accepting waves vs. forcing out curls

JoslynJoslyn Registered Users Posts: 12
Hi all, I'm new here. My hair borders between wavy and curly.

I've also been researching the whole porosity thing, but there's still much to learn. I know I have fine hair, and I'm pretty sure it's high porosity, but that's a post for a whole other board.

I've been doing CG for several years now, and have gotten Deva cuts, but I still have issues with frizzy, flyaway waves and "stringlets." Also, I am getting older now (45) and my hair is more fragile and thin than before. I used to have fine strands but a lot of them, giving me hair that was thick overall. Now I feel like my hair is fine and a bit thin as well. Yet I still have hairy arms, ack, no fair!

Lately I've been having a change of philosophy about my hair. Rather than focusing so much on clumping, maybe I should just have the healthiest waves I can get and stop trying to coax more curl. I can get spirals and clumps, but my hair is so fine, I almost think that sometimes it looks thicker not clumped.

Does that make sense? What I mean is, when it clumps, it makes my hair look thinner, because on the middle and ends, I can see empty space showing through in between the clumps.

Is anyone else here in that position: Technically capable of going over to the curly side of the spectrum, with enough time and effort, but more interested in embracing healthy waves? I think my goal is healthier, thicker-looking hair overall, not necessarily the curliest hair I can get.

Ooops, time got away from me, have to run to church. Thanks! Will research this board when I get back.

Comments

• whirlyhairwhirlyhair Registered Users Posts: 194
    Joslyn wrote: »
    Hi all, I'm new here. My hair borders between wavy and curly.

I've also been researching the whole porosity thing, but there's still much to learn. I know I have fine hair, and I'm pretty sure it's high porosity, but that's a post for a whole other board.

I've been doing CG for several years now, and have gotten Deva cuts, but I still have issues with frizzy, flyaway waves and "stringlets." Also, I am getting older now (45) and my hair is more fragile and thin than before. I used to have fine strands but a lot of them, giving me hair that was thick overall. Now I feel like my hair is fine and a bit thin as well. Yet I still have hairy arms, ack, no fair!

Lately I've been having a change of philosophy about my hair. Rather than focusing so much on clumping, maybe I should just have the healthiest waves I can get and stop trying to coax more curl. I can get spirals and clumps, but my hair is so fine, I almost think that sometimes it looks thicker not clumped.

Does that make sense? What I mean is, when it clumps, it makes my hair look thinner, because on the middle and ends, I can see empty space showing through in between the clumps.

Is anyone else here in that position: Technically capable of going over to the curly side of the spectrum, with enough time and effort, but more interested in embracing healthy waves? I think my goal is healthier, thicker-looking hair overall, not necessarily the curliest hair I can get.

Ooops, time got away from me, have to run to church. Thanks! Will research this board when I get back.

The first thing a curly girl has to do to start her journey in accepting her natural hair is to find out what her hair is all about. What her hair texture is, the porosity, elasticity, density, and finally her curl type. Next, she must make it as healthy as she can, that means no more harsh shampoos, hot hair dryers or irons, no more combing/brushing it when it's dry, etc.

As it gets healthier, the waves, curls, and coils starts to show up and become tighter and tighter. If it gets to it's curliest and tightest but you still want it to go curlier, we have a bunch of threads about curl enhancement. Check them out!

Hope this helps.
    CG since 3/11/2012

Engaged. :love5: Wedding date: 02/26/2016

Type 2C (Botticelli according to Curly Girl: The Handbook)
    iii Density
    Medium-Coarse Texture
    Normal Porosity
    Normal Elasticity
    HATES: Traditional sulfates/cones.
    LOVES: Lots of moisture and homemade FSG! :love10:
    (Many thanks to http://www.livecurlylivefree.com/ for helping me figure out my texture, porosity, and elasticity properties! Check them out sometime!)
  • JennifermcbrideJennifermcbride Registered Users Posts: 4
    Joslyn, I totally understand you! I'm 47 with fine thin hair. I have tried clumping but I just do not have enough hair! Also, using too much gel makes my hair look really stringy. I haven't found the happy medium yet:-/ I get a lot of curl definition with gel but when I SOTC, it still looks wet and I'm not a fan of that look on ME. On others I think it's nice look:)
    Jennifer
    Swavy hair
    Fine, low density, normal elasticity and porosity.
  • barcemadisbarcemadis Registered Users Posts: 25
    I don't focus on clumping either. I don't mind having less curly hair if I get bigger volume! Plus, now that I've been CG for serial months, my hair is in such good shape that OCing is too easy, and clumps with OCed hair almost pull out even my wave.

2b/c mix, fine strands, low porosity, medium density, and normal elasticity.

Love Curl Junkie! CJ Gentle Cleansing Shampoo, CJ Curl Queen gel, and CJ Curl Fix are HGs for me.
  • JoslynJoslyn Registered Users Posts: 12
    Whirly, Thanks for the encouragement...and the reminder tips. I'm good about drying naturally and avoiding sulfates and cones, but I occasionally brush my hair on second-hair days before putting it in a ponytail holder if I'm in a rush. Bad habit!

Jennifer, yes it's hard to get that gel balance. Last time I got a deva cut, she experimented with a mousse. It worked well the way she did it and I never got around to buying some. I feel guilty about the expensive products I already have.

Barcemadis,your hair in the pic looks great, whatever you're doing is working.

After doing research, I suspect the incredibly hard water where I live is a big part of my problems. You should see the film of calcium that shows up on our drain board after just a couple days. I'm thinking of getting a shower head that blocks some of the hard water deposits. I wonder if those really work or not? Will do more research. If I try it, I'll report on the results.

In general, I think my overall problem has been not spending enough time on my hair. I work from home so it's not like I can blame a long commute. It's just that sometimes, I don't want to stand upside down in my shower dripping conditioner and water from my hair, I just want to hop out and use a regular terry cloth towel like a normal person! But my hair needs more delicate care and I need to treat it that way. It all goes back to the acceptance Whirly talked about.

Thanks wavies!
  • WavesnWheelsWavesnWheels Registered Users Posts: 64
    I've noticed the same thing. My hair can be pumped up to almost 2c if I work really hard, but it seems to look it's best with just light products and soft waves that may only be 2a by the end of the day. I think too much clumping can actually look a little artificial on my waves.
    2B, normal porosity, elasticity, thickness, texture, moisture loving, protein leery...
    Favorites:
    CO: Whole Foods Lavender Conditioner
    LO: Dessert Essence Coconut, Pure and Basic Clarifying Shampoo
    RO: SSDDMT
    DT: JCDCT, SSDDMT
    Style: AOMM, CCCL, KMFUM, KCTT

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file