Moisturizers that don't have water in them

bklyn_bellebklyn_belle Registered Users Posts: 423
This winter I want to try braiding my hair. Unfortunately, I attempted to use my usual castor oils and coconut oils on my dry blown-out (into a fro) hair and it is a disaster. Oils only work on my wet hair, so I tried to use butters but that didn't work either because water was the first ingredient which equals monster reverting. Any suggestions on waterless moisturizers that I can use to start the braiding process?
Texture: proud 4a (3c at the nape).
Regimen: co-wash everyday.deep condition, de-tangle and seal once a week.
Current Favs: Treseme Naturals shampoo & conditioner, wide tooth comb, coconut oil, Shea Moisture curling smoothie, ampro clear styling gel .
Protective Style: buns

visit my fashion & culture website: http://www.beautyandthestreetmag.blogspot.com

Comments

• CerendipityCerendipity Registered Users Posts: 5,091 Curl Novice
    pomades

anything that doesnt have water or aloe vera juice/gel isnt considered a moisturizer if im not mistaken

Most pomades are butters without water/liquid
  • adthomasadthomas Registered Users Posts: 5,525 Curl Neophyte
    pomades

anything that doesnt have water or aloe vera juice/gel isnt considered a moisturizer if im not mistaken

I have never heard of a hair moisturizer that didn't have water or at the very least AVJ. Someone posted in 4b about moisture making people's hair greasy which baffles me because I don't understand how water can make greasy.

http://m.dictionary.com/d/?q=moisture&o=0&l=dir
    Yes, it's real. No, you can't touch it. :wav:
  • hippychichippychic Registered Users Posts: 4,673 Curl Neophyte
    This winter I want to try braiding my hair. Unfortunately, I attempted to use my usual castor oils and coconut oils on my dry blown-out (into a fro) hair and it is a disaster. Oils only work on my wet hair, so I tried to use butters but that didn't work either because water was the first ingredient which equals monster reverting. Any suggestions on waterless moisturizers that I can use to start the braiding process?
    grease

and i agree with shawny oops cerendipity :)
    LOIS (OS); cottony, TYPE 4 hair, fine/med strands; no cones bcz my hair hates them; last relaxer '98; now low porosity:?, ignores most natural hair rules; BC #8

faves: suave, v05 shampoo, conditioner (my own), raw shea butter, castor oil, peanut oil, aloe juice
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • bklyn_bellebklyn_belle Registered Users Posts: 423
    pomades

You're right, they aren't moisturizers. So I guess it would only make sense to do my usual moisturizing before the blow out process then use a pomade for 'slip' while braiding. This is what I need because the last time I tried braiding my hair with natural oils after blow drying all I heard was snap-crackle-pop.
    Current Favs: Treseme Naturals shampoo & conditioner, wide tooth comb, coconut oil, Shea Moisture curling smoothie, ampro clear styling gel .

visit my fashion & culture website: http://www.beautyandthestreetmag.blogspot.com
    hippychic wrote: »
    grease

and i agree with shawny oops cerendipity :)

Grease sounds like a good idea. Time to hit up my local beauty supply! Any suggestions?

• Truqueen01Truqueen01 Registered Users Posts: 202
    In the winter, I love Hairveda Almond glaze or Qhemets Amla Nourishing pomade for mini twists & flat twist up-dos. I layer these on well moisturized dry hair. Both seal very well & the scents are light enough to not be annoying for my protective styles.
    Thanks, I am going to check em out. I admit it is hard to keep up with all the brand names lol.

• naturalyogininaturalyogini Registered Users Posts: 430
    Botanical Spirits Avocado Coconut butter. It's thick and quite moisturizing. The 4oz jar will last the entire winter as you don't need much.
    Visit http://mycurlymane.com for product reviews and tips - created to inspire other curlies and share stories about naturally curly hair, spirituality, and life’s journey.:hello2:
    • Conditioner: Herbal Essence Hydralicious
    • Leave-in: Beautiful Textures
    • Oils: Dabur Vatika, pure Coconut Oil, Almond, Jojoba, and JBCO
    • Reliable Stylers: Aloe Vera Gel and Eco Styler Gel
    • Go-to Curly Styles: Wash 'n Gos and Braid-outs

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file