Do all sulfate shampoos have silicones in them?

Kenner82Kenner82 Posts: 31Registered Users
I had my haircut today and am assuming the stylist used a product with silicone in it, so I figured tonight I'd use one of my old shampoos to strip my hair and go back to co-washing. However, when I looked at the ingredients for the first shampoo I found in the cupboard, I realized it also had dimethicone in it! So did the second, and the third, and the fourth . . . all of the sulfate containing shampoos in the house had a silicone in them also!

So now I have two questions!
1 - Do ALL sulfate shampoos have silicone in them?
2 - Will the sulfate in the shampoo also wash away the silicone in the shampoo? Or do I need to hit the store tomorrow to find a cheap shampoo for the rare occasion I need something WITH sulfates but WITHOUT silicone? :)

Comments

• IAgalIAgal Posts: 139Registered Users
    no,not all sufate shampoos have silicones in them but a lot of them do.
    i simply purchased a cheap 1 dollar bottle of suave naturals shampoo(not suave professionals)....and it does not have any silicones in it.

You have to use a shampoo without any silicones to "start" the cg method.

my first time i used the above shampoo and then applied the suave naturals conditioner after that. i use the wild cherry blossom one as my cowash....then the next time i washed my hair i only used the suave condtioner as my cowash.
    HTH!
  • Kenner82Kenner82 Posts: 31Registered Users
    IAgal wrote: »
    no,not all sufate shampoos have silicones in them but a lot of them do.
    i simply purchased a cheap 1 dollar bottle of suave naturals shampoo(not suave professionals)....and it does not have any silicones in it.

You have to use a shampoo without any silicones to "start" the cg method.

my first time i used the above shampoo and then applied the suave naturals conditioner after that. i use the wild cherry blossom one as my cowash....then the next time i washed my hair i only used the suave condtioner as my cowash.
    HTH!

So I bought a bottle of the Suave coconut shampoo to use, and noticed that it still has a few -none ingredients in it. Aren't those still silicones?
  • IAgalIAgal Posts: 139Registered Users
    if they are at the very end and start with meth- then
    those are just preservatives and are not cones.
    i've never seen a bottle of suave naturals with an actual cone on it. if you want to type out the ones you are worried about i can try to help u :)
  • Geek_ChicGeek_Chic Posts: 1,275Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    These are preservatives: Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone. Silicones end with -cone, -conol, or -xane.
    CG since 11/2011
    2c /3a F /Mii, low porosity

Go To Products /Routine:
    Clarifying: Suave Essentials Strawberry
    Low Poo: Renpure Luxurious Argan Oil
    CO: Suave Essentials Strawberry, V05 Kiwi Lime
    RO /LI: Tresemme Perfectly (un)Done, Cure Care, V05 Kiwi Lime Squeeze, Suave Essentials Strawberry, Renpure Brazilian Keratin (old formula)
    Stylers: LALSG, AIF, HETT, Suave Professionals Firm Control
    PT: IAGirl's as needed
  • artemis513artemis513 Posts: 666Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Perhaps you will find this page from the main NC site helpful--silicones in shampoos is discussed on page 2, page 1 tells you which silicones can be removed by which surfactants.

What's the Scoop on Silicones?
    4a/3c, fine strands, low porosity, medium density
    Last relaxer: Jan 2010 - BC'd: 2/27/11
    My Fotki
    My Blog
  • asianrunnerasianrunner Posts: 2,251Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    My favorite sulfate shampoo is Redken Fresh Curls. It has a little protein but doesn't affect my hair very much. I also like it because it doesn't give me that stripped hair feeling!
    Coarse texture, normal-high porosity, normal elasticity (Komaza Care), very weak waves
    cleanser: Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix

rinse out: GVP Conditioning Balm, CJ Beauticurls, CJ Smoothing

jellies/creams: CR Curl Maker, KCCC
    gels: CJ CQ, CJ Pattern Pusha, BRHG

• bookgirlbookgirl Posts: 129Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Herbal Essences Drama Clean has sulfates but no silicones.
    2c, fine, extremely dense, color-treated, high porosity.

CG since 10/12
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,746Administrators, Moderators Administrator
    Coconut does not play nice with my hair. Isn't that funny? 

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file