PEG and PPG...hmmmm

angelita23angelita23 Registered Users Posts: 25
I have read that these two mean that the silicone that follows it is water soluble, and thus, CG friendly.

I am a 2b wavy and I have avoided these ingredients thus far, but I am wondering, do any of you use styling products with them in it? I got a couple of products the other day at Sally's that have them in it, and I would like to try them out, while still maintaining my CG routine.

I should add that I use a low-poo with just a minute dab of sulfate shampoo in it on a daily basis.

What do you think? Are there any cons to using these 'cones? hehe

Comments

• Corrina777Corrina777 Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Curl Connoisseur
    It's personal preference. They are CG-friendly.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a/f/iii
    Modified CG since 11/5/11
    CLEANSE: CJ Daily Fix, DevaCare No-Poo, CHS Treatment Shampoo
    RO: SS Caitlin's Conditioner, CJ Beauticurls Strengthening
    LI: SS Repairing Protein Treatment, CHS Silk Leave-In
    STYLE: Re:Coil, Curl Keeper, Deva Ultra Defining Gel, Curls Rock Amplifier,Sweet Curls Elixirs Okra Gel and Hard Hold Gel, SS Curl Enhancing Jelly and Firm Hold Gel
  • angelita23angelita23 Registered Users Posts: 25
    Oh ok. I see that you do a modified routine. Are they included in your modified routine? :) Your hair is gorgeous, btw!
    angelita23 wrote: »
    Oh ok. I see that you do a modified routine. Are they included in your modified routine? :) Your hair is gorgeous, btw!

First, thank you so much!

The definition of modified-CG definitely varies from person to person. There are some people who take CG to mean absolutely no sulfates and silicones. I personally would consider water soluble cones to still be fully CG, just as I consider low-poo to be CG (it doesn't help that the definition changed from the 1st edition of Curly Girl to the 2nd edition- probably due to changes in product availability).

That being said, I used water soluble cones back when I did follow a fully CG routine. I consider myself modified CG because I do use a gentle sulfate shampoo once every week or two (I found it to be more gentle than the vast majority of low-poos I've tried). I also will use non-water soluble silicones on occasion (normally pretty rarely, but it will vary based on circumstances- for example, I'm using cones much more than normal right now because I'm trying to use up some products to de-clutter my bathroom and make room for new stuff). In general, I follow CG probably 85% of the time. I've found that understanding the different ingredients has helped me to understand how and when I can break the "rules" without it negatively impacting my hair. But I do recommend that everyone at least try full CG for a little while before modifying, just to get an idea of what it can and can't do for your hair.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a/f/iii
    STYLE: Re:Coil, Curl Keeper, Deva Ultra Defining Gel, Curls Rock Amplifier,Sweet Curls Elixirs Okra Gel and Hard Hold Gel, SS Curl Enhancing Jelly and Firm Hold Gel
  • angelita23angelita23 Registered Users Posts: 25
    I see! Well, one of the product with cones that I bought SUCKED, so I won't be worrying about that one lol There is a hypoallergenic and scent/dye free gel that I bought that I love; I'll have to post the name later. It really was great...and no cones! I have one more 'cone product to try, so we'll see how that goes.

There is a ton to learn, but I'm encouraged by this recent development :) My hair is shoulder-length, and I think that my curls/waves will continue to develop as it gets longer (as has been the case in the past), so I'm striving to grow it out!

Do you use any curl cremes? The one that I didn't like was a curl cream. It let my hair be frizzy and didn't define at all. And my hair doesn't feel soft at all this morning.
    There is a ton of info to absorb on this site. There's also a FB community (link is in a thread called something like "Hey wavies, have you seen this?"). But even with all of the info a lot still comes down to trial and error. One thing that can help is identifying your hair properties (texture, porosity, etc) and finding a hair twin- someone who shares your hair properties (hair twins don't need to share a curl pattern- my hair twin has 2b waves but our hair responds to products almost identically). There's a thread called "Share your Hair Biography" in the 2s forum that can help you find a hair twin.

I do use curl creams most days (although part of my regular use is because I'm trying to use up products). My typical routine is cleanse (co-wash, cleansing conditioner or gentle sulfate), RO, LI, mineral oil (to seal- this is a controversial ingredient around here), curl cream, gel. Scrunch with microfiber towel, plop 5-10 minutes while I get dressed, add a little more gel to the ends and air dry (I only diffuse if I'm going out somewhere and don't have time for air drying or if I'm looking for extra volume). I've had consistently good results with AG Re:Coil (CG) and TIGI Curls Rock Amplifier (technically not CG, but I consider it pretty much CG because the cones that are in it are supposed to evaporate off of the hair during the drying process- therefore no buildup). Those are definitely both HG products for me. I've been rotating in Deva Styling Cream (CG), but haven't really been able to get it to work for me. I've been playing around with MorrocanOil Curl Defining Cream (not CG- dimethicone) with consistently good results so far. Curly Sexy Hair Full-On Curls (not CG- dimethicone) worked well, but was very similar to Amplifier so I would rather use the sort of almost CG product rather than the nowhere near CG product.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a/f/iii

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file