Getting all scientific up in here: ACV

SweetSquatchiiSweetSquatchii Registered Users Posts: 138
Does anyone know what doing an ACV rinse actually does for the hair scientifically? I get AMAZING clumps, tighter curl pattern and shiny results from doing them but it fades after a few days. It sort of does for me what some claim a gelatin PT does. I've tried the gelatin and it def loosens my curls WAY to much. I'm wondering if I can somehow figure out a way to get the same results by figuring out what is it in ACV that gives my hair the boost it needs without doing them rinse style. Thoughts? Am I crazy? I'm in hyper nerd mode.
2C, Medium/Fine, Low Porosity, High Density - CG since 5.19.12
Cowash: Burt's Bee's More Moisture Boabab
Conditioner/LI: Nature's Gate Tea Tree Conditioner - I don't RO
Styling Products: KCCC, KY, Deva Arc AnGel, HESMU

Comments

• txwvy32txwvy32 Registered Users Posts: 161 Curl Neophyte
    That's interesting. Maybe your hair likes the acidity? I know mine doesn't lol, those rinses are hell on my hair. ^_^
    2(I have no idea what pattern), low porosity, mix of medium and coarse, dense

*Have just discovered the amazingness that is the "Spritz and Condish" routine* :toothy10::toothy10::toothy10:

Shampoo: SM Moisture Retention Shampoo
    Co-wash: VO5 Vanilla Mint Tea Clarifying Conditioner
    RO: GVP CB, Garnier Triple Nutrition
    LI : Whatever conditioner I used + EVOO or Argon oil
    Stylers: Organix Moroccan Curling Perfection Defining Creme, EcoStyler Gel (krystal)
  • greytmommygreytmommy Registered Users Posts: 125 Curl Neophyte
    From what I have read the ACV is slightly acidic and when you do the rinse it closes the cuticle and returns the phone of the hair/scalp back to slightly acidic (where washing w/ surfactants or BS makes the hair slightly alkaline.)

My hair likes ACV rinses as well. My hair seems much curlier after I lo-poo w/ BS and rinse w/ ACV and it is also very shiny.
    CG since 6/2012

Hair type: 2a/2b, normal/high porosity, fine, normal density
    Lo: Organix Coconut water shampoo
    Co: Suave Naturals, V05 kiwi lime
    RO: Loreal Total Care
    LI: KCKT, V05
    Style: AIA Curling Jelly, KCCC, Noodle head curling mouse, LALSG, AG Re:Coil
    Methods: icequeen, scrunch n pump, smathers, diffusing

Currently dealing with learning how to style shorter wavy hair...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file