CurlTalk

Adding xanthan gum to flax seed gel

Hello all,

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I started using FSG in June. The first time I tried it, it was a disaster. I did some more research, played around with my recipes, and I think I "got it" now. The only thing I can't seem to get right is adding xanthan gum (if you don't know, it's used to thicken it and cut some of the snotty texture.)

Obviously, I can't add it while it's boiling because then it can't be strained. If I mix it in with a blender it makes a mousse-like texture my hair doesn't love. If I whip it together with a hand mixture it takes a loooong time and still leaves a few maggot-shaped (gasp!!) blobs of gel that didn't get incorporated all the way. Does anyone have a better way?

PS - if you're wondering what I changed to make FSG my daily gel, two things made all the difference in the world. One of course being xanthan gum, and the other being marshmallow root. I went to Whole Foods and got capsules. I empty 1 capsule into the gel as it boils. It gives it more slip and I think it's making my hair grow like a weed.

Comments

• curlyhairmichukcurlyhairmichuk Posts: 860Registered Users
    Hello all,

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I started using FSG in June. The first time I tried it, it was a disaster. I did some more research, played around with my recipes, and I think I "got it" now. The only thing I can't seem to get right is adding xanthan gum (if you don't know, it's used to thicken it and cut some of the snotty texture.)

Obviously, I can't add it while it's boiling because then it can't be strained. If I mix it in with a blender it makes a mousse-like texture my hair doesn't love. If I whip it together with a hand mixture it takes a loooong time and still leaves a few maggot-shaped (gasp!!) blobs of gel that didn't get incorporated all the way. Does anyone have a better way?

PS - if you're wondering what I changed to make FSG my daily gel, two things made all the difference in the world. One of course being xanthan gum, and the other being marshmallow root. I went to Whole Foods and got capsules. I empty 1 capsule into the gel as it boils. It gives it more slip and I think it's making my hair grow like a weed.

Have you tried mixing with a hand mixer? I find that better as you can control the speed and move the mixing bit around to make sure you're getting a good mix . (I mix it in once it has cooled at bit after straining)l.
    UK curly

fine to medium strands, porous, medium density
    CG May 2009 - low poo occasionally
    Co-wash: Tresemme Naturals
    Styling -Naked Curl Defining Cream, BRHG, Mop Top, FSG
    Product for a good hair day: FSG or Mop Top
    Hair loves protein!
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fcurlyhairmichuk%2F" class="Popup
    new pics added Jan 2012

Enjoying the freedom of going curly!:wave:
    Duchess of Alba, Keeper of the Tartan Curls in The Order of the Curly Crusaders