Is all frizz a bad thing?

rapunzel4everrapunzel4ever Registered Users Posts: 557
Since I went natural,stopped brushing my hair and got the half of my length cut off, I am noticing increased frizz. I remember having the same kind of thing as a child and that was the reason for me to let my hair grow long enough to get it to fall straight. (never thought of it as wavy/curly since everybody in my family was straight haired at that moment) Well, wearing it tailbone length for years did the trick..you might call it natural straightening :laughing7:

Obviously now I am encouraging my hair to be wavy/curly and all the new hairs that are growing in are curly and standing outwards, especially in humid weather.
It sorta looks awkward, because the texture of my hair is so different all over now. Is this like transitioning??

Okay, so..It looks like frizz, but when I look closely it is all curly hair standing outwards. But isn't that what curly hair, when healthy, is supposed to do?
So, I thought this maybe is NOT the kind of frizz I want to kill, but new curls I'd like to encourage...

Does this sounds familiar to anyone?
And what do you do or don't do about it?

2B/C-3A) fine - low porosity
Routine:
Wash: Daily Fix,SMT, Kesham, Urtekram
RO: Motions CPR Li, Inecto Cocos co, AO GPB, KCTT
acv-rinse, sometimes honey-rinse
LI: coconut oil (winter), CJBC-LI
Styling: AVG, Etos Solid Power Gel, Taft gel, CJPP, JCCC, BRHG
Plopping~Pixiecurl diffuse~clipping
KrullenWijzer.blogspot.nl

Comments

• EuryaleEuryale Registered Users Posts: 1
    Since starting CG, I've gone from waist-length to shoulder length and now I'm seeing the same kind of frizz! It's an inch high on Day 1 and 2 inches high on Day 2. I normally use HETT, but I apply a heavier gel on the top of my head to keep them down. I also add a little bit of jojoba oil so it looks less dry and flyaway. I'm sure they'll be good little curls someday, but for right now they just make me look unkempt.
  • txwvy32txwvy32 Registered Users Posts: 161 Curl Neophyte
    Just want to let the OP know that i'm dealing with the same thing. I shed a LOT because I have tons and tons of hair and the new hair that grows back is spirally. At first, until very recently actually, I thought it was just frizz because they stick out everywhere but when I look at them individually I realize they are not frizz, just curls that don't want to play nice with the clumps, they want to break free and do their own thing. I saw this "skip curl" technique on youtube that SIGNIFICANTLY cut down on this girls frizz and stray curls. You might want to try it. I haven't had the opportunity yet to try it but I can't wait to! I only learned about it last night. So far i've just been using olive oil to tame them down after my hair is dry :S Not my favorite thing to do and it still looks "messy" but it's better than if I don't.
    2(I have no idea what pattern), low porosity, mix of medium and coarse, dense

*Have just discovered the amazingness that is the "Spritz and Condish" routine* :toothy10::toothy10::toothy10:

Shampoo: SM Moisture Retention Shampoo
    Co-wash: VO5 Vanilla Mint Tea Clarifying Conditioner
    RO: GVP CB, Garnier Triple Nutrition
    LI : Whatever conditioner I used + EVOO or Argon oil
    Stylers: Organix Moroccan Curling Perfection Defining Creme, EcoStyler Gel (krystal)
  • dannegerousdannegerous Registered Users Posts: 70
    I understand that a lot of people aren't big fans of frizz and they prefer their waves/curls to be sleek. And not all frizz is created equal.

I actually am a fan of what I call 'fashion frizz', though I have not figured out how to actually style my hair that way.

209558188881938643_eJrLINBX_.jpg62346776061523005_T8g53Fsq_c.jpg209558188881938643_eJrLINBX_c.jpg58757970108690414_FeQddumQ_c.jpg177329304047777079_TRhyqzO7_c.jpg
    CG since May 2012
    Curl Pattern: 2c, Texture: coarse, Porosity: low, Density: thick, Elasticity: low
  • anonymous_22139anonymous_22139 Registered Users Posts: 659 Curl Neophyte
    My hair is somewhat thin and coarse. A bit of frizz actually makes it look thicker. If I use a heavy styling cream that makes noodley defined curls, you can actually see my scalp which I hate, hate, hate!

I actually like to wear my hair with a bit of frizz among the more defined curls - it helps it look fuller and thicker than it actually is,
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 20,730 Curl Virtuoso
    I'm another one who actually likes some frizz. It gives hair volume and makes it bigger and wilder, which I happen to like.
    I think it's a natural thing, due mostly to humidity, and doesn't mean that one's hair isn't healthy.
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • AlycatAlycat Registered Users Posts: 58
    My hair is super fine and if I have no frizz then I have no volume either. The odd time I have managed to smooth my hair out totally it's been very, very limp.

I'm going to start thinking of my fluffy bits as just curls that want to do their own thing, as txwvy said. The trouble is, all my hair wants to do its own thing and I'd like at least some of it to do what I want for a change!
  • txwvy32txwvy32 Registered Users Posts: 161 Curl Neophyte
    I'm another one who actually likes some frizz. It gives hair volume and makes it bigger and wilder, which I happen to like.
    I think it's a natural thing, due mostly to humidity, and doesn't mean that one's hair isn't healthy.

You know, that made me feel better. ^_^
    2(I have no idea what pattern), low porosity, mix of medium and coarse, dense

*Have just discovered the amazingness that is the "Spritz and Condish" routine* :toothy10::toothy10::toothy10:

Shampoo: SM Moisture Retention Shampoo
    Co-wash: VO5 Vanilla Mint Tea Clarifying Conditioner
    RO: GVP CB, Garnier Triple Nutrition
    LI : Whatever conditioner I used + EVOO or Argon oil
    Stylers: Organix Moroccan Curling Perfection Defining Creme, EcoStyler Gel (krystal)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file