2C's..anyone cowash only?

IAgalIAgal Registered Users Posts: 139
I'm back to trying to be CG starting today. Is it even possible for 2c's to cowash only or do you almost always have to use a low poo at some point?

Have any of you found you are moisturized enough with the cowash to not need a deep cond/leave in,etc?

i'd LIKE to just use suave naturals wild cherry blossom conditioner and then some gel...if THAT doesn't work, anyone have any reccomendations for a RO that is richer than the suave in case i need it?

Thanks!

also,any reassurances that a conditioner CAN cleanse the scalp and hair good enough to not cause buildup or is there always going to be some buildup to have to deal with,either by using a low poo or acv/bs...

Comments

• LjpizzoLjpizzo Registered Users Posts: 22 Curl Neophyte
    I'm somewhere between 2c and 3a but I have done only cowash for years. I have a bottle of DC low poo that I bought about 4 months ago that I do use occasionally if I feel a little build up or itchy scalp but in I think cowashing only is fine and will make your hair very healthy.
  • IAgalIAgal Registered Users Posts: 139
    thank you ! Do you have to use a heavier RO or is
    your cowash conditioner good enough?
    Ok I am still very new to this forum so forgive me for this question.

I have 4 pages (including FAQ) open that reference acronyms and abbreviations and I still can't Figure out what RO means...

It's like everyone here speaks a different language and I have to always have a dictionary nearby to translate lol
  • PerriPPerriP Registered Users Posts: 6,613 Curl Neophyte
    RO is Rinse Out conditioner :)

Sent from my HTC Glacier using CurlTalk App
    Modified CG since Dec 2011
    Ok I just figured it out "rinse out" ...geez that took some serious digging to figure out. Lol

Anyway I use DC no poo and DC one condition but again that is a new thing, for many years I was happy with only one bottle of conditioner in the shower for both cowash and "RO"
    i agree all the abbreviations can get confusing!
    I guess I will try just a cowash and then see if i need
    a more moisturizing rinse out :)
  • KeihsKeihs Registered Users Posts: 435
    I always thought my hair was straight but when I CO wash, I have waves. I really liked being CG, depending on my products. The first conditioner I used is Aveda Rosemary Mint Conditioner. It made my hair feel clean, without feeling dried out like shampoo, didn't weigh my hair down, and actually brought waves and sometimes curls when I leave in some out after washing then scrunch.

I usually hear about other people using VO5 and Suave and I wanted to try it out. I used VO5 Extra Body and Kiwi Lime Squeeze and I'm also trying Suave Sun ripened strawberry. They both left my hair limp, weighed down with barely any wave or curl. So, I guess what works for one person doesn't work for everyone else. So if one product doesn't work for you, try a different one. Right now, I'm sticking with Aveda's. Good luck!
  • whirlyhairwhirlyhair Registered Users Posts: 194
    I co-wash mostly, but I use a low poo either once a week or every other week before putting on a deep conditioning treatment.
    CG since 3/11/2012

Engaged. :love5: Wedding date: 02/26/2016

Type 2C (Botticelli according to Curly Girl: The Handbook)
    iii Density
    Medium-Coarse Texture
    Normal Porosity
    Normal Elasticity
    HATES: Traditional sulfates/cones.
    LOVES: Lots of moisture and homemade FSG! :love10:
    (Many thanks to http://www.livecurlylivefree.com/ for helping me figure out my texture, porosity, and elasticity properties! Check them out sometime!)
  • bluebonnetbluebonnet Registered Users Posts: 82
    I cowash only. I cant remember the last time I low poo'd - June I think. I use a clarifying or cleansing conditioner, then either Tresemme Naturals or Suave Naturals as a RO, depending on how much moisture I need. I started mod-CG in Feb, and full CG in April, and I've never done a DT. I have coarse, low porosity, 2c hair.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    CG 4/13/2012
    med-coarse texture/med density/low porosity
    (2c/3a)
    Clarifying: TJ TTT shampoo
    Cowash: VO5 clarifying kiwi lime, Suave daily clarifying
    RO: SN or Tresemme naturals, TJ TTT
    LI: SN or VO5
    Styling: Gels - HESMU, AAV; John Frieda & HETT mousse; TIGI Curl Booster, FX Curl Booster * Fan of plopping & diffusing
  • SundialSundial Registered Users Posts: 72
    I usually just use conditioner, but sometimes I wash my hair with an organic/natural (and sulfate/chemical-free) baby shampoo that I bought at the local health food store. For cleansing the scalp, I've been following the advice in the CG book to scrub the scalp once a week with a mixture of 1 tbsp conditioner and 1 tbsp brown sugar (not sure if the proportions are right, the book also recommends quinoa instead of sugar but I found it messy) and that seems to work good.
  • SweetSquatchiiSweetSquatchii Registered Users Posts: 138
    Sundial wrote: »
    I usually just use conditioner, but sometimes I wash my hair with an organic/natural (and sulfate/chemical-free) baby shampoo that I bought at the local health food store. For cleansing the scalp, I've been following the advice in the CG book to scrub the scalp once a week with a mixture of 1 tbsp conditioner and 1 tbsp brown sugar (not sure if the proportions are right, the book also recommends quinoa instead of sugar but I found it messy) and that seems to work good.

I hadn't heard that yet.... I would think it would be sticky or snot easy to spread through hair.... but I might have to try it.

I normally use KC Come Clean Low Poo every few weeks or so. It kind of depends on how the weather treats my hair or how humid it gets or how active I am. I think I could get away without doing it but I'd have to scrub super hard sometimes to get it clean with a co-wash and sometimes it's faster and easier to do a Low Poo.
    2C, Medium/Fine, Low Porosity, High Density - CG since 5.19.12
    Cowash: Burt's Bee's More Moisture Boabab
    Conditioner/LI: Nature's Gate Tea Tree Conditioner - I don't RO
    Styling Products: KCCC, KY, Deva Arc AnGel, HESMU
    Thanks for all the replies,makes me feel better that it IS possible to go cowash only with an occasional lowpoo:)

One thing i don't understand(or can't seem to find)is
    an actual cleansing conditioner that does NOT have oils
    of some kind in it.....so either i have to use a conditioner like suave or vo5 or go with a sulfate free shampoo. I don't want oil on my scalp,causes problems

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file