Diffuser damage?

DepressedCurlsDepressedCurls Registered Users Posts: 836
Did anyone experience any heat damage with using a diffuser? I wanna use it to cut down on drying time, but mostly for curl definition and volume. I don't want to sacrifice the health of my hair for it though. And i plan on dying my hair in two weeks, so i don't know if diffusing would be even more so bad on newly dyed hair.

Comments

• curlypearlcurlypearl Registered Users Posts: 12,231 Curl Connoisseur
    I worry about that also. I never put it on a high setting and I don't leave it in one place for long.

I put my hands next to it frequently, while it is drying my hair and that helps me determine if it's too hot. If it's too hot for my hand, it's to hot for my hair.

Also, many people don't diffuse until the hair is totally dry, but there are mixed opinions on this. As the hair gets drier, I switch to a very low/cool setting. Diffusing definitely helps me with volume.

HTH!
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • DepressedCurlsDepressedCurls Registered Users Posts: 836
    curlypearl wrote: »
    I worry about that also. I never put it on a high setting and I don't leave it in one place for long.

I put my hands next to it frequently, while it is drying my hair and that helps me determine if it's too hot. If it's too hot for my hand, it's to hot for my hair.

Also, many people don't diffuse until the hair is totally dry, but there are mixed opinions on this. As the hair gets drier, I switch to a very low/cool setting. Diffusing definitely helps me with volume.

HTH!

Because i want definition, I don't think diffusing while it's already dry would help would it?
    I heard that because it's not direct heat on the hair, it doesn't damage it and some ladies haven't noticed any damaged. I'm just very conflicted.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using CurlTalk App
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Registered Users Posts: 12,231 Curl Connoisseur
    I don't think diffusing helps with definition at all, but it seems to help me with volume.

Diffusing dry sounds like it would damage hair if it is too hot or goes on for too long. I don't see the advantage of diffusing dry so I try to stop when it's dry or just a little before.

What products are you trying for definition? :pl:
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • SweetSquatchiiSweetSquatchii Registered Users Posts: 138
    I used one if not daily then every other day only on wet hair and I haven't noticed any heat damage. I use it on high med heat and low blow (heehee). I find if I use the right product with diffusing I get way better clumping results. I also dont do the whole washing routine everyday and sometimes just rewet and reapply LI and gel products before I use it. Also I hold it at a 45 degree angle when diffusing so I'm not blasting it directly on my scalp or keep it in one place too long as I go. Another thing it do os sort of insert it upward into my hair as oppose to using my hands to cup the curls in as i go around my head if that makes sense. If I just diffuse a I go and don't touch it I find I also get less frizz. When it's dry to my satisfaction I spray with a hold gel all over then sort of tousle it a bit to help separate the too big clumps then SOTC. I almost don't the final result until I'm ready to spay with a finishing spray. I guess I focus on my drying and not touching until the end then I worry about placing pieces after. I can place pieces better if they are already clumped vs trying to make a section of curls do what they don't want to do.
    2C, Medium/Fine, Low Porosity, High Density - CG since 5.19.12
    Cowash: Burt's Bee's More Moisture Boabab
    Conditioner/LI: Nature's Gate Tea Tree Conditioner - I don't RO
    Styling Products: KCCC, KY, Deva Arc AnGel, HESMU
    That's what a few girls have told me, I'm not sure how it'd help with definition. Besides when you lift it up, like in a scrunch motion, it could form a better curl. But i really don't use curl enhancing products. I scrunch in my vO5 cheap conditioner, and then either eco styler gel or 3 in 1 conditioning mousse. I just purchased the mousse and I'm still experimenting. But that's all I use. I'm pretty basic. I get consistent great curls but not really second or third day hair because the curls lose their nice tight curl pattern and get frizzy and just fall down some. But thank you guys for the advice. :) I'm really hoping to figure something out. I just wanna keep my hair healthy so i can grow it out a few more inches.

• StellarCurlsStellarCurls Registered Users Posts: 159 Curl Connoisseur
    I cup some hair in my diffuser while the dryer is off, press it to my head, and dry on medium for maybe 30-60 second a section (I think this is the same as the pixie curl method). My hair is fine so I do three sections, total of maybe 3 min drying time. Since the dryer is right by my scalp, I know if it gets warm and remove it right away. I haven't noticed any damage, and I don't use a heat protectant.

Sent from my PC36100 using CurlTalk App
    APL 3A
    Medium porosity, medium density, medium thickness
    Current routine: Daily co-washing with Giovanni conditioner (whatever is on sale), styling with Catwalk Curls Rock Curl Amplifier, and 1-2x per week cleansing with a Chagrin Valley shampoo bar followed by an ACV rinse
    I cup some hair in my diffuser while the dryer is off, press it to my head, and dry on medium for maybe 30-60 second a section (I think this is the same as the pixie curl method). My hair is fine so I do three sections, total of maybe 3 min drying time. Since the dryer is right by my scalp, I know if it gets warm and remove it right away. I haven't noticed any damage, and I don't use a heat protectant.

Sent from my PC36100 using CurlTalk App

Thank you for the reply. :)
    That's very reassuring. I seen on youtube Taren said if you want definition and lots of volume, to buy a huge diffuser cup. Is that right?

• StellarCurlsStellarCurls Registered Users Posts: 159 Curl Connoisseur
    I get pretty good root volume. I don't know that it necessarily helps with definition, but it doesn't seem to hurt as long as I only dry it a little (still damp to the touch but doesn't get my shirt wet).
    APL 3A
    Medium porosity, medium density, medium thickness
    Current routine: Daily co-washing with Giovanni conditioner (whatever is on sale), styling with Catwalk Curls Rock Curl Amplifier, and 1-2x per week cleansing with a Chagrin Valley shampoo bar followed by an ACV rinse
    Hmm, idk anymore. Because i naturally get a lot of volume and root volume and if i get too much more, i may look crazy lol

Well I got one anyways! I got a huge one, lol. But I'm gonna try it out, and post pics of without the diffuser and then with. :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file