Everyday Minerals, what am I doing wrong?

RednaturalcurlsRednaturalcurls Posts: 1,814Registered Users Curl Neophyte
I got a sample of Everyday Minerals and I experimented with it this morning but for some reason I look really powdery right around my nose and mouth. What am I doing wrong? I didn't think I put that much on. Any tips would be appreciated.
Hair Type: mix of 3's, growing out an angled bob, color-treated red.
Current products: GVP conditioning balm for co-wash and leave in, Curl Junkie Curls in a Bottle, Pattern Pusha and Garnier Anti-humidity hairspray
Hair idol: Kimberly Schlapman from Little Big Town

Comments

• esmeraldaesmeralda Posts: 187Registered Users
    What kinda brush are you using?
    The samples are so small really difficult to handle.
    You are supposed to pour a little powder into the cap, swirl your brush in there & buff over your face in circular motions.
    2C/3A,jetblack indian curls:)
  • RednaturalcurlsRednaturalcurls Posts: 1,814Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    It is a small powder brush. I have a slightly larger powder brush but I had trouble with that because like you said, the samples are small and hard to work with.

I read through some of the other posts on mineral makeup and someone mentioned they like a powder puff more than a brush. I have one of those so maybe I will try that tomorrow.
    Current products: GVP conditioning balm for co-wash and leave in, Curl Junkie Curls in a Bottle, Pattern Pusha and Garnier Anti-humidity hairspray
  • curlyjenncurlyjenn Posts: 590Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I don't like that powdery look, either. When I finish applying the mineral makeup, I very, very lightly mist my face with one little spray from my water + glycerin spray bottle. Maybe that would work for you.
    I'm a 3b, with 3c underneath.
    I'm a product junkie. <3
  • velvet pawsvelvet paws Posts: 1,250Registered Users
    I use the BE kabuki brush to put my EM foundation on -- I don't get a powdery look from it. It's a dense brush with fairly firm bristles - maybe the brush you are using is too soft and doesn't blend it properly?

With the samples, I dump a little into a larger lid from another product and use that to swirl it around with the brush and tap off the excess. The tiny lids on the sample containers are too awkward for me to deal with.
    3A / 2B / 2C wavicelli

.png

.png
  • internetchickinternetchick Posts: 6,191Registered Users
    The lids for the samples were much too small for me. I used a clean saucer and put some powder in it. That might be easier for you.
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,722Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    I use velvet powder puffs for my mineral makeup. They're easy to use and they don't produce so much flyaway dust from the makeup.
    And they're soft, disposable, and cheap.
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,259Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Try using a little moisturizer on your skin prior to applying your foundation. Use a "swirly bowl" to get the foundation on your brush...any small bowl will do.
  • RednaturalcurlsRednaturalcurls Posts: 1,814Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    So I tried again today with a powder puff. That worked better. I did use the brush afterwards just to go over a couple spots. I definitely was not as powdery looking. I will still experiment with the brush a little more.
  • ariesxtremeariesxtreme Posts: 123Registered Users
    If you look a bit powdery or there's some spots usually around the nose and so forth you may be a little dry in those areas, extra moisturize the areas prior to using the MMU. Also try using a kabuki brush as they work best and remember to buff buff and buff away. The more you buff the better and more blended in it looks.
  • BrioBrio Posts: 1,432Registered Users
    I didn't have any luck with everyday minerals. It always looked sorta chalky on me. I prefer BE, or my new discovery of super-cheap Jane mineral foundation.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Frizz Happens!
    my Fotki hair journey/experiment diary PW is brio (and I really need to update it!)

3A hair; coloring with henna/indigo since July 2009; normally follow the CG method. Still searching for my HG products!
  • JaxieJaxie Posts: 1,282Registered Users
    I used the lid of my old BE makeup for the samples and I use a kabuki brush from EM. If you have a cold or for any ther reason the skin in those spots is drier that may be why it is coming out looking like that. Try a little extra moisturizer in those spots and it may help too! ~~jax
    2c or 3a Cut most of my hair off in July '12 and am working on regrowing it.
  • sew and sewsew and sew Posts: 3,443Registered Users
    Brio wrote:
    I didn't have any luck with everyday minerals. It always looked sorta chalky on me. I prefer BE, or my new discovery of super-cheap Jane mineral foundation.

Still haven't tryed that out. Thought I'd do a search under EM and bump this thread because I just tryed out the free samples. I used a bit too much but it applies smoother than the L'Oreal Bare Naturales (which I think may have been discontinued) and it looks more natural. Probably will order this product if the Jane isn't as good.

Also I highly reccomend moisturizing with a bit of jojoba oil before application if anyone still has problems with dryness. I actually don't myself because I'm in the small minority where jojoba oil makes me break out a bit, but other than that...love what it does to hair, and despite the areas that broke out, I could tell it's an awesome skin moisturizer. It would probably work great if mixed with water and spritzed on before applying mineral foundation. That is if the jojoba could evenly mix into water, not sure about the chemistry of that.
    “It was only a sunny smile and little it cost in the giving but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living.” - F. Scott Fitzgerald

3B ■ Medium/Course ■ High Porosity
    It would probably work great if mixed with water and spritzed on before applying mineral foundation. That is if the jojoba could evenly mix into water, not sure about the chemistry of that.

Oil and water will never mix...BUT...

Like emu oil, jojoba oil will penetrate the skin fabulously if you mix a few drops of it in the palm of your hand with a few drops of hyaluronic acid (a humescent) and then pat/apply to the face. It goes right into the skin and doesn't leave any oily residue.
    It would probably work great if mixed with water and spritzed on before applying mineral foundation. That is if the jojoba could evenly mix into water, not sure about the chemistry of that.

Oil and water will never mix...BUT...

Like emu oil, jojoba oil will penetrate the skin fabulously if you mix a few drops of it in the palm of your hand with a few drops of hyaluronic acid (a humescent) and then pat/apply to the face. It goes right into the skin and doesn't leave any oily residue.

Interesting, thanks for the info! Saved me from at some point trying the water and jojoba spritzer :lol:

Where can that acid be purchased?
    “It was only a sunny smile and little it cost in the giving but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living.” - F. Scott Fitzgerald

Hyaluronic acid can be purchased many places online, but t his is the cheapest I've found. A 1 ounce "sample" will last a long time...only $5:

http://www.ingredientstodiefor.com/item.php?item_id=126
    Hyaluronic acid can be purchased many places online, but t his is the cheapest I've found. A 1 ounce "sample" will last a long time...only $5:

http://www.ingredientstodiefor.com/item.php?item_id=126

Thanks!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file