Oh so many questions!

Laura SLaura S Registered Users Posts: 33 Curl Novice
I've been trying CG for quite a while now, and I feel like I still haven't gotten it quite right. From what I can figure out, I'm fine-haired, medium density, medium-high porosity (it mostly floats in the sink/float test, but is definitely bumpy in the strand texture test). I seem to have three different textures: stronger waves (and some ringlets) underneath, waves on the top layers, weak waves in the back. I can't seem to get any good clumping going on the upper layers. My waves disappear really easily: a loose ponytail, or even a steady wind, can make my hair lifeless.

My hair is nice and wavy when I get out of the shower and apply product, but seems to straighten out in the drying process. I typically air-dry, because even using a diffuser creates a lot of surface frizz. I also did ombré on the ends of my hair a few months ago, so they're still rather dry and unhappy. I would never call my hair shiny, not even on a good day.

My avatar is my hair after using the Deva line with the newer ultra defining gel. It's the best second-day hair I've had in a long time, so maybe Deva is right for me. I suppose my questions are: 1) Protein or moisture? Lighter products, or heavy? 2) Is there a way to even out the texture? 3) What types of products should I be looking for: butter, gel, mousse? I clearly need help with definition, hold, and shine.

Sorry for the short essay, but after a few years of experimenting and still not seeing the results of so many people on this site, I'm really at a loss!
Keeping it simple so far...
Shampoo/Condish: Deva Care No-Poo, Wella Brilliance Conditioner for Colored Hair
Currently trying: Deva Ultra Defining Gel

Comments

• Corrina777Corrina777 Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Curl Connoisseur
    It might be hiding a few pages back, but check out the thread called Share Your Hair Biography (it's in 2s forum). The best place to start is to find someone with similar hair properties and see what they use. It sounds like your hair is similar to mine, just not as dense. In general fine hair and higher porosity hair do well with protein. I've found that my hair can't get enough protein. But I also need a good amount of moisture as well- especially since I cleanse my hair daily.
    With fine strands and medium density you might want to stay away from products that are really heavy in oils or butters. My hair twin has slightly less density to her hair than I have to mine and I definitely have a higher tolerance for super-rich products (although in every other way our hair responds almost identically to the same product).

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a/f/iii
    Modified CG since 11/5/11
    CLEANSE: CJ Daily Fix, DevaCare No-Poo, CHS Treatment Shampoo
    RO: SS Caitlin's Conditioner, CJ Beauticurls Strengthening
    LI: SS Repairing Protein Treatment, CHS Silk Leave-In
    STYLE: Re:Coil, Curl Keeper, Deva Ultra Defining Gel, Curls Rock Amplifier,Sweet Curls Elixirs Okra Gel and Hard Hold Gel, SS Curl Enhancing Jelly and Firm Hold Gel
  • Laura SLaura S Registered Users Posts: 33 Curl Novice
    Neat, I'll try to find that thread. Thanks!
    Keeping it simple so far...
    Shampoo/Condish: Deva Care No-Poo, Wella Brilliance Conditioner for Colored Hair
    Currently trying: Deva Ultra Defining Gel

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file