CurlTalk

How much does your hair shrink?

EtTu2EtTu2 Posts: 69Registered Users
I rarely straighten my hair but now I feel like I never want to again. My hair is waist length when straight and collar bone length when curly. No matter how much it grows, it seems to bounce back to collar bone length. Id really like to wear my hair straight every once in a while but it looks rediculous on me because it is too long and I don't want to cut it because it would look too short when curly. Just ranting a bit :)

How much does your hair shrink?

Comments

• SandiSandi Posts: 364Registered Users
    So jealous. I'm BSL wet, mostly SL-ish dry. Sigh. And I'm trying to figure out if my ends can be rescued or I should just give up and hack off an inch :) (Though I'm pretty sure a couple DT's will help...)

And straight...? I'm probably MBL? I don't know... it takes so long to straighten it, and I just don't want to have to bother with that and the fact that I need to get different products and agh. Yeah.

I just realized this, but you're probably the closest thing I have to a hair twin on this site. Which totally gives me a legitimate excuse to spend some more on products :)
    Hair Type: 3c/4a, Coarse, Med-High Density, Med-Low Porosity
    Curly since '09
  • DepressedCurlsDepressedCurls Posts: 836Registered Users
    I don't straighten it enough, but when i stretch a curl, it seems to shrink up about 4/5 inches. I wish i had waist length hair when straight! Wow.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using CurlTalk App
  • BlackAngelPlayahBlackAngelPlayah Posts: 1,419Registered Users
    Mine shrinks at least by 1/2. Maybe 2/3 the length. I'm about CB length stretched, but like mid cheek length curly & dry. Sucks.. But that's ok. :)

Can't wait for waist length!!!
    :afro:FroZen:afro:
  • EtTu2EtTu2 Posts: 69Registered Users
    Sandi wrote: »
    So jealous. I'm BSL wet, mostly SL-ish dry. Sigh. And I'm trying to figure out if my ends can be rescued or I should just give up and hack off an inch :) (Though I'm pretty sure a couple DT's will help...)

And straight...? I'm probably MBL? I don't know... it takes so long to straighten it, and I just don't want to have to bother with that and the fact that I need to get different products and agh. Yeah.

I just realized this, but you're probably the closest thing I have to a hair twin on this site. Which totally gives me a legitimate excuse to spend some more on products :)
    Haha, yeah when im straight I borrow products from my straight friends.

Yay, a hair twin!!!
    I don't straighten it enough, but when i stretch a curl, it seems to shrink up about 4/5 inches. I wish i had waist length hair when straight! Wow.

I wish my hair was as long as yours curly!
    Mine shrinks at least by 1/2. Maybe 2/3 the length. I'm about CB length stretched, but like mid cheek length curly & dry. Sucks.. But that's ok. :)

Can't wait for waist length!!!
    Jeez, our curls get a lot of shrinkage.

I sometimes think about going back to cheekish length. It looks so cute in your avi and I love the volume.
  • MissDarceiMissDarcei Posts: 193Registered Users
    I am SL curly and about APL straight so thats not too bad I guess but my hair is still pretty short so we'll see when it gets long!
    3c Hair
    Fine Strands, High Density, Low Porosity
    CG since August 2011
    :love4:Loving my hair!!!:love4:
    EtTu2 wrote: »

I wish my hair was as long as yours curly!

Oh thanks! It's really not very long now, but i appreciate it. :)

• OrigNaturalGoddessOrigNaturalGoddess Posts: 5Registered Users
    My hair is pretty much all over the place! I just took down the genie locs I had for two months, and I still have to clip my ends. As of tonight my hair is about chin length on the sides and shoulder length in the back while curly. When stretched I am between bsl and mbl in the back and apl on the sides.

Being that I grew my hair from a layered cut it has grown in all different lengths. I couldn't bring myself to cut it all even. I wish i had the longer up front look so that I could rock that voluminous curly fro like Taren916. I ultimately want to make it to waist length by this time next year. Not really sure what else I will do to go about reaching that goal. Lol.
  • Curly SaraCurly Sara Posts: 183Registered Users
    Mine shrinks at least 50 %. I know that my hair grows, but it doesnt look like that because of the extreme shrinkage.....aarggh!
    Hair type/properties:
    3c hair, high porosity, mediumdensity, low elasticity, fine hair.

Curly hair routine/regime:
    Combine the modified cg-method (low poo) and a modified tightly curly method.
    -Condition and leave in: Aubrey Organics, Giovanni Barzilian keratin and argan oil
    -Sealer: shea butter, Argan, olive and coconutoil
    -Gel: homemade flaxseed gel, Kinky curly custard, Queen Helene Curl royal shaping creme.
    Curly Sara wrote: »
    Mine shrinks at least 50 %. I know that my hair grows, but it doesnt look like that because of the extreme shrinkage.....aarggh!

^ Exactly. This right here. Honestly, i just have to take a curl and stretch it and try to remember where it was at last time i stretched it, or straighten to tell the length. Cause with my hair curly it always appears to be around shoulder length. Alwaysss.

• curlyty07curlyty07 Posts: 26Registered Users
    My hair probably shrinks about...60%. It sounds like you have A LOT of shrinkage. Why don't you try stretching it while it's curly so that it isn't as short. Whenever I put my hair in a pineapple, for when I sleep, it ends up stretching my hair.
  • kdelishkdelish Posts: 85Registered Users
    About 80%....when I straightn it in August to was just above my shoulder when I do wash n goes which is my go to style I have a twa
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    I am not a 3c. I am a 4a. My hair shrinks about 50-60%. However, the hair at the nape of my neck has slightly looser curls (not enough to be 3c though), and it only shrinks about 30%.
  • itsKelCeeEeeitsKelCeeEee Posts: 1,084Registered Users
    Yeah I'm a 4a too and my shrinkage is like 75% (from BSB to chin). The hair in my crown and front is looser and shrinks about 50%. The sides and the back don't be tryna have no kind of hangtime tho. -___-
    tumblr_mfb2v27JpJ1qfxenmo1_250.gif
    Big Chop: 11/25/09
    Cottony/fluffy, medium/coarse, high density & porosity
    SL - APL - BSB - BSL - MBL - WL - HL
  • SandiSandi Posts: 364Registered Users
    I had to trim some of my knots off, so while I did this, I officially straightened some of my shortest pieces of hair. MBL.

Agghhhh. Grow hair, grow. I'm CB completely dry now, I think, but applying some products gets me to the SL area (dry!).
    Hair Type: 3c/4a, Coarse, Med-High Density, Med-Low Porosity
    Curly since '09
  • curlyclo89curlyclo89 Posts: 173Registered Users
    It's between BSL & MBL wet & not stretched (straight its btwn MBL & WL). If I air dry, the front shrinks to just above SL, if I towel dry it is just past SL... The back is always btwn SL and APL.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using CurlTalk App
    :sunny: 3c/4a; medium porosity; high elasticity; M; iii

• ShayShampagneShayShampagne Posts: 114Registered Users
    My hair is cbl when wet, shoulder length when dry and about apl when straight. Yea, my hair doesn't shrink much. Probaly 25%

Sent from my SCH-R720 using CurlTalk App
    40-50 % :((
    Hair type/properties:

-Condition and leave in: Aubrey Organics, Giovanni Barzilian keratin and argan oil
    -Gel: homemade flaxseed gel, Kinky curly custard, Queen Helene Curl royal shaping creme.
  • dee-naturedee-nature Posts: 630Registered Users
    ALOT

Sent from my MB612 using CurlTalk App
    hair type: 4a VERY dense u39v2snfy.png

hair goal
    = WL Aug. 23, 2013

My hair LOVES oil
    :love5:
    2. "Being natural must be the new crack cus im hooked!!":afro:

“Being happy doesn't mean that everything is
    perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections.”:wav:

www.fotki.com/dee-nature-619

• bleuyteuybleuyteuy Posts: 273Registered Users
    My hair is 3b and from almost WL it goes to APL so its about half. Shrinkage does suck though I can't wait til I'm like MBL while its curly.
  • SetsunaNiSetsunaNi Posts: 14Registered Users
    With my new cut, I'm past APL stretched, but my curls shrink to NL. I know this is only because of the weight of my hair and that I've cut out a lot of damage I caused from stretching my hair so much.

Back when I was MBL, my hair shrank to SL but had no elasticity.

I was also reading somewhere that curly hair retains moisture better when it's unstretched. Curious if anyone has experienced this? I've done this most of the year and my hair feels healthier and less dry in it's natural state. When I was MBL and wearing stretched out styles my hair looked long and lush, but it felt brittle.
    Regimen:
    Cowash - Tresemme Naturals
    Detangle
    Moisturize - Care Free Curl Gold
    Style - EcoStyler Argan Oil Gel
    Air Dry

Night Regimen:
    Moisturize
    Twist
    Silk Bonnet
  • testimony777testimony777 Posts: 237Registered Users
    My shrinkage from fully stretched to curly is quite a bit (a little past BSL stretched and between SL and CBL curly). But my shrinkage from wet to dry is not that bad (wet it is between CBL and APL). My hair is funny though, curly the length doesn't really change until I get to WL stretch, then it goes from Just above CBL to APL curly.
    Hair Stats (CG since 3/31/12)
    Type: 3c/b; Density: M; Texture: F-M; Porosity: L-N

Products
    Cleanser: DevaCurl Decadence No Poo
    Conditioner: DevaCurl Original One Condition
    Leave-in: DevaCurl B'Leave-in
    Stylers: DevaCurl Volumizing Frizz Free Foam, DevaCurl Beautiful Mess, DevaCurl Flexible Hold Hairspray
    Refresher: DevaCurl No Comb Detangling Spray
    Finisher: DevaCurl Shine Spray
    Curly Sara wrote: »

^ Exactly. This right here. Honestly, i just have to take a curl and stretch it and try to remember where it was at last time i stretched it, or straighten to tell the length. Cause with my hair curly it always appears to be around shoulder length. Alwaysss.

The same her.
    Hair type/properties:

• NaturalRemedyNaturalRemedy Posts: 371Registered Users
    50%ish, shrinkage for me lessens as my hair gets longer because of the weight. If I want less shrinkage I just put in a gel, otherwise it'll always shrink up to about 50% or less.
    Mostly 3c and lovin' my curls

This is not a fashion trend, it's not a statement, it's pride for who we are and what we look like. And that is where our true beauty shines.

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fcocoalily%2F" class="Popup
  • LuvcoilsLuvcoils Posts: 11Registered Users
    50%ish, shrinkage for me lessens as my hair gets longer because of the weight. If I want less shrinkage I just put in a gel, otherwise it'll always shrink up to about 50% or less.

Here is another one with mostly 50%. :) Only the curls in the nape have 70% shrinki, because they are very tight and small.
    I think also it lessens as my hair gets longer. I'm very happy, that my hair is growing know. Because of the shampoo it was always brittle and full of spliss. Now I avoid it.
    With Gel it shrinks not so much? I must try it. I do tightly curly. Thats why I usually don't use gel. But this sounds interessting.
    My Hair

I think, I have 3c curls with high porosity and high density.

Haircare:
    *TightlyCurly since January 2011
    *no poo, only Conditioner or the Honey-Egg-Lemonjuicemixture
    *regularly Oilrinsings
    *regularly Hennatreatments
    *sometimes a DC especially post Henna

I'm a German woman. So please be indulgent because of my English.
  • CurlyCarmenCurlyCurlyCarmenCurly Posts: 118Registered Users
    Well, it's almost BSL stretched and shrinks up to just past shoulder curly, depending on the curls of the day.

My hair while curly the other day;

546684_10200218195998007_1345970342_n.jpg

While straight about a week ago;

167486_10200174036414045_197378556_n.jpgSome fun pics;

71659_10200219388227812_1292100301_n.jpg
    391983_10200173909130863_720338249_n.jpg
    401639_10200173921571174_1957883458_n.jpg
    r56gVvd.jpg

3123985.png

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    BSL stretched (longest it's ever been and growing rapidly!), past shoulder curly. Hair goal is hip length.

3a-b/f-m/ii. Soft and silky texture and prone to tangles. Can't get second day hair, even if I kissed the feet of fairy's :neutral:

Follow me on Instagram! Weightlossandcurls.

Pictures (clicky)
  • curlylocs232curlylocs232 Posts: 143Registered Users
    Mine also shrinks a lot. I'm a 3c/4a mix - mostly 4a, and when straight my hair is bra strap length. When it's natural it doesn't even touch my shoulders!
    My daughters hair also has a lot of shrinkage. She is 3c and when straight her hair is waist length but natural it sits just below her shoulders. Someone once said to me "doesn't she want long hair?"!!! Some people....
  • afrosfreemeafrosfreeme Posts: 11Registered Users
    Just measured mine and yikes! My shrinkage is 5 inches. No wonder people can't tell that my hair is growing :-|
  • King_PenguinKing_Penguin Posts: 1Registered Users
    Shrinkage is crazy for me. My hair is a little past shoulder length, yet when I wash it and comb it (with a fine tooth comb) it can shrink so much that it looks like a TWA. It gets really confusing for people when I cycle through different styles; they always ask "did you cut your hair", haha!

If I wash then use a wide tooth comb and braid it, my hair retains a lot more length. But the only way I can see the true length of it is right after a shower.

<--- My avatar pic is a perfect example!