cold sores...:(

Charming NotionCharming Notion Posts: 697Registered Users
i have a real bad problem with cold sores. they always appear right at the corner of my mouth and within the vincity of it. i use blistex and that seems to work, but it takes really long for them to dry up. covering them up with make up probably isn't helping either. please help!!!
formerly;; girl anachronism

politics is like me and my buddy going hippo hunting. we shoot a hippo and it falls on us. now, instead of using our joint effort of pushing the hippo off of us, we arue for 5 1/2 years on who's idea it was in the first place to go hippo hunting.

Comments

• SnarlsSnarls Posts: 2,537Registered Users
    Some people take lysine supplements and that helps. It didn't work for me.

Abreva helps them go away faster, but it's ridiculously expensive. I also found that it became less effective for me with continued use. I switched to Novitra and that's helped shorten the duration of the sores and relieve some of the pain. AND it's cheaper.

I get at least one cold sore whenever I have PMS or my period. Also, whenever I put on any kind of lip balm or lipstick (fresh! clean! never used before!) I get a cold sore. The only moisturizer I can use on my lips seems to be vitamin e. Anyway. I absolutely hate cold sores.

There's oral medication you can get by prescription, but I don't know if a doctor will prescribe it for the occasional sore. I think the prescription drugs are mostly used for herpes outbreaks in other areas.
    formerly Castella
    (my dogs aren't snarly, my hair is)
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,717Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    I too use Novitra. I get a few tubes at a time on Ebay. I get my cold sores on my nose/nostrals (yes, just what someone with a big nose wants - giant red cold sores on their nose!). They are really painful in addition to being ugly. I found Novitra to be helpful in healing and in pain relief (some of the cold sore meds I've tried burned like heck!).
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • BotanicalcurlsBotanicalcurls Posts: 30Registered Users
    Ages ago, my Grandmother gave me some great advice on cold sores. As soon as you feel that "tingle" of a cold sore, grab a Q-tip and soak it in Campho-phenique liqud and rub it where you feel the sore developing for a good 30 seconds. Do this every few hours throughout the day. If you do this in time, it will not develop into a sore, it just goes away!! Unfortunately, if you don't catch it in time, I think Abreva or the other brand is about all you can do to shorten the life of the sore. I keep Campho Phenique at work and at home because you never know when you're going to get one. Works like a charm for me and now my hubby swears by it too!
    3b, coarse dark blonde hair; cut fairly short - just below ears.
    TJ's Nourish for CO wash, Too Shea! as conditioner and leave-in, Bioterra gel (Too Shea! & Bioterra are my HG!)
  • curlyjenncurlyjenn Posts: 590Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I have a coworker that uses a cotton swab to apply ethanol (Everclear) to her sores several times a day. I don't know if it helps them go away or if she's sippin in between.....HAHAHA just kidding. She swears by the stuff.
    I'm a 3b, with 3c underneath.
    I'm a product junkie. <3
  • tinabcurlytinabcurly Posts: 545Registered Users
    I've been using Abreva & Lysine+ at the first tingle & every hour until it's gone. Usually they end up not becoming a sore. I got one on Saturday morning that swelled my lip up to twice it's size. Today it's down to a 1/8 of an inch red spot- not swollen at all.

I haven't used Novitra, but it's definitely worth a try. The Lysine+ is an ointment with L-lysine, Vit A, D,E & zinc oxide-- stinks a little, but doesn't burn at all & seems to help the whole process along keeping the sore from cracking/peeling & then bleeding.

I get a few a year--when my lips get really dried out, if I forget sunblock in the summer, when stressed or after dental work. The best way for me to prevent them is to keep my lips moisturized, wear sunblock & put A&D ointment on them after the dentist. (I don't know why A&D-yep, the diaper balm-- my denstist suggested it years ago & it seems to work)

If your cold sores are bad enough, the doctor might prescribe Valtrex. They're prescribing that for all kinds of viruses now.

Godd Luck!
    3a/b mix
    pw:curlyqs
  • KristaRoseKristaRose Posts: 546Registered Users
    With the Valtrex, I've found that the cold sore doesn't necessarily go away, but it doesn't get bigger, either. You need to start taking it at the first sign of a cold sore. I had to ask my doctor for a prescription. (Bummer, though, is that my prescriptions now cost me $30. So I usually just suffer with the cold sore.)
    3B
    Growing out from a pixie cut. Long process but I'm getting there.
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,717Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    It seems that I'm the only one that gets no 'warning' of an upcoming cold sore. No tingling, burning, itching, nothing.
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • YolyCYolyC Posts: 3,758Registered Users
    It seems that I'm the only one that gets no 'warning' of an upcoming cold sore. No tingling, burning, itching, nothing.

I'm the same way Jeep. No symptoms at all, then BAM! this huge ugly sore. I also use Abreva. I only used it last summer and it worked great. My trigger is lots of sunlight, so I've decided this year I'm just going to put some on before we go to the lake or pool and maybe it will stop it from forming all together. Wishful thinking but we'll see if it works. :D

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"If you don't stand for something you will fall for anything."
    Malcolm X
  • lharrcurllharrcurl Posts: 9Registered Users
    I too suffer from cold sores and have found Abreva works best for me. Recently I stumbled upon some homeopathic stuff for cold sores. It's called Aeura The Cold Sore Formula. At the first sign of tingling you let 3 or 4 of the little pills dissolve in your mouth. Then take one every few hours.

I found I was able to completely prevent a cold sore from forming using the Aeura and a little Abreva. The bad part of this combo is it's very expensive. The Aeura costs $39.99 but it's a nice size bottle (depending on how often you get cold sores). I have been able to find Aeura only at CVS, so far.

The other thing I've found that helps is to get rest as soon as you feel one coming on, even a nice nap will help.
    Last Relaxer: Dec 03
    BC: May 2005
    3c/4a (I think)
  • mrspoppersmrspoppers Posts: 7,223Registered Users Curl Novice
    If you get them that often, maybe you can try the prescription medications. My sister swears by them and says OTC can't come close.
    When are women going to face the fact that they don’t know their own bodies as well as men who have heard things?

Don Langrick
    Bonsai Culturist
  • briccagrlbriccagrl Posts: 540Registered Users
    KristaRose wrote:
    With the Valtrex, I've found that the cold sore doesn't necessarily go away, but it doesn't get bigger, either. You need to start taking it at the first sign of a cold sore. I had to ask my doctor for a prescription. (Bummer, though, is that my prescriptions now cost me $30. So I usually just suffer with the cold sore.)

Was that $30 for Valtrex or the generic? The generic is Avyclovir and is supposed to be alot cheaper.
    .png

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file