Help! Pic posted. Pls help me give my curls full potential

PinkstewartPinkstewart Registered Users Posts: 15
this pic is of air dried hair. its fine, frizzy and a mess. I'm struggling with it. It won't dry straight, it won't diffuse curly, just a frizzy mess. Looking for recs. I'm feeling sad about my hair and not sure how to handle it. I want it to be healthy and beautiful. Open to ALL suggestions!

Comments

• Corrina777Corrina777 Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Curl Connoisseur
    What is your current routine (products and techniques)?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a/f/iii
    Modified CG since 11/5/11
    CLEANSE: CJ Daily Fix, DevaCare No-Poo, CHS Treatment Shampoo
    RO: SS Caitlin's Conditioner, CJ Beauticurls Strengthening
    LI: SS Repairing Protein Treatment, CHS Silk Leave-In
    STYLE: Re:Coil, Curl Keeper, Deva Ultra Defining Gel, Curls Rock Amplifier,Sweet Curls Elixirs Okra Gel and Hard Hold Gel, SS Curl Enhancing Jelly and Firm Hold Gel
  • PinkstewartPinkstewart Registered Users Posts: 15
    I can't co wash, too hard on my oily scalp and lose too much hair. So now I'm washing ever 2/3 days with loreal ever cream poo and then use Gvp conditioning balm. Ive started to use its a 10 miracle leave in product. Also I'll use ion repair solutions treatment every 5th wash. I tried Marc Anthony curl enhancing styling foam.
    The It's a 10 and Marc Anthony products do contain silicones. The low-poo you're using should prevent any buildup, but long term use of silicones could cause some dryness, although from my own experience, my hair has a much greater tolerance of cones in my styling products than it has for my cones in my shampoo and conditioner. I do use silicones on occasion, but I generally try to stay away from them.

In the most general terms, getting maximum curl and minimum frizz is about two sort of related things. The first is treating your hair as gently as possible. For many people this means no brushing or combing dry hair and only using your fingers to detangle wet hair that's loaded up with conditioner. It also means no rubbing hair dry with a terry cloth towel. Use a microfiber towel or a cotton t-shirt to gently squeeze/scrunch extra water from hair.

The second part is the trickier part for most people- finding the right balance of protein and moisture for your hair. Since you said that your hair is fine, there's a good chance that some good doses of protein will perk up your curls. But moisture is also really important- that's why so many of the people here limit or avoid silicone products (at least the non water soluble silicones). Silicones coat the hair and act as an invisible barrier between the hair and the environment. That can be both good and bad, because over the long term it can make it difficult to get moisture into the hair strands. And the cleansers that remove silicones are not the most gentle out there. For that reason, I do suggest that everyone at least try a sulfate and silicone free (CG) routine for at least a little while, just to see what it can do. Then if you choose to modify after that you have a good starting point.

I know you mentioned that co-washing didn't work for you, but I'm going to throw this out there anyway (because I also believed that I couldn't co-wash due to excessively oily scalp). If you were using silicone products while following a conditioner only routine, you were not seeing accurate results because you would likely have been dealing with silicone buildup. I found that I can co-wash as long as I use a very light conditioner (I prefer VO5 Vanilla Mint Tea or Kiwi Lime). I use a TON of conditioner because I have a ton of hair and I apply along my hairline and work my way in towards my crown. I massage my scalp for a good 2 or 3 minutes and I also continue massaging as I rinse out the co-wash.

If you do decide to try going silicone free, make sure you start with a nice clean slate by doing a final wash with a shampoo that has sulfates but no silicones (Suave Daily Clarifying is a great cheap option). I'm sorry this ended up being so long. Hopefully it helps a bit.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a/f/iii
    STYLE: Re:Coil, Curl Keeper, Deva Ultra Defining Gel, Curls Rock Amplifier,Sweet Curls Elixirs Okra Gel and Hard Hold Gel, SS Curl Enhancing Jelly and Firm Hold Gel
    While I co washed I was 100% silicone free. I only intro the 2 styling products back Into my routine this week, and I do use a tshirt to dry hair. I can't dry with a diffuser,makes me a hot mess. And I dont comb/brush. Finger style only. I've done a lot of research and am still struggling,
    Have you tried a protein treatment or a deep conditioning treatment?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a/f/iii
  • luvhavinbgtwinsluvhavinbgtwins Registered Users Posts: 36 Curl Novice
    Reading this post curious is a vo5 hot oil a good treatment for this. Do you know also if the vo5 moisture milk shampoos have sils in them? Thanks
    Curl Pattern- 2a/2b few 2c underneath I think
    Porosity-after 4 min floated- low porosity (
    Density-
    Length- 
    colored treated hair-damage from color and heat products
    Haven't colored since Nov 2017
    Letting my natural highlights shine through😁

oily top/ very dry middle to ends

frizzy-coarse-sort of thick and thin

Sm shampoo
    co wash -suave tropical coconut or Tressemee Botanique w/coconut milk and aloe vera
    style La looks
    Leave in -Cantu
    Cantu curling cream

Thyroid Hypo  (doesnt help the hair)
    Hard water (has filter but still doesnt help)
    Living in Florida
  • asianrunnerasianrunner Registered Users Posts: 2,251 Curl Neophyte
    Gel or mousse would probably help give you more definition.
    Coarse texture, normal-high porosity, normal elasticity (Komaza Care), very weak waves
    cleanser: Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix

rinse out: GVP Conditioning Balm, CJ Beauticurls, CJ Smoothing

jellies/creams: CR Curl Maker, KCCC
    gels: CJ CQ, CJ Pattern Pusha, BRHG

• raindearraindear Registered Users Posts: 356 Curl Neophyte
    I also think it's worth mentioning that when many people start a co wash program, their scalp continues producing oils at the same rate that was necessary for replenishing the oils removed by drying sulfate shampoos. It takes a while for the scalp to slow down oil production to accommodate your new regime.
    Be Happy!

Type:2b/3ab?
    Texture:Medium/fine
    Porosity:Normal
    Elasticity:Normal

Experimenting with too many products to name here. All this great info keeps my head spinning. :happy6:
    I co washed for over a monh as was losing a ton, and I mean a ton of Nepalis each it time. Not worth it to me
  • dresdendolldresdendoll Registered Users Posts: 435
    Right now, I am LOVING the Beautiful Curls line by Allafia that you can find at health food stores and Whole Foods. They have lines for all different hair types :) I think the one for Wavy to Curly Hair might work well for you! I have been using this on an off for about a year and using it consistently for a few months. They're all natural too(:
    Beautiful Curls Fair Trade Shea Butter Curly Hair Care

If you don't want to go CG, Suave Professionals Captivating Curls Mousse is amazing and only $3. That should clump and enhance your curls, but beware of the silicones.

What's really important is finding out your porosity! Here's the strand test. Take a strand of hair and move your fingers on it from tip to root..
    LOW- If the strand makes a squeaky sound. Low porosity meas your hair cannot absorb moisture really easily because the cuticle is so bound. You need to avoid any proteins in the ingredients (ie. hydrolyzed wheat protein,) and you should focus on moisturizing your hair, but avoid heavy, greasy products because they'll weigh your hair down. Also, you should get a soap-based shampoo to open the cuticle. Beautiful Curls and Dr. Bronners make some, I think. It helps absorb the conditioner.

HIGH- If your fingers slide really easily along the strand with no squeaking. This means your hair might be damaged and can absorb moisture but loses it quickly. Your hair might love proteins. You want to use a shampoo that is "ph balanced," so it won't open your cuticle because it's already open. Instead, you will want to close it by using a ph balanced shampoo. High porosity hair also soaks up heavier products. Seal moisture into your hair by applying some oil to it. Oh, and don't use anything with glycerin! It will make you frizzy.

NORMAL - If you can't really tell whether or not it squeaks. Lucky you! :) Just try to keep some protein in your routine and find your protein-moisture balance.

All in all, though, I realllly recommend the Beautiful Curls stuff. I, being a recovered product junkie, have tried A LOT, and BC makes affordable products that work well. However, other brands and products people like are...
    Shea Moisture: Moisture Retention Shampoo, Restorative Conditioner, Curl & Style Milk
    Kinky-Curly: Knot Today Leave-in Conditioner, Curling Custard
    Trader Joe's: Nourish Shampoo, Nourish Conditioner, Tea Tree Tingle Shampoo (want to try this!)

You definitely have potential, though! Good luck(:
    2c/2b with some 2a, coarse, dense, thick, low porosity
    Growing out a CL bob. Currently at APL.
    CG again as of 7/20/12 :laughing5:

Cleanser: BRÖÖ Smoothing I.P.A. Shampoo
    RO: Trader Joe's Nourish Spa Conditioner
    LI: Kinky-Curly Knot Today
    Styler: Beautiful Curls Gel for Wavy to Curly Hair

:love4: all-natural products, light moisture, humectants, argan oil
    :pukeright:silk protein, synthetic ingredients, heavy oils/products, cowashing

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file