will wearing my hair straight on occasion ruin my waves?

greytmommygreytmommy Registered Users Posts: 125 Curl Neophyte
Just wondering if I straighten my hair on occasion, will it horribly ruin my wave pattern?

Is this something I can do occasionally w/o ruining my hair and the wave/curl progress I have made?
CG since 6/2012

Hair type: 2a/2b, normal/high porosity, fine, normal density
Lo: Organix Coconut water shampoo
Co: Suave Naturals, V05 kiwi lime
RO: Loreal Total Care
LI: KCKT, V05
Style: AIA Curling Jelly, KCCC, Noodle head curling mouse, LALSG, AG Re:Coil
Methods: icequeen, scrunch n pump, smathers, diffusing

Currently dealing with learning how to style shorter wavy hair...

Comments

• SweetSquatchiiSweetSquatchii Registered Users Posts: 138
    I've been wondering this too. I'd like to try ONCE in a blue moon but not if it will hurt.
    2C, Medium/Fine, Low Porosity, High Density - CG since 5.19.12
    Cowash: Burt's Bee's More Moisture Boabab
    Conditioner/LI: Nature's Gate Tea Tree Conditioner - I don't RO
    Styling Products: KCCC, KY, Deva Arc AnGel, HESMU
  • JennifermcbrideJennifermcbride Registered Users Posts: 4
    I have read that doing a blow out or using a straightening iron will interrupt your curl pattern. However, several curly friends have done both occasionally w/o issue. It probably depends on the strength of your curls.
    Swavy hair
    Fine, low density, normal elasticity and porosity.
  • Corrina777Corrina777 Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Curl Connoisseur
    I've seen a few of the ladies in the Facebook Wavy Hair Community do occasional straightening without issues. Frequent straightening can cause issues (primarily because of heat damage). You might want to consider using a silicone heat protectant, only because I have yet to read of anyone finding a CG alternative that protects hair as well from heat.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a/f/iii
    Modified CG since 11/5/11
    CLEANSE: CJ Daily Fix, DevaCare No-Poo, CHS Treatment Shampoo
    RO: SS Caitlin's Conditioner, CJ Beauticurls Strengthening
    LI: SS Repairing Protein Treatment, CHS Silk Leave-In
    STYLE: Re:Coil, Curl Keeper, Deva Ultra Defining Gel, Curls Rock Amplifier,Sweet Curls Elixirs Okra Gel and Hard Hold Gel, SS Curl Enhancing Jelly and Firm Hold Gel
  • StellarCurlsStellarCurls Registered Users Posts: 159 Curl Connoisseur
    The temperature you style at matters as well. Try to use a medium setting instead of high.
    APL 3A
    Medium porosity, medium density, medium thickness
    Current routine: Daily co-washing with Giovanni conditioner (whatever is on sale), styling with Catwalk Curls Rock Curl Amplifier, and 1-2x per week cleansing with a Chagrin Valley shampoo bar followed by an ACV rinse
  • rymorg2rymorg2 Registered Users Posts: 2,571
    I'm a wurly stylist.

I'm modified, with the occasional sulfate as well as occasional cones. I do straighten very infrequently. I very rarely will flat iron (on lower temps and definitely with cones to protect) but sometimes I'll round brush. I get less disruption of my wurls with a round brush than a flat iron which makes sense because a flat iron flattens your hair out...literally. I wouldn't say that it ruins my wurls or totally disrupts them at all, but I'm not willing to take that chance so it's infrequent. I get MORE disruption from coloring than I ever get from round brushing. So no more highlights for me.

Look at it this way....if you were doing it daily or weekly before, and have cut back, the infrequent once in awhile won't be as disruptive.
    Cosmetology Educator with sensitivities, eczema and Seborrheic Dermatitis.
    Low poo: looking
    COWash: Eden, cheapo condish, CJDF
    RO: varies
    Protein: CJCF or CJRM
    DT: CJHBDF, CJCR, DBPC
    LI: varies, usually KCKT
    Stylers: KCCC, CRNCM, UFDCM, Curls gel, ecostyler

Lady Karaan, High Priestess of Hayr Tretements in the Order of Curly Crusaders
    Fotki updated 10/12/10 Password: wavy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Libra_MoonLibra_Moon Registered Users Posts: 255
    I only straighten about once or twice a year. I used to straighten every day, I now deal with sections of my hair that will not wave when scrunched.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Growing out Pixie since 5-10-2008 with some trims and anxiety chops along the way...
    hair details: BSL(c)/MBL(s) - 2b/2c (MPD if truth be told) - f/m, iii, porosity med-low.
    Please feel free to follow my FB blog page as I go through Cosmetology school abd beyond
    what else do you need/want to know? Blame all spelling mistakes on me, my fat fingers or autocorrect.
    oh yeah, and I'm newly gluten free...thanks to celiac
  • HairObsessedHairObsessed Registered Users Posts: 138 Curl Connoisseur
    I straighten my weak waves every once in a while with a round brush or a flat iron. Maybe once every 2 months. It really hasn't affected my waves at all.

One of my heat protectants only has a water soluble silicone in it (as far as 'cones go), though I'm not sure what brand it is, and it works well.
    Wave Pattern: 2A
    Hair Properties: Normal/Low Porosity, Medium Density, Medium Texture w/Fine Straight Underlayer
    Co-wash: Suave Naturals, Cure Care
    Low-poo: Renpure Brazilian Keratin
    Rinse Out & Leave In: Tresemme Naturals
    Gel: LA Looks Mega Mega Hold Gel, Garnier Fructis Spray Gel
  • wxgirlcurlwxgirlcurl Registered Users Posts: 125
    I flat iron my hair maybe once or twice a month depending on my mood and I haven't noticed any damage... actually I have found my wave/curl pattern to be improving over time but that is likely because of my modified CG method and a decent cut. Everyone's hair has different tolerances so you may want to proceed with caution. The only thing that has ruined my hair has been colouring and highlighting.

To straighten my hair I condition wash and use leave in then make sure to thoroughly spray my hair with heat protectant (tresumme naturals heat tamer spray) and let my hair air dry to its natural state. Then I just section out pieces and flat iron them (usually takes 30min). I try to only use one heat source. Eg I'll pick either the blow dryer or the flat iron to do the straightening not both. BTW the Tresumme naturals heat tamer spray has a cone in it but I have no trouble with it while being on a Modified CG routine (condition only but sulfate once a month).
    Curl type: 2c/3a F/M ii (2b F underneath - 3a M on top), normal elasticity, low porosity,
    Modified CG since July 2011,
    Conditioners: Tresumme Naturals for RO and L'Oreal Eversleek for LI
    Styler: Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curl Enhancing Smoothie
    Mousse: HETMS, HESMU or Pantene Curl defining mousse
    Oils: 50/50 Coconut Oil and EVOO (amazing combo!!)
    My Hair Album - Naturally Curly and Straightened
  • CurlyJuliaCurlyJulia Registered Users Posts: 38
    I find that even doing a PT/DT without scrunching my hair causes the 2c waves (in the front and sides) to straighten out. I can't imagine what I'd have to do to get my curlz back if I was to round brush it - and I've never flat ironed it (though the stylist I went to before CG used to do some of that).

So I would say, yes, it's possible to mess up your hair with that. However, my hair is medium, high porosity (I think, given the color damage). YMMV and all that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dye free since 8/2/12
    CG since 6/29/12
    Type: 2c/3a, medium, thick
    Cowash: Suave TC Conditioner
    Poo: SM Coconut-Hibiscus Shampoo
    Curl Enhancment: CJCCCC!!,
    Gels: HETT, BRHG, EcoStyler
    Mousse: Deva Frizz-free Volumizing Foam
    PT: IA Girl's Gelatin PT

Experimenting with VO5 Kiwi-Lime for Condish styling, as well as looking for an affordable substitute for Deva FFVF.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file