Curly underneath, Straight on Top!

mslexy403mslexy403 Posts: 2Registered Users Curl Neophyte
Hi! I'm new here because I googled my problem and it took me here!

My hair has always been naturally curly. It's diminished in curl over the past few years. I used to be a solid 2b but then it went through a few phases of not wanting to curl after a short haircut. Now that it's growing out and I've challenged myself to not straighten my hair for a month, the curl is returning.

However, it's returning in weird places. The back of my hair is extremely curly. Definitely a 2b. However the front of my hair is maybe a 2a possibly even just straight. It lies flat and with a little bit of hairspray will create volume, but definitely not curl.

Does anyone else have this problem? I love the curl in the back but can't seem to get it to happen everywhere. I usually end up waving the front a bit with my straightener to make it look more even.

I use Tresemme Shampoo and only condition every other wash (I wash every other day). I use Aussie Curling Mousee, Big Sexy Hair mousse, and a dot of a thick gel. It starts off kinda crunchy while it's drying but softens out during the day.

HELP!!

Comments

• KeihsKeihs Posts: 435Registered Users
    Ditto. My hair seems to be curlier on the bottom than the top. Do you ever tie your hair? Maybe it's pulling out your curls? I've also noticed that my hair is curlier when wet, then straightens out when dry. Does your hair do that too? Now, I don't feel so alone.
  • cmimocmimo Posts: 27Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Just wondering why you condition so infrequently? Curly hair loves moisture!
    Clean: SM Moisture Retention Shampoo
    Condition: SM Restorative Conditioner, Ion Effective Care Treatment, GVP Conditioning Balm
    Style: AIACJ, L'Oreal Everstyle Strong Hold Defining Gel, BRHG
  • cristeannacristeanna Posts: 2Registered Users
    my hair does this too! 2a on top/in the front, curls up nicely in the back. ugh. so frustrating. sorry, no tips here, i'm new to all this. but thought i'd share my similar experience
  • txwvy32txwvy32 Posts: 161Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    My daughter has this issue, super wavy hair underneath a layer of straight hair on top. She is only 5 though so I don't do anything to encourage the top to be wavy and just let it be.

You could try using those curl tubes from Sallys, I forget what they're called, but they're no heat curlers. You put your hair in the tube and it curls it. Maybe if you sleep in them when you wake up in the morning your straight layer will match the rest of your hair? Just a hairspray and go kind of thing? The only other way I know to encourage curl is scrunching or try blending your straight layer with clumps of curly layers and twirling them together to encourage the curls. Sometimes there's just nothing you can do though, like my daughter she's got the top straight layer that makes her hair look straight, but then you pick up that layer and there's all these waves underneath.
    2(I have no idea what pattern), low porosity, mix of medium and coarse, dense

*Have just discovered the amazingness that is the "Spritz and Condish" routine* :toothy10::toothy10::toothy10:

Shampoo: SM Moisture Retention Shampoo
    Co-wash: VO5 Vanilla Mint Tea Clarifying Conditioner
    RO: GVP CB, Garnier Triple Nutrition
    LI : Whatever conditioner I used + EVOO or Argon oil
    Stylers: Organix Moroccan Curling Perfection Defining Creme, EcoStyler Gel (krystal)
  • anonymous_125408anonymous_125408 Posts: 45Registered Users
    cmimo wrote: »
    Just wondering why you condition so infrequently? Curly hair loves moisture!

I second this! Additionally, besides damage from straightening, another reason your top layers may not curl or wave up as much is because they dry first while the layers underneath stay damp/wet longer, encouraging the natural wave pattern. This is another indication that your hair needs more moisture if you want it to reach full wavy/curly potential!
    2a/b, high porosity, fine strands, average density, just about shoulder blade length

My hair loves moisture!

currently mod-cg , using low-poo and not totally cone-free yet. I'll get there though!
  • anonymous_125408anonymous_125408 Posts: 45Registered Users
    txwvy32 wrote: »
    My daughter has this issue, super wavy hair underneath a layer of straight hair on top. She is only 5 though so I don't do anything to encourage the top to be wavy and just let it be.

Sometimes there's just nothing you can do though, like my daughter she's got the top straight layer that makes her hair look straight, but then you pick up that layer and there's all these waves underneath.

My daughter is exactly the same lol, and she's 6. She has a lot of hair too, so I tend to think it's the same issue where the under layers stay wet longer and the top dries faster. I haven't really tried to do anything about it yet.
    2a/b, high porosity, fine strands, average density, just about shoulder blade length

My hair loves moisture!

currently mod-cg , using low-poo and not totally cone-free yet. I'll get there though!
  • stephanietstephaniet Posts: 3Registered Users
    This is my hair as well. I would say that it's 3a underneath, 2c in the canopy towards my face, and 2b in the canopy in the back. Frustrating!

Do you people ask your hairdressers to cut accordingly for this? I.e. your canopy needs to be cut a bit shorter than normal because the hair underneath will shrink so much more when drying?
  • granolabeangranolabean Posts: 1Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    i have a layer of hair that is always less curly, maybe a 2a underneath, but my hair underneath is more of a 2c/3a, i was thinking about getting leyers if they would help, or going curly girl. i also flip my hair from one side part to another a lot, so that may be whats messing with it. i really dont know what to do and would love help!
  • liv-waters03liv-waters03 Posts: 1Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    About 1 and a half years ago I grew out my hair and it was always wavy but I seemed to have lost the curl I used to have when I was younger. Well, to get the curly hair I wanted, I would take a shower and french braid it every night not knowing how much damage that could do to my hair. After about 4-5 months of this, my mom noticed my hair was thinning out and got us both worried. We went to my hairdresser and she informed me that I couldn't do that to my hair and I ended up getting about 5 inches of my hair cut off. Before the thinning out, I didn't have extremely thick hair but it also wasn't thin either. After I got it cut, it still was thin. We have done everything but it just doesn't seem like it will ever come back. When the broken strains of my hair began to grow back, they were curly but now the top layer of my hair is barely wavy. I can't straighten my hair because it ends up looking super thin & I can't pull it back either because it still looks thin. I curl it a lot but I know that isn't healthy for my hair. Any tips? 
  • hmr1016hmr1016 Posts: 66Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I have the same issue. I noticed that when I use a daily or deep conditioner that has protein in it, my straighter top layers become more defined. Even then, those waves still don’t seem to know what to do but it’s still an improvement!
    Current 2B/2C Routine:
    Cleanse -  NYM Curl Talk Shampoo or NYM Clean Freak Cleansing Conditioner
    Condition - Elucence Moisure Balance Conditioner
    Treatments - Olaplex (step 3) or Elucence Moisture Repair Treatment
    Style -  Briogeo Rosarco Milk Leave In + AG Re:Coil

• SheenaRSheenaR Posts: 1Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    I have the same exact issue! I have 2b/2c hair underneath and straight to minimally wavy on the top.  I have been thinking, as a previous poster said, that is it due to the outside layer of my hair drying faster and falls straight (it looks wavier when wet then falls). I have thin hair but thick density, making me think that it is a moisture issue since my hair is dense and the underneath portion maintains more moisture. I do need a haircut and hope this will help when there's less weight on the hair (Its pretty long).  I am so new to all this I dont know what to put in my hair to add moisture without making it greasy/oily the next day (I dont wash daily either, but always condition when I wash and detangle with a comb then air dry, i dont like using heat to dry).  Thank you for any tips/tricks! 
  • Joyce DJoyce D Posts: 1Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    I was starting to think it was just me! 2b-3a underneath and in back. Almost a straight layer on top. Drives me bonkers. The only thing I’ve found is to do some quick finger coils with extra gel on my fingertips all around my crown before I plop. A teeny bit time consuming but just 4-5 on each side with maybe 3 in the back. I’ve been trying to find a super curl enhancer to use on that top layer but no luck so far. 
  • kielbasyakielbasya Posts: 0Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    I have the same problem, went to get a haircut a few days ago and the hairdresser told me it was because I wear my hair in a ponytail so often - the front strands get stretched out and lose their curl. I've started wearing my hair down more often and am going to try a protein treatment.
  • Miso907Miso907 Posts: 0Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    I have the reverse of this. Curly by my face, wavy at the back and straight-ish underneath. The hair on one side of my head is curlier than the other too. I've worn my hair in a high ponytail for the majority of my life and fought my texture tooth and nail. I've just recently taken the plunge and I'm trying to embrace it.
  • DawnioDawnio Posts: 0Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    Myself and my 15 year olds also have this problem! We always say if we put our heads on upside down it would look better! I’ve just started using only curls London .... I stopped straightening a year or more ago. Struggling with frizz but have read lots of things today so I’m hoping this all helps.
  • MyahMaeMyahMae Posts: 0Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    I get this too... I was told it was damage from pollution and weather that causes this. I like to go for a half up/half down style to show off the wavier bits of my hair! Also, whilst it’s drying it it’s drying naturally (whilst your out and don’t want to rock the plop), take the top layer and put it up in a half bun- but accordion it like you do with plopping. This will encourage it to dry in the curl pattern :):):)
  • JanidooJanidoo Posts: 0Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    Hello ... I'm so happy to read that I'm not alone with this weird issue. My hair looks like a mixture of different patterns. The top layer is almost straight but can be a 2b when there's enough moisture. Underneath I have 2a, 2b, 2c and even a few 3a strands (behind my ears). Finger Curling doesn't help eather. I coloured my hair 2 years ago and there's still a little damaged hair left, at the end of the top layers strands. Maybe this could be a reason, additionally to the fact that the top layer hair dries much faster than the rest. I was hoping that the day I will cut off these ends would make a change. But I'm not sure about that, because the hairs underneath are healthy and natural. Nevertheless the pattern ist mixed as mentioned above. I didn't know that I'm a wavy-curly since I started to use natural soap instead of silicone shampoos. Now I'm combining soap with conditioner, styling cream and gel and trying my best to get the right amount of moisture and proteins. But having medium to fine hair, too much of product will weigh it down. Sometimes I'm left with hanging strands looking like "Spaghetti".

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file