CurlTalk

Is there any curl creme that defines your hair as well as a gel?

curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 11,970Registered Users Curl Novice
I love CJCCCL but I can't use it without a gel because the curls pouf out and lose definition.

Is there any curl creme that you can use instead of a gel? Or a gel that leaves the curls very soft and doesn't need to be scrunched out to form the curls?
2/c Coarse hair med. density.
Highly porous. Color over grey.
I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
Every day is a gift :flower:

Comments

• KinkyRNKinkyRN Posts: 250Registered Users
    At CVS I found Not Your Mothers.... A product that worked excellently to my surprise. I too am a hard core CJ fan but this product along with AG recoil (cream/gel?) excellent products!!
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 11,970Registered Users Curl Novice
    Very interesting! I never heard of that. I'll look into it.

I have very inconsistent results with AG: Recoil. I can't figure out what I'm doing right/wrong. Sometimes it gives me terrific curls (mixed with other things) other times not. More experimenting....;-)
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
  • tenapaigetenapaige Posts: 208Registered Users
    @curlypearl thanks for putting this post up ive been trying to find a similar product... What type of hair do u have?
    Hi Tena. :wave:My hair is 3a but much stronger curl pattern in back than in front. I'm highly porous (because I dye it) and my hair is not as thick as it used to be.

I wear my hair in a bob.

What are your hair properties? Hopefully some other curlies will chime in with suggestions. :nike:
  • rbbrbb Posts: 4,095Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    curlypearl, have you tried cccc? i get mixed results with it,but i think in the early fall is when i get the best results.
    cj honey butta works very well in my hair! i put it onto dripping wet hair, work it through, then scrunch it. marsha had recommended it to me as a styler and i just recently tried it full force! sometimes i use a leave in like beauticurls leave in, then the honey butta. and other times i just use the honey butta, no leave in. never anything over it.

last winter i used cj deep fix as my leave in and lalsg over it -- not perfect, but pretty good in those very low dews. this winter i will see how honey butta works.

another decent combo is curl rehab as leave in, ciab over it.

i have been also experimenting with a leave in, curl rehab or deep fix, and then jane carter n&s to seal it in. i guess i am determined to find what it is my hair likes in low dews. (mid to high dews never a problem! cj aloe fix)

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:cj conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: cj aloe fix gel, cj pattern pusha, cj honey butta leave in, cj cccc, cj ciab.
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
  • MirCurlsMirCurls Posts: 2,660Registered Users
    Hey, curlypearl. Your hair properties are like mine, seems like.

I have found the only cream that defines for me is AG Re:coil, and I've used it with and without gel. I always have to use a good amount of leave-in condish under, or it's very drying.

As far as gel that's touchable...the only ones I've used that served as being touchable have been flaxseed gelee (but I don't necessarily love the hold) and Spiral Solutions Curling Jelly. I do use gel over SS CJ usually, but I've used it without gel with touchable results. And I've used it as a refresher, too.

For a spell, the Botticelli Botanicals brulee served really well to define and hold, then my hair stopped liking it. Don't know if it just deteriorated (the BB products have to be refrigerated and don't last long, shelf-wise) or if it was seasonal, but it went from being amazing to being crap. I keep thinking of trying it again, but, well, I don't use a whole lotta product and I always ended up having to throw out the BB stuff before I'd used even HALF, cause the shelf-life issues.

HTH,
    Mir
    3a3b
    Natural since 11/25/09
    Then: fine, superdry, non-elastic, porous
    Now: medium, dry, elastic, lower porosity, BSL

Curl Junkie Conditions!
    Eden BW Cleansing Condish Rocks!

~CJ Protein Tx
    ; BEE-U-Ti-Ful Deep Condish
    ~SMasters Method; Pixie-curling
    Dumped clumps for VOLUME!

Marchioness Mir, Magister of Moisturization & Mystic of the Lofty Crown in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    Hi MirCurl, I've had exactly the same experiences as you! AG: Recoil is very drying but if I use a lot of condish underneath I can get great curls. I worry about the drying though so I don't use it often.

SSCEJ is nice for shine and for defining but doesn't hold for me. It is nice as a glaze though, as a refresher.

I've never tried flaxseed gel. Today I tried Deva Volumizing Foam and nothing else. I'm going to try one product at a time and note the results and try to be "scientific" about it to discover what works best for me.

I think you are my hair twin. Yippee :blob2: :cheers: :sunny:
    @mircurls and curlypearl

I think i have really similar hair to you both maybe just a little more coarser... My curl pattern is more tight at the nape (the back of my hair in general)... Can u tell me what all these acronyms for products are :) please... Im unfamiliar with this and Im really interested in what both of you have to say since I feel our hair types are similar .. Btw can u explain to me what porosity is and how i can figure my hair's porosity out
  • yossarianyossarian Posts: 967Registered Users
    tenapaige wrote: »
    Can u tell me what all these acronyms for products are :) please... Im unfamiliar with this and Im really interested in what both of you have to say since I feel our hair types are similar .. Btw can u explain to me what porosity is and how i can figure my hair's porosity out

Here's a link to help you understand our lingo:

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/newbies-info-introductions/74759-acronyms-abbreviations-definitions.html

This link is great for figuring out hair types, product ingredients etc.:

Curly Hair Tips, Styles & Products - NaturallyCurly

HTH! :D
    When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. - Jimi
    2c/3a, BSL, medium, low porosity
    Low-poo: Bobeam and CV poo bars; Acure Argan Oil & Stem Cell
    Conditioner: Acure Argan Oil & Stem Cell; Desert Essence Shea
    Stylers: Sweet Curls Elixir Curl Cream; SM CES
    PT: BASK Whiskey Soak
  • Ms. Naturally CoilyMs. Naturally Coily Posts: 120Registered Users
    Shea Moisture Organic Curl & Style Hair Milk moisturizes and defines my curls.
    @yossarian
    THANKS! :)
    yossarian wrote: »
    tenapaige wrote: »
    Can u tell me what all these acronyms for products are :) please... Im unfamiliar with this and Im really interested in what both of you have to say since I feel our hair types are similar .. Btw can u explain to me what porosity is and how i can figure my hair's porosity out

Here's a link to help you understand our lingo:

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/newbies-info-introductions/74759-acronyms-abbreviations-definitions.html

This link is great for figuring out hair types, product ingredients etc.:

Curly Hair Tips, Styles & Products - NaturallyCurly

HTH! :D

Thankyou :)
  • dresdendolldresdendoll Posts: 435Registered Users
    Darcy's Botanicals Curling Cream-Gel is actually a very thin, runny creme, not gelly at all. However, it does define curls well and without crunch :)
    2c/2b with some 2a, coarse, dense, thick, low porosity
    Growing out a CL bob. Currently at APL.
    CG again as of 7/20/12 :laughing5:

Cleanser: BRÖÖ Smoothing I.P.A. Shampoo
    RO: Trader Joe's Nourish Spa Conditioner
    LI: Kinky-Curly Knot Today
    Styler: Beautiful Curls Gel for Wavy to Curly Hair

:love4: all-natural products, light moisture, humectants, argan oil
    :pukeright:silk protein, synthetic ingredients, heavy oils/products, cowashing
  • barcemadisbarcemadis Posts: 25Registered Users
    I've recently switched from gel to using Alba Botanical Soft Hold Curl Cream. It seems to provide more hold than CCCCL for me without weighing down my fine hair. It gives me soft, touchable hair for 2 or 3 days.
    RBB, I actually have CCCC but I found it too rich in warmer weather. It might be good in winter, but since Marsha recommended the honey butta - that's a great recommendation! She knows her stuff.

Tena, my hair is also a little coarser and considerably curlier in the back. Another hair twin - you, me and MirCurls - we are curly triplets!:blob7:

Ms. Naturally Coily - thanks for the suggestion! I've never tried a "milk" Also, never tried anything with Shea Moisture, but it gets so many good reviews.

Dresdendoll, another tempting product! Darcy's Botanicals also gets great reviews. Sigh - I want everything.

Kinky RN - are you really an RN? Slight guano - but terrific to have an RN on our board (if you are one). I haven't ever seen the Not your Mother's - have to check that out also.

Barcemadis - another terrific suggestion. If I could get soft touchable curls for more than one day, I'd be in heaven.

Yossarian, thanks for the links! Everyone - I am like a kid with a box of new candies - so many great products to try. One by one....until I hit the jackpot. :hello2:
    Bump! Any more word on the Alba Soft Style Creme? I want to try it really badly, haha, saw in in Whole Foods recently...

• seamelody14seamelody14 Posts: 282Registered Users
    I've just tried CCCC and so far I really like it, I have the same problem with CCCCL, I like it but it tends to not control the poof that my hair can have. The Honey Butta was a little to heavy for me.
    2a/b
    medium/thick
    high porosity (from coloring)

Shampoo: Mop Top Gentle Shampoo
    Co-wash: Chistophe Robin Lemon Cleansing Cream
    RO: CJ strengthening, Kenra moisturizing
    LI: Jessicurl Aloeba
    DT: CJ rehab, Christophe Robin Prickly Pear Mask
    PT: SS protein treatment, Ouidad 12 minute
    Stylers: Jessicurl RR, SS Firm Hold Gel
    Oils: caudalie, sweet almond
  • CurlsnswirlsCurlsnswirls Posts: 865Registered Users
    How's this working for you in cooler temps?
    I received mine and will try it out tomorrow. I also have a Sample of he styling cream to try out.
    Ok...I caved and bought the Alba Botanica Soft Styling Cream! Haha
    It's drying right now, and I'll comment as soon as I get results(:

• yossarianyossarian Posts: 967Registered Users
    Ok...I caved and bought the Alba Botanica Soft Styling Cream! Haha
    It's drying right now, and I'll comment as soon as I get results(:

haha I knew you would! :tongue: Hopefully it works really well for you, because it's reasonably priced and available locally.

Looking forward to an exhaustive review!
    When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. - Jimi
    2c/3a, BSL, medium, low porosity
    Low-poo: Bobeam and CV poo bars; Acure Argan Oil & Stem Cell
    Conditioner: Acure Argan Oil & Stem Cell; Desert Essence Shea
    Stylers: Sweet Curls Elixir Curl Cream; SM CES
    PT: BASK Whiskey Soak
    Alba Botanica Soft Curl Cream gave me huge, clumpy, spirally ringlets. I love the style it gave me! However, my hair doesn't feel very soft and actually a little bit dry. I looked at the ingredients and it looked fine, but then I saw the description and it said that it contained "moringa micro-proteins." My hates hates protein, but this product is really nice, so I hope it wasn't this cream that caused the dryness. I'll try it a few times more

Thank you everyone for replying! I haven't responded sooner because I went back to a different styling method which is working really well for me (for the first day). Nothing seems to work well for the 2nd day - I'm still trying to figure that out.

I went back to the super soaker method and got terrific results, so now I'm using both a curl creme and gel. I'm trying different combos.

I encourage anyone who hasn't tried it to give it a shot. You need a Denman brush or a clone of that type brush. You can check out the super soaker thread for details.

Thanks again and good luck everyone. Also, if anyone has any tips for 2nd day (I use a satin pillowcase) that maybe hasn't been written about a lot, post them please!
    curlypearl -- from your siggie it says your hair is highly porous. maybe if you sealed it then you would get better 2nd day hair?
    i rarely do 2nd day hair, but since i've been sealing my hair my hair is pretty good the following morning, so i could.

styling: cj aloe fix gel, cj pattern pusha, cj honey butta leave in, cj cccc, cj ciab.
    rbb - thank you so much! I'm really struggling with the 2nd day issue.

At what point in your styling do you seal your hair, how much oil do you use and where on your hair do you put it?

I had tried using some oil a way back and I thought it was making my hair stringy. Maybe I used too much or put it on at the wrong stage?

I would certainly try it again - please let me know your technique! Thanks a lot.
    curlypearl wrote: »
    rbb - thank you so much! I'm really struggling with the 2nd day issue.

At what point in your styling do you seal your hair, how much oil do you use and where on your hair do you put it?

I had tried using some oil a way back and I thought it was making my hair stringy. Maybe I used too much or put it on at the wrong stage?

I would certainly try it again - please let me know your technique! Thanks a lot.

here's what i've been doing for the last 3, 4 weeks. i don't use oils, my hair hated them, took days to wash it all out. i use emollient butters listed in my siggie. the one that has been working so very well for me and i am exclusively using now is jane carter nourish & shine. you can get it on ground, i buy it at wholefoods.
    when i lowpoo, after i put in leave in and possibly a styler (unless it is a styling leave in), then i blot excess water from my hair, and then flip head upside down and scrunch in some jc n&s. flip my head up and scrunch in more jc n&s. let it air dry.
    the days i cowash i don't seal whole head, i wait and see and as my hair is drying i add jc n&s where it seems to need it. for my hair, the 'usual' spots are right along my face, the sides. so i do pat some in after i blot my hair, but it is when i 'set' my hair up then i pat some in right along the hairline around my face. as it dries there are usually spots on my top left side that seem to need it, so i pat it in there. and if there are any others as it is drying, i do same.
    i've been getting lots of compliments on my hair. jc n&s really makes it shine and it does retain the moisture.
    HTH

Glad you found a solution! Super Soaker is a really great technique(:

Oh, I tried the Alba Botanica Soft Style Cream again, and my hair isn't dry at all! Now it's filled with soft curls and waves! Very clumpy. I don't need to use a lot, either. I also like how the drying time isn't too long. Good product!

• KinkyRNKinkyRN Posts: 250Registered Users
    curlypearl wrote: »
    RBB, I actually have CCCC but I found it too rich in warmer weather. It might be good in winter, but since Marsha recommended the honey butta - that's a great recommendation! She knows her stuff.

Tena, my hair is also a little coarser and considerably curlier in the back. Another hair twin - you, me and MirCurls - we are curly triplets!:blob7:

Ms. Naturally Coily - thanks for the suggestion! I've never tried a "milk" Also, never tried anything with Shea Moisture, but it gets so many good reviews.

Dresdendoll, another tempting product! Darcy's Botanicals also gets great reviews. Sigh - I want everything.

Kinky RN - are you really an RN? Slight guano - but terrific to have an RN on our board (if you are one). I haven't ever seen the Not your Mother's - have to check that out also.

Barcemadis - another terrific suggestion. If I could get soft touchable curls for more than one day, I'd be in heaven.

Yossarian, thanks for the links! Everyone - I am like a kid with a box of new candies - so many great products to try. One by one....until I hit the jackpot. :hello2:

Actually I am a RN. That not your mothers has me in love with my curls!! And the price is right too.
  • GoldenBlazeGoldenBlaze Posts: 342Registered Users
    Curls Unleashed Curl Creme defines curls with a soft hold. That's what I use when I just want a soft, curly do without the finisher curl jelly
  • LiannaLianna Posts: 36Registered Users
    This one (which is specially good for dyed hair) or the one for curly hair from the same brand (teal bottle)...sorry I couldn't find a link to specify (I'm not from USA). I think they're easily found though..and not expensive.

ETA: L'oreal products have always been pretty good for me, their leave-ins are really nice, I hope you check them out, regardless of being the exact one I'm refering.
  • rmc2rmc2 Posts: 349Registered Users
    I have 4a hair with some 3c. My trick for 2nd day hair is as follows:
    Sleep with a satin bonnet or on a satin pillow

Use a water spray bottle or get in shower and wet hair till it s saturated. If u use water spray, wait 1-2 minutes to let water saturate hair. As u do, flattened curls will start to swell almost to their first day state. Do not touch. Just shake ur hair a few times.

Also my 2 best curl definers are Kinky Curly Custard (with the knot leave in underneath) and Hawaiian Silky Curl Activator. One is super $ and the other is super cheap ($4-$5) but they give the same curl definition and shine. Difference though is that u don't really need a leave in if u use the Hawaiian product. Plus your hair is not crunchy at all. But I find that with KC Custard, a little goes a long way, and the crunchiness is relatively minimal. Go heavier on the knot leave in and longer on the custard.