In denial that I have wavy hair, so lost, please help! *pictures at the bottom*

Bella6Bella6 Registered Users Posts: 8
Hello everyone! I am so glad to have found this forum. I am hoping to ask for some help with my hair~!

ETA: I just added pictures of my hair in my last post :)

I am 33 years old and have always thought I had straight hair :D I always knew it was puffy, but I was in total denial that it was wavy.

I recently found a new hairdresser who I love. The first time she cut my hair she round brush/dried it and straightened it with a flat iron, like I usually do. But this last time after she washed it she looked at me and said " you have curly hair" and she asked if she could try styling it as such. I humored her thinking it would flop and be a frizzy puffy mess but she put some stuff in it and diffused it and viola I had waves! When I got home my husband asked if I had gotten a perm.

My hair is VERY thick and heavy. I have tons of it. Its long, bra strap length and on the dry side, I wash my hair twice a week (right now I am using redken's smooth down). I am going to try and embrace the wave but honestly it scares me!

I have been treating my hair as staight my entire life. It is so heavy and thick that I worry that no matter what I do the waves will be flat and droopy by the end of the day, and my hair is very prone to being puffy, its as if it expands. I also worry that I don't have enough wave/curl to make it look good.

I called my bff who has naturally beautiful curls (tighter more bouncy ones) and asked her for her help. We went to target and she suggested a cream and diffuser, so I bought a new blowdryer w/diffuser and a bottle of Samy big curls lightweight curl creme.

I am sorry this is a long message, but I truly don't know what to do with my hair and I would love some help from the more experienced people on this board!

Is the shampoo/conditioner I am using sufficient? What about the styling product and diffuser I bought? What should I be doing and how should I be doing it? What do I do on the days where I dont wash my hair? How do I know if I have enough curl or wave to be concidered a curly girl?

Im embarrassed to say I don't even know what kind of wave I have since I always wear my hair straight. Thank you ahead of time for your help!

Comments

• Ml001Ml001 Registered Users Posts: 354
    Welcome! :)

First off, never leave that stylist. That is really awesome you have a seemingly knowledgeable curly stylist and didn't even know you needed one. lol

Second, you are not straight, therefore, you are a curly girl. :toothy7:

I also did not know I had curly hair until last year...I am 40-ish (I don't want to do the math haha). At any rate...old enough to make you not feel so bad. ;)

Please start here: Curly Hair Tips, Styles & Products - NaturallyCurly That will help you discover your hair types and then you can begin to figure out what products will work best for your hair.

And you may wish to check out the Curly Girl Handbook by Lorraine Massey.
    remember, with all advice or suggestions for your hair, YMMV!! :read2:
    My hair:
    2b wavy, medium texture, low porosity, med-high density. Protein finicky.
    My routine:
    Cleansing: DCNP, every 4-5 days (occasionally use CJ cleansers).
    RO: CJSC, occasionally use JCDC
    LI: KCKT or CJSL
    Gel: KCCC, CJCIAB for 2nd day hair (sometimes third)

Heat is my friend: warm water rinses, steam caps, and diffuse dry. I love CLU cloths and my Denman.
  • KeihsKeihs Registered Users Posts: 435
    Maybe you should try the curly girl method. Like you, I always though I had weird straight hair that has a slight bend and poofs up whenever I try to brush it, but the curly girl method made a big difference.
  • Bella6Bella6 Registered Users Posts: 8
    thanks!

Since I have never embraced my non-straightness I am not really sure but I would guess I'm a 2b. I definately don't have fine or thin hair so I guess not a 2a. My hair sounds more like 2b, except my curls/waves seem bigger?

I need to start somewhere I suppose, so while I research what the right products for my hair are, is the stuff I mentioned above OK to use? Are all diffusers/blow dryers the same?

I have read about the curly girl method with no shampoo, but my question is what do you do when your scalp gets oily? I can go many days without washing my hair at all and most of my hair is fine, but after a few days the hair along my scalp gets oily. Will conditioner only methods get rid of that?

Thanks for the help... I am feeling like I can get one foot in the door :)
  • claudine19claudine19 Registered Users Posts: 4,486
    I would guess that your waves are unlikely to fall flat by the end of the day, since you describe your hair as tending to swell or "poof."

Waves are great ---- lots of fun. Enjoy!

Oh, and I agree: stick with your stylist.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dogs and nature abhor a vacuum.
    http://geaugadoggy.wordpress.com
  • KeihsKeihs Registered Users Posts: 435
    Bella6 wrote: »
    thanks!

Since I have never embraced my non-straightness I am not really sure but I would guess I'm a 2b. I definately don't have fine or thin hair so I guess not a 2a. My hair sounds more like 2b, except my curls/waves seem bigger?

I need to start somewhere I suppose, so while I research what the right products for my hair are, is the stuff I mentioned above OK to use? Are all diffusers/blow dryers the same?

I have read about the curly girl method with no shampoo, but my question is what do you do when your scalp gets oily? I can go many days without washing my hair at all and most of my hair is fine, but after a few days the hair along my scalp gets oily. Will conditioner only methods get rid of that?

Thanks for the help... I am feeling like I can get one foot in the door :)

You could start with finding your hair properties first. I think there's a good site for that, livecurly something, can't remember. Maybe someone will pitch in. Anyways, it can help you find what kind of products your hair likes and needs. Not everyone's hair is the same. What works for me may not work for you. For the CG method, there tends to a transition period where hair tries to adjust and adapt to the new method of not drying out oils, but it'll pass. I didn't really have one, or notice anything, but that's just me. Though I did notice that with certain conditioner my hair got oilier quickly, but most of the time it felt right. For oily days, you could try cornstarch (light hair) or cinnamon or cocoa powder (dark hair) drizzled on your scalp to help soak up the excess oils, kind of like a dry shampoo, then combed out. Good luck!
  • rapunzel4everrapunzel4ever Registered Users Posts: 557
    Hey there welcome! Same as you I also came to realize in my thirties that I'm a wavy/curly and not a straight haired person. I am with Keih's that it would really help if you find out what your hair properties are, even more than knowing your curl pattern (cause the pattern tend to change with weather, length and caring for your curls)

Everything for newbies: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/newbies-info-introductions/101426-ton-useful-information-new-curlies-%3D.html

Then you might want to read this blog, with lots of info on the Curly Girl method and also a lot of usefull links.

The college curly blog: The College Curly: Laura Lee's All In One Guide to Going CG: Now Revised and Updated!

Here you find a lot of info on CG and a list of product ingredients and what they do:
    Live Curly Live Free - Curl Care

For caring for your hair now: the diffuser is very good for drying your hair and enhancing curls without the frizz. Make sure you diffuse as cool as possible, not diffuse to completely dry (for it encourage frizz) and don't touch your hair till completely dry. (I always pixiecurl diffuse http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/general-discussion-about-curly-hair/34025-what-pixie-curl-diffusing-method.html)

For styling, it's all try and error I'm afraid.
    This is what I do: After washing and conditioning you can use the curl cream in wet hair to enhance curls/clumps by scrunching upwards. Then you can plop for a while, lets say 5-10 min. scrunch out extra water with a microfibre cloth or a cotton diaper or t-shirt (anything with a smooth surface). Let's say: give every strand one firm scrunch, so you don't make your hair too dry at this point. Scrunch in gel or mousse (what you like best). At this point you can either plop again for a short while or just scrunch again carefully with a t-shirt/mf towel/cotton diaper until your hair feels dry enough to diffuse.
    Make sure you don't dry your hair too much or it will already frizz before you diffuse! (If this happens you can always spray your hair with some water to moist it again.)

This is my routine, so it might not work for you as it does for me. You might want to experiment with how wet your hair is before putting in styling products and with a lot of other things. It helps a lot if you know your hair properties. It might take a while before you find your own routine. Or when you've found a routine the weather changes and you might need different products and handling.
    Good luck and have fun experimenting!

2B/C-3A) fine - low porosity
    Routine:
    Wash: Daily Fix,SMT, Kesham, Urtekram
    RO: Motions CPR Li, Inecto Cocos co, AO GPB, KCTT
    acv-rinse, sometimes honey-rinse
    LI: coconut oil (winter), CJBC-LI
    Styling: AVG, Etos Solid Power Gel, Taft gel, CJPP, JCCC, BRHG
    Plopping~Pixiecurl diffuse~clipping
    KrullenWijzer.blogspot.nl
    thanks everyone for all the help! I've been doing a bunch of reading :) I realized that I onl have one product that is silicone and sulfate free, so I need to order some stuff :) What are your favorite shampoo/conditioners for 2b? That won't break the bank!

ETA: I tried my hand at fixing my hair with what I have at home.
    This is my hair just out of the shower: http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j222/sesa70/For%20sale/003.jpg

This is after trying (relatively unsuccessfully) at fixing it:
    http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j222/sesa70/Untitled.jpg

Do i qualify as a wavey girl? I'm still not sure! LOL!
    Me again :) sorry to be so annoying!

What do you do on day two or three? Do you wash again? re wet? How do I style?

I can't seem to find products that are inexpensive... does anyone have suggestions?
  • rapunzel4everrapunzel4ever Registered Users Posts: 557
    You are a wavy, no doubt about that ;-) . I am a Dutch wavy and buy house/home brands of drug stores when I don't want to spend too much money. I've learned my hair properties and how my hair reacts to some ingredients in products, that is my guide to choose the right products.

I find that the right routine is much more important than the products. I use something for enhancing curls, I plop so the products have time to interact with my low porous hair and I use something to give it hold and prevent frizz at the same time (hard hold gel). And pixiecurl diffusing helps a lot.

When I have a good first day and pineapple at night, I can have a 2nd and sometimes a 3rd day with no effort at all, sometimes put my hair up or in a braid the 4th day and then it's washing time..

Sometimes I Spray my hair on a 2nd/3rd day with some water (usually with some CO added) and scrunch a bit of hard hold gel (or sometimes a curl mousse) in my hair and diffuse for a short while.
    _____
    2B med/fine- low porosity- normal elasticity, BSL
    2B/C-3A) fine - low porosity
    Routine:
    Wash: Daily Fix,SMT, Kesham, Urtekram
    RO: Motions CPR Li, Inecto Cocos co, AO GPB, KCTT
    acv-rinse, sometimes honey-rinse
    LI: coconut oil (winter), CJBC-LI
    Styling: AVG, Etos Solid Power Gel, Taft gel, CJPP, JCCC, BRHG
    Plopping~Pixiecurl diffuse~clipping
    KrullenWijzer.blogspot.nl

Leave a Comment