We’d like your help getting CurlTalk back on its feet!

By participating on CurlTalk — posting, commenting, liking — in the next few weeks, you will automatically be entered to win amazing prizes.

Our latest winner is Savagegirl!

CurlyCanadian, Bomega and EllaJ have also won wonderful prizes! Will you be next? Post, like, comment, GET ACTIVE and help us get CurlTalk ENERGIZED again!

Learn more!

polyquat 59

rbbrbb Posts: 4,210Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
anyone have any info on polyquat 59?

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
styling: curl junkie 
sealants - jane carter nourish & shine

Comments

• rbbrbb Posts: 4,210Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    the only thing i could find is that it possibly is a uv sunblock on hair.

nothing on build up, how to remove it......

• WavesnWheelsWavesnWheels Posts: 64Registered Users
    I'm new here and have been spending a lot of time reading all of the Curly Chemist's blog posts. She has an article on polyquats and mentioned that there are only a few that definitely do not build up: I believe they are 4, 10, 44 and 68. Apparently, there is not solubility and build-up information on each quat/polyquat, so it is assumed that most others do build up.

She also mentions in the article that sodium polystyrene sulfonate will remove quats/polyquats from hair. I picked up Pure & Basic Clarifying Shampoo, /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.vitacost.com%2Fpure-basic-clarifying-shampoo-citrus" class="Popup , which contains this ingredient and appears to be CG, but haven't tried it yet. Saturday is my once a month clarifying day, so we'll see how it goes, but in my hands, it feels really gentle.
    2B, normal porosity, elasticity, thickness, texture, moisture loving, protein leery...
    Favorites:
    CO: Whole Foods Lavender Conditioner
    LO: Dessert Essence Coconut, Pure and Basic Clarifying Shampoo
    RO: SSDDMT
    DT: JCDCT, SSDDMT
    Style: AOMM, CCCL, KMFUM, KCTT
  • kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'm new here and have been spending a lot of time reading all of the Curly Chemist's blog posts. She has an article on polyquats and mentioned that there are only a few that definitely do not build up: I believe they are 4, 10, 44 and 68. Apparently, there is not solubility and build-up information on each quat/polyquat, so it is assumed that most others do build up.

She also mentions in the article that sodium polystyrene sulfonate will remove quats/polyquats from hair. I picked up Pure & Basic Clarifying Shampoo, Pure & Basic Clarifying Shampoo Citrus -- 12 fl oz - Vitacost , which contains this ingredient and appears to be CG, but haven't tried it yet. Saturday is my once a month clarifying day, so we'll see how it goes, but in my hands, it feels really gentle.

Everyone's hair reacts differently, so you can't believe every thing you read, I always wondered why my frizz was worse with gel. I discovered that polyquats 4 and 10 did build up on me--frizz even when wet!
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Swirlycurly ChemistSwirlycurly Chemist Posts: 335Registered Users
    Kathymack, just because your hair didn't like them, didn't prove that they were accumulating on your hair surface. :flower: People swear cyclopentasiloxane builds up on their hair too, and it just isn't so. :shrug

RBB - I will write this month's article on PQ-59 for you (am in the process at the moment). I love your consistent curiosity, and you always come up with interesting topics to explore. Thank you for that!
    3A canopy with 3B underneath
    Low poo, not afraid of amine-based silicones or polyquats, silk proteins are good as well.
    thanks, tonya! i love your articles, have them bookmarked. and am thrilled to have my questions answered!!
    will be especially awaiting this next one, i am so curious about pq 59.

• Jas76Jas76 Posts: 2,283Registered Users
    Yeah, a lot of people think the cyclo-cone causes build-up, but that's not possible because it evaporates. But that evaporation can cause some people to frizz because it can cause dryness for some. I'm sure the same concept is true for polyquats - I guess if you know it causes you problems, it's not all that important how or why - just don't use them! ;)
    2c/3a/3b, Fine/med, Dense, high porous, & normal elas.

Lo-poo - Renpure Keratin, SMR, Giovanni SaS
    clarifying - mix Johnson's H2T with low poo
    Co-wash - Suave Nats. clar. or coco.
    RO - GVPCB, Ion Eff. Care, TN.
    LI - SMR, Cure Care, or RO
    Seal - MO or Jojoba
    DT - + honey, ACV, & EVOO to SM masque & GVPCB
    PT - Gelatin!, CNPF
    Styling - FSG, AIF, BRHG, LALS/PS, GF curl spray gel, SM Souffle/Smoothie, LOOB
    Oils - MO!, EVOO, jojoba, GSO, SM Elixer, EVCO, VO5 Hairdressing
    great article tonya!!

so that is why i hadn't heard of pq 59, it wasn't around before. the fact that it will help keep the sun from yellowing my white hair is good news!

i have two products with pq59 in them, hence my curiosity. carlos flores just came out with a product line, NYC Curls, and both the conditioner and gel have pq 59 in them.

• jsuzkelleyjsuzkelley Posts: 610Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Could somone post a link to the article? I'd like to read it :)
    2c/3a, botticelli/wavy/'swavy (huh?)
    fine, dense, normal porosity/elasticity, dry climate
    My favorite brands are Kinky Curly, As I am, Curly Kinks, Curl Junkie, and Darcy's Botanicals. Also love sealing with oils (loving argan oil right now) and styling with jelly products (KCCC is my current favorite). Mostly trying to keep it simple!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

CG since 12/29/2011 :laughing6:
    here's tonya's page i bookmarked and it will come up with her latest article:

Tonya McKay | NaturallyCurly.com

and here is the title of the article:
    Polyquaternium-59: Sun Protection for Your Curls

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights