best brand of hair color

katethegreatkatethegreat Registered Users Posts: 801
Can anyone recommend the best brand of hair color (just from the drugstore or wherever) that they've used?...was it easy to use, did it look natural, did it dry out your hair, etc. Thanks.
"Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that frightens us."
-Marianne Williamson

Comments

• godgivenpermgodgivenperm Registered Users Posts: 678
    I used to use Herbatint. I liked the colors but hated the smell that lasted for a week in my hair.

Next up - Bigen. No smell, worked well, but color choices are very limited. Although my natural color is very dark it's not quite as dark as the Bigen colors.

Last week I tried Garnier. No nasty smell, the color is great, and my hair was left very soft with no curl damage.

So that's my .02 cents for ya. :wink:
    3B/3C
    No more PJ tendencies. Tigi Curls Rock Curl Amplifier is the best thing to make my curls rock all day! Next best are KCCC and Re:Coil +HE TT Gel.
  • katethegreatkatethegreat Registered Users Posts: 801
    Thanks! So you're saying Garnier, I gather? I get the feeling my hair color might be difficult to match...
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that frightens us."
    -Marianne Williamson
  • BrioBrio Registered Users Posts: 1,432
    what are you hoping to accomplish with color? Darken? Lighten? Change hues? You're young, right? No gray coverage issues?

I've tried several drugstore brands. They all work similarly and I've had similar success with them. The Garnier Nutrisse does work well.

A lot of folks here like Robert Craig. It's a powder you mix with water. I've only seen it sold online. Personally, I didn't care for it. I thought it was gentle, but I felt the color turned out flat and monotone on me.

Why don't you try something semi-permanent? the kind that washes out (well sorta) in 28 shampoos. Well, they say it washes out, but it on porous hair, it probably won't ever all wash out.

Or you could try putting in a few hi-lights or low lights.

the safest would be not to start this coloring at all. It can be a vicious cycle once you get started.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Frizz Happens!
    my Fotki hair journey/experiment diary PW is brio (and I really need to update it!)

3A hair; coloring with henna/indigo since July 2009; normally follow the CG method. Still searching for my HG products!
  • godgivenpermgodgivenperm Registered Users Posts: 678
    Thanks! So you're saying Garnier, I gather?

Well, I guess I'm saying that this month. :lol:

Brio brings up some very good points. When I was younger I wanted my hair much lighter and with red tones. I used Feria for years for that purpose but eventually my hair really dried out.

Now I just want to get closer to my natural color, cover some greys, and perhaps add a hit of red.

I think you'll get more feedback and opinions as the week goes on.
    3B/3C
    No more PJ tendencies. Tigi Curls Rock Curl Amplifier is the best thing to make my curls rock all day! Next best are KCCC and Re:Coil +HE TT Gel.
    Brio wrote:
    what are you hoping to accomplish with color? Darken? Lighten? Change hues? You're young, right? No gray coverage issues?

I've tried several drugstore brands. They all work similarly and I've had similar success with them. The Garnier Nutrisse does work well.

A lot of folks here like Robert Craig. It's a powder you mix with water. I've only seen it sold online. Personally, I didn't care for it. I thought it was gentle, but I felt the color turned out flat and monotone on me.

Why don't you try something semi-permanent? the kind that washes out (well sorta) in 28 shampoos. Well, they say it washes out, but it on porous hair, it probably won't ever all wash out.

Or you could try putting in a few hi-lights or low lights.

the safest would be not to start this coloring at all. It can be a vicious cycle once you get started.

Ok. Yes I'm young, so hopefully no gray issues! Basically, my hair is light brown, but it turns blonde in the summer because I am constantly outside. Since my hair is pretty long right now, the ends are very blonde from several summers, but the roots are my normal light brown. Also, the underside of my hair is all brown. I don't like this two-toned look; it's strange and doesn't look good. Basically I want all of my hair to be the same light brown color it is at the roots. My theory is that if I can use a permanent dye that is close to this color, I won't have to touch up my roots or anything. I actually got semipermanent color at a salon about a month ago and it looked great, but it's ALREADY washing out!! :twisted: So once it is completely washed out, I'd like to color it again the way I just described and hopefully leave it at that. I hope this makes sense. The Garnier stuff sounds good. If I do color my hair, I'm not planning on making it a habit; I just want the stupid blonde gone!
    -Marianne Williamson
    I'm wondering if you could paint on a few low lights on the blondest areas. Maybe pull some pieces through a frosting cap and use a hair color that matches close to your natural color. That way you wouldn't have to color all of your hair, just some select pieces from the top area that are the blondest. That way, I don't think you'd have to worry about your roots being a different color when it starts to grow out.

I'm gonna throw in a disclaimer, though. I'm definitely not a beautician. I can't even decide what color to color my hair!

Where are our beauticians? Would this work?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Frizz Happens!
    my Fotki hair journey/experiment diary PW is brio (and I really need to update it!)

3A hair; coloring with henna/indigo since July 2009; normally follow the CG method. Still searching for my HG products!
    hmmm....that's an interesting idea, although I was hoping to not have to go to a salon again:roll: , they don't know what to do with my hair....I'm contemplating getting it cut anyway, and that would get rid of most of the really blonde parts.....I think I'll wait another month or so and see what I want to do. Thanks for the input!
    -Marianne Williamson
    hmmm....that's an interesting idea, although I was hoping to not have to go to a salon again:roll: , they don't know what to do with my hair....I'm contemplating getting it cut anyway, and that would get rid of most of the really blonde parts.....I think I'll wait another month or so and see what I want to do. Thanks for the input!

I think they sell those caps with the holes at Sally's.

The Robert Craig website has some pretty good information on using one of those caps.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Frizz Happens!

• CurliLocksCurliLocks Registered Users Posts: 10,573 Curl Connoisseur
    You could try one of RC's Color shades and either do lowlights with a cap (yes the sight has great info) - or - do the whole head. Just choose a color that is about 2-3 shades lighter than the natural color (no matter what brand) because porous hair will grab the color. You should not have roots with RC Color. It is very gentle and won't dry out your hair.

My hair also gets lighter in the summer, and the Color really helps even it out.

Unlike Brio, I find that I have lots of dimension in my color using the RC. I have many natural looking variations of auburn and brown tones. :) But I'm careful to use a lighter color so the natural tones come thru too.

Brio - so that's why you stopped using it. Too bad it didn't work well for you. :(
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.
  • HalfWavyHalfCurlyHalfWavyHalfCurly Registered Users Posts: 907
    I'd say don't complicate your life and just use a permanent color. Since hopefully it'll be a "one-time deal", you will not suffer any damage from using it, besides the blond part of your hair will be more porous so it'll absorb the color real fast so maybe after just 5-10 mins. you'll have the results you want. You can always wipe off a strand after that much time and inspect it under a strong light to see if it's even with the rest of the hair. Be careful not too leave on longer than necessary as you could get a shade darker than you might want. Of course, it would be good to give yourself a protein DT a couple of days before, this would equalize the porosity and help the color last longer. Good and inexpensive ones to try are Hi-Pro-Pac or "ION Reconstructor" available in packets at Sally's.
    2A/3A, medium length, layered, colored dark/medium ash blonde - "CGer" since April '02.

"Converting the 'curlskeptics' one curly head at a time..." HWHC ;-)
    CurliLocks wrote:
    Just choose a color that is about 2-3 shades lighter than the natural color (no matter what brand) because porous hair will grab the color. You should not have roots with RC Color.

Could you clarify this? Do you mean 2 or 3 shades lighter than the color at the roots, or the color that I want my hair to be? I'm a little confused. The RC sounds good though. Thanks!
    -Marianne Williamson
  • CurliLocksCurliLocks Registered Users Posts: 10,573 Curl Connoisseur
    CurliLocks wrote:
    Just choose a color that is about 2-3 shades lighter than the natural color (no matter what brand) because porous hair will grab the color. You should not have roots with RC Color.

Could you clarify this? Do you mean 2 or 3 shades lighter than the color at the roots, or the color that I want my hair to be? I'm a little confused. The RC sounds good though. Thanks!
    Sorry, I thought you wanted them the same, for the rest to match the roots. You should choose 2-3 lighter than what you want the color to be. If you want it lighter than the roots, choose lighter. If you want a closer match, choose maybe only 2 shades lighter. Example: I have medium/dark brown hair, and I use #7 golden chestnut to blend my grays into my hair. You aren't covering gray, but blending the blonde is similar. HTH

If you have pics, I might be able to help you choose. Or, which RC swatch best matches the color you want, and which represents the color(s) your hair actually is. :)
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file