co wash- suave vs vo5

IAgalIAgal Registered Users Posts: 139
anyone have any opinions on which one works better?
I have 2c hair,thick,non porous,long hair. never colored,never use heat so pretty healthy. i've read that
vo5 conditioners are lighter than suave but i really don't know what that "means"...less conditioning?
i'm also open to any other cowash,just don't want oils in it,makes my hair greasy.
need protein free.
i'm also still having trouble believing that a CONDITIONER has what it takes to get my scalp and hair clean as long as i don't use silicones...all my friends and family wrinkle their noses and say "ew, gross"...anyone give me any reassurances?Thanks!

Comments

• Corrina777Corrina777 Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Curl Connoisseur
    I do ok with Suave Daily Clarifying Conditioner as a co-wash, but my personal favorite is VO5 Vanilla Mint Tea (protein free). I can use daily without a problem. Make sure to use as much as you need to really coat your roots (I use a good 2 or 3 palmfuls, and I apply along my hairline and work my way towards my crown). I spend a good 2 or 3 minutes massaging my entire scalp and I continue to massage as I rinse. I remember from previous posts that you tried the Curls cleansing conditioner- I can absolutely say that the VO5 conditioner makes my hair feel much better.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a/f/iii
    Modified CG since 11/5/11
    CLEANSE: CJ Daily Fix, DevaCare No-Poo, CHS Treatment Shampoo
    RO: SS Caitlin's Conditioner, CJ Beauticurls Strengthening
    LI: SS Repairing Protein Treatment, CHS Silk Leave-In
    STYLE: Re:Coil, Curl Keeper, Deva Ultra Defining Gel, Curls Rock Amplifier,Sweet Curls Elixirs Okra Gel and Hard Hold Gel, SS Curl Enhancing Jelly and Firm Hold Gel
  • IAgalIAgal Registered Users Posts: 139
    thanks Corrina, yes i did try the curls cleanser and it just did not work for me.
    i will try the vo5 kind,is that the only "scent" of the vo5's that worked for you or do you go by smell only? :)

what are the actual ingred in the conditioner that do the cleaning?

do you still need a heavier RO? i was wondering if i cowashed only if my hair would then be moisturized enough from not having sulfates to not even need a RO?
    Im a minimalist if you can't tell :) or just lazy :)
    also Corrina, why/when do you find you need to clarify?
    I use Vanilla Mint Tea because it's labeled as a clarifying conditioner- it doesn't get much lighter than that. VO5 Kiwi Lime is also a clarifying conditioner, but it has protein, which you said you were looking to avoid.

I do still use a heavier RO. My roots get very sweaty and gunky from martial arts training, so they don't need a lot of moisture, but the length of my hair still does need the extra moisture of a RO. But there are some people who can just get away with one product for co-wash and RO.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a/f/iii
    STYLE: Re:Coil, Curl Keeper, Deva Ultra Defining Gel, Curls Rock Amplifier,Sweet Curls Elixirs Okra Gel and Hard Hold Gel, SS Curl Enhancing Jelly and Firm Hold Gel
    I have used the VO5 for as long as 2 straight weeks. I clarify before my PT/DT, which is what ended my 2 week co-wash streak. I also started using some silicone products on occasion again, so I rotate in cleansing conditioners with coco betaine or a very gentle sulfate shampoo to handle silicone use. Once I was using a light enough conditioner and the right technique, my hair didn't feel like it needed to be clarified.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a/f/iii
    okay,gotcha. thanks for explaining so well! so for the vo5
    when you say you can't get any "lighter" than that do you mean that it has the least amount of conditioning agents in a conditioner compared to suave? but it does still have enough "cleansers" in it to actually clean the scalp still correct? what is the actual name/names of the ingredients that are the actual cleansers in the conditioner just so i know for future reference,to me it seems silly for conditioners to also have cleansers,why would they do that?
    sorry for all the questions. it seems the more i delve into all this,the more questions i come up with!
    It definitely cleanses, but without the heaviness of many other conditioners. But again, the technique is just as important. Livecurlylivefree.com has the best explanation I've seen of how to co-wash correctly. I feel comfortable enough with how well the VO5 works that I have no problem at all telling people that I primarily just use conditioner to cleanse my hair.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a/f/iii
    I'm not home right now, which is why I can't give ingredient specifics. :(

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a/f/iii
    thanks for all your help!

do you have any suggestions for a RO in case i need
    one? I probably am not going to be able to use anything with oils...for some reason they just sit on my hair and don't seem to absorb :(

drugstore or sallys preferably if possible...

then i'll move onto finding a gel that is protein
    free and hopefully that will be it :)
    Hmm. You could try Tresemme Naturals- there are 3 different formulas, so one of those might work. Garnier Fructis Pure Clean conditioner is pretty light- I wanted something with more slip, but the co-wash already has a good amount of slip on its own. The GF Body Boost is also still CG-friendly and probably a little richer than Pure Clean and lighter than the Norishing Moisture formula of Tresemme Naturals. If the Tresemme isn't enough moisture I would try GVP Conditioning Balm from Sally's. ROs are more of a challenge for me because my hair loves protein so I typically look for very protein rich products. The GVP CB and TN stuff should be low to no protein; you would have to double check the GF stuff because I don't know for sure off hand.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a/f/iii

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file