Frizz is killing me!

txwvy32txwvy32 Registered Users Posts: 161 Curl Neophyte
I read that article on frizz and I get a lot of the crimp frizz kind, the one she says are curls that want to form but can't clump up? I think that's how she described it, also as they are suffocating (but I get this even with naked hair). Anywho I always thought if I moisturized my hair enough, because it's always dry, then that frizz would go away. No. I am SO sad right now because my curls are mostly well defined, my hair is super soft and moist and not crunchy at all....yet I still have this darn frizz and it's everywhere and it makes my hair look ratty :( I'm at a loss for what to do anymore. Whenever I isolate a wave or curl it's got all these strings of curly crimp hair coming out of it like it's trying to break free :(

Here's my routine: cowash with Tresemme Naturals, I smooth on some Giovanni SAS conditioner and do the rest of my shower. After i'm done I go back into my hair and comb with my fingers (my hair is usually really tangly at this point and hard to comb through even with conditioner). I rinse with warm water and then scrunch some of the water out with my hands. Then I rake some more Giovanni SAS as a leave in and comb my hair through again with my hands, smooth on a few drops of EVOO, rake that in and then blot my hair with a towel for a little bit. I do use the underside of a baby towel that gives me the same results as a tshirt. I then smooth on some Tahlia Waajid Curl Creme in sections with my hands and afterward scrunch in whatever styler i'm using (LA Looks Nutracurl Gel or Pantene Moisturizing Whip). After it's scrunched in good I kind of rake and shake with my hands in sections while it's still very wet and then let it air dry. My hair always immediately frizzes even when it's soaking wet, not understanding why. A lot of my hair right now looks nice, little ringlets and tubes, but inbetween all of it is this frizz that makes it look like I slept in my curls. :(

Any guesses to what i'm doing wrong?
2(I have no idea what pattern), low porosity, mix of medium and coarse, dense

*Have just discovered the amazingness that is the "Spritz and Condish" routine* :toothy10::toothy10::toothy10:

Shampoo: SM Moisture Retention Shampoo
Co-wash: VO5 Vanilla Mint Tea Clarifying Conditioner
RO: GVP CB, Garnier Triple Nutrition
LI : Whatever conditioner I used + EVOO or Argon oil
Stylers: Organix Moroccan Curling Perfection Defining Creme, EcoStyler Gel (krystal)

Comments

• raindearraindear Registered Users Posts: 356 Curl Neophyte
    Post your step-by-step routine including product names. Maybe someone will see something you can add/change/try.
    Be Happy!

Type:2b/3ab?
    Texture:Medium/fine
    Porosity:Normal
    Elasticity:Normal

Experimenting with too many products to name here. All this great info keeps my head spinning. :happy6:
  • cmimocmimo Registered Users Posts: 27 Curl Neophyte
    Instead of just combing your hair with your fingers in the shower, try using an actual comb. I find this helps all my hairs get back into place, and my hair looks less frizzy as a result.
    Clean: SM Moisture Retention Shampoo
    Condition: SM Restorative Conditioner, Ion Effective Care Treatment, GVP Conditioning Balm
    Style: AIACJ, L'Oreal Everstyle Strong Hold Defining Gel, BRHG
  • asianrunnerasianrunner Registered Users Posts: 2,251 Curl Neophyte
    I see you are manipulating your hair quite a bit out of the shower. All the raking and scrunching is probably causing some of your frizz.

Another possibility is some build up. Frizz with wet hair is a good indicator. Maybe try investing in a low poo and see if that helps.
    Coarse texture, normal-high porosity, normal elasticity (Komaza Care), very weak waves
    cleanser: Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix

rinse out: GVP Conditioning Balm, CJ Beauticurls, CJ Smoothing

jellies/creams: CR Curl Maker, KCCC
    gels: CJ CQ, CJ Pattern Pusha, BRHG

• DepressedCurlsDepressedCurls Registered Users Posts: 836
    I have frizz with wet hair. And have for awhile. I low poo every time i wash...but always have gunk on my scalp as well. What's wrong with my scalp/hair?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using CurlTalk App
  • txwvy32txwvy32 Registered Users Posts: 161 Curl Neophyte
    Should I put all my products in at once on top of each other, comb through,and then just scrunch with towel and leave it alone? I'll see if using a comb helps. I had stopped using one because so much hair falls out, but it falls out even with my hands. I just have a ton of hair. Is there any low poo I can get at a drugstore or Sallys?

*Have just discovered the amazingness that is the "Spritz and Condish" routine* :toothy10::toothy10::toothy10:

Stylers: Organix Moroccan Curling Perfection Defining Creme, EcoStyler Gel (krystal)
  • asianrunnerasianrunner Registered Users Posts: 2,251 Curl Neophyte
    Giovanni and Shea Moisture have low poos. I found the Giovanni a little stripping compared to other low poos. I really like Jessicurl but it is a little more expensive.

DC, are you talking about a little white gunk? If so, I wish I had the answer! I deal with it as well and wish I knew how to get rid of it.
    Coarse texture, normal-high porosity, normal elasticity (Komaza Care), very weak waves
    cleanser: Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix

rinse out: GVP Conditioning Balm, CJ Beauticurls, CJ Smoothing

jellies/creams: CR Curl Maker, KCCC
    gels: CJ CQ, CJ Pattern Pusha, BRHG

• susirenesusirene Registered Users Posts: 45
    Txwvy32, I think we have very similar hair! I have this exact problem, but have had some improvement in the last 2 days with this method:

1) lowpoo with Giovanni tea tree
    2) RO with suave ocean breeze
    3) LI KCKT (wide tooth comb through)
    4) rake in KCCC then comb through to establish part
    5) super soaker to clump
    6) straight to plop for 5-10 minutes
    7) smasters with KCCC for about 10 minutes (this makes my hair only ever so slightly dry- barely a dent, really)
    8) Gentle rake and scrunch with HETT to set the canopy

This really seems to clump and set my curls and cut down on the frizz.

Today I tried leaving out super soaker and smasters and it was not good.
    Mod CG since 5/10, 2b/3a, med width/density, low/med porosity, greying since 18, color over grey since 21

Hair hates: non-keratin protein, glycerin, sorbitol, agave, sulfates, polyquats, co-washing (flaky scalp), maybe aloe?
    Hair loves: fewer/more natural ingredients, moisture

Scalp wash: Selsun Blue naturals or reg when desperate
    Low poo: Giovanni TTTT
    RO: SN - Strawberry, ES
    LI: SNES
    Style: HETT mousse, FSG if I make it, ??
    DT: GVPCB
    PT: GVPKP
  • txwvy32txwvy32 Registered Users Posts: 161 Curl Neophyte
    Thank you Susirene! I'll try that and see how it works. One thing, the HETT...is that Herbal Essences Totally Twisted? Is it the gel? ^_^

• DepressedCurlsDepressedCurls Registered Users Posts: 836
    Giovanni and Shea Moisture have low poos. I found the Giovanni a little stripping compared to other low poos. I really like Jessicurl but it is a little more expensive.

DC, are you talking about a little white gunk? If so, I wish I had the answer! I deal with it as well and wish I knew how to get rid of it.

Yes, the white gunk. :/ i low poo everytime religiously i wash my hair though now, which is every other day, and use the spray from shea moisture. It's the black soap line for dandruff and scalp problems and it's clearing up but not all the way. Idk :/

Sent from my SPH-D710 using CurlTalk App
  • susirenesusirene Registered Users Posts: 45
    txwvy32 wrote: »
    Thank you Susirene! I'll try that and see how it works. One thing, the HETT...is that Herbal Essences Totally Twisted? Is it the gel? ^_^

It is - I'm trying it because my hair hates non-keratin protein, glycerin, and sorbitol, and it's one of the few gels that is silicone-free and doesn't have any of those things! (and doesn't cost $20/8 oz)

So far, I like it well enough - my hair doesn't need a lot of hold, just some taming of the frizzies...and I've always loved the smell of HE products!
    Mod CG since 5/10, 2b/3a, med width/density, low/med porosity, greying since 18, color over grey since 21

Hair hates: non-keratin protein, glycerin, sorbitol, agave, sulfates, polyquats, co-washing (flaky scalp), maybe aloe?
    Hair loves: fewer/more natural ingredients, moisture

Scalp wash: Selsun Blue naturals or reg when desperate
    Low poo: Giovanni TTTT
    RO: SN - Strawberry, ES
    LI: SNES
    Style: HETT mousse, FSG if I make it, ??
    DT: GVPCB
    PT: GVPKP
  • rapunzel4everrapunzel4ever Registered Users Posts: 557
    I usually get this sort of frizz when the dews are up and I used LI or stylers with glycerin or panthenol, oh and sorbitol or other "sugary" humectants.

_____
    2B med/fine- low porosity- normal elasticity, BSL
    2B/C-3A) fine - low porosity
    Routine:
    Wash: Daily Fix,SMT, Kesham, Urtekram
    RO: Motions CPR Li, Inecto Cocos co, AO GPB, KCTT
    acv-rinse, sometimes honey-rinse
    LI: coconut oil (winter), CJBC-LI
    Styling: AVG, Etos Solid Power Gel, Taft gel, CJPP, JCCC, BRHG
    Plopping~Pixiecurl diffuse~clipping
    KrullenWijzer.blogspot.nl

Leave a Comment