New to the wavy thing - HELP!

new_wavenew_wave Registered Users Posts: 2
So I'm brand spanking new to this wavy hair thing. I am type 2A (I think), and have always just treated my hair as though it is straight (shampoo and conditioner every other day, blow dry, no product). I am no fuss, low maintenance, and don't want to do anything that requires a lot of time or work. I also don't want to spend a boatload of money. I am a little overwhelmed about all the information out there, and am looking for some advice on how to get started in a minimal fashion.

It sounds like I could completely give up shampooing and use a conditioner only, correct? Or would I still need to shampoo every now and then? What products do I need for in the shower (I am really only willing to have two in-shower products at this point).

For styling, what kind of gel should I use? I went to a great curly salon recently and they explained that you put the gel in, let the hair dry, and then scrunch the hair to get the gel cast out. I tried that with a gel I already have at home (Pureology), but it doesn't scrunch out and then it feels like I'm wearing stiff heavy product all day (and it looks like that, too).

So, if anyone could break it down for me and make it as simple as possible - 2 or 3 products total, not a lot of choices or time-consuming steps - I would really appreciate it! I am feeling overwhelmed and am afraid I may just end up abandoning this whole thing, but I'd love for it to work out.

Comments

• wavyrachelwavyrachel Registered Users Posts: 28
    Hi and welcome to the world of wavies! I know this whole thing can be super confusing.

Here is the basic gist of it.

1. Stop using sulfates and silicones. You most likely know this but I will say it anyways! No ingredients that end with -cone, - xane, or - conol. (-one is fine).

2. Determine weather you have fine, medium or coarse hair. Based on this determine if your hair wants protien of not. Look for articles on protien.

3. Don't co-wash. (conditioner wash). Since you have 2a hair it will most likely weigh down your hair. Instead try a sulfate and silicone free shampoo and conditioner set. Live clean is a good drugstore option. Make sure the produsts arn't to heavy. ( Yes to Carrots is very heavy.)

4. Style your hair. Use a firm hold gel over top of a leave in (leave in optional). Add mousse if wanted. Plop (look this up too) and leave thee plop on for a while then difuse dry or air dry.

Products:
    Shampoo: Live Clean anything
    Conditioner: I don't know much about conditioners that are CG friendly try live Clean, Yes to carrots ( I like the condish) etc.
    Clarify: Baking soda and apple cider vinigar
    Gel: Flax seed, Herbal essenses body envy or set me up.

Try:
    IAgirl's ptotein treatment
    Flaxseed Gel
    Tea rinses

I forgot to mention to clarify before you start using sulfate free shampoo.
    Also look up any questionable ingredients and term used in here that you may not understand. (Curly lingo is confusing.)

Good luck!!!
    rocking 2c waves with 3a bangs (on a good day)

Modified CG

Low-poo: Yes to Carrots (contains Sodium Coco Sulfate A.K.A. SLS), Live Clean Volumizing
    Co-Wash: Suave Naturals
    Rinse-out Condish: Yes to Carrots
    DT and PT: IAgirl's PT, Enjoy Hair Mask (A-cone):sad1:
    Stylers: Joico Curl Defining Cream/Gel:love4:, Joico Joiwhip, He Body Envy Gel, He Tousle Me Softly Mousse, Boticelli Babes FSG, DIY sea salt spray

I :love4: my difuser
  • asianrunnerasianrunner Registered Users Posts: 2,251 Curl Neophyte
    Shampooing: cut out the sulfates and get a sulfate free shampoo (aka, low poo). I like jessicurl but Giovanni and Shea Moisture are cheaper. Low poos aren't necessary but many wavies like them for build up.

Conditioner: Cut out the silicones. Tresemme Naturals, VO5, Suave Naturals, yes to cucumbers/carrots, Giovanni are all cheap.

Gels: Aussie Instant Freeze, LALSG, KCCC, Ecostyler Krystal. I hated LALSG and Ecostyler but many people like them.

Read this blog. It is very helpful and breaks down the CG method and gives some general recommendations. Feel free to ask more questions!
    Pedaheh's Hair Blog: What do I need to start the Curly Girl method?
    Coarse texture, normal-high porosity, normal elasticity (Komaza Care), very weak waves
    cleanser: Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix

rinse out: GVP Conditioning Balm, CJ Beauticurls, CJ Smoothing

jellies/creams: CR Curl Maker, KCCC
    gels: CJ CQ, CJ Pattern Pusha, BRHG

• Ml001Ml001 Registered Users Posts: 354
    I have wavy hair and I successfully cowash. I had problems finding store brand conditioners that would not build up though Giovanni worked better than the rest. I now use Devacurl No Poo and I love it - gets my hair cleaner than anything else and keeps it cleaner for longer. It is pricey but since I use it much less frequently (and less quantity per use, too) it is actually less expensive in the long run. I actually WO wash more than I cowash now because the DC no poo works so well. Never could do that before. :)
    remember, with all advice or suggestions for your hair, YMMV!! :read2:
    My hair:
    2b wavy, medium texture, low porosity, med-high density. Protein finicky.
    My routine:
    Cleansing: DCNP, every 4-5 days (occasionally use CJ cleansers).
    RO: CJSC, occasionally use JCDC
    LI: KCKT or CJSL
    Gel: KCCC, CJCIAB for 2nd day hair (sometimes third)

Heat is my friend: warm water rinses, steam caps, and diffuse dry. I love CLU cloths and my Denman.
  • new_wavenew_wave Registered Users Posts: 2
    Thanks for the tips! Based on these suggestions as well as the blog link, here's what I'm currently thinking of starting with:

- Sulfate free shampoo (Live clean, Shea Moisture, or Giovanni)
    - Silicone free conditioner (Tresemme Naturals, VO5, Suave Naturals, Yes to Carrots, or Giovanni)
    - Gel (probably Aussie Instant Freeze)

Further questions:
    1) Is styling gel going to make my hair look and feel stiff, or does scrunching the cast out after it dries actually work?
    2) My life/work schedule is most conducive to evening showering. I know, not ideal. But if I were to shower in the evening, apply gel, plop, and sleep with my hair plopped, would that work? Or would I want to plop without the gel and do a little spritz and gel in the AM?
    3) Do I need a curl enhancer in addition to a hold gel? Given that my hair is currently barely wavy, I'm thinking yes? It's just hard to imagine going from no products to *two* styling products.
    4) About plopping: I have tried it with a t-shirt but it didn't work. My hair is pretty short - won't quite all fit in a ponytail, and definitely too short to effectively pineapple. If I get a microfiber turbie twist, can I just use that as long as I make sure to not actually twist any of my hair into the towel?

Thanks again!
  • kstankstan Registered Users Posts: 423
    i know that a few do a nightly style routine and then put their hair up in a silk cap (sally's). AG recoil is a nice curl enhancer, its got a hefty price though. :( and scrunching out the crunch usually works really well, unless you've just got to much in there. that's some trial and error though.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    started CG on 6/25/12. :duckie:
    • 2c with a strait underneath
    • normal elasticity on top, none on the underneath
    • Fine side of Normal
    • Thick hair
    • Poriosity is a mystery. I think its all over the place.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file