to go!!!!

i use ad blockers for a reason and now you've found a way to circumvent them...

:angry5:
My blog:

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Flabellatestarossa.blogspot.ca%2F" class="Popup

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!

Comments

• claudine19claudine19 Posts: 4,486Registered Users
    I couldn't agree with you more, my redheaded friend.

Ils sont intrusifs.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dogs and nature abhor a vacuum.
    http://geaugadoggy.wordpress.com
  • Geek_ChicGeek_Chic Posts: 1,257Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I absolutely agree. They're also slowing down page loading on my pc. Not cool in either respect.
    CG since 11/2011
    2c /3a F /Mii, low porosity

Go To Products /Routine:
    Clarifying: Suave Essentials Strawberry
    Low Poo: Renpure Luxurious Argan Oil
    CO: Suave Essentials Strawberry, V05 Kiwi Lime
    RO /LI: Tresemme Perfectly (un)Done, Cure Care, V05 Kiwi Lime Squeeze, Suave Essentials Strawberry, Renpure Brazilian Keratin (old formula)
    Stylers: LALSG, AIF, HETT, Suave Professionals Firm Control
    PT: IAGirl's as needed
  • kstankstan Posts: 423Registered Users
    they seem to slow down my pages as well. :(
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    started CG on 6/25/12. :duckie:
    • 2c with a strait underneath
    • normal elasticity on top, none on the underneath
    • Fine side of Normal
    • Thick hair
    • Poriosity is a mystery. I think its all over the place.
  • poemaXXpoemaXX Posts: 456Registered Users
    Ugh, make them go awayyyy! :sad2:
    || 3b; normal porosity; fine/normal texture || CG since Feb 2010 || SD/dandruff prone

Current Routine BAQ henna 1/month Leave-in OH Hair Dew Cheapie Conditioner Tresemme Naturals Moisturizing
    Old Stand-bys extra-virgin coconut oil Protein AO GPB; Moisture AO HR Style AOMMJ – Kept for troubleshooting.
    Waiting to try extra-wide curlformers SD treatment H&S Clinical Strength

• redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Posts: 17,502Registered Users
    What is it?
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
  • Geek_ChicGeek_Chic Posts: 1,257Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    It's a new advertisement that appears as the 2nd post on any page of a given thread. It's made to resemble a forum post, as opposed to a typical ad. The poster is CurlyGurus, and the post title is "Check out these links for more information." Unlike real posts, the background on this is light pink, and the only content is links to products or videos related to the first real post prior to the ad.
    CG since 11/2011
    2c /3a F /Mii, low porosity

Go To Products /Routine:
    Clarifying: Suave Essentials Strawberry
    Low Poo: Renpure Luxurious Argan Oil
    CO: Suave Essentials Strawberry, V05 Kiwi Lime
    RO /LI: Tresemme Perfectly (un)Done, Cure Care, V05 Kiwi Lime Squeeze, Suave Essentials Strawberry, Renpure Brazilian Keratin (old formula)
    Stylers: LALSG, AIF, HETT, Suave Professionals Firm Control
    PT: IAGirl's as needed
  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Posts: 17,502Registered Users
    Interesting. It hasn't shown up on the app, yet.
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 8,470Administrators, Moderators Administrator
    I'll share your thoughts with management.
    I think they wanted a way to offer more information about topics discussed in threads, since CTalk tends to be its own island, but there's a whole other NaturallyCurly out there that maybe everyone over here doesn't know about.

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • rouquinnerouquinne Posts: 13,499Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    i can't speak for anyone else, but when sites do something like that to me, it turns me off to such an extent that i will go out of my way to NOT click on any of that.
    My blog:

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Flabellatestarossa.blogspot.ca%2F" class="Popup

• jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 19,250Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    These things are super annoying. They pop out randomly and make the page jump around.
    --I'm located in Western PA.
    --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, started going grey in late 2005.
    --My hair is 3B with some 3A, texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
    --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, oils, honey, vinegar.
    --My CG and grey hair progress -- http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html
  • LAwomanLAwoman Posts: 2,949Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'm in total agreement! The pages run SO slow now. :(
  • coilynappcoilynapp Posts: 4,233Registered Users
    Gretchen wrote: »
    I'll share your thoughts with management.
    I think they wanted a way to offer more information about topics discussed in threads, since CTalk tends to be its own island, but there's a whole other NaturallyCurly out there that maybe everyone over here doesn't know about.
    Please please please can you please take this coily guru down PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!

For what topics is more information being offered in the 4a "Say it" thread? Really? The links do not even work and none of those topics are being discussed AT ALL. Please take it down.

I don't think that people do not know the NC world if all they are on is curltalk. I just don't think so. Even when you are just on curltalk, you can see all the links to other places on NC.com
    th?id=H.4940802350254088&pid=1.7&w=183&h=144&c=7&rs=1
  • claudine19claudine19 Posts: 4,486Registered Users
    I think it's really aggressive advertising, and rattles the current page when opened.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dogs and nature abhor a vacuum.
    http://geaugadoggy.wordpress.com
    I get that NC would want to find ways around ad blockers. Ads are their bread and butter. But the curly gurus thing isn't an ad and the links don't go to ads. They go to articles on the main NC page. Which I think most of us can find all by ourselves. I don't get the point. And as I've said a few times now, making the page jump around is super annoying.
    --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, started going grey in late 2005.
    --My hair is 3B with some 3A, texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
    --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, oils, honey, vinegar.
    --My CG and grey hair progress -- http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 8,470Administrators, Moderators Administrator
    Everyone, I've shared your concerns with the company's managers. I've sent them a link to this thread, also.
    I haven't gotten any response yet.

Gretchen
    3A

You are beautiful!
    Thanks Gretchen.
  • B-wavyB-wavy Posts: 1,733Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Agreed - thanks, Gretchen. Any of these ads that attempt to "hijack" the page I want to be on (such as the guru thing and those Macy's ads which thankfully seem to have disappeared) have the opposite effect on me than what I suspect the advertiser would want me to have. I find them incredibly annoying, and they make me want to never click them, purchase anything they are advertising, or visit that particular store ever again, etc. etc. Blech.
    Thanks Gretchen! I hope it's resolved soon.
    Still waiting for this thing to be gone. Right now one of the links goes to an article from 2009. And this is useful how?
    Still waiting for this thing to be gone. Right now one of the links goes to an article from 2009. And this is useful how?

I've shared your thoughts with the NaturallyCurly management team. I really think they mean it to be helpful to members who might need help with a certain issue. It's thought of as just another way to provide information about topics that are discussed in the thread. It's not meant to be an ad; it generates no revenue, to my knowledge.

Gretchen
    3A

You are beautiful!
    No, there are no ads but I can't imagine how this is useful to anyone. But even if it is, the problem with it is that it loads while we are reading or trying to reply so the page leaps around.
  • moodydovemoodydove Posts: 1,721Registered Users
    I'm not so annoyed with just seeing the gurus as I am with the pages being all jacked. Fix pwease. I'll make cookies.
    Big chop: 5/30/10
    CG, clarify with Aveda Brilliant Shampoo when needed
    Dense, medium-fine strands, lowish porosity. Avoiding glycerin outside the shower.
    Cowash:Suave Coconut Conditioner.
    Leave in: YtCucumbers and EVOO
    Styling Products: Flaxseed gel, Phillip B Soft Hold Gel, KMF Upper Management Gel
    DC: Doctored GVP or Suave conditioner
    Cleanser: Bentonite clay
  • bubblemamabubblemama Posts: 58Registered Users
    The CurlyGurus postings look like spam to me. At first, I was just waiting for it to be banned but then I figured it was some sort of tricky advertising.

They annoy me to no end and I would never ever click on the links.

Please make them stop.
    CG since 4/15/12
    2c-3b, fine to medium, high porosity, low elasticity
    20% gray (stopped coloring 6/12)

LOVES: protein, Shea Moisture condish. & masque, KCCC, Re:Coil (HG), Kiss My Face Upper Mgmt. gel, my own FSG!

does not love: non-cg ingredients, oils, PVA/PVP, synthetic fragrances or poly-quats

• rouquinnerouquinne Posts: 13,499Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    and now we have "Trending Topics" at the bottom of screens...

*sigh*

if i want to read the news, i go to a news site - i DO NOT want it pushed at me here!!! and the "topics" offered...

*sheesh*

as much as i LOVE having links to my old columns show up in the "gurus" thing, it annoys the heck out of me and these "topics" are insulting my intelligence!

:sad11:
    My blog:

OH GOSH!!!!!!!! Please NC.com, PLEASE stop.
  • murrrcatmurrrcat Posts: 9,596Registered Users
    does yousSSSSe guysses pages refresh randomly and obnoxioulsy making your macbook pro super stupid?? Mine does all the time and it drives me insane!! Why??? Only on curltalk and Nc.com does it do this. No other website.
    tumblr_mji9u1Fwza1rh1wv4o1_500.jpg
    murrrcat wrote: »
    does yousSSSSe guysses pages refresh randomly and obnoxioulsy making your macbook pro super stupid?? Mine does all the time and it drives me insane!! Why??? Only on curltalk and Nc.com does it do this. No other website.
    YES
  • NetGNetG Posts: 8,116Registered Users
    It would be one thing if the ads weren't constantly refreshing the page and making the site 1) painfully slow and annoying, also removing all functionality like "back" from browsers with the constant refresh and loading new pages because of the ads and 2) crash computers regularly. But this is the only site with this problem, and it's unprofessional enough that I wouldn't even consider buying products through the site because I wouldn't trust its security.

I'm positive I'm not the only one who feels that way. I don't try to find/read articles or anything else for the same reason.

I regularly disappear and know many others do as well because of the combination of site which runs horribly due to ads and inconsistent moderation. (Apparently posts are being poofed without indication again... it made me go away before, and is about to do the same again. Particularly when coupled with the "don't talk about moderation" reign of terror from unnammed Number Mod.)
    The pews never miss a sermon but that doesn't get them one step closer to Heaven.
    -Speckla

But at least the pews never attend yoga!
    NetG wrote: »
    It would be one thing if the ads weren't constantly refreshing the page and making the site 1) painfully slow and annoying, also removing all functionality like "back" from browsers with the constant refresh and loading new pages because of the ads and 2) crash computers regularly. But this is the only site with this problem, and it's unprofessional enough that I wouldn't even consider buying products through the site because I wouldn't trust its security.

I'm positive I'm not the only one who feels that way. I don't try to find/read articles or anything else for the same reason.

I regularly disappear and know many others do as well because of the combination of site which runs horribly due to ads and inconsistent moderation. (Apparently posts are being poofed without indication again... it made me go away before, and is about to do the same again. Particularly when coupled with the "don't talk about moderation" reign of terror from unnammed Number Mod.)

At this point I don't think any of them care about the usability of this site. It has become so trashy with the trendy topics we complained about.

Sent from my iPhone using CurlTalk
  • LoveInBetweenLoveInBetween Posts: 392Registered Users
    I don't even get on NC.com on my laptop because of this. I just use the app to be free from it.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using CurlTalk App
    Curl Routine
    Co: As I am Coconut CoWash,VO5 Claifying Conditioner
    DC: Macadamia Repair Masque
    LI: KCKT, Suave Naturals Coconut
    Style Creme: Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie
    Gel: KCCC, Eco Styler Argan Oil
    Sealer: EVCO, EVOO

3b/3c, High Desity, High Porosity, Medium Texture, BSL
    ""Live by the sun, love by the moon"

Leave a Comment