CurlTalk

Straight Bangs with Curly Hair???

I really want bangs, and i would straighten them. But idk how the would look on my 3c-3b curly hair, but how would that look with straight bangs? I think its really cute, but i want more people's opinion (: my face is sorta round, but it has soft but sharp angles, it that makes sense. All my friends are telling me it would look cute, but i want to know how it would look with my curly hair :c please help! :*

xoxo

Comments

• InaEvaInaEva Posts: 61Registered Users
    I HATE straight bangs with curly hair.
    Mulatto, Long 3B Hair
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Posts: 17,502Registered Users
    I really dislike that look, especially with curly roots, but a lot of people seem to do it.
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
  • CurlyJuliaCurlyJulia Posts: 38Registered Users
    I don't think it's a good look, personally. I let my 'bangs' (such as they are) just curl away.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dye free since 8/2/12
    CG since 6/29/12
    Type: 2c/3a, medium, thick
    Cowash: Suave TC Conditioner
    Poo: SM Coconut-Hibiscus Shampoo
    Curl Enhancment: CJCCCC!!,
    Gels: HETT, BRHG, EcoStyler
    Mousse: Deva Frizz-free Volumizing Foam
    PT: IA Girl's Gelatin PT

Experimenting with VO5 Kiwi-Lime for Condish styling, as well as looking for an affordable substitute for Deva FFVF.
  • KorkscrewKorkscrew Posts: 1,834Registered Users
    I really agree with the gals above ... it just doesn't look right to me. It's a look that a certain part of the female population has enjoyed since the late 1970s, but it was ESPECIALLY popular among a few women in the 1980s.

For me, all that curly hair against a sudden curtain of straight hair looks severe, unnatural and unholy. Don't mean to offend anyone. I'm sure plenty of folks would have issues with some of the styles I choose too.
  • wavysuewavysue Posts: 363Registered Users
    I truly hate the look too, it doesn't blend and looks so unnatural. Wavy girls can get away with it if they are side swept. You haven't specified your hair properties but the curlier the worst it looks :/
    2B waves/ fine-med texture/normal porosity( I think?) trying to figure out my protein needs

AOGPB, SS Caitlins, Garnier Body Boost Condish
    CJ Daily Fix or KC Come Clean
    CJ Curl Fix is true LOVE:compress:
    Love all SS products
    Donna Marie Miragelly & my own FSG
    AG MousseGel
    BRHG
  • colormemichellecolormemichelle Posts: 16Registered Users
    I'm in the process of growing mine out. I have 2A/2B hair, and it looks okay with my waves; however, I'm wanting a more unified look and I hate having to "straighten" my bands every day. They are more side-swept now and I use a curling iron to make them kind of blend with my waves.

The fact that I'm growing them out should really just say it all. I would just go with some shorter layers around your face or something. Layers that can stay curly like the rest of your hair!
    2A-3A, Low Porosity, Protein-Picky

Currently:
    Low-Poo: L'Oreal EverCreme Moisturizing Shampoo
    CO-Wash: L'Oreal EverCreme Cleansing Conditioner
    RO: L'Oreal EverCreme Intense Moisturizing Conditioner
    DT/LI: L`Oreal EverSleek Smoothing Deep Conditioner
    PT: Hask Henna 'n Placenta
    Styler: L'Oreal Everstyle Curl Activating Mousse, LA Bella Curl Gel, TRESemme Hairspray
  • AnnieRoseAnnieRose Posts: 87Registered Users
    I used to do that when I was a teenager. Looking back I think it looks really tacky. Curly side-bangs look so much better.
  • Jas76Jas76 Posts: 2,283Registered Users
    I have mostly 3a curls, and I do sort of straighten mine. Well, I curl them with a 1.25" iron and side sweep them, that is. My curl is slightly looser on front, so left natural they look odd (the curl looks strange) and they seem to blend OK.

I didn't have bangs until a few months ago - I had seen enough pictures of myself to realize I needed them. :/ I sometimes miss having no bangs, but I really look better with them.

But I do agree that really curly hair with really straight bangs doesn't look right, IMO. The curlier it is, the less it seems to work. BUT, do what YOU want, and whatever you feel looks best!
    2c/3a/3b, Fine/med, Dense, high porous, & normal elas.

Lo-poo - Renpure Keratin, SMR, Giovanni SaS
    clarifying - mix Johnson's H2T with low poo
    Co-wash - Suave Nats. clar. or coco.
    RO - GVPCB, Ion Eff. Care, TN.
    LI - SMR, Cure Care, or RO
    Seal - MO or Jojoba
    DT - + honey, ACV, & EVOO to SM masque & GVPCB
    PT - Gelatin!, CNPF
    Styling - FSG, AIF, BRHG, LALS/PS, GF curl spray gel, SM Souffle/Smoothie, LOOB
    Oils - MO!, EVOO, jojoba, GSO, SM Elixer, EVCO, VO5 Hairdressing
  • rudeechickrudeechick Posts: 6,726Registered Users
    I LOVE IT:)
    Curls,Coils,Waves & WhatKnot:geek:
    3miii/My HGs tame bulk&frizz/Give definition w/o crunch
    My Photobucket Album
  • SaraNoHSaraNoH Posts: 827Registered Users
    Ew no. Curl them with an iron if you have to. Mixing significantly contrasting textures usually looks bad. You could always pin your bangs back into place.
    CG Birthday: 7/25/11
    Type 3a/2c
    Dense, Fine in front Coarse in back, Low porosity
    Low-Poo: SM Moisture Retention Shampoo
    Rinse Out: Tresemme Naturals
    Leave In: ^^^^
    Stylers: AIF, Natural Silks Curly Gel
    *Desert Curly*
  • ariananaarianana Posts: 14Registered Users
    do. not. do. it.

i decided i was going to give myself straight across bangs (yes you read that right) back in like february... I'm still growing them out and i am now just able to barely tie them back in a (very high) pony tail
    I'm now able to kind of wear them to the side (&curly) but ugh i wish i never cut them
    ImageUploadedByCurlTalk1348020451.082409.jpg
    I want them to look like this girl's hair. Shes from youtube

That just isn't an attractive look. The bangs are so huge and distracting that you barely notice that she had beautiful curly hair.

• irociroc Posts: 7,890Registered Users
    It depends on the type of curl. Very tight curly hair wouldn't look so great with the contrast of straight bangs. Loose, more wavy type curls may look good with thick straight bangs.

I like these:

uploadfromtaptalk1348078311630.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1348078321658.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using CurlTalk App
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • IamDonnaIamDonna Posts: 546Registered Users
    I have em..............check them out below.
    Let me know what you think!
    :love1:3a Long (waist) thick med course dry thirsty
    Poo: Eulence moisture
    Co-wash: GVP CB
    Condish: GVP CB
    LI: KBB nectar
    Styler: CK CIAB
    Gel: BRHG
    DT: Curl Junkie
    Diffuse 70% dry
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2FIamDonna%2F" class="Popup

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fhotimg23.fotki.com%2Fp%2Fa%2F70_149%2F75_144%2FDSCN0395-vi573.jpg" class="Popup
    NEW PICS
    iroc wrote: »
    It depends on the type of curl. Very tight curly hair wouldn't look so great with the contrast of straight bangs. Loose, more wavy type curls may look good with thick straight bangs.

I like these:

It looks good in the first pic.

• Robin-in-FLRobin-in-FL Posts: 1,731Registered Users
    I really hate that look except with very loose very shiny curls.

Worst is the thin straight bangs with curly hair.

Love bangs with straight hair or very loose very shiny curls though, especially on heart-shaped face/big eye girl to emphasize the shape and the eyes.
    2c / C / iii (FIA)
    Med-Coarse, LowPorosity, NormalElast (LCLF)

Shoulder-Length now.

Wash: DevaCare Low Poo
    Detangle & Rinseout: Walgreens or Sally's Conditioning Balm (always)
    Leave-in: DevaCare OneC (budget choice is GFTN)
    Style: ReCoil & DevaCare Arc Angel (budget choices are HESMU or Got2BSpikedUp)

Henna!
  • IamDonnaIamDonna Posts: 546Registered Users
    :love1:3a Long (waist) thick med course dry thirsty
    Poo: Eulence moisture
    Co-wash: GVP CB
    Condish: GVP CB
    LI: KBB nectar
    Styler: CK CIAB
    Gel: BRHG
    DT: Curl Junkie
    Diffuse 70% dry
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2FIamDonna%2F" class="Popup

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fhotimg23.fotki.com%2Fp%2Fa%2F70_149%2F75_144%2FDSCN0395-vi573.jpg" class="Popup
    NEW PICS
  • gardencurlsgardencurls Posts: 573Registered Users
    Eeek! No! My best friend has 4a curls and whenever she wears them "natural" she flat irons her bangs and glues them stiff with product. She's a lovely woman, and she looks gorgeous with her natural hair. Every time I see those flat, gluey bangs I think it looks like she's wearing some kind of clip-on hairpiece that looks really fake...

She claims she straightens them because her hair is very fine and she thinks you can see her scalp too much when her bangs are curly. She thinks flattening out the hair covers her scalp, I guess. Personally, I don't notice her scalp showing through, and I think it's residual "anti-curl" mentality from ages of thinking her hair looked bad curly.
    3b/c, Coarse, Low Porosity, Desert Climate
    CG since August 2011/Occasionally Minimally Modified since 2013
    Favorites: Beautiful Nutrition Cocoa Curl Cleansing Conditioner, Beautiful Nutrition Cocoa Curl High Definition Moisture Gel, Beautiful Nutrition UltraLight Lime Jel Control Serum, Beautiful Nutrition Lemon Rinse Clarifying Treatment
  • gardencurlsgardencurls Posts: 573Registered Users
    The girl in the YouTube pictures looks like she has pretty thick hair, and her bangs still have a lot of body. Even though her bangs are straightened, they're not flattened out to be totally straight, so they blend in. I think her hair looks great!

When I read your first post, I was picturing something like the attached photo. I think that style looks awkward.
    straight-curls-fall.jpg
    3b/c, Coarse, Low Porosity, Desert Climate
    CG since August 2011/Occasionally Minimally Modified since 2013
    Favorites: Beautiful Nutrition Cocoa Curl Cleansing Conditioner, Beautiful Nutrition Cocoa Curl High Definition Moisture Gel, Beautiful Nutrition UltraLight Lime Jel Control Serum, Beautiful Nutrition Lemon Rinse Clarifying Treatment
    IamDonna wrote: »

You can do it because your hair is pretty straight until the tops of the shoulders. The OP is a 3, and it just doesn't translate well to 3s.

• kstankstan Posts: 423Registered Users
    i'm a 2c and I have strait bangs & love them. :) If i let them dry naturally they're maybe a 2a. I don't straiten them, i just blowdry them with a round brush when I wear them strait across.

I agree that they look better on wavies than curlies though. its not as drastic.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    started CG on 6/25/12. :duckie:
    • 2c with a strait underneath
    • normal elasticity on top, none on the underneath
    • Fine side of Normal
    • Thick hair
    • Poriosity is a mystery. I think its all over the place.
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 19,238Registered Users Curl Dabbler
    I've never understood what this whole look was about and I really don't like it.
    A girl who works in my building came down to my office yesterday and I was saying how I loved the humid weather we were having and she said she hated it because she had to get her flatiron out of her desk and straighten her bangs 3 times before noon. Seems like such a waste of time to me.
    It's like someone wakes up one morning and says "I think today I will let the left side of my head curl and will flatiron the right side of my head".
    But as I always say, people should do what makes them happy.
    --I'm located in Western PA.
    --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, started going grey in late 2005.
    --My hair is 3B with some 3A, texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
    --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, oils, honey, vinegar.
    --My CG and grey hair progress -- http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html
  • StarmieStarmie Posts: 6,677Registered Users Curl Dabbler
    I have a fringe and have had it and straightened it, in some way or another, for over 30 years now. I just look dreadful without it, my face is too long. I straighten it because left to it's own devices it doesn't curl properly, it just has a couple of weird kinks in it. My hair is a 3a/3b mix with the looser curls at the front and I have no root curl at all, it only curls from about 3" down (hence the lack of curl to the fringe itself). My fringe is a side one, not straight across and I think I can just about get away with it though it does look separate sometimes which bugs me no end.
    To be honest, if I didn't need a fringe I wouldn't have one and if it would curl properly I would leave it curly - keeping it straight is a pain but I've just got used to dealing with it.
    3b in South Australia.
  • MixedGoldiLocksMixedGoldiLocks Posts: 63Registered Users
    Yeah :/ i most certaintly don't have loose curls.. Idk, it was a lil somethin i thought was cute . Oh well! :): *shrugs*
  • StellarCurlsStellarCurls Posts: 159Registered Users
    I wore my hair curly with straight bangs for 6 months or so and really liked the look. I had to quit because my bangs started to look damaged, though :(
    APL 3A
    Medium porosity, medium density, medium thickness
    Current routine: Daily co-washing with Giovanni conditioner (whatever is on sale), styling with Catwalk Curls Rock Curl Amplifier, and 1-2x per week cleansing with a Chagrin Valley shampoo bar followed by an ACV rinse
  • KorkscrewKorkscrew Posts: 1,834Registered Users
    iroc wrote: »

I like these:

Yeah, for me that first pic doesn't work. It's like she has two different hair types sitting on her head and so my first thought is, "Which part is real and which is woven in?" (It's even worse with that pic posted from youtube [above]. I just want to shake that grinning girl and scream, ""Choose a texture!" haha.)
  • TrilliongramsTrilliongrams Posts: 1Registered Users
    I like the look personally as long as you blend it well. I do it because I NEED bangs and they look silly if they're not straightened.
  • wavyrachelwavyrachel Posts: 28Registered Users
    arianana wrote: »
    do. not. do. it.

i decided i was going to give myself straight across bangs (yes you read that right) back in like february... I'm still growing them out and i am now just able to barely tie them back in a (very high) pony tail
    I'm now able to kind of wear them to the side (&curly) but ugh i wish i never cut them

I did the same thing, only right in time for christmas formal and family pictures! All I can say is WHAT WAS I THINKING!!!
    rocking 2c waves with 3a bangs (on a good day)

Modified CG

Low-poo: Yes to Carrots (contains Sodium Coco Sulfate A.K.A. SLS), Live Clean Volumizing
    Co-Wash: Suave Naturals
    Rinse-out Condish: Yes to Carrots
    DT and PT: IAgirl's PT, Enjoy Hair Mask (A-cone):sad1:
    Stylers: Joico Curl Defining Cream/Gel:love4:, Joico Joiwhip, He Body Envy Gel, He Tousle Me Softly Mousse, Boticelli Babes FSG, DIY sea salt spray

I :love4: my difuser
  • kurlygurlykurlygurly Posts: 644Registered Users
    I've always HATED that look. Do one or the other but PLEASE NOT BOTH!!!!

Sent from my Droid Razr using CurlTalk App
    3B Live Curly Live Free Analysis: Texture = Medium Porosity = Normal Elasticity = Normal
    3b-ish... normal to low porosity....med. texture
    Wash: Desert Essence Coconut shampoo, Acure argon shampoo
    Deep Trestment: Nature's Nectars deep conditioner/styler
    Condition: Nature's Nectars luv-n-a-bottle, Nature's Gate pomegranate sunflower
    LEAVE-IN:Nature's Nectars luv-n-a-bottle, Natures Gate pomegranate sunflower
    STYLE: Nature's Nectars Sweet Shea butter blend, Ecostyler gel
    hemp oil, jojoba oil
    www.naturesnectars.net