CurlTalk

do i have nappy hair? what is nappy hair?

ORIGINAL QUESTION::Well I am mixed and my hair is naturally curly. When I straighten my hair it does not look Afro textured. People tell me that my hair looks Indian when straightened. However, my black friends keep telling me that I have nappy hair. I thought that nappy hair was curly hair that when straightened still looks African. I'm very confused. By the way, I hate the word nappy. I find it really offensive. Also, I'm not racist. I would just like some clarity. And if anyone knows another word for nappy- please let me know. Thank you :)

EDITED QUESTION: Guys what is nappy? What hair types are considered it? And can anyone have "nappy" hair??
«1

Comments

  • CurlyCutie1394CurlyCutie1394 Posts: 348Registered Users
    Curly hair is not nappy your friends are stuck in a terrible mindset like most mainstream black women. They've been taught like most of us have that if your hair isn't straight it's not presentable, if you want to be seen as beautiful you have to have straight hair. I'm sorry that your friends called your hair nappy. I have curly hair and people have called it nappy but I know it's because of a mentality that needs to be put to rest. You wear your hair how you want if they dnt like it it's their own problem
  • adthomasadthomas Posts: 5,525Registered Users
    Well I am mixed and my hair is naturally curly. When I straighten my hair it does not look Afro textured. People tell me that my hair looks Indian when straightened. However, my black friends keep telling me that I have nappy hair. I thought that nappy hair was curly hair that when straightened still looks African. I'm very confused. By the way, I hate the word nappy. I find it really offensive. Also, I'm not racist. I would just like some clarity. And if anyone knows another word for nappy- please let me know. Thank you :)

    Pictures by bohemina_star - Photobucket
    My hair straightened link

    Is this for real???? You are offended and hate a word you don't understand?? And why are you telling us you are not a racist?

    Among all the NC posts I have ever seen this is near the top of the most bizarre and I'm seriously wondering if this is a bad joke. In this Internet and google age I find it hard to believe someone thinks "nappy" has anything to do with how someone's hair looks when straight.

    Anyway, if you look in the dictionary you will see nappy is generally used to mean tightly curled hair. But the word is subjective and is also an insult for unkempt or tangled hair. Black people don't have exclusive rights to the word. I have often heard white people refer to their hair as nappy if it has any curl or kink to it or they have trouble combing it.
    Yes, it's real. No, you can't touch it. :wav:
  • AnnieRoseAnnieRose Posts: 87Registered Users
    Honey, my hair looked like that too straightened and I would still consider my natural texture kinky (I don't like to use nappy but I get what you mean).
    Why is it so important to you if you're hair is nappy or not? If you want to know more you have to post your natural texture. Your straight hair tells us nothing.
  • WumiWumi Posts: 185Registered Users
    Can we stop the posts starting with "I'm mixed... but/and-" *I'm sorry for the all caps, but I think it is necessary when I ask, WHY DO PEOPLE THINK BEING MIXED MATTERS SO MUCH WHEN IT COMES TO HAIR?*

    There is very much variation within all races when it comes to hair, just like skin color and facial/body features. Plenty of "mixed" children come out with kinky, brillo-pad textured hair, just as you can't determine what other traits they will have.

    Lastly, if nappy means "straightened hair that still looks African," and you are offended by the word, but yet you claim you don't know what it means, I'm going to go out on a limb and say you have a problem with your hair reflecting any "African-ness." You weren't offended by your hair being called Indian, and you didn't ask for another term for that, which isn't helping your "I'm not racist" case.

    My answer: Yes, if your black friends are telling you that you have nappy hair, you probably have nappy hair. And real talk- if you straighten your hair and you're worried people can still tell you are "African," maybe it's not your hair that's the real problem.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

    No heat since August 2015 :)
  • prentonneprentonne Posts: 163Registered Users
    Wumi wrote: »

    My answer: Yes, if your black friends are telling you that you have nappy hair, you probably have nappy hair. And real talk- if you straighten your hair and you're worried people can still tell you are "African," maybe it's not your hair that's the real problem.

    PREACH!


    Sent from my GT-P1000N using CurlTalk App
  • KilajoKilajo Posts: 786Registered Users
    You're mixed?

    Sent from my PC36100 using CurlTalk App
  • jmartinezjmartinez Posts: 126Registered Users
    Hair isnt classified by race, its seprated into groups by texture. So theres no such thing as african hair. Its kinky, curly, straight, etc. Theres no such thing as indian hair either, unless your buying a weave. People can look at your hair and say whatever, but you actually live with it, so in my opinion, they dont know crap when it comes to your hair.

    Sent from my PC36100 using CurlTalk App
  • jmartinezjmartinez Posts: 126Registered Users
    Did you also know that being mixed being mixed means you have two cultures so to say "my black friends" like they come from space would be wierd. Are you have black? That would make you black and ........ Insert other race.

    Sent from my PC36100 using CurlTalk App
  • bohemian_starbohemian_star Banned Posts: 14Banned Users
    woah! I'm getting lots of feedback. Well I just started transitioning and I come from a Hispanic country so I usually say I'm Hispanic. Ever since I came to the states, it's very different from my country. I don't mean to upset anyone here. At adthomas i hate the word because I thought it was bad since the Black girls here don't like it when it comes to them but they can say it to anyone else. Well here is one person that supports what I thought nappy meant What is nappy hair????? - Yahoo! Answers
    I said I was not racist because where I live most Black girls do not like it when people, especially of a different race call their hair nappy. I know some people find that word offensive. I don't know why you got so upset. It's because of people like you that students don't wanna ask questions in class because people like you will say that it's a dumb question. There's no such thing as a dumb question.
    At AnnieRose there is nothing wrong with nappy hair. If anything, I just don't like the word because of where I live. I love my natural hair but just like some people are confused over if they have 4a/4b hair, I was confused over what it meant.
    At Wumi there's nothing wrong with being black. I never said anything like that. If anything, you put those words in my mouth. I was asking for clarity on what it meant to have nappy hair. I even asked if there was a different word for it because I do not like it. Where I live, it's not a nice word. I didn't ask for another word for Indian because it's not an offensive word where I live. It is important that i state that I am mixed because we mixed people suffer from identity issues. We don't fit in with Blacks because of our skin color, and we don't fit in with Whites because of our hair. Blacks call me white and Whites call me Black. I'm Hispanic so it's easier for me but Hispanic is not a race. For anyone who has any doubts, I am proud to have both black and white cultures in me (as well as Spanish, Filipino, and French). I embrace my heritage and I love who I am. I get to be part of all these cultures and not a lot of people get to do that. Why would anyone want to deny something that God gave them? He gave me my hair and I am embracing it to the max. My hair is so versatile.

    I guess everyone has different meanings for the word. CurlyCutie thanks for your response. It gave me a lot of clarity, especially since straight hair is so important in my country! You guys go hard on someone who comes from a different background and has recently learned to love everything about me. Next time, I think I'll stick to asking my mom or my close friends. They know me and won't judge me off a post that I was confused about. This is a free country and you can think whatever you wanna think, but at the end of the day I know who I am and nobody can take that away from me. Thank you all for your input. :)
  • adthomasadthomas Posts: 5,525Registered Users
    Wumi wrote: »
    Can we stop the posts starting with "I'm mixed... but/and-" *I'm sorry for the all caps, but I think it is necessary when I ask, WHY DO PEOPLE THINK BEING MIXED MATTERS SO MUCH WHEN IT COMES TO HAIR?*

    There is very much variation within all races when it comes to hair, just like skin color and facial/body features. Plenty of "mixed" children come out with kinky, brillo-pad textured hair, just as you can't determine what other traits they will have.

    Lastly, if nappy means "straightened hair that still looks African," and you are offended by the word, but yet you claim you don't know what it means, I'm going to go out on a limb and say you have a problem with your hair reflecting any "African-ness." You weren't offended by your hair being called Indian, and you didn't ask for another term for that, which isn't helping your "I'm not racist" case.

    My answer: Yes, if your black friends are telling you that you have nappy hair, you probably have nappy hair. And real talk- if you straighten your hair and you're worried people can still tell you are "African," maybe it's not your hair that's the real problem.

    + 1 I definitely think this OP has a negative attitude toward looking "African". I mean why announce "I'm not racist" without anyone calling you racist unless you realize what you're saying sounds racist. And why would she hate the word nappy unless she realizes it is an insult?

    To the OP. You didn't say what you are mixed with but it is MORE THAN OBVIOUS somebody in your family tree is black because you look black. If I saw you walking down the street whether your hair was kinky or straight I would still think you were black. Not Bohemian. Sorry to break it to you but that flatiron isn't fooling your black friends or anyone else so you might as well accept your African-ness.
    Yes, it's real. No, you can't touch it. :wav:
  • bohemian_starbohemian_star Banned Posts: 14Banned Users
    adthomas: did you not read the last post I made? I'm proud to be everything and when people ask me if I'm Black, I tell them yes I am and I'm also Hispanic, White, Filipino, etc. I do not deny my roots. I love them. I will say this again- the reason why I said I'm not racist is because other Black women where I live do not like the word and consider it offensive!!!
    I have never seen such ignorance! You try being from different cultures, trying to fit in with all, and being treated like an alien from all. And even with that, i still love my hair and my roots. I will never deny something God gave me. It's so sad that people on here would think badly of me. By the way, I'm not Bohemian-- I'm Hispanic! Bohemian is for the way I dress (boho chic). Thank you but your ignorance is not needed or appreciated.
  • bohemian_starbohemian_star Banned Posts: 14Banned Users
    You know what guys, it doesn't matter what you say because I love me and God loves me. I don't understand why you guys would attack someone without even knowing them. i expected nice responses because my intentions were genuinely good and I never thought that people would think I was something I am not. I should have known better. maybe i should have reworded the question, but i didn't think it would be as bad as where it's at now. I'm done with this thread. many biracial and multiracial people go through problems like this just like me. we're used to it. people don't understand unless their in our shoes. this website helps me out a lot and maybe it will help you guys too understand what I go through. It's a bit humorous but it's still issues that sometimes hurt us because people don't understand. Mixed People Problems
    Mixed Girl Problems /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nytimes.com%2F2008%2F03%2F31%2Fus%2Fpolitics%2F31race.html%3Fpagewanted%3Dall" class="Popup
    You all can think whatever you'd like but just know that you judged me unjustly and didn't even give me a chance to explain myself without hammering me. i thought this was a nice website that would help me with my transitioning but i was wrong. I will continue to transition without letting it be known to the public. i will never let go of my dreams just because people are trying to put me down and shred me to pieces. with that said, i'm out.
    "Before you judge someone, walk a mile in their shoes"
  • adthomasadthomas Posts: 5,525Registered Users
    adthomas: did you not read the last post I made? I'm proud to be everything and when people ask me if I'm Black, I tell them yes I am and I'm also Hispanic, White, Filipino, etc. I do not deny my roots. I love them. I will say this again- the reason why I said I'm not racist is because other Black women where I live do not like the word and consider it offensive!!!
    I have never seen such ignorance! You try being from different cultures, trying to fit in with all, and being treated like an alien from all. And even with that, i still love my hair and my roots. I will never deny something God gave me. It's so sad that people on here would think badly of me. By the way, I'm not Bohemian-- I'm Hispanic! Bohemian is for the way I dress (boho chic). Thank you but your ignorance is not needed or appreciated.
    You just answered your own question. Nappy is typically an insult. If you want to talk about ignorance then let's talk. I was highly offended by your post and was very close to reporting you to the moderators as a troll. You wrote that knowing full well nappy is often used as an offensive term typically directed at black people. It is not so much that you asked the meaning of a word that is easily found in Webster's dictionary but all that extra stuff clearly had an anti African undertone to it. I'm not buying your whole victim act. I actually wonder if you wrote that because you knew it would tick people off. Everybody has struggles in life no matter what their background. I'm actually Choctaw and Irish and black but choose to identify as black but that choice is for each individual to make. I'm sorry you don't feel accepted. I actually could care less about your race and as someone said it doesn't mean much as far as hair. You made racr an issue from the jump by 1) telling us you're mixed 2) going into the whole black firiends and straight hair not looking afro textured story.
    When all you really had to say was "what does nappy mean? " And left it at that. If it became about race then you made it racial so I don't see why you are complaining about being persecuted.

    And yes, your hair looks like kinky hair that has been straightened. I would never call someone's hair nappy. this is a nice place but what you wrote was not nice. What really rubs me wrong with the "mixed" stuff (which is totally irrelevant to the nappy question) is everyone knows "mixed" people are shoved down black people's throats as having "good" hair or hair that is superior/more beautiful and to me that is exactly what you did. So don't insult people then wonder why they are being "mean" to you. I hope you have a great day.
    Yes, it's real. No, you can't touch it. :wav:
  • murrrcatmurrrcat Posts: 9,596Registered Users
    I beez mixed and I ain't have them problems.


    My white friend did have Mixed people problem #61 (finding jeans that fit incase no one knew), but she's only white...so I think the website wrong....


    and I kinda wanna meet the person who made this one and slap em

    tumblr_lymza2FzxO1ro9qino1_500.jpg

    tumblr_m954l3WZEN1r841iq.gif
    tumblr_mji9u1Fwza1rh1wv4o1_500.jpg
  • bohemian_starbohemian_star Banned Posts: 14Banned Users
    how did i answer my own question if i still don't truly understand what it is?why would i be a troll if i put a picture of the real me?and why would i want to insult Black people if I am Black as well? it doesn't make sense? and i'm not trying to make myself look like a victim. like i said mixed people go through things like this all the time. I'm supposed to know everything about Blacks because I'm Black and I'm supposed to know everything about White, Filipino because I'm all of those? I have been so absorbed with my Hispanic culture that I never got the time to know exactly what nappy was. In my country, African hair is "bad hair" and I have gone against everything and everyone by transitioning. Not even my family supports it. But I chose it because I WANT to embrace what God gave me.I don't care if I look more Black or more White or more ANYTHING- I will look like how God wants me to look-the way he designed me to look with my natural hair! I don't use Webster's dictionary because I thought asking other Black women,like me, would be more insightful instead of reading something that was probably written by someone not black. i mentioned race because my Black friends tell me my hair texture is the way it is because I am mixed. "your hair grows so long because you're mixed" "your hair is so pretty because you got everything in you" Everything I mentioned is because of what I have heard from my Black friends! I am not familiar with the Black community since I am Hispanic and my parents don't even speak English. It wasn't until I started transitioning that I started finding out all this information on Black hair, as well as what I have heard from my friends over the years. So I was asking a question. I don't understand what nappy hair is and does my race have anything to do with why my hair is different than someone else's? That's why I mentioned everything I did- because I didn't understand. You insulted me by putting words in my mouth and saying that I feel superior and that I need to accept my Blackness. It's obvious that I do. I've said it numerous times. All my life, all I've known is Hispanic customs. Now that I am embracing my Blackness, I'm getting hammered for it. I don't get it?? Just because I do not understand something, I need to get crapped on?
  • AnnieRoseAnnieRose Posts: 87Registered Users
    You know what guys, it doesn't matter what you say because I love me and God loves me. I don't understand why you guys would attack someone without even knowing them. i expected nice responses because my intentions were genuinely good and I never thought that people would think I was something I am not. I should have known better. maybe i should have reworded the question, but i didn't think it would be as bad as where it's at now. I'm done with this thread. many biracial and multiracial people go through problems like this just like me. we're used to it. people don't understand unless their in our shoes. this website helps me out a lot and maybe it will help you guys too understand what I go through. It's a bit humorous but it's still issues that sometimes hurt us because people don't understand. Mixed People Problems
    Mixed Girl Problems /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nytimes.com%2F2008%2F03%2F31%2Fus%2Fpolitics%2F31race.html%3Fpagewanted%3Dall" class="Popup
    You all can think whatever you'd like but just know that you judged me unjustly and didn't even give me a chance to explain myself without hammering me. i thought this was a nice website that would help me with my transitioning but i was wrong. I will continue to transition without letting it be known to the public. i will never let go of my dreams just because people are trying to put me down and shred me to pieces. with that said, i'm out.
    "Before you judge someone, walk a mile in their shoes"

    Seriously? You're gonna make this into a "mixed girl problem"?
    Okay, from one mixed girl to the other: stop it. This has nothing to do with you being mixed. Maybe you should re-read your first post. You're contradicting yourself by saying that you don't know what nappy means and at the same time knowing that it is offensive (also the line about Afro-textured hair shows that you do know that the term nappy is a racial slur for aforementioned hair type). That makes no sense.
    You are a grown person who can do her own research. We are on the internet - google it.
    I am not American either nor have I ever been to the states but I managed to find out about this topic without insulting anyone in the process. There are so many places where you could have looked it up. And for future purposes you should take that to heart.
    There is inherently nothing wrong with asking about something you don't understand but your post makes it very hard to sympathise. You don't want Afro-textured hair and we're supposed to tell you that it does NOT look nappy....come on now.

    You also do know that mixed people come in all shades and some of us do have kinky hair. I am not saying that being mixed doesn't have it's problems. But I'd argue that hair is one of the lesser ones. If it is even a problem to begin with.
    I was initially not going to harshly "attack" you for your question but this "mixed girl problem"-thing just angers me.
    I hope you realize that the harsh responses you got where more defensive than attacks on your person.
    Remember that most curlies on here had to fight mindsets like yours at some point.
  • bohemian_starbohemian_star Banned Posts: 14Banned Users
    murrrcat wrote: »
    I beez mixed and I ain't have them problems.


    My white friend did have Mixed people problem #61 (finding jeans that fit incase no one knew), but she's only white...so I think the website wrong....


    and I kinda wanna meet the person who made this one and slap em

    lol yea that one was funny. i did post one website that was really serious. it even talked about obama being mixed. you're really lucky that you don't have those problems. I was watching this TV special on mixed people and we have so many problems when it comes to identity. Maybe it's the area we live in because I know some areas are more accepting towards mixed people but where I live, I just can't fit in.
  • AnnieRoseAnnieRose Posts: 87Registered Users
  • bohemian_starbohemian_star Banned Posts: 14Banned Users
    AnnieRose I did google it and got different answers. I asked if there was another word for nappy, because I know it's offensive but I never really understood why.
    I'm not really familiar with the Black community and that's why I asked. Thanks for the website. It helps alot to understand why.
  • bohemian_starbohemian_star Banned Posts: 14Banned Users
    Now I know kinky is the same as nappy. I will use that word instead. I like the word kinky much better. I still have to do more research to fully understand it. Next thing, I write a post on kinky hair and people get offended again. Nappy hair is out of my dictionary-- FOREVER!
  • adthomasadthomas Posts: 5,525Registered Users
    how did i answer my own question if i still don't truly understand what it is?why would i be a troll if i put a picture of the real me?and why would i want to insult Black people if I am Black as well? it doesn't make sense? and i'm not trying to make myself look like a victim. like i said mixed people go through things like this all the time. I'm supposed to know everything about Blacks because I'm Black and I'm supposed to know everything about White, Filipino because I'm all of those? I have been so absorbed with my Hispanic culture that I never got the time to know exactly what nappy was. In my country, African hair is "bad hair" and I have gone against everything and everyone by transitioning. Not even my family supports it. But I chose it because I WANT to embrace what God gave me.I don't care if I look more Black or more White or more ANYTHING- I will look like how God wants me to look-the way he designed me to look with my natural hair! I don't use Webster's dictionary because I thought asking other Black women,like me, would be more insightful instead of reading something that was probably written by someone not black. i mentioned race because my Black friends tell me my hair texture is the way it is because I am mixed. "your hair grows so long because you're mixed" "your hair is so pretty because you got everything in you" Everything I mentioned is because of what I have heard from my Black friends! I am not familiar with the Black community since I am Hispanic and my parents don't even speak English. It wasn't until I started transitioning that I started finding out all this information on Black hair, as well as what I have heard from my friends over the years. So I was asking a question. I don't understand what nappy hair is and does my race have anything to do with why my hair is different than someone else's? That's why I mentioned everything I did- because I didn't understand. You insulted me by putting words in my mouth and saying that I feel superior and that I need to accept my Blackness. It's obvious that I do. I've said it numerous times. All my life, all I've known is Hispanic customs. Now that I am embracing my Blackness, I'm getting hammered for it. I don't get it?? Just because I do not understand something, I need to get crapped on?

    I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt that it was not your intention but like I said before what you wrote was offensive and you contradicted yourself. Like another poster said you should reread what you wrote the first time.

    Yes a lot of black people have the mind set of so called african hair being "bad hair" and "mixed hair" being "good hair". We here on naturally curly do not subscribe to that way of thinking so to make comments like that will tick people off. I responded to your question the first time saying technically "nappy" as far as hair means tightly curled. So even if you have nappy hair it is still nappy whether it is flat ironed or not. But mostly nappy is used as an insult to mean unkempt. I'm black and my hair is midback. Plenty of black people on here have long hair. Some could but choose to wear it short. Having White DNA is not a required to have long hair.
    Yes, it's real. No, you can't touch it. :wav:
  • bohemian_starbohemian_star Banned Posts: 14Banned Users
    adthomas wrote: »
    I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt that it was not your intention but like I said before what you wrote was offensive and you contradicted yourself. Like another poster said you should reread what you wrote the first time.

    Yes a lot of black people have the mind set of so called african hair being "bad hair" and "mixed hair" being "good hair". We here on naturally curly do not subscribe to that way of thinking so to make comments like that will tick people off. I responded to your question the first time saying technically "nappy" as far as hair means tightly curled. So even if you have nappy hair it is still nappy whether it is flat ironed or not. But mostly nappy is used as an insult to mean unkempt. I'm black and my hair is midback. Plenty of black people on here have long hair. Some could but choose to wear it short. Having White DNA is not a required to have long hair.

    I'm gonna use the word kinky now. I like it much better. Nappy is a risky word. I understand it a lot better and yes, I do have nappy hair. If nappy hair is kinky hair, then yes I do have it. And I love my hair. I know Black hair can grow long. I'm not used to seeing it though because most of my friends wear weaves, sow-ins. I think it damages their hair. I've never worn any of that before but I see they have bald patches. They say it's the glue. I'm guessing they glue the wig on their real hair? I just can't imagine. But yea, I think Black women should accept themselves for who they are and not give into what society thinks is good hair. If we all come together and show them that kinky is beautiful, then no one could tell us otherwise. We need to stick together. If I contradicted myself, I was just confused. I'm learning a lot about the black community. Rule #1 Never ever say the N word again- and I'm not talking about the original one. well that too
  • adthomasadthomas Posts: 5,525Registered Users
    Welcome to Naturally Curly, Bohemian Star. I'm so glad you're here!!! :)
    Yes, it's real. No, you can't touch it. :wav:
  • bohemian_starbohemian_star Banned Posts: 14Banned Users
    adthomas wrote: »
    Welcome to Naturally Curly, Bohemian Star. I'm so glad you're here!!! :)


    Thank you very much. I really appreciate it :)
  • murrrcatmurrrcat Posts: 9,596Registered Users
    murrrcat wrote: »
    I beez mixed and I ain't have them problems.


    My white friend did have Mixed people problem #61 (finding jeans that fit incase no one knew), but she's only white...so I think the website wrong....


    and I kinda wanna meet the person who made this one and slap em

    lol yea that one was funny. i did post one website that was really serious. it even talked about obama being mixed. you're really lucky that you don't have those problems. I was watching this TV special on mixed people and we have so many problems when it comes to identity. Maybe it's the area we live in because I know some areas are more accepting towards mixed people but where I live, I just can't fit in.

    I don't have problems when It comes to identity because I know who I am. I figured it out along the way, Just because my mom is white and my dad is black is not what makes me who I am it's just a tiny part. Mixed people come in all different shapes and sizes and hair textures, just like white people and black people.

    I think people have to realize that you can't just try and fit in everywhere, that is usually learned in grade school.

    and trust my area was NOT accepting of mixed people....or black people...or any body other than white people.
    tumblr_mji9u1Fwza1rh1wv4o1_500.jpg
  • bohemian_starbohemian_star Banned Posts: 14Banned Users
    Murrrcat:
    That's great! I was brought up with Hispanic customs and never had to deal with race until I started living in the states. My parents never really talked to me about being Black or White- just Hispanic. When we got here, I found I had to check boxes on which one I was or people would ask me what I was and I had to ask my parents about our roots. So yea, in my country no such thing as filling out race boxes or even discussing what we are. We are Hispanics and that's that. The US is very different.
  • KeenyliciousKeenylicious Posts: 2,320Registered Users
    Never thought is say this on here (especially in a thread like this), but... I think y'all are being a bit harsh.

    Actually I should say I think you're taking issue with the wrong thing here, but my issue is too much for me to type on a phone. Bbl.

    On my EVO... I'm too fancy to proofread.
    tumblr_lr2y4sUYNh1qb5gkjo1_250.gif
  • jmartinezjmartinez Posts: 126Registered Users
    Well i have lots a background too but since your hispanic i'll tell you what nappy really means. Like you said, es una palabra ofensiva q basicamente quiere decir pelo malo. Pelo q en lo q no se puede poner en ningun estilo, ni se ve bien para nada. Viendo tu foto, claro q no tienes el cabello nappy. Y las otras personas aqui no estan enojadas. Es q en los Ee.uu, se parace q todos quieren separarse de tener ni una gota de sangre africana. Es por eso q son un poquito sensitivas, pero para nada estan enojadas

    Sent from my PC36100 using CurlTalk App
  • jmartinezjmartinez Posts: 126Registered Users
    Jajajaja ok, creo q unas estaban enojadas pero te ves bien. Tu cabello se ve muy suave y se ve q tienes la mezcla perfecta de las razas. Yo tiengo problemas siendo aceptada aveces tambien pero ignoro las personas q no me aceptan y busco a personas q si me aceptan. Puede ser q te dicen nappy por q estan celosas. No se.

    Sent from my PC36100 using CurlTalk App
  • jmartinezjmartinez Posts: 126Registered Users
    O and nappy means bad hair basically , kinky is the correct term it means cottony. Kinky is not offensive at all because it describes the hair as cottony. Cotton is soft and fluffy. As with alot of hair that people of african descent have. But being of african decsent doesnt mean, whoevers balck will be born with cottony hair. Many full africans and african americans with no apparent mix have completely straight hair. If you dont know about the nappy thing its ok. Ive explained here bilingual. Keep posting on naturally curly as there are many friends here. Sorry if there may be a little edge with this post, but there have been alot of people who have trolled for compliments or put others down. And if you have any other questions about english slang, im here. I speak spanish and english so ill be happy to clarify anything. Some of the stuff the young kids are saying i dont know but i can still help. For ex, i had to look up yolo on google. Lol

    Sent from my PC36100 using CurlTalk App
«1