CurlTalk

Shea Moisture and their rise in prices (in certian areas)

GoldenBlazeGoldenBlaze Posts: 342Registered Users
Shea Moisture got their products on sale online for $7.99 at Walgreens.com, but at 3 different Walgreens I went to in my area, they had everything for $11.99, except the Curl Enhancing Smoothie, Anti-Breakage Mask, and the Curling Soufleé, and those 3 were $13.99. Target, the same thing. 😡😡

I've been using their stuff since late 2010 and now I feel like I have to start all over again. I'm not paying more than $10 for shampoo or conditioners. Now for stylers that's different (in my mind) because you can't find that specific formula everywhere. But 100% organic shampoos that are sulfate free, they are becoming more common than not and I refuse to give SM over $10 for something I can find for $5 that does the same thing.

Now I was already a little heated about that bootleg BOGO sale they had and now this. Im good on stylers. I'm basically starting over to find a financially reasonable line of products as my hair care staple....smh 😡😡

Comments

• MsTextureLuvMsTextureLuv Posts: 6Registered Users
    The Walgreen's in my neighborhood has been charging about what you're finding somewhere between $11.99 and $13.99 for Shea Moisture products, however Target charges $9.99 last I checked which was nearly 1month ago... and they often do bogo's or bogo half off... but in SM's defense EVERYTHING increases when crude oil prices increase... trucking/shipping costs which increases overhead.... its called CAPITALISM, what America was built on... if it works for you... don't make your hair pay... cut back on something else. IJS... LOVE your curls in your pic btw... Be Blessed and Prosper... MsTextureLuv
  • fefe912fefe912 Posts: 570Registered Users
    it's gonna come out to about the same thing if you order it from walgreen's site because of shipping and handling though. Anyways shea moisture products here have always been $9.99-$11.99 depending on the product and target is cheaper than getting shea moisture products from walmart or any other place near me.
  • juanabjuanab Posts: 4,037Registered Users
    I have seen the pricing range from $13.99 - $9.99 for regularly priced products in various areas. The pricing is determined by the seller, not Shea Moisture.

texture - medium/fine, porosity - low/normal, elasticity - normal
    co-wash - NaturelleGrow Coconut Water or Marshmallow Root, Slippery Elm Bark & Blue Malva Cleansing Conditioners
    LI - KCKT mixed w/ SM C & H Curl & Style Milk
    DC - NG Mango & Coconut H2O or Chamomile/Brdck Root
    Gel - SM souffle (winter), KCCC (summer) or CR Naturals Aloe Whipped Butter Gel (year round)
    Sealers - Virgin Coconut Oil, Avocado butter, Aloe butter
    Ayurvedic treatments - Jamila Henna, Sukesh, Aloe Vera Powder, Hibiscus Powder

event.png
  • juanabjuanab Posts: 4,037Registered Users
    fefe912 wrote: »
    it's gonna come out to about the same thing if you order it from walgreen's site because of shipping and handling though. Anyways shea moisture products here have always been $9.99-$11.99 depending on the product and target is cheaper than getting shea moisture products from walmart or any other place near me.

Shipping is free on orders $25 and up on Walgreens.com

texture - medium/fine, porosity - low/normal, elasticity - normal
    co-wash - NaturelleGrow Coconut Water or Marshmallow Root, Slippery Elm Bark & Blue Malva Cleansing Conditioners
    LI - KCKT mixed w/ SM C & H Curl & Style Milk
    DC - NG Mango & Coconut H2O or Chamomile/Brdck Root
    Gel - SM souffle (winter), KCCC (summer) or CR Naturals Aloe Whipped Butter Gel (year round)
    Sealers - Virgin Coconut Oil, Avocado butter, Aloe butter
    Ayurvedic treatments - Jamila Henna, Sukesh, Aloe Vera Powder, Hibiscus Powder

event.png
  • GoldenBlazeGoldenBlaze Posts: 342Registered Users
    If the price was determined by the seller them the prices would be different at Walgreens, CVS and Target. They have all gone up in my area. I'm just gonna find something else. Ain't no way Imma pay more than $10 for shampoo or conditioner. I don't care WHO makes it.
    The Walgreen's in my neighborhood has been charging about what you're finding somewhere between $11.99 and $13.99 for Shea Moisture products, however Target charges $9.99 last I checked which was nearly 1month ago... and they often do bogo's or bogo half off... but in SM's defense EVERYTHING increases when crude oil prices increase... trucking/shipping costs which increases overhead.... its called CAPITALISM, what America was built on... if it works for you... don't make your hair pay... cut back on something else. IJS... LOVE your curls in your pic btw... Be Blessed and Prosper... MsTextureLuv

Thanks. I know about the crude oil theory when it comes to prices. But paying more than $10 for shampoo or conditioner is too much to me, especially in this economic state we are in, especially when a company like Elasta QP has a 100% organic sulfate free shampoo that's less than $5. I'm jus disgusted because the pricing was something that SM always pushed and now they trying to sell people on demand as the reason for higher prices? The SAME trucks u used to transport that $9.99 product is the same one pushing out that $13.99 product. This is greed, plain and simple. Thats unacceptable to me.
    I appreciate the compliment but imma find another product to use. There are plenty natural products that can do the same thing for less price. I'm unemployed and have no choice but to shop economically. But even when I was working, I didn't pay more than $10 for shampoo or conditioner. I'm just frustrated.
  • fefe912fefe912 Posts: 570Registered Users
    juanab wrote: »
    fefe912 wrote: »

Shipping is free on orders $25 and up on Walgreens.com

yea I know, but I wasn't sure if you were just ordering one thing or not, that's y I said that. :)
  • rainboerainboe Posts: 284Registered Users

Thanks. I know about the crude oil theory when it comes to prices. But paying more than $10 for shampoo or conditioner is too much to me, especially in this economic state we are in, especially when a company like Elasta QP has a 100% organic sulfate free shampoo that's less than $5. I'm jus disgusted because the pricing was something that SM always pushed and now they trying to sell people on demand as the reason for higher prices? The SAME trucks u used to transport that $9.99 product is the same one pushing out that $13.99 product. This is greed, plain and simple. Thats unacceptable to me.

I'm pretty sure Shea Moisture doesn't decide what the prices for their products are, because I see them different prices in different places. I've worked in stores, and the store usually sets the price. Shea Moisture might have raised the cost the stores now have to pay, if anything. However, it's just as likely that the stores in your area just decided to raise the prices (they notice what each other charge for things, and try to stay competitive).The prices aren't universally higher. In my area prices on Shea Moisture have not increased; it's still around ten dollars. If you can get the same results at a cheaper price, then you should do that. But don't get mad at Shea Moisture for something that might not be their fault.
    Fine Texture, Normal Porosity, Normal Elasticity. Dyed to brown a few months ago.
    Lowpoo: Trader Joe's TTT Shampoo
    Rinse Out:
    Yes to Carrots, AOHR, Aubrey Organics Rosemary Peppermint
    LI: Yes to Carrots
    Stylers: Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie, LA Looks Sports, Suave Professionals Captivating Curls Whipped Mousse
  • raindearraindear Posts: 356Registered Users
    In most cases, the manufacturer does set the "Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price" (MSRP) for their product. Seldom do most retailers set their price at this point, they set their prices to reflect their acceptable profit margin. Often you will see MSRP posted next to "Sale Prices" to make the savings seem larger than when posted next to "Regular Prices". Sometimes a retailer will even increase prices immediately before a sale so that when they advertise the "sale" prices, the savings will look larger. Often branch stores of chains do set their own prices which is why many retail outlets don't show prices for some items on internet sites, because they won't always be the same within the chain. You can always check other retailers to see if they all show the same markup you have seen recently.
    Be Happy!

Type:2b/3ab?
    Texture:Medium/fine
    Porosity:Normal
    Elasticity:Normal

Experimenting with too many products to name here. All this great info keeps my head spinning. :happy6:
    I know that and thank u. I have decided to explore other natural products that will condition the hair as well as SM at a lower price.
  • happyfacehappyface Posts: 845Registered Users
    I don't see anything wrong with raising the price of a product. Nothing wrong with wanting to grow your business. If you ask for a raise on your job are you being greedy? Shea Moisture reasonably priced to me, but if $10 is your tipping point, then just move on to another brand.
    “Mama says pretty comes in all different sizes. And my size… is cute!” -Honey Boo Boo
    happyface wrote: »
    I don't see anything wrong with raising the price of a product. Nothing wrong with wanting to grow your business. If you ask for a raise on your job are you being greedy? Shea Moisture reasonably priced to me, but if $10 is your tipping point, then just move on to another brand.

I've already said I'm moving on so your point is moot.

I can still state my opinion. You over here trying to shame this company so I can state why I don't think there is anything wrong with what they may or may not have done.
    “Mama says pretty comes in all different sizes. And my size… is cute!” -Honey Boo Boo

I can still state my opinion. You over here trying to shame this company so I can state why I don't think there is anything wrong with what they may or may not have done.

Aint nobody trying to shame nothing. U just trying to start some mess like a school aged child. *neck roll* Well I guess u toooold me... LMAO

Aint nobody trying to shame nothing. U just trying to start some mess like a school aged child. *neck roll* Well I guess u toooold me... LMAO

Girl, this is a forum. We are free to come in and comment as we please. You are the one who chose to post this in the Hall of Shame section.

Girl, this is a forum. We are free to come in and comment as we please. You are the one who chose to post this in the Hall of Shame section.

Well comment then girrrrrrl.
  • ss40ss40 Posts: 1,790Registered Users
    SM is a great brand. The co. is Black owned & they use African imports for their Shea (the dollar stays in our hands a little while longer). So I'm all for them. I love kinky curly too for similar reasons, but their prices are steep (when my income increases I'll add them to my arsenal). At target SM is usually $9.99. Walgreens went up a little to $11.99 & CVS is starting at $10.99. I also noticed Nubian heritage (from the same parent company) is higher in price than SM. I refuse to pay $14 for a tube of anything. So they will have to fix that. There are other brands with similar products but SM is a high quality brand. My strategy is to shop for SM during bogos only or at hair shows where they usually have 3 for $20. I stock up. Another option is the swap board.

Every teardrop is a waterfall
    :nike:About my hair:
    weekly shampoo-HE Honey I'm Strong
    daily conditioner-HE Honey I'm Strong (use as li)
    go to style-Pocahontas braids
    ss40 wrote: »
    SM is a great brand. The co. is Black owned & they use African imports for their Shea (the dollar stays in our hands a little while longer). So I'm all for them. I love kinky curly too for similar reasons, but their prices are steep (when my income increases I'll add them to my arsenal). At target SM is usually $9.99. Walgreens went up a little to $11.99 & CVS is starting at $10.99. I also noticed Nubian heritage (from the same parent company) is higher in price than SM. I refuse to pay $14 for a tube of anything. So they will have to fix that. There are other brands with similar products but SM is a high quality brand. My strategy is to shop for SM during bogos only or at hair shows where they usually have 3 for $20. I stock up. Another option is the swap board.

I do love SM products but the spike in prices has made me want to also research about other good, less expensive natural hair products. I'm always rotating products, so that my hair won't become resistant, so its not a permanent departure for me. Right now I just have to be a little frugal in my spending and paying more than $10 can put a strain on me being a displaced employee. Thank you very much for your understanding and sincere input. My post wasn't to put down the quality of the brand, but to discuss the rise in prices. Have a great day and thanks again.
    I understand your position. You should check out the Walgreens brand. They are trying to compete in the natural game. Its in the same section as SM & twisted sista but they claim to be the best thing since the iPhone 5. You wouldn't know it was manufactured by wakens until you look at the back label. Another brand I find every blue moon is mop. At tjmaxx & marshalls they are selling a liter of conditioner for 14.99. The c-system is great. Right now my budget had me using herbal essences honey I'm strong. It has cones & sulfates but I love it. Do what works for you. SM will be just fine.

I understand your position. You should check out the Walgreens brand. They are trying to compete in the natural game. Its in the same section as SM & twisted sista but they claim to be the best thing since the iPhone 5. You wouldn't know it was manufactured by wakens until you look at the back label. Another brand I find every blue moon is mop. At tjmaxx & marshalls they are selling a liter of conditioner for 14.99. The c-system is great. Right now my budget had me using herbal essences honey I'm strong. It has cones & sulfates but I love it. Do what works for you. SM will be just fine.

I appreciate your recommendations. I was in Walgreens last night. I didn't see a Walgreens brand of natural products, but I'm in the south and they probably just haven't made it down here yet. I got some Cantu Deep Conditioner and Im going to try it. It was on sale for $6.99 and it has some good ingredients. I'm good on stylers because when I was working, I stocked up on my favs. It's the shampoo and conditioners, that I use frequently that I was mostly concerned about.
    The walgreens brand is called bioinfusion. Its a large line with a lot of variety. They have a hydrating conditioner & a color care shampoo that are cone & sulfate free. I think they are priced at the same level as Cantu. God luck with the Cantu, I've heard good things about it.

• yossarianyossarian Posts: 967Registered Users

At my Walgreens, SM is $9.99 across the board, including shampoos, conditioners, hair milks and stylers. CVS is generally more expensive on everything, so I only shop there for BOGOs and special deals.

In addition to the other positive aspects you mentioned (minority owned; sustainable fair trade ingredients), the company is also a community-oriented firm in an area that desperately needs more of them. I used to live about 10 miles from their facility in Amityville, and it's a wonderful example of local entrepreneurship.

The prices seem generally reasonable to me, especially since 1) some of the other lines that are popular here are MUCH more expensive ($19 for 12 ounces of CJ DF??), especially when you take shipping into account, and 2) generous discounts for SM are quite common, so if you're patient you can always get a good deal. This would also explain why the regular prices are a bit high - it helps offset the revenue loss from major promotions.

I stocked up on the Yucca and Baobab when CVS did their bogo 2 weeks ago. At $5.50 per item, both my conscience and my wallet are happy!
    When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. - Jimi
    2c/3a, BSL, medium, low porosity
    Low-poo: Bobeam and CV poo bars; Acure Argan Oil & Stem Cell
    Conditioner: Acure Argan Oil & Stem Cell; Desert Essence Shea
    Stylers: Sweet Curls Elixir Curl Cream; SM CES
    PT: BASK Whiskey Soak
    yossarian wrote: »

At my Walgreens, SM is $9.99 across the board, including shampoos, conditioners, hair milks and stylers. CVS is generally more expensive on everything, so I only shop there for BOGOs and special deals.

In addition to the other positive aspects you mentioned (minority owned; sustainable fair trade ingredients), the company is also a community-oriented firm in an area that desperately needs more of them. I used to live about 10 miles from their facility in Amityville, and it's a wonderful example of local entrepreneurship.

The prices seem generally reasonable to me, especially since 1) some of the other lines that are popular here are MUCH more expensive ($19 for 12 ounces of CJ DF??), especially when you take shipping into account, and 2) generous discounts for SM are quite common, so if you're patient you can always get a good deal. This would also explain why the regular prices are a bit high - it helps offset the revenue loss from major promotions.

I stocked up on the Yucca and Baobab when CVS did their bogo 2 weeks ago. At $5.50 per item, both my conscience and my wallet are happy!

If the 4 Walgreens in my area still had SM for $9.99, this thread wouldn't exist. It's my demographic area which is the cause in the spike in prices. I know that now and I've chosen to explore other options until I can afford to not be so frugal. Now I'm done talking about this. Nothing to do with you Yossarian, but I see this thread is beginning to take a nose dive. Have a great Monday!
  • adthomasadthomas Posts: 5,525Registered Users
    I mentioned this in another thread but the Walgreens prices for SM vary depending on where the store is located. Where I live it's all $9.99 but when I go to Uptown New Orleans the price is higher. But there is also more selection. When I go to Nashville and the selection is better than where I live. IMO a person can't fairly look at the price without comparing ounce. If a conditioner has a cheaper price tag but offers a lot less product then it is not necessarily a better deal. One thing I will say about SM is you get a lot of product and for me because of all the oils, a little goes a long way. I wasn't crazy about the dc masque or the smoothie. The smoothie took me forever and a day to kill the stash. I'm still working on bottles of hair milk I bought years ago. So you do get a lot for your money.

To really save money keep in mind Walgreens is always reducing products for dirt cheap so check often. I tried the Biofusion dc for just a few bucks but it did nothing for my hair. Maybe I will look at the other stuff.
    Yes, it's real. No, you can't touch it. :wav:
  • soleilmoncursoleilmoncur Posts: 1,194Registered Users
    Going to agree with the other posters about the cost of SM depending on the location. I stock up in Miami on the way to France and it's always $9.99 across the board unless it's the new gel which was for $11.99. It's location, location, location. And adthomas was right about the quality of the product and it being able to go a long way. And with the BOGO's you can always stock up without breaking bank. I like CJ products but would never buy it off sale because it's too expensive. But I know I'm going to be using those products forever and it was worth the cost and the wait for a sale. And SM for me has always been consistently good and is black owned and operated so I will spend my money with them. But 99% of the time I buy during BOGO's and that's quite fine for me and even at $12 SM is still cheaper than a lot of the other companies out there and still as good as the most expensive IMO. SM isn't no Afroveda by FAR.

But if it's too much for you then Trader Joes is fine, Sally's has some replica products as well, and you can always go the really really simple route of water, gel, oil, and or shea butter.
    3c/4aish, high porosity, fine strands,medium density cottony curls.

LOVES: (editing)

Save $10
    off your order at Vitacost by clicking here for a code.

I'm not obsessed: I just LOVE my hair!!

event.png

um_no-vi.gif