CurlTalk

Bully Calls News Anchor Fat

FEMBOTFEMBOT BannedPosts: 72Banned Users
«13

Comments

  • SpringcurlSpringcurl Posts: 8,002Registered Users
    I saw this and someone said to me, "Oh, so now just calling someone fat is a bully?" And my answer was (and this is a discussion we've actually had on this forum): Yes, it's bullying behavior because (1) she knows she fat and therefore he's not telling her anything she doesn't know. (2) The only reason that someone so wholly unconnected to her would tell her she's fat is to be a bully.
    TWINKLES.gifTWINKLES.gifTWINKLES.gif

    Obamacare is not a blueprint for socialism. You're thinking of the New Testament. ~~ John Fugelsang



  • irociroc Posts: 7,890Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Springcurl wrote: »
    I saw this and someone said to me, "Oh, so now just calling someone fat is a bully?" And my answer was (and this is a discussion we've actually had on this forum): Yes, it's bullying behavior because (1) she knows she fat and therefore he's not telling her anything she doesn't know. (2) The only reason that someone so wholly unconnected to her would tell her she's fat is to be a bully.

    Why isn't that all common sense?

    I want to punch people who make fun of fat people. Really.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using CurlTalk App
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,495Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Springcurl wrote: »
    I saw this and someone said to me, "Oh, so now just calling someone fat is a bully?" And my answer was (and this is a discussion we've actually had on this forum): Yes, it's bullying behavior because (1) she knows she fat and therefore he's not telling her anything she doesn't know. (2) The only reason that someone so wholly unconnected to her would tell her she's fat is to be a bully.

    Not sure I really agree w/ the above criteria you use to identify bullying behavior.

    But I def agree that the person who wrote the letter intended to bully her.

    And good for her that she was mentally strong enough to post the letter and call this person out on his/her BS.

  • SpringcurlSpringcurl Posts: 8,002Registered Users

    And good for her that she was mentally strong enough to post the letter and call this person out on his/her BS.

    I also think she probably should have named the guy who wrote the letter.
    TWINKLES.gifTWINKLES.gifTWINKLES.gif

    Obamacare is not a blueprint for socialism. You're thinking of the New Testament. ~~ John Fugelsang



  • juanabjuanab Posts: 4,037Registered Users
    Springcurl wrote: »

    And good for her that she was mentally strong enough to post the letter and call this person out on his/her BS.

    I also think she probably should have named the guy who wrote the letter.

    I don't agree. It would be retaliatory. Sinking to his level is not the answer. She handled it with grace and dignity.

    texture - medium/fine, porosity - low/normal, elasticity - normal
    co-wash - NaturelleGrow Coconut Water or Marshmallow Root, Slippery Elm Bark & Blue Malva Cleansing Conditioners
    LI - KCKT mixed w/ SM C & H Curl & Style Milk
    DC - NG Mango & Coconut H2O or Chamomile/Brdck Root
    Gel - SM souffle (winter), KCCC (summer) or CR Naturals Aloe Whipped Butter Gel (year round)
    Sealers - Virgin Coconut Oil, Avocado butter, Aloe butter
    Ayurvedic treatments - Jamila Henna, Sukesh, Aloe Vera Powder, Hibiscus Powder
    .


    event.png
  • SpringcurlSpringcurl Posts: 8,002Registered Users
    juanab wrote: »
    Springcurl wrote: »

    And good for her that she was mentally strong enough to post the letter and call this person out on his/her BS.

    I also think she probably should have named the guy who wrote the letter.

    I don't agree. It would be retaliatory. Sinking to his level is not the answer. She handled it with grace and dignity.

    Sometimes I think that. But by the same token if he truly feels that way, then he should be able to stand behind his words.
    TWINKLES.gifTWINKLES.gifTWINKLES.gif

    Obamacare is not a blueprint for socialism. You're thinking of the New Testament. ~~ John Fugelsang



  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,258Registered Users
    juanab wrote: »
    Springcurl wrote: »

    And good for her that she was mentally strong enough to post the letter and call this person out on his/her BS.

    I also think she probably should have named the guy who wrote the letter.

    I don't agree. It would be retaliatory. Sinking to his level is not the answer. She handled it with grace and dignity.



    If the bully-writer used his/her name, it should definitely be revealed. I'm more inclined to think it was done annonymously though. That's how bullies operate.
  • juanabjuanab Posts: 4,037Registered Users
    Springcurl wrote: »
    juanab wrote: »
    Springcurl wrote: »

    I also think she probably should have named the guy who wrote the letter.

    I don't agree. It would be retaliatory. Sinking to his level is not the answer. She handled it with grace and dignity.

    Sometimes I think that. But by the same token if he truly feels that way, then he should be able to stand behind his words.

    It may have been her choice not to reveal his name. Why give him any publicity?

    texture - medium/fine, porosity - low/normal, elasticity - normal
    co-wash - NaturelleGrow Coconut Water or Marshmallow Root, Slippery Elm Bark & Blue Malva Cleansing Conditioners
    LI - KCKT mixed w/ SM C & H Curl & Style Milk
    DC - NG Mango & Coconut H2O or Chamomile/Brdck Root
    Gel - SM souffle (winter), KCCC (summer) or CR Naturals Aloe Whipped Butter Gel (year round)
    Sealers - Virgin Coconut Oil, Avocado butter, Aloe butter
    Ayurvedic treatments - Jamila Henna, Sukesh, Aloe Vera Powder, Hibiscus Powder
    .


    event.png
  • The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,738Registered Users
    Springcurl wrote: »
    I saw this and someone said to me, "Oh, so now just calling someone fat is a bully?" And my answer was (and this is a discussion we've actually had on this forum): Yes, it's bullying behavior because (1) she knows she fat and therefore he's not telling her anything she doesn't know. (2) The only reason that someone so wholly unconnected to her would tell her she's fat is to be a bully.

    Not sure I really agree w/ the above criteria you use to identify bullying behavior.

    ...

    And good for her that she was mentally strong enough to post the letter and call this person out on his/her BS.

    +1

    Some definitions say bullying is repeated action, and committed by someone who has or tries to exert power over another or intimidate them. Thats the definition Im most familiar with. Every act of rudeness isnt bullying or bigotry.
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

    I am the new Black.

    "Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
  • legendslegends Posts: 3,073Registered Users
    Springcurl wrote: »
    juanab wrote: »
    Springcurl wrote: »

    I also think she probably should have named the guy who wrote the letter.

    I don't agree. It would be retaliatory. Sinking to his level is not the answer. She handled it with grace and dignity.

    Sometimes I think that. But by the same token if he truly feels that way, then he should be able to stand behind his words.

    I agree on principle, but considering how crazy people get I'd worry that revealing his name could be dangerous. While the guy is a total ******* and I loved the anchor's response, considering her job she's the one with the power here...she has a wide audience and telling them who he is pretty much inciting her viewers to do something.
    Eres o te haces?
  • ruralcurlsruralcurls Posts: 2,574Registered Users
    Wow. That was amazing! :cheers:
  • AmnerisAmneris Posts: 15,117Registered Users
    Springcurl wrote: »
    I saw this and someone said to me, "Oh, so now just calling someone fat is a bully?" And my answer was (and this is a discussion we've actually had on this forum): Yes, it's bullying behavior because (1) she knows she fat and therefore he's not telling her anything she doesn't know. (2) The only reason that someone so wholly unconnected to her would tell her she's fat is to be a bully.

    She does? She doesn't look fat to me...
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali


    .png


    534Pm5.png





  • AmnerisAmneris Posts: 15,117Registered Users
    I also disagree with the definition of bullying springcurl suggested. I see bullying as the intentional infliction of mental and/or physical distress through harassment, physical violence, mocking, gossip, social exclusion etc. by a person who is in a position of relative power over the victim and who abuses that power.

    Calling someone fat may or may not fit that definition. It depends on who says it to who and why and in what context, etc.
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali


    .png


    534Pm5.png





  • SpringcurlSpringcurl Posts: 8,002Registered Users
    Amneris wrote: »
    Springcurl wrote: »
    I saw this and someone said to me, "Oh, so now just calling someone fat is a bully?" And my answer was (and this is a discussion we've actually had on this forum): Yes, it's bullying behavior because (1) she knows she fat and therefore he's not telling her anything she doesn't know. (2) The only reason that someone so wholly unconnected to her would tell her she's fat is to be a bully.

    She does? She doesn't look fat to me...

    Huh? She said it in the video. I'm not making a value judgment.
    TWINKLES.gifTWINKLES.gifTWINKLES.gif

    Obamacare is not a blueprint for socialism. You're thinking of the New Testament. ~~ John Fugelsang



  • irociroc Posts: 7,890Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Amneris wrote: »
    I also disagree with the definition of bullying springcurl suggested. I see bullying as the intentional infliction of mental and/or physical distress through harassment, physical violence, mocking, gossip, social exclusion etc. by a person who is in a position of relative power over the victim and who abuses that power.

    Calling someone fat may or may not fit that definition. It depends on who says it to who and why and in what context, etc.


    I don't see how this is disagreeing.

    The comments made putting someone down automatically puts them in a position of power.

    Intentional infliction of mental or physical distress through harassment...etc, etc.... sounds like a very 'dictionary' definition. Whatever. How is calling someone fat at least not an attempt at bullying. Even if the person was self confident and not afflicted by her size, the attempt was still there.



    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using CurlTalk App
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • wild~hairwild~hair Posts: 9,890Registered Users
    Springcurl wrote: »
    I saw this and someone said to me, "Oh, so now just calling someone fat is a bully?" And my answer was (and this is a discussion we've actually had on this forum): Yes, it's bullying behavior because (1) she knows she fat and therefore he's not telling her anything she doesn't know. (2) The only reason that someone so wholly unconnected to her would tell her she's fat is to be a bully.

    Not sure I really agree w/ the above criteria you use to identify bullying behavior.

    But I def agree that the person who wrote the letter intended to bully her.

    And good for her that she was mentally strong enough to post the letter and call this person out on his/her BS.

    I'm curious, what would you say the criteria are?
  • AmnerisAmneris Posts: 15,117Registered Users
    iroc wrote: »
    Amneris wrote: »
    I also disagree with the definition of bullying springcurl suggested. I see bullying as the intentional infliction of mental and/or physical distress through harassment, physical violence, mocking, gossip, social exclusion etc. by a person who is in a position of relative power over the victim and who abuses that power.

    Calling someone fat may or may not fit that definition. It depends on who says it to who and why and in what context, etc.


    I don't see how this is disagreeing.

    The comments made putting someone down automatically puts them in a position of power.

    Intentional infliction of mental or physical distress through harassment...etc, etc.... sounds like a very 'dictionary' definition. Whatever. How is calling someone fat at least not an attempt at bullying. Even if the person was self confident and not afflicted by her size, the attempt was still there.



    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using CurlTalk App

    No, comments made putting someone down don't automatically put them in a position of power.

    If some homeless, drunk person on the street calls me fat, that does not give them power over me.

    If a little child calls me fat, that does not give them power over me.

    If my boss calls me fat, he has power over me already and calling me fat is an abuse of such power.
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali


    .png


    534Pm5.png





  • irociroc Posts: 7,890Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Amneris wrote: »
    iroc wrote: »
    Amneris wrote: »
    I also disagree with the definition of bullying springcurl suggested. I see bullying as the intentional infliction of mental and/or physical distress through harassment, physical violence, mocking, gossip, social exclusion etc. by a person who is in a position of relative power over the victim and who abuses that power.

    Calling someone fat may or may not fit that definition. It depends on who says it to who and why and in what context, etc.


    I don't see how this is disagreeing.

    The comments made putting someone down automatically puts them in a position of power.

    Intentional infliction of mental or physical distress through harassment...etc, etc.... sounds like a very 'dictionary' definition. Whatever. How is calling someone fat at least not an attempt at bullying. Even if the person was self confident and not afflicted by her size, the attempt was still there.



    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using CurlTalk App

    No, comments made putting someone down don't automatically put them in a position of power.

    If some homeless, drunk person on the street calls me fat, that does not give them power over me.

    If a little child calls me fat, that does not give them power over me.

    If my boss calls me fat, he has power over me already and calling me fat is an abuse of such power.

    It can. It depends on how you receive the comment. You may not be made to feel intimidated by the homeless man's comment, yet another woman might. Again, the intent of bullying is there. You cannot judge how another person would feel in the same situation.


    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using CurlTalk App
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • medussamedussa Posts: 12,993Registered Users
    The guy's name is out there. I was just getting my nails done and some show with Kathy Lee Gifford and Hoda (can't remember her last name) was on tv. They showed the text and the guy's name was right at the top. I think he might have posted a response to her.
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,495Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    iroc wrote: »
    Amneris wrote: »
    iroc wrote: »


    I don't see how this is disagreeing.

    The comments made putting someone down automatically puts them in a position of power.

    Intentional infliction of mental or physical distress through harassment...etc, etc.... sounds like a very 'dictionary' definition. Whatever. How is calling someone fat at least not an attempt at bullying. Even if the person was self confident and not afflicted by her size, the attempt was still there.



    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using CurlTalk App

    No, comments made putting someone down don't automatically put them in a position of power.

    If some homeless, drunk person on the street calls me fat, that does not give them power over me.

    If a little child calls me fat, that does not give them power over me.

    If my boss calls me fat, he has power over me already and calling me fat is an abuse of such power.

    It can. It depends on how you receive the comment. You may not be made to feel intimidated by the homeless man's comment, yet another woman might. Again, the intent of bullying is there. You cannot judge how another person would feel in the same situation.


    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using CurlTalk App

    That has nothing to do w/ systemic power. But yes, drunk homeless men can be scary.

  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Posts: 17,502Registered Users
    His name is out there. He's a Wisconsin lawyer and is standing by his letter and offering to help her lose weight. :roll:

    As if a lawyer is the first person to go to for weight loss advice.
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

    Med/Coarse, porous curly.
  • rouquinnerouquinne Posts: 13,498Registered Users Curl Dabbler
    My blog:

    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Flabellatestarossa.blogspot.ca%2F" class="Popup

    Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
  • theliothelio Posts: 5,374Registered Users
    I think bullying is anytime someone tries to harm someone mentally, physically, emotionally, ect. I remember in the the news when the lady was bullied by the kids on her bus. They made her cry. They may have been kids, but I consider that bullying. They wanted to hurt her and they did.
  • NejNej Posts: 2,444Registered Users
    Wow. I so sick of people using the "healthy role model" argument to justify fat hatred. It's such ********. If she was using extreme measures to keep her weight down then no one would be saying a peep.

    Not being super skinny doesn't automatically make one unhealthy. People have issues with fat. Bottom line.

    She's beautiful and her body is hardly promoting obesity.
    anigif_enhanced-buzz-2027-1364839025-19.gif
  • rouquinnerouquinne Posts: 13,498Registered Users Curl Dabbler
    you know what really gets me about what this guy wrote to her? this part:

    Obesity is one of the worst choices a person can make and one of the most dangerous habits to maintain. I leave you this note hoping that you’ll reconsider your responsibility as a local public personality to present and promote a healthy lifestyle.

    a choice? CHOICE??????

    does he REALLY think that people choose to be an object of contempt and ridicule, because in our society, that's what you are if you're "fat"...

    and how does he know she's not healthy?

    jerk!

    :angry5:
    My blog:

    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Flabellatestarossa.blogspot.ca%2F" class="Popup

    Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
  • rouquinnerouquinne Posts: 13,498Registered Users Curl Dabbler
    OMG... the viewer's response to her:

    “Given this country’s present epidemic of obesity and the many truly horrible diseases related thereto, and considering Jennifer Livingston’s fortuitous position in the community, I hope she will finally take advantage of a rare and golden opportunity to influence the health and psychological well-being of Coulee Region children by transforming herself for all of her viewers to see over the next year, and, to that end, I would be absolutely pleased to offer Jennifer any advice or support she would be willing to accept.”

    :protest:
    My blog:

    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Flabellatestarossa.blogspot.ca%2F" class="Popup

    Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,495Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    wild~hair wrote: »
    Springcurl wrote: »
    I saw this and someone said to me, "Oh, so now just calling someone fat is a bully?" And my answer was (and this is a discussion we've actually had on this forum): Yes, it's bullying behavior because (1) she knows she fat and therefore he's not telling her anything she doesn't know. (2) The only reason that someone so wholly unconnected to her would tell her she's fat is to be a bully.

    Not sure I really agree w/ the above criteria you use to identify bullying behavior.

    But I def agree that the person who wrote the letter intended to bully her.

    And good for her that she was mentally strong enough to post the letter and call this person out on his/her BS.

    I'm curious, what would you say the criteria are?

    I'm not really sure. While I believe bullying definitely exists and can be utterly devastating to its victims, I also believe that as a society, we have gotten a litte too whiny and are becoming inclined to misidentify all kinds of relatively minor offenses as acts of bullying.

    (My 7 year old daughter told someone once she was "mean and acting like a jerk" and my daughter was labeled "a bully" by the bus driver. And this went in her school file. I was like give me a frkn break...)

    Clearly, my idea of bullying doesn't jibe w/ what schools are using and what is becoming the common definition.

    But when Spring mentioned the above, the first thing that came to mind was stories I'd read in the late Marvin Gaye's biographies where people who interacted w/ him were becoming painfully aware that he was destroying himself with drugs in the early 80s. A couple of industry insiders said they could actually see cocaine around his nose when they spoke to him. And they regret now not trying to intervene in some way to save his life. But according to the above 2-prong definition of bullying, they would have been bullies if they had 1) told him he was abusing drugs when he obviously already knew it and 2) told him he was abusing drugs bc they weren't really connected to him other than a passing professional interaction.

    So I think that definition misses the mark in some ways and isn't realy generalizable to every situation.

  • rouquinnerouquinne Posts: 13,498Registered Users Curl Dabbler
  • theliothelio Posts: 5,374Registered Users
    She's not even fat!!! And seriously dude? Choice of being obese??

    Ok. I know there are some folks out there that really dont care about their health ( I have an obese friend who sits around all day and eats fastfood. she knows she's over weight and knows what to do to lose the lbs. She just dont want to, her choice.) But calling them fat is not going to solve anything. it will just make those who are trying to get healthy feel even worst about them selves. Can you image how the 400 lb woman trying to lost wieght and get healthy hearing this story feels? If this man thinks this anchor woman is obese what would he say about the 400 lb woman? this is not cool and mister man might need a smack to the head. Something is not working upstairs!
  • JosephineJosephine Posts: 14,175Registered Users
    iroc wrote: »
    Amneris wrote: »
    iroc wrote: »


    I don't see how this is disagreeing.

    The comments made putting someone down automatically puts them in a position of power.

    Intentional infliction of mental or physical distress through harassment...etc, etc.... sounds like a very 'dictionary' definition. Whatever. How is calling someone fat at least not an attempt at bullying. Even if the person was self confident and not afflicted by her size, the attempt was still there.



    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using CurlTalk App

    No, comments made putting someone down don't automatically put them in a position of power.

    If some homeless, drunk person on the street calls me fat, that does not give them power over me.

    If a little child calls me fat, that does not give them power over me.

    If my boss calls me fat, he has power over me already and calling me fat is an abuse of such power.

    It can. It depends on how you receive the comment. You may not be made to feel intimidated by the homeless man's comment, yet another woman might. Again, the intent of bullying is there. You cannot judge how another person would feel in the same situation.


    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using CurlTalk App

    I figure some people will feel that the insulter is in a position of power and therefore let them be in power in their mind. But I don't agree that how one feels or takes the comment determines if it's bullying or not. People are oversensitive in my opinion.
«13