Hair is getting a build-up

I just started the curly girl method and I've been using all devacurl products on my hair. I noticed that I am getting a build-up and gunky feeling on my roots and crown area. For shampoo I've just been using the no poo. I was wondering what I could do to get rid of the build-up? Thanks! :mrgreen:

Comments

• kathymackkathymack Registered Users Posts: 9,999 Curl Neophyte
    Around here Deva is a love/hate line. Many of us start out with it, think we like it and then move on to other things. The NoPoo has Cocamidopropyl Betaine pretty far down it's a gentle sulfactant, so should remove build up. After reviewing the ingredients, I saw Polyquaternium-7 fairly high up. I stay away from polyquats because they cause build up for me. I recently used a cleansing cream that had it and had issues. Had to get rid of the cleanser.

Other lowpoos or possibly a product like CJ Daily Fix should get rid of it. When I've had polyquat build up (I have issues with gels that have chemicals and polyquats), that's what I do.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Corrina777Corrina777 Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Curl Connoisseur
    Another thing to consider is your technique. When we use regular sulfate shampoo technique isn't a big deal because it's a strong cleanser, but with more gentle cleansers technique becomes much more important. When I co-wash (or use No-Poo), I use a generous amount and I spend a good 2 or 3 minutes massaging my scalp really well. I also continue massaging my scalp as I rinse. This made a HUGE difference for me and eliminated the gunky feeling I used to get when I tried co-washing.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a/f/iii
    Modified CG since 11/5/11
    CLEANSE: CJ Daily Fix, DevaCare No-Poo, CHS Treatment Shampoo
    RO: SS Caitlin's Conditioner, CJ Beauticurls Strengthening
    LI: SS Repairing Protein Treatment, CHS Silk Leave-In
    STYLE: Re:Coil, Curl Keeper, Deva Ultra Defining Gel, Curls Rock Amplifier,Sweet Curls Elixirs Okra Gel and Hard Hold Gel, SS Curl Enhancing Jelly and Firm Hold Gel
  • JoJoFreeJoJoFree Registered Users Posts: 110
    My recommendation is to use a sulfate free shampoo every week or 2. Shampoo bars are great. You probably need an ACV rinse afterward at this point. Follow with a deep conditioner and you should be ok.
  • kathymackkathymack Registered Users Posts: 9,999 Curl Neophyte
    JoJoFree wrote: »
    My recommendation is to use a sulfate free shampoo every week or 2. Shampoo bars are great. You probably need an ACV rinse afterward at this point. Follow with a deep conditioner and you should be ok.

I actually use natural soap bars as my hair cleanser most of the time. They will remove residual ingredients from the richer products that I use, but they won't remove polyquat, or other chemical, buildup, it that's your issue.

It takes hair a few uses to acclimate to using the bars. It gets an "odd" waxy feeling. That goes away as soon as you use your rinse out. (I only use a rinse out, no DTs necessary for me ever.)
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • JoJoFreeJoJoFree Registered Users Posts: 110
    kathymack wrote: »
    JoJoFree wrote: »

I actually use natural soap bars as my hair cleanser most of the time. They will remove residual ingredients from the richer products that I use, but they won't remove polyquat, or other chemical, buildup, it that's your issue.

It takes hair a few uses to acclimate to using the bars. It gets an "odd" waxy feeling. That goes away as soon as you use your rinse out. (I only use a rinse out, no DTs necessary for me ever.)

The waxy feeling goes away for me when I do an acv rinse afterwards. However, I do not have waxy feeling with Henna Sooq or Anita Grant shampoo bars.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file