CurlTalk

Those Jennifer Hudson commercials are getting to me...

LAwomanLAwoman Posts: 2,949Registered Users Curl Neophyte
... I'm thinking about signing up for Weight Watchers! :eek:

We got our vaca pix back from Colorado and man, my face is looking chunk-o. Stupid face---my weight gains and losses always seem to show up their first.

I did WW back in 2000 and lost 15 pounds pretty easily. I'm sure...now being 12 years older...it won't be as easy this time around.

I have been using Myfitnesspal.com to log calories sporadically, but I think it's the accountability of the weekly weigh-ins at WW that really helped me.

Anybody currently doing (or have tried) the newest program? Success stories to share?

Comments

• Who Me?Who Me? Posts: 3,181Registered Users
    LAwoman wrote: »

We got our vaca pix back from Colorado and man, my face is looking chunk-o. Stupid face---my weight gains and losses always seem to show up their first.

I did WW back in 2000 and lost 15 pounds pretty easily. I'm sure...now being 12 years older...it won't be as easy this time around.

I have been using Myfitnesspal.com to log calories sporadically, but I think it's the accountability of the weekly weigh-ins at WW that really helped me.

Anybody currently doing (or have tried) the newest program? Success stories to share?

Wow, I could have written this post. I'm interested in the replies!

Honestly, the only reason I'm considering it is the accountability of weekly weigh-ins. I know all the info. I know how to do it. I just have to DO it, you know?
    "I don't know! I don't know why I did it, I don't know why I enjoyed it, and I don't know why I'll do it again!" -BART SIMPSON
  • LAwomanLAwoman Posts: 2,949Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Who Me? wrote: »

Wow, I could have written this post. I'm interested in the replies!

Honestly, the only reason I'm considering it is the accountability of weekly weigh-ins. I know all the info. I know how to do it. I just have to DO it, you know?

OH I know all too well! Apparently I am NOT trustworthy enough on my own to not cheat. I need some lady with a clipboard behind a desk to "scold" me...LOL.
  • juanabjuanab Posts: 4,037Registered Users
    I do WW online. I have lost 31 lbs so far. I have been on about a year. I can't really work do to healthy issues, but still have been able to lose, just not as quickly as someone who can exercise. I recommend it.

texture - medium/fine, porosity - low/normal, elasticity - normal
    co-wash - NaturelleGrow Coconut Water or Marshmallow Root, Slippery Elm Bark & Blue Malva Cleansing Conditioners
    LI - KCKT mixed w/ SM C & H Curl & Style Milk
    DC - NG Mango & Coconut H2O or Chamomile/Brdck Root
    Gel - SM souffle (winter), KCCC (summer) or CR Naturals Aloe Whipped Butter Gel (year round)
    Sealers - Virgin Coconut Oil, Avocado butter, Aloe butter
    Ayurvedic treatments - Jamila Henna, Sukesh, Aloe Vera Powder, Hibiscus Powder

event.png
  • Corrina777Corrina777 Posts: 3,193Registered Users
    I also do WW online and when I'm really following the program it definitely works. My biggest issue is the opposite of JuanaB's. I do martial arts and weight training and it can be challenging to balance what I eat with the activity points I earn (to give an idea, I get 30 points a day right now. It's not unheard of for me to earn over 30 additional points from activity in a single day). Because of my intense training schedule I have to be a bit more careful about nutritional values rather than just points. I realize the Points Plus system does take this into account, which makes it great for most people. And it does work for me, I just have to make sure to use my points on things like lots of protein at each meal.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a/f/iii
    Modified CG since 11/5/11
    CLEANSE: CJ Daily Fix, DevaCare No-Poo, CHS Treatment Shampoo
    RO: SS Caitlin's Conditioner, CJ Beauticurls Strengthening
    LI: SS Repairing Protein Treatment, CHS Silk Leave-In
    STYLE: Re:Coil, Curl Keeper, Deva Ultra Defining Gel, Curls Rock Amplifier,Sweet Curls Elixirs Okra Gel and Hard Hold Gel, SS Curl Enhancing Jelly and Firm Hold Gel
  • PerriPPerriP Posts: 6,613Registered Users
    WW has always worked for me, whenever I've needed to drop (usually it sneaks up on me and I end up needing to drop about 20-25lbs), I follow the program (sometimes I'd join and go to meetings, sometimes on my own)

That being said, I've had a horrible time losing on Points Plus. I did lose, just slowly. I factor in that I'm on a bunch of medications now and I'm *gasp* over 40, so I assume those play a role (and also the "I'm really annoyed I didn't lose that much this week so I'll treat myself to something yummy" gut response I tend to have...)

I always recommend the program, though. This time around I did online only, was a member for 15 months. I tracked diligently for probably half that time, and lost about 7 of the 15lbs I wanted to lose. (then stopped tracking and gained them back....)

What I did recently was download Loseit! (an app for my phone that syncs online, too) - it basically is a calorie tracker, has all sorts of food databases, probably as complete, if not more complete than the WW online tools), I finally cancelled my WW subscription and am tracking with the LoseIt! app. We'll see how that goes...
    Modified CG since Dec 2011
    Thank you for "weighing in" (heh) ladies! I'm signing up tonight when I get home from work. :)
    That being said, I've had a horrible time losing on Points Plus. I did lose, just slowly. I factor in that I'm on a bunch of medications now and I'm *gasp* over 40, so I assume those play a role (and also the "I'm really annoyed I didn't lose that much this week so I'll treat myself to something yummy" gut response I tend to have...)

Now that is interesting. I know that fruit is now FREE, or zero points... I wonder if that has anything to do with losing slower?
  • cailincailin Posts: 898Registered Users Curl Dabbler
    I've lost 60lbs so far. In about 18months, I have PCOS and Hashimoto Thyroiditis. I'm still going strong. I tried the online only at first but I needed more accountability. So I've been going to meetings faithfully since April 2011. It's the best thing I've ever done for myself. I also use the online tools for tracking and recipes...I can't say enough good things about it.
  • PartyHairPartyHair Posts: 7,713Registered Users
    I signed up for WW Online two weeks ago tomorrow. I lost 1.5 pounds the first week without exercising AT ALL (I hate to exercise - I have yet to meet an exercise I like). I expect I've lost about a pound this week - I'll find out tomorrow when I weigh myself.

Like others have said, I need the accountability of logging my food into the app. I also REALLY need a reality check on portion sizes. WW does both. It honestly was shocking to see how many points were in what I considered normal-sized portions. I never thought I was one of THOSE people who ate giant portions, but guess what. I was!

The biggest change for me is eating fewer carbs and sugar - they take A LOT of points! After about three days of eating fewer carbs, I felt better physically. My husband and coworker said the same thing.

My office-mate and my husband joined at the same time, so we're all in it together. We make it into a game, researching foods we like to see how many points they are, wheeling and dealing to get the most nutritious foods on the fewest points, etc. And my husband is the cook in our family, so it really helps to have him on board.

I say go for it. :) It's all about knowing how to make healthy choices and right-sizing your portions. (You can even have a cookie now and then. You didn't think I'd give up baking, did you? :) )
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Rock on with your bad self.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Be excellent to each other. ~ Abraham Lincoln

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
  • PerriPPerriP Posts: 6,613Registered Users
    Thank you for "weighing in" (heh) ladies! I'm signing up tonight when I get home from work. :)

Now that is interesting. I know that fruit is now FREE, or zero points... I wonder if that has anything to do with losing slower?

I actually did better after they made fruit free - I noticed I did much better weeks when I included fruit. When the fruit "cost" me I was less inclined to eat it! :)
    Modified CG since Dec 2011
  • juanabjuanab Posts: 4,037Registered Users
    Same here regarding the fruit.

texture - medium/fine, porosity - low/normal, elasticity - normal
    co-wash - NaturelleGrow Coconut Water or Marshmallow Root, Slippery Elm Bark & Blue Malva Cleansing Conditioners
    LI - KCKT mixed w/ SM C & H Curl & Style Milk
    DC - NG Mango & Coconut H2O or Chamomile/Brdck Root
    Gel - SM souffle (winter), KCCC (summer) or CR Naturals Aloe Whipped Butter Gel (year round)
    Sealers - Virgin Coconut Oil, Avocado butter, Aloe butter
    Ayurvedic treatments - Jamila Henna, Sukesh, Aloe Vera Powder, Hibiscus Powder

event.png
    Good to know about the fruit!

I love hearing everybody's success stories. So inspiring! I hope to have my own to report in the not-TOO-distant future. :cheese:
  • roseannadanaroseannadana Posts: 5,632Registered Users
    I'm a Lifetime WW member, weighing in once a month to get free e-tools. I've lost 45 pounds since Jan 28 when I rejoined. It works! My average loss was about 1.5 pounds per week.

I was born to be a pessimist. My blood type is B Negative.
  • RRRR Posts: 147Registered Users
    62 lbs. lost in a little over a year. WW has saved my life. If you aren't willing to track and put the work in though, then save your money.

I had someone tell me how great I look, etc. etc. and said they had been a member for a year and only lost 5 lbs. Then she asked if I follow the plan. Uh, yes. And she admitted she didn't track and ate whatever she wanted on the weekends, and just tried to eat better during the week. I just smiled and said, well, I follow the plan.

I have a picture of Jennifer Hudson as my inspiration. I have been plateaued since April. =( But I keep tracking and trying. Things will come back around and kick in eventually.
    Friday is my weigh-in day, and I've lost two more pounds!
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    RR wrote: »
    62 lbs. lost in a little over a year. WW has saved my life. If you aren't willing to track and put the work in though, then save your money.

I had someone tell me how great I look, etc. etc. and said they had been a member for a year and only lost 5 lbs. Then she asked if I follow the plan. Uh, yes. And she admitted she didn't track and ate whatever she wanted on the weekends, and just tried to eat better during the week. I just smiled and said, well, I follow the plan.

I have a picture of Jennifer Hudson as my inspiration. I have been plateaued since April. =( But I keep tracking and trying. Things will come back around and kick in eventually.

Get the plan, work the plan. Absolutely. WW WORKS...if you follow the plan!

I personally love the tracker and am diligent about it. I track every bite that goes in my mouth, even fruit, which is zero points. It is so empowering for me!
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
  • goldencurlygoldencurly Posts: 2,385Registered Users
    I know nothing about WW. Is it worth the cost if you need to lose 20 pounds? I see all those commercials about losing 60+ pounds so I don't know. What I do know is I have ABSOLUTELY NO WILL POWER. None. Being held accountable by some objective 3rd party might make me shape up and stick to a plan.
  • RRRR Posts: 147Registered Users
    PartyHair wrote: »

Get the plan, work the plan. Absolutely. WW WORKS...if you follow the plan!

I personally love the tracker and am diligent about it. I track every bite that goes in my mouth, even fruit, which is zero points. It is so empowering for me!

Exactly! You have to be willing to follow it for it work. =)

I track the fruit too. Anything that goes in my mouth goes in that tracker. It is the only way I can stay on track and keep myself accountable.

Keep it up PH and other WW members!
    I know nothing about WW. Is it worth the cost if you need to lose 20 pounds? I see all those commercials about losing 60+ pounds so I don't know. What I do know is I have ABSOLUTELY NO WILL POWER. None. Being held accountable by some objective 3rd party might make me shape up and stick to a plan.

I have willpower and stick-to-it-iveness in every aspect of my life but food! I think WW is totally worth it. They had a special going when I joined - can't remember the details but it saved me about $50.
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
  • roseannadanaroseannadana Posts: 5,632Registered Users
    It improves your health, blood pressure, cholesterol, diabetes, etc. 20 pounds can make a difference. I say worth it!

I was born to be a pessimist. My blood type is B Negative.
  • juicyfruitjuicyfruit Posts: 751Registered Users
    How's the plan going?
  • CGNYCCGNYC Posts: 4,937Registered Users
    I signed up for WW Online two weeks ago tomorrow. I lost 1.5 pounds the first week without exercising AT ALL (I hate to exercise - I have yet to meet an exercise I like). I expect I've lost about a pound this week - I'll find out tomorrow when I weigh myself.

Hey lady, what happened to Jazzercise!
    CGNYC wrote: »

Hey lady, what happened to Jazzercise!

They moved farther away than I want to drive for a 5:30 a.m. class. I ocassionally do power yoga with that CD but yeah. I'm not consistent with it.

Meanwhile, despite getting exercise exclusively from walking from parking garage to office every week day, I've lost five pounds!
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    I signed up this week. So, I've only been counting my points for like 2.5 days so far, but so far so good!
    "I don't know! I don't know why I did it, I don't know why I enjoyed it, and I don't know why I'll do it again!" -BART SIMPSON
  • luvmylocsluvmylocs Posts: 7,578Registered Users
    so interesting. back in feb i was considering ww through my company but you girls convinced me to try myfitnesspal again (i first joined years ago but now it's much better and with my iphone recording is much easier.) i got the little notification that i've recorded 200 days in a row on mfp the other day so i'm diligent with it. i also work out, a lot. the problem is i'm not losing more weight. i've been at the same weight for months. i'm a little confused about how much i should be eating with my intense exercise. most days i come in under my calories for the day, maybe once a week i don't. lawoman you gave some links about cycling calories which i read and tried to incorporate. i also think i need to up my water intake but it seems like i'm going to the restroom a lot now with my current intake.

i saw the jhud oprah interview and thought how great she looked. i'm interested in ww too but i'm not sure if it'll do much more than what i'm doing now on myfitnesspal. i stopped weighing in when i wasn't losing but i just decided last night to weigh in again fri and mon and just start tweaking until i get the results i want which is another 13-15 lbs gone.

great thread!
    a dreamy pisces :fish:
    please recycle, it matters...
    i change lives...through fitness
    i'm more relaxed being natural
    I'm not overly contemplative, but I have been considering why WW is working for me. Part of it is it makes me feel so much more in control, and the second thing is it allows me to start fresh every single day. If I happen to go past my allotted daily points, I have a weekly budget to draw from, AND I know that tomorrow, I get my points back and I get to start fresh.

I also like getting stars on my weight tracker. :) Yay! Gold stars!
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
  • goldencurlygoldencurly Posts: 2,385Registered Users
    I decided I am way too strapped for cash at the moment for WW, but I am trying to eat healthier and cut out the sodas. I've only had 2 this week where normally I would have at least 2 a day. I hate diet soda, all of them, so I drink unsweetened tea of any kind in its place. Plus I have refused to buy chips, hot fries and other such things for which I have no self control.

My phone is a dinosaur so I will try to look at the on-line tracker thingie but I don't know if I'd use it accurately. I do lie to myself about food!!! However, the scale does not lie. I have lost 2.6 pounds this week. I didn't think I had lost anything.

:blob2::blob2::blob2::blob2::blob2:
    So, I was being really good and "saved up" my weekly points so I could have some beer and not-so-healthy bar food while watching football on Sunday. But, it appears that the new week starts on Sunday?! I don't know why I didn't think of that. I'm so annoyed! I basically planned out my whole weekend--Friday, Sat., and Sunday to be primarily healthy but also to be able to fit in a splurge.

Now, NEXT Saturday when I'm having a major party I was going to "save up" all my weekly points to use, but it turns out I already used a bunch of them this past Sunday! I don't like this, the week should start on Monday! Any way you can change that?
  • NalliaNallia Posts: 2,979Registered Users
    luvmylocs wrote: »
    so interesting. back in feb i was considering ww through my company but you girls convinced me to try myfitnesspal again (i first joined years ago but now it's much better and with my iphone recording is much easier.) i got the little notification that i've recorded 200 days in a row on mfp the other day so i'm diligent with it. i also work out, a lot. the problem is i'm not losing more weight. i've been at the same weight for months. i'm a little confused about how much i should be eating with my intense exercise. most days i come in under my calories for the day, maybe once a week i don't. lawoman you gave some links about cycling calories which i read and tried to incorporate. i also think i need to up my water intake but it seems like i'm going to the restroom a lot now with my current intake.

i saw the jhud oprah interview and thought how great she looked. i'm interested in ww too but i'm not sure if it'll do much more than what i'm doing now on myfitnesspal. i stopped weighing in when i wasn't losing but i just decided last night to weigh in again fri and mon and just start tweaking until i get the results i want which is another 13-15 lbs gone.

great thread!

It may sound counterproductive, but it's possible that you aren't eating enough every day. You shouldn't be coming in under your calories so often, especially since you workout a lot. Try adding another 100-200 calories a day for two weeks and see if that helps.
    "...just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face." ~Harry Dresden

a33304d72319c25b3ad2d4d075ab3bc0.jpg
    Who Me? wrote: »
    So, I was being really good and "saved up" my weekly points so I could have some beer and not-so-healthy bar food while watching football on Sunday. But, it appears that the new week starts on Sunday?! I don't know why I didn't think of that. I'm so annoyed! I basically planned out my whole weekend--Friday, Sat., and Sunday to be primarily healthy but also to be able to fit in a splurge.

Now, NEXT Saturday when I'm having a major party I was going to "save up" all my weekly points to use, but it turns out I already used a bunch of them this past Sunday! I don't like this, the week should start on Monday! Any way you can change that?

I just assumed your week started the day you signed up. So for me, since I signed up on a Friday, my weekly points start over on Friday. It's also my weigh in day as I weighed myself the day I signed up as a baseline.

I just took a look - if you log in to WW on your computer (not your phone app), you can click on Weekly Remaining - it tells you when your weekly points reset, but I can't find where you can change that...
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
  • cinimonstkcinimonstk Posts: 35Registered Users
    I started WW in 1/13/12 and now I'm down 46 lbs! I barely exercised until I joined the gym on 7/23. I've gone down from a 20-22 to a 14-16, had to buy an totally new wardrobe in August and it felt GOOD! I've plateaued the last month, gaining and losing the same 1-2 lbs. I haven't been tracking like I should due to a vacation and family gatherings when my Nana died (we ate and ate and ate). I'm getting back on track, trying to lose 15 more lbs by Christmas! People have even asked me, little ole me!, for WW info and how I did it. :) my hubby has not joined but is now on a quest to eat healthier and we work out together. I am a much happier person now than I was 9 month ago!
    Getting to know my hair!

2c/3a, Med/high porosity, Fine hair, Still trying to figure out elasticity, Colored

Products I am auditioning:
    Co-wash & LI: Suave Nat. Trop Coco
    Low Poo: Pure Elements Sulfate-Free Color Protect Shampoo
    Stylers: Biotera Curl Creme, Argan Oil, Aussie Sydney Smooth Gel, AIF
    PT: GVP Kpak
    DT: PE Intensive Repair