Just when you think you have it figured out...

angelita23angelita23 Registered Users Posts: 25
So, I thought I had it figured out. But, I suppose I don't. I'm a 2b, that much I know.

My hair didn't look so hot when I first started CG. Turns out, I can't co-wash. I have to use a no sulfate shampoo (which I believe is referred to as a "low-poo"). It still didn't look like I thought it should, so I stumbled upon the gelatin protein treatment. WOW. It looked so amazing after the first one that I did a second one the next day (I only left it on about 3-5 minutes each time) and did a couple more the subsequent days. Then it started to look kinda crappy again.

So, I tried to use some of my RO (Tressemme Naturals) as a LI. Epic fail. Limp was not the word.
So, I bought the GVP Conditioning Balm and it helped a bit. My top layers still feel kind of rough. So, out of curiosity, I didn't use my mousse in it today (HETT) to see what it looked like sans product. Again, epic fail (We live in PR and Isaac is giving us a generous helping of rain at the moment). I am a frizz puff and wearing a bun today!

So, I guess my questions is...What have I done? And what should I do about what I have done?

I'm pretty sure that I have high porosity and not sure which type I have (not coarse, not fine).

The water here is very different than our water in the states. Definitely not soft water here. Could that affect it?

And, if my hair is healthy and moisturized, it shouldn't be frizzy, right?

I know this is strange, but could the type of dryer and diffuser be making a difference. I have a finger and bowl diffuser (I think that's what they're called), but I think it has more "holes" than my one did in the states and I'm wondering if that is leading to more frizz when I dry, because that has been a massive problem recently.

My daughter is 10 months old and the hair that fell out while I was pregnant (and at 4 months post-partum) is now growing back in and is about 2 inches long, with a mind of its own.

There are so many factors, but I don't know which one of them could be affecting my hair...which is in danger of going where Sinead O'Connor's did when she did the massive chop... Help!

And, thanks in advance :)

Comments

• LexieconLexiecon Registered Users Posts: 6
    Sounds like you may have over dosed on protein, that can make your hair really brittle and rough. You don't really need to do protein treatments very often, maybe one a week if your hair is super fine, but once a month is usually more than enough.

It's hard to get products to work when your hair is brittle. The Conditioning Balm should help.

Sent from my PC36100 using CurlTalk App
    2c/3a

Currently using:
    Cowash: Suave Naturals Ocean Breeze
    RO: Generic Biolage CB + CJ Smoothing Conditioner
    LI: CJ Curl Rehab (Strawberry Ice Cream)
    DC: CJ Curl Rehab (Strawberry Ice Cream)
    Styling: DevaCurl Set it Free, DevaCare ArcAngel
  • angelita23angelita23 Registered Users Posts: 25
    How often should I use the balm?
  • Corrina777Corrina777 Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Curl Connoisseur
    Until you get past the overproteined roughness, I would use the Conditioning Balm as your RO the next few times you wash your hair. Once your hair starts feeling softer you can rotate between that and your lighter RO. And don't eliminate the gelatin completely- just use in small doses. Getting the right balance between protein and moisture is definitely the most challenging part of managing wavy and curly hair.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a/f/iii
    Modified CG since 11/5/11
    CLEANSE: CJ Daily Fix, DevaCare No-Poo, CHS Treatment Shampoo
    RO: SS Caitlin's Conditioner, CJ Beauticurls Strengthening
    LI: SS Repairing Protein Treatment, CHS Silk Leave-In
    STYLE: Re:Coil, Curl Keeper, Deva Ultra Defining Gel, Curls Rock Amplifier,Sweet Curls Elixirs Okra Gel and Hard Hold Gel, SS Curl Enhancing Jelly and Firm Hold Gel
    Are there any products that contain protein that might be better to use instead of using a large dose of the protein in the gelatin form? As far as I am aware, none of the products (l'oreal evercreme low-poo, tresemme naturals RO nor HETTM) contain protein.

Do you think this would work better than an "all at once" treatment, like the gelatin?
  • Corrina777Corrina777 Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Curl Connoisseur
    It sounds like you did ok with the gelatin until you upped the frequency. But, there are definitely products with less protein available. A few possibilities: ION Effective Care (from Sally's), Curl Junkie Repair Me, Giovanni NutraFix, Renpure Organics Kertatin conditioner.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a/f/iii
    Modified CG since 11/5/11
    CLEANSE: CJ Daily Fix, DevaCare No-Poo, CHS Treatment Shampoo
    RO: SS Caitlin's Conditioner, CJ Beauticurls Strengthening
    LI: SS Repairing Protein Treatment, CHS Silk Leave-In
    STYLE: Re:Coil, Curl Keeper, Deva Ultra Defining Gel, Curls Rock Amplifier,Sweet Curls Elixirs Okra Gel and Hard Hold Gel, SS Curl Enhancing Jelly and Firm Hold Gel
    That seems like it might help a bit. But, no protein for me until I get this straw off of my scalp.

I left the GVP Balm in for about 5 minutes in the shower. Does anyone else leave it in for longer, thus speeding up the repairing properties? I'd like some normal hair again :)
  • kimmidawnkimmidawn Registered Users Posts: 900
    I've done it before (usually for PTs, but occasionally for DTs also) where I've left it on longer, so that's definitely something you can try. I would try leaving it on ten minutes instead of the five that you did previously, and see how your hair is doing.
    2b, fine texture, normal porosity & elasticity (CG as of 12/2011)

Low-poo: UFD Rich & Funky
    Cowash: VO5 Kiwi Lime
    RO: Tresemme Naturals, Aubrey Organics GPB, Ion Effective Care, MillCreek Keratin
    PT/DT: IAgirl's PT, GVP CB
    LI: KCKT, Cure Care, CJ CCCC Lite
    Styling: Curl Keeper, As I Am Jelly, UFD Curly Magic, CJ Curl Queen, TIGI Strong Hold Mousse

http://public.fotki.com/kdawn12/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ^^ day 1 of going CG; avatar = 6 months later
    Thanks, guys. I feel like I have some hope for my hair now. I was thinking pixie cut before (jk, but seriously frustrated).

Kimmidawn: Do you use a low-poo, cowash and a RO? I only do a low-poo and a RO. What are the advantages of adding a cowash?
  • kimmidawnkimmidawn Registered Users Posts: 900
    angelita23 wrote: »
    Thanks, guys. I feel like I have some hope for my hair now. I was thinking pixie cut before (jk, but seriously frustrated).

Kimmidawn: Do you use a low-poo, cowash and a RO? I only do a low-poo and a RO. What are the advantages of adding a cowash?

I usually actually use a really gentle sulfate shampoo (it's more gentle than a lot of the low poos I've tried), but depending on how my hair is feeling, I'll use either my sulfate shampoo, a low poo, or cowash (I always use a rinse out). I occasionally also will mix half cowash and half low poo (some call it a "co-poo"). A cowash can be helpful if your hair is dry, so you might want to try it in the near future.
    2b, fine texture, normal porosity & elasticity (CG as of 12/2011)

Low-poo: UFD Rich & Funky
    Cowash: VO5 Kiwi Lime
    RO: Tresemme Naturals, Aubrey Organics GPB, Ion Effective Care, MillCreek Keratin
    PT/DT: IAgirl's PT, GVP CB
    LI: KCKT, Cure Care, CJ CCCC Lite
    Styling: Curl Keeper, As I Am Jelly, UFD Curly Magic, CJ Curl Queen, TIGI Strong Hold Mousse

http://public.fotki.com/kdawn12/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ^^ day 1 of going CG; avatar = 6 months later
    Ohhh, I see. I normally use the low-poo mixed with a dab of a clarifying shampoo (suave). I don't use very much, but I think that b/c I have PCOS, my hair is a bit oilier than average at the roots.

I think I might only use the shampoo mixture at the roots and use a cowash on the rest of it. I'm not sure. I'm going to have a shower full of products by the end when I figure this out, that's for sure!

What does the UFD stand for? I can't find that thread that tells me abbreviations...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file