We’d like your help getting CurlTalk back on its feet!

By participating on CurlTalk — posting, commenting, liking — in the next few weeks, you will automatically be entered to win amazing prizes.

Our latest winner is Savagegirl!

CurlyCanadian, Bomega and EllaJ have also won wonderful prizes! Will you be next? Post, like, comment, GET ACTIVE and help us get CurlTalk ENERGIZED again!

Learn more!

I'm really old!

mebarbmebarb Posts: 27Registered Users
My birthday is tomorrow and I'm going to be 63 - I'm told by everyone that I look like I'm 50, but I don't see that in the mirror! I just wanted to say that I'm pretty sure I'm the oldest curly girl on this forum!icon11.gif

Anyone else? If I get no answers, I'll know for sure! (By the way, it's hard to have curly hair at my age - up until now I've worn it straight for 12 years!) Oh, I won't go gray (no offense to anyone who is - it can be beautiful!)
3a (boticelli) fine, high porosity
CG since May, 2011
CO wash - Devacurl LoPoo
Condish - Devacurl OC
Styling - Devacurl Styling Cream, AnGel
DT - Heaven in Hair

Comments

• curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 11,983Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Nope! I win - I'm 67 and I think I'm the oldest curly girl on this forum.

Happy Birthday!!! :flower::occasion4::occasion9::icescream:
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • claudine19claudine19 Posts: 4,486Registered Users
    I'm plenty old myself, but exact numbers will not be revealed.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dogs and nature abhor a vacuum.
    http://geaugadoggy.wordpress.com
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 19,615Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    I'm 55 but I look 55 so you are still ahead of me, mebarb. : )
    Happy birthday!
    --I'm located in Western PA.
    --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.
    --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.
    --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.
    --My CG and grey hair progress -- http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey. Yes, it's in the senior section. : / -- https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/seniors/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    claudine19 wrote: »
    I'm plenty old myself, but exact numbers will not be revealed.

Um, Missy Dawg, you *barely* belong in this forum.

Happy Birthday, Mebarb!
  • banjocurlbanjocurl Posts: 1,021Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    well, i will be 63 in november so i am up there too. yesterday i played banjo at a farmers market with a 26 yr old fiddler. today i went hiking and swimming with my friends and my dogs and got full of dirt and water as my dogs dripped all over me and my stuff at the lake. i swam for 40 min and hiked about 5 miles. last month i hiked in the white mountains for 8 days and camped out, after 2 weeks of fiddlers conventions which followed 10 days in ireland. never a dull moment!!! my hair gets grayer by the minute....
    Susan suburban NY
    3b going gray, not thick, waist length when wet, a bit below shoulders when dry
    CG since 11/11/04
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fbanjolady%2F" class="Popup
    PW: banjo
    HG: suave and honey for co-wash, deva, i use garnier fructis regular CO's or boots pink or white as leave ins and LA looks sport gel. plop w microfiber turban, then curl towel scrunch, then another turban.i sleep with the turban on. little one minute hair styling videos /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fuser%2Flazycurls" class="Popup
  • anonymous_22139anonymous_22139 Posts: 659Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Banjo, you run circles around me, and I am only 56 as of Sept 8.
  • munchkinmunchkin Posts: 2,909Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I will be 62 at the end of October. People tell me I don't look as old as I am, but I see it when I look in the mirror. I don't feel old though!
    3b/c
  • 2poodles2poodles Posts: 2,480Registered Users
    I hit the big 5-0 this year! Happy Birthday to everyone!! Let's keep the birthdays coming!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2Poodles :flower: Southeast PA
    fine, med porosity, normal elasticity
    Currently using the following 2 - 3 x/week:
    Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

• MyrnaMyrna Posts: 2,344Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Im 61. I dont feel it inside but my body is starting to have issues.
  • LotsawavesLotsawaves Posts: 8,687Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I'm 62, but feel 26. :joker:

Curlypearl, I believe you are the oldest curly here, but one of the sweetest and prettiest.

ETA: I'm 61, not 62. I forget my age at times.
    From Michael Berg:

Every person has a unique connection to the Creator that can never be extinguished, and every person has a great soul that can manifest important things in our world. To make a person feel less than they are because of something inside themselves, be it faith, race, or sexual orientation, is the greatest sin of all."
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 11,983Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    ^^^:sign5: Thanks Lotsa you sweetheart, you.

Immaturity - it keeps me young! :toothy4:
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • LotsawavesLotsawaves Posts: 8,687Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Immaturity & a young mind/spirit.
    From Michael Berg:

Every person has a unique connection to the Creator that can never be extinguished, and every person has a great soul that can manifest important things in our world. To make a person feel less than they are because of something inside themselves, be it faith, race, or sexual orientation, is the greatest sin of all."
  • reenireeni Posts: 149Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I'm right behind Curlypearl...I turned 66 in November.

But I really don't feel any older than 40, at least most of the time!
    What a WONDERFUL day!!
  • fightingfrizzfightingfrizz Posts: 65Registered Users
    Well, you're all gorgeous and fab IMO! From a baby 44 yo :reindeer:
    UK based, Curly from birth 2b-2c fairly porous with cherub tendencies and frizz halo! Faves include KCKT and Keracare LIs, Deva Curl, CCCCL, Ecosyler gel and Be Curly Curl Enhancer. I don’t mind the odd cone - shhh smile.gif CG since August 2012
  • caramix3acaramix3a Posts: 460Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    "By the way, it's hard to have curly hair at my age" - mebarb

I'm up there behind curlypearl, at 65. And no, it's NOT harder to have curly hair at this time. Don't let anyone with their "granny glasses" on tell you otherwise. Once one finds a good cutter, plus one's combo of products, it's a lot easier. Don't let AGE dictate what you do. Let your general look and physical abilities do instead. But even the physical abilities can be addressed, if it's a matter of being out of shape or not.
  • MooshvilleMooshville Posts: 104Registered Users
    reeni wrote: »
    I'm right behind Curlypearl...I turned 66 in November.

But I really don't feel any older than 40, at least most of the time!
    That's great! Personally I'd rather look older than what I am and be younger/healthy inside rather than the reverse. My poor aunt is 72 but looks like she's in her 50s. She's got bad arthritis and therefore her energy is low. Her husband who is 84 keeps up with her.. :(
  • BlackAngelPlayahBlackAngelPlayah Posts: 1,419Registered Users
    I'm 35 and with all my back/joint damage you all probably feel younger than me!! :)
    :afro:FroZen:afro:
  • SayoonSayoon Posts: 432Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Happy birthday :) and wow u all look young..! What do u do..really ladies hats off.
  • maria_imaria_i Posts: 1,761Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I don t know who is older than whom.
    But posters in this thread are the BEST members of this board. :)

Happy birthday Barb!
    3a/b, CG mostly.
    Mexico City.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Firefox7275Firefox7275 Posts: 3,750Registered Users
    These guys are in their fifties and sixties, they drove from the UK to China and back, then another couple of groups drove all the way around south, central and north America. My parents were out there for five or fix years in total. The Silk Route Motorcaravan Network.

One of the group had a little accident
    Globetrotters crash Unimog in the Amazon | Hooniverse
    I don't see how 'old' people could do all that, ergo they cannot possibly be old.
    2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
    Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
    Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
    Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
    Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
    Experimenting with: benign neglect
  • So_JaneSo_Jane Posts: 155Registered Users
    mebarb wrote: »
    My birthday is tomorrow and I'm going to be 63 - I'm told by everyone that I look like I'm 50, but I don't see that in the mirror! I just wanted to say that I'm pretty sure I'm the oldest curly girl on this forum!icon11.gif

Anyone else? If I get no answers, I'll know for sure! (By the way, it's hard to have curly hair at my age - up until now I've worn it straight for 12 years!) Oh, I won't go gray (no offense to anyone who is - it can be beautiful!)

Happy Birthday!:occasion9:
    'Poo: Aubrey Organics or Suave Clarifying
    or Liquid African Black Soap (only 4-ingredients ; awesome!)
    Co-Wash: Aubrey Organics or Suave Condish
    Condish: Aubrey Organics or Onion Mask or Yogurt
    DT: Honey + Olive Oil + AO Condish or Yogurt mix
    ---
    Best Gel Combo, Ever!: Elasta Qp Feels Like Silk Liquid Gel +/under Eco Styler [Krystal, Brown] Gel (or under Wetline Extreme Styling Gel)- awesome!!
  • CrazyCatLadyCrazyCatLady Posts: 63Registered Users
    I'm a total wimper-snapper at 31 over here, but so happy to have all age ranges represented on here :)
    CURLS
    2B/C

HOLY GRAILS
    LO-POO Shea Moisture: Restorative Shampoo (2x/mnth)
    CW V05
    RO GVP Conditioning Balm
    LI Suave Naturals: Tropical Coconut
    PROD Curly Hair Solutions Curl Keeper and LA Looks: Anti-Frizz
    T's Shea Moisture: Deep Treatment Masque or Shea Moisture: Anti-Breakage Hair Masque, Coconut Oil (1x/wk)
  • LoveInBetweenLoveInBetween Posts: 392Registered Users
    maria_i wrote: »
    I don t know who is older than whom.
    But posters in this thread are the BEST members of this board. :)

Happy birthday Barb!

I second this.

All of you are KIND, intelligent, beautiful women, age is just a number!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using CurlTalk App
    Curl Routine
    Co: As I am Coconut CoWash,VO5 Claifying Conditioner
    DC: Macadamia Repair Masque
    LI: KCKT, Suave Naturals Coconut
    Style Creme: Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie
    Gel: KCCC, Eco Styler Argan Oil
    Sealer: EVCO, EVOO

3b/3c, High Desity, High Porosity, Medium Texture, BSL
    ""Live by the sun, love by the moon"

• caramix3acaramix3a Posts: 460Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    "I don't see how 'old' people could do all that, ergo they cannot possibly be old." - Firefox7275

Our culture has a real habit of thinking that older people can't do anything. Meanwhile, there are any number of vital older people who are in fact out there doing all kinds of things. But all too many people, especially women, seem to internalize the idea that it's all over as far as getting into shape, or even having real fun for matter, after 50. Such beliefs become self-fulfilling prophecy, thus they do less and less and cave to cultural stereotypes. It's up to US to bust those stereotypes in the ways we see fit:)
    Will be heading to Ecstatic Dance tonight - just 10 blocks away from me!:)
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 19,615Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    People are 'old' in their 50's and 60's?! I call BS on that, as would most people that age. I've done more in my 50's that in my youth - started working out, joined the gym, finished a full marathon (walking and jogging but still), do more hiking and walking, etc. And sex. Much much much better now.
    Just watched a video of a man over 100 years old who did a full marathon. He beat my time from when I did mine at 52.
    Ditto caramix - we need to break the stereotypes of age. Life isn't all about the young. We don't turn invisible as we age. We don't lose interest in fun and physical things. And we need to stop acting like grey hair, wrinkles, and saggy bits are the end of the world.
    --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.
    --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.
    --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.
    --My CG and grey hair progress -- http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey. Yes, it's in the senior section. : / -- https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/seniors/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • bobbybobby Posts: 669Registered Users Curl Novice
    People are 'old' in their 50's and 60's?! I call BS on that, as would most people that age. I've done more in my 50's that in my youth - started working out, joined the gym, finished a full marathon (walking and jogging but still), do more hiking and walking, etc. And sex. Much much much better now.
    Just watched a video of a man over 100 years old who did a full marathon. He beat my time from when I did mine at 52.
    Ditto caramix - we need to break the stereotypes of age. Life isn't all about the young. We don't turn invisible as we age. We don't lose interest in fun and physical things. And we need to stop acting like grey hair, wrinkles, and saggy bits are the end of the world.

Exactly, jeepcurls "old" is a subjective term that people just throw around. I've seen a few more strands of grey lately and I turn 41 in August but I don't consider it the end of the world. BTW, I saw your photo page, you have beautiful hair.:)
    2B always with potential of white man's fro

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/members/bobby-albums-my-album.html

"Curls aren't just for girls"
    Thanks bobby!
    I tend to sound ornery about this subject sometimes, but I get irked when I constantly hear about how horrible it is to be 'old', how ugly and gross old people are and that we should either have surgery or hide ourselves away. Grrr.
  • Firefox7275Firefox7275 Posts: 3,750Registered Users
    caramix3a wrote: »
    "I don't see how 'old' people could do all that, ergo they cannot possibly be old." - Firefox7275

Our culture has a real habit of thinking that older people can't do anything. Meanwhile, there are any number of vital older people who are in fact out there doing all kinds of things. But all too many people, especially women, seem to internalize the idea that it's all over as far as getting into shape, or even having real fun for matter, after 50. Such beliefs become self-fulfilling prophecy, thus they do less and less and cave to cultural stereotypes. It's up to US to bust those stereotypes in the ways we see fit:)
    Will be heading to Ecstatic Dance tonight - just 10 blocks away from me!:)

I read some research studies some years ago for my last degree level qualification, one in particular I passed onto my parents and my father actually passed it on to others. Can't recall the detail anymore but the gist was that people in a care home with average age of something like 80 were given ability-appropriate strength training exercises to do. After a number of weeks all had become measurably 'fitter' and some were able to discard their walking aids.

Use it or lose it in black and white: we can't all run marathons at 100 but almost all of us can avoid some of the supposedly 'age related' decline in fitness and ability. Another study I read of suggested that regular Tai Chi halved the risk of falls in the over 50s or over 60s (forget which) - falls of course being linked to hip fractures. Some who fracture their hip never walk independently again so if you can avoid falling in the first place ....

It's ridiculous to describe 50 as old, that doesn't divide the expected lifespan up in any sort of meaningful or logical way. Some women still have young children at that age, occasionally someone falls pregnant then, men can continue to have children indefinitely so the human body doesn't seem to think 50 is 'old'. Arguably the body thinks our youth, defined as child bearing years, are done with at ('normal' not premature) menopause so you could say women enter middle age at that point.

Some decades ago 40 was considered the start of middle age, firstly the envelope has clearly been pushed there and secondly middle age doesn't last a mere ten years, we don't make 'old' people work full time for another ten or fifteen years up to 60 or 65. That is the age we can draw the state pension (AKA 'old age' pension) in the UK but even that is set to rise to 70 in recognition of our improving health wellbeing and longevity.
    2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
    Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
    Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
    Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
    Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
    Experimenting with: benign neglect
    happy 63rd birthday! i am now 63 1/2 so i am older. i think cara and curly pearl are in that range or higher.
    i climbed mt washington in NH at 57 for the first time with my 2 dogs. still hiking and swimming daily...
    curly gray mix of colors...mid back length....no surgery...dont plan on it...playing music and camping...nothing too daredevil tho..:) carry on kids!!

[/QUOTE]=So_Jane;2167279]
    mebarb wrote: »

Happy Birthday!:occasion9:[/QUOTE]
    Susan suburban NY
    CG since 11/11/04
    HG: suave and honey for co-wash, deva, i use garnier fructis regular CO's or boots pink or white as leave ins and LA looks sport gel. plop w microfiber turban, then curl towel scrunch, then another turban.i sleep with the turban on. little one minute hair styling videos /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fuser%2Flazycurls" class="Popup
    Thanks bobby!
    I tend to sound ornery about this subject sometimes, but I get irked when I constantly hear about how horrible it is to be 'old', how ugly and gross old people are and that we should either have surgery or hide ourselves away. Grrr.

love your gray curls--saw your fotki your hair is fabulous!!
    Susan suburban NY
    CG since 11/11/04

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file