CurlTalk

Would you consider getting

munchkinmunchkin Posts: 2,909Registered Users
a facelift? Or have you gotten one already?

Just curious as to various thoughts on this. If the money wasn't an issue, would you consider getting one?
3b/c

Comments

• curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 11,970Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    No, I wouldn't get a facelift. I'm too afraid of surgery (having had my share of operations when I didn't have a choice). That's my only reason. I have no problem with anyone else getting one.
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 19,238Registered Users Curl Dabbler
    No I wouldn't get a facelift, or botox, or any other alterations unless I need it for health reasons. I'm just one of those odd people who isn't concerned with aging. I'm the age I am no matter what I look like. If I look my age, so be it. I have no urge to go back in time.
    Not that I'm not horrified sometimes when I look in the mirror. hahaha. But I'm fine with it. It's all part of living to an old age.
    And I think most people who have work done look weird, no matter how good their doctors are. It makes me sad that my favorite movie/tv/rock stars can't just age naturally. They would look so much better.
    But that said, people should do what makes them happy.
    --I'm located in Western PA.
    --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, started going grey in late 2005.
    --My hair is 3B with some 3A, texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
    --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, oils, honey, vinegar.
    --My CG and grey hair progress -- http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html
  • StarmieStarmie Posts: 6,677Registered Users Curl Dabbler
    No, I wouldn't/haven't. When I was younger I couldn't understand why anyone would do it, as I've got older I do see why people would do it, it's not pleasant to see things drooping and lines appearing. That said, I've kinda got used to seeing what I see in the mirror and the thought of seeing something different freaks me out!
    3b in South Australia.
  • 2poodles2poodles Posts: 2,480Registered Users
    I have no interest in facelifts. A friend of mine had one a number of years ago - she went through a lot of pain and swelling. I do botox, however. I like how it makes me look more rested and calm - less cranky! I also like how it begins to work gradually and how its effects fade gradually. I've had it done 3 times now - 4 months apart each time.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2Poodles :flower: Southeast PA
    fine, med porosity, normal elasticity
    Currently using the following 2 - 3 x/week:
    Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

• anonymous_22139anonymous_22139 Posts: 659Registered Users
    Nope, I wouldn't do it. I'm kinda liking the crinkly eyes and the jowls. I must be an odd person, I actually look forward to being older and slowing down. I don't want to be in constant pain though and so I think you should take great care of your body - but as far as looks go, I think there is actually an advantage to looking your age.
  • munchkinmunchkin Posts: 2,909Registered Users
    I know two people who have had them. One had a LifeStyle Lift and the other a regular facelift. They both look really good. They both said there was swelling and pain. The one who got the facelift said she would do it again in a snap. The one who got the LifeStyle lift said it didn't address the area she was concerned about around her mouth. Personally, I think she looks good. I guess I am a firm believer in this day and age if you have the money and the resources are available, why not.
    3b/c
  • anonymous_22139anonymous_22139 Posts: 659Registered Users
    munchkin wrote: »
    I guess I am a firm believer in this day and age if you have the money and the resources are available, why not.

Why not, you ask? My question is why take the risk?

Complications include (1) hematoma, (2) nerve injuries, (3) infection, (4) skin flap necrosis, (5) hypertrophic scarring, (6) alopecia and hairline/earlobe deformities, and (7) parotid gland pseudocyst.
    So-called minimally invasive procedures such as barbed suture lifting have emerged.[1] With these and other recent minimally invasive procedures, such as thread lifts, new complications have been reported, including Stensen duct laceration and suture visibility and extrusion.
    An example of facelift surgery complications can be seen in the image below.
    834279-843613-806tn.jpg

I guess if it is worth the gamble to "look better" and of course that is still debatable, then go ahead and spend a ton of money and the time it takes to recover. I'm just not sure it will make your life any better. But yeah, it is still someone's personal decision.

I simply don't like living in a society that denigrates our older populatuion and the natural effects of aging, and then places such a value upon artificial appearance. But I'm weird that way. :tongue3:
  • claudine19claudine19 Posts: 4,486Registered Users
    I'd do it, if I were sagging. Some faces seem to droop more than others.

As for botox, I've done it twice and would definitely do so again.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dogs and nature abhor a vacuum.
    http://geaugadoggy.wordpress.com
  • munchkinmunchkin Posts: 2,909Registered Users
    claudine19 wrote: »
    I'd do it, if I were sagging. Some faces seem to droop more than others.

As for botox, I've done it twice and would definitely do so again.

I am considering it and this is why. My mother's family has a real "sagging" face problem. My jowls bother me something terrible.
    3b/c
  • claudine19claudine19 Posts: 4,486Registered Users
    Oh, I'd get rid of jowls.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dogs and nature abhor a vacuum.
    http://geaugadoggy.wordpress.com
  • alacurlalacurl Posts: 1,193Registered Users
    I don't like the idea of risky procedures for vanity. I'm holding up pretty well so far (ha ha!), but if I were miserable with my appearance, then I might consider it. However, I'm definitely afraid of the fake, plastic look. I prefer the natural effects of aging on other people, so probably would not risk surgery/botox for myself.
    shoulder-length 3a/b, depending on weather and products (or lack of products!)
  • wavyblondewavyblonde Posts: 1,637Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I turn 40 this month, so it's definitely not something I'm thinking about in the next 10-15 years, but I can see where I've lost fat here and there in the face, and I can see where I look older even if no one else can. I hate the plastic surgery look, but a well-done facelift can look fantastic. My biggest issue is getting to the point where my outsides don't match my insides. I don't want to look old. I also don't want to try to look 20.

So my solution is facial exercises to keep things where they need to be and to look good for my age. If I ever reach a point where I just look too haggard or jowly, I'll get it fixed surgically. I prefer to do things naturally, though, because it would be horrible to get something done and look like an alien.
    2c/3a with 2b underlayer. Fine, porous. Loves protein. But not hydrolized wheat protein. Yuck.

Wash: WEN Sweet Almond Mint or Pomegranate
    Gels: LA Looks Sport Gel
    Mousse: Tigi Catwalk Curlesque
    Curling creams/gellies: Coffee Coco Curling Cream Lite, Spiral Solutions Curl Enhancing Jelly, Curls Gel-les'c
    SOTC: JC N&S (LOVE)
    http://public.fotki.com/wavyblonde/hair-2010/
  • FEMBOTFEMBOT Banned Posts: 72Banned Users
    No, not unless I looked like Mama Elsa :silent:
  • Robin-in-FLRobin-in-FL Posts: 1,731Registered Users
    Like wavyblonde. If I had a money tree I'd definitely consider getting some kind of work done; but since I don't have a money tree I do the face exercises and they have helped quite a bit to build back the 'cushion' that was being lost, and pulled the face back up some.

Also I'd definitely consider something designed to smooth or to stress the skin so it built more collagen to lift it. And would also definitely consider something to reduce dark spots on face and hands.

And I do use the Retin-A, but that was more to fix acne/rosacea. I think it does help to keep the skin nice.

But I do not want to look "young", exactly, I do want to look "good". I don't mind lines much, but don't have many. I think I'd be more prone to the saggage?

I am hoping for collagen-building lasers to be improved, more than face lift. But I'd think about it, yes. Not an agressive one.

What I would *not* do, that most ladies of my build seem to do, is breast implants.
    2c / C / iii (FIA)
    Med-Coarse, LowPorosity, NormalElast (LCLF)

Shoulder-Length now.

Wash: DevaCare Low Poo
    Detangle & Rinseout: Walgreens or Sally's Conditioning Balm (always)
    Leave-in: DevaCare OneC (budget choice is GFTN)
    Style: ReCoil & DevaCare Arc Angel (budget choices are HESMU or Got2BSpikedUp)

Henna!
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    No. I have had many necessary surgeries in my lifetime and have no desire to go under the knife if I don't have to.
  • banjocurlbanjocurl Posts: 1,020Registered Users
    NEVER!!!!!!! NO FACELIFT NO BOTOX NO SURGERY UNLESS I AM DYING!! (or orthopedically compromised). my face is fine for a 62 year old. no it doesnt look like a 30 yr old face. oh well. get over it. im 62. i work, hike, play music, swim and have fun. my face fits my age. now my hair is natural and goes with my face. the one thing i did was get veneers on my teeth. i got a lot of bang for that buck for sure...
    Susan suburban NY
    3b going gray, not thick, waist length when wet, a bit below shoulders when dry
    CG since 11/11/04
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fbanjolady%2F" class="Popup
    PW: banjo
    HG: suave and honey for co-wash, deva, i use garnier fructis regular CO's or boots pink or white as leave ins and LA looks sport gel. plop w microfiber turban, then curl towel scrunch, then another turban.i sleep with the turban on. little one minute hair styling videos /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fuser%2Flazycurls" class="Popup
  • PerkyCurlzPerkyCurlz Posts: 25Registered Users
    Boob lift? Heck yeah!

Tummy tuck? Sure!

Facelift? NEVER!
    med/coarse texture; med/high porosity; 3b; iii; 30" long (waist)

CWC using whatever works this week

:love3: A curly girl married to a curly guy! :love3:

• CurlyinColoradoCurlyinColorado Posts: 3,093Registered Users
    I wouldn't get a facelift, but I did just purchase a groupon to have a CO2 laser procedure done. I'm excited. My friend had it done and the results were amazing.
    2b/3a.
  • 2poodles2poodles Posts: 2,480Registered Users
    I wouldn't get a facelift, but I did just purchase a groupon to have a CO2 laser procedure done. I'm excited. My friend had it done and the results were amazing.

I'll be interested to hear about your experience. Good luck!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2Poodles :flower: Southeast PA
    fine, med porosity, normal elasticity
    Currently using the following 2 - 3 x/week:
    Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

• MyrnaMyrna Posts: 2,332Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    What is a CO2 laser procedure? what areas does it target and how long does it last?

I have good skin for a 61 year old woman, really no lines, other than the "smile" lines which I hate and could be helped with Relastyn. But what I hate more is the softening of the jaw line. I have been told I could get a "mini lift, but these procedures are not cheap. And, I too am afraid. I have a client who had some work done in Costa Rico, and though I am not sure of what she had done, she had to sleep sitting up. Yikes.
  • CurlyinColoradoCurlyinColorado Posts: 3,093Registered Users
    Update: the procedure went really well and I'm thrilled with the results.

Post-op was a pita, lots of Aquaphor and face washing. The first four days weren't painful, but looked it. Day 2 I swelled up, day 3, I enjoyed Thanksgiving at my BF's house while her daughter stared at me throughout dinner, day 4 was the last day of scary face, by day 7 I was back at work and everyone just asked where I got sun. I stayed inside most of those days and when I ventured out, I was covered with a hat and shades.

The skin is smooth and refreshed. I'm not kidding when I say it probably shaved 4-6 years off my looks, people comment on my "glow" and I'd do it again in a heart beat.

The procedure itself took 15 minutes, if you have a tattoo it feels a little similar to that. I went in without expectations because I didn't want to set myself up for disappointment.

I'm 43, grew up in Phoenix, never wore sunscreen and smoked for 20+ years, I feel like I've a new start to take care of my skin and I no longer need all the expensive skin care products... just a good cleanser and sunscreen.

I can see myself doing this again in another 10 years or so.
    2b/3a.
  • PoochiePoochie Posts: 293Registered Users
    that's great curly! I'd do it too if I could get any downtime.

I'm not opposed to botox or fillers, although I haven't had either yet. Unfortunately both are temporary, but that also makes them less scary.
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,495Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'm OK w/ removing but I don't want to add anything.

• MooshvilleMooshville Posts: 104Registered Users
    If money wasn't an issue, maybe nip and tucks here and there. You can tell who's had the surgery and it looks pretty phony. Botox drives me nuts on folks. Very few you can't really tell but most you can. My aunt who is 43 does this and we tease her about how she looks stiff for a month before it wears down.
  • VTmomVTmom Posts: 2,486Registered Users
    Although I'm not a fan of the word "never," I don't think I'd ever get anything done. At 55, I've aged pretty gracefully, even though there is definitely room for improvement. I eat well, work out, and am told I look quite a bit younger than I am. In the interest of full disclosure, I do highlight my hair. ;)

I'm also a firm believer in being nonjudgmental, so props to anyone brave enough to go under the knife.
    The smallest deed is greater than the grandest intention.

I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul. (Invictus - William Ernest Henley)

Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that,
    Used to worry 'bout rich and skinny, 'til I wound up poor and fat,
    Nowadays I kind of worry where my mind's been at,
    Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that. (Delbert McClinton - I Used to Worry from Never Been Rocked Enough)

Leave a Comment