Curls turn in different directions

SweetSquatchiiSweetSquatchii Posts: 138Registered Users
Does anyone else notice how their curls (or clumps of curls) turn in different directions? I'm not talking one side of the head vs the other, but more of clumps of curls right next to each other! I have a mix of 2B/2C hair with a few ringlets mixed in and I've noticed that some clumps of curls are completely going in different directions. Example, one right above my ear is twirling counter clockwise and then one right above that one is clockwise. I recently noticed because I've found that I can actually encourage clumping by twirling some of the stringy strands around my finger while it's damp/dry in the direction that it curls. Very similar to the skip curl method but while almost dry. I think it works so well because of the gel i ise it really works well with my hair to fight frizz Since going CG and doing a BC all I've got left is fairly healthy hair and it behaves a TON better so I can see my wave/curl pattern better and I see this difference in curl pattern all over now!

Are my curls/wave spastic or am I not alone in this? I'm really only asking for sanity sake.
2C, Medium/Fine, Low Porosity, High Density - CG since 5.19.12
Cowash: Burt's Bee's More Moisture Boabab
Conditioner/LI: Nature's Gate Tea Tree Conditioner - I don't RO
Styling Products: KCCC, KY, Deva Arc AnGel, HESMU

Comments

• curlyQcutie22curlyQcutie22 Posts: 151Registered Users
    You are not alone! Lol my hair does this too. It's maddening. I would finger twist some of my smaller sections and by the end of the day they would either fall out or make this weird tube looking thing, not a nice tight curl. It's because i was curling it the wrong way! Lol now I just leave them alone and let them do their thing :p
  • SweetSquatchiiSweetSquatchii Posts: 138Registered Users
    Ugh I know! When I twisted in the right direction they look amazing so I started trying all over and some would go poker straight by the en of the day and it WAS maddening! After my BC I could totally see it more!
  • jsuzkelleyjsuzkelley Posts: 610Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    My hair does this too, and I also twirl sections of my hair together to encourage clumps and curl formation. I usually scrunch my hair to get the curls going and so I can see which direction they want to curl naturally, then I just twirl together strands that like to curl the same way.
    2c/3a, botticelli/wavy/'swavy (huh?)
    fine, dense, normal porosity/elasticity, dry climate
    My favorite brands are Kinky Curly, As I am, Curly Kinks, Curl Junkie, and Darcy's Botanicals. Also love sealing with oils (loving argan oil right now) and styling with jelly products (KCCC is my current favorite). Mostly trying to keep it simple!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

CG since 12/29/2011 :laughing6:
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,231Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Yes, my curls are totally schizy this way. Like make up your mind already, curls! I envy everyone with a consistent curl pattern.
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • Libra_MoonLibra_Moon Posts: 255Registered Users
    thats the one thng I STILL hate about my hair!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Growing out Pixie since 5-10-2008 with some trims and anxiety chops along the way...
    hair details: BSL(c)/MBL(s) - 2b/2c (MPD if truth be told) - f/m, iii, porosity med-low.
    Please feel free to follow my FB blog page as I go through Cosmetology school abd beyond
    what else do you need/want to know? Blame all spelling mistakes on me, my fat fingers or autocorrect.
    oh yeah, and I'm newly gluten free...thanks to celiac
  • txwvy32txwvy32 Posts: 161Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Mine is the same way. I have lots of those "tubes" going through my hair where curls intertwine with each other but are not going the same direction. I let them alone to do their thing, but I guess that's their thing lol.
    2(I have no idea what pattern), low porosity, mix of medium and coarse, dense

*Have just discovered the amazingness that is the "Spritz and Condish" routine* :toothy10::toothy10::toothy10:

Shampoo: SM Moisture Retention Shampoo
    Co-wash: VO5 Vanilla Mint Tea Clarifying Conditioner
    RO: GVP CB, Garnier Triple Nutrition
    LI : Whatever conditioner I used + EVOO or Argon oil
    Stylers: Organix Moroccan Curling Perfection Defining Creme, EcoStyler Gel (krystal)
  • SweetSquatchiiSweetSquatchii Posts: 138Registered Users
    I am SOOOOO glad I'm not the only one. I thought I had rogue curls or ones with multiple personalities. :P
  • KearssssKearssss Posts: 1Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    I tried to make my curls for defined so i curled them all the same way and my hair did not agree with that. Now my hair is in these  squiggly shapes and i dont like it. Idk how to fix it. I tried washing it and letting it do its own thing but they wont go back and idk what to do. I think i broke my hair lol. Someone help lol 
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,840Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    Welcome, @Kearssss. I bet it will revert to its natural pattern after a couple washes. Or maybe you get to enjoy a whole new look! Keep us posted!

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • WildberryWildberry Posts: 90Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    My waves mostly curl the same way, but I have some that like to weave together to make some kind of weird tube. At least I have one tube on each side of the face, so I can pretend it's some kind of funky hairstyle choice. :D
  • jnoellejnoelle Posts: 0Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    My hair curls in 2 different directions IN THE SAME CURL CLUMP. It’s crazy. The bottom part (which is still damaged) is looser and will curl one direction and then the part closer to the root in the same clump will curl the opposite direction. So strange...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file