Confused about 4A and 4C curl types

sakiohmasakiohma Posts: 104Registered Users
So many people on this website say that 4C hair never has a defined curl and that 4A hair has very tiny coils the size of a pen spring. However, I've heard a few people say that it is 4C coils that are as tight as a pen spring and they base it off of the hair typing chart on Google. I would upload the chart here, but I'm on my phone so I'm not sure how to do that. I'm sure some of you know which chart I'm talking about. It's very popular. I just know it's a gold/bronze square chart encased in purple lining.

It's confusing because I thought my hair was 4A because I have tight coils, but could I be a 4C instead? So which is true? Is the chart wrong or is NC.com wrong?... Or am I wrong? O_o Help please. I know I shouldn't think too hard about hair typing, but this has just been on my mind lately and I can't stop thinking about it when I look at my hair.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using CurlTalk App
TYPE 4 FINE/COARSE LOW POROSITY HIGH DENSITY
TRANSITIONED: Since Dec 23, 2010 (I think...)
BC DATE: July 23, 2013 (about 31 months)
7/23/13 :: SL
1/9/14 :: CBL
5/13/14 :: APL

I :love1:Shea Moisture, Nubian Heritage, Camille Rose!

Comments

• CerendipityCerendipity Posts: 5,091Registered Users Curl Novice
    The Andre Walker Hair typing system doesnt encompass all hair types. Going by what Andre Walker put in his hair chart there is no 3c/4c.

There have been other hair typing systems that other have come up with other hair definitions. If you fall in between any of those hair types then you can call your hair whatever you choose to or think it aligns with.

I happen to fall in the Type 4 range and just say 4
  • Jo SomebodyJo Somebody Posts: 1,578Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I think you mean this one:
    www.shutterstock.com_62656594.jpg

Like Shawny said, 3C and 4C didn't initially exist. 3C came about because some people felt their hair had curls smaller than 3B, but not as small as 4A, so 3C was the inbetween.
    Same with 4A; people thought their curls were smaller than what's described as 4A, but they definitely had curls so couldn't be the original 4B, so 4C was created. However, because each step is meant to be smaller curls than the previous and larger than the next (e.g. 3A > 3B > 3C >4A etc), having 'tiny curls' 4C after 'no curls' 4B didn't make sense so people/websites swap the definitions around for convenience.

My excessive detangling/combing when I first chopped made me think I had no curls so I called myself 4C. Then I read the original Walker descriptions and called myself 4B. Then I found my curls and they are tiny so I called myself 4C again. Then I joined nc.com and because of the layout called myself 4B and by now I had figured my hair was a mixture so it soon became type 4. Of course there's also the LOIS system and the Mizani curl key and the fact that changing up my hair type has made no difference to my life that has made me uninterested in being accurate about what I claim to 'be'. Maybe I'll put 3B in my sig next week and see if anyone says anything...
    My hair is in the 4s, low in porosity, high in density and coarse. :happy6:

Love: QB - all of it, Bobeam - shampoo bars, Darcy's Botanicals - Pumpkin Seed Conditioner, Coconut Cupuacu Pomade, KBN - Shealoe Leave-in, Oyin - Juices & Berries, Kinky Curly - Knot Today, Ayurvedic treatments, my Denman and the cloud of kinky goodness on my head that I get to play with! :love8:
  • sakiohmasakiohma Posts: 104Registered Users
    Yes! That's the chart I meant. Thank you both. That makes so much more sense. In a way, I feel that the chart gets lazy when it gets to the 4's. It all makes perfect sense (the bigger curls to smaller curls pattern) until it gets it 4A-4C. I think I'll just start calling myself "type 4" too. I'm sure I have a mixture of them all.
    TYPE 4 FINE/COARSE LOW POROSITY HIGH DENSITY
    TRANSITIONED: Since Dec 23, 2010 (I think...)
    BC DATE: July 23, 2013 (about 31 months)
    7/23/13 :: SL
    1/9/14 :: CBL
    5/13/14 :: APL

I :love1:Shea Moisture, Nubian Heritage, Camille Rose!
  • artemisartemis Posts: 86Registered Users
    I think you mean this one:
    www.shutterstock.com_62656594.jpg

i saw that chart somewhere and thought they have the 4b and 4c mixed up. it's 4c that doesn't have a coil pattern, not 4b.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file