CurlTalk

Lance Armstrong banned for life, stripped of 7 Tour wins

The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,738Registered Users
The U.S. Anti-Doping Agency has banned Lance Armstrong for life and stripped him of all seven Tour de France victories that helped make him an American hero.

Lance Armstrong banned for life, stripped of 7 Tour wins

I have no interest in cycling. But this is big.
montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
«13

Comments

  • medussamedussa Posts: 12,993Registered Users
    Wow.
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 19,238Registered Users Curl Dabbler
    double wow! I'm really saddened by that. He has been a role model for so many years.
    --I'm located in Western PA.
    --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, started going grey in late 2005.
    --My hair is 3B with some 3A, texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
    --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, oils, honey, vinegar.
    --My CG and grey hair progress -- http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,258Registered Users
    He's a first-class jerk*ff. Cheater!
  • *Marah**Marah* Posts: 8,032Registered Users
    Good.. cause I'm sick of his BULL. He knows he cheated his azz off..and not just while biking!
    tumblr_m9jonzYZmu1re7hjjo1_250.jpg
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,495Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    These were all solely performnce-enhancing? Not part of his treatment?

    I love how these athletic commissions keep trying to re-write history.

  • rouquinnerouquinne Posts: 13,495Registered Users Curl Dabbler
    Dear US Anti-Doping Agency -

    produce a failed drug test for this man.

    what's that? you can't? you only have the word of a bunch of people who have admitted to cheating...

    i thought in your country that one was innocent until PROVEN guilty.

    uh huh...
    My blog:

    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Flabellatestarossa.blogspot.ca%2F" class="Popup

    Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
  • emthefantasticalemthefantastical Posts: 962Registered Users
    From what I understand, the USADA can't strip him of any titles. That's something only the UCI can do, and the UCI is pretty skeptical of what is going on, considering Lance has yet to produce a failed drug test.
    2c/3a
    somewhere between fine and medium texture
    average porosity underneath, fairly high porosity in the canopy



    cowash: Suave Tropical Coconut
    rinse-out: GFTN, One-C
    styling: LALSG, EcoStyler, Deva Styling Cream

  • rileybrileyb Posts: 1,975Registered Users
    He's a first-class jerk*ff. Cheater!

    He really is - my husband actually met him and I can't even tell you what a total jerk he was. This surprises me zero and I am glad he will be labeled a cheater.
    I haven't got the slightest idea how to change people, but I still keep a long list of prospective candidates just in case I should ever figure it out.
  • murrrcatmurrrcat Posts: 9,596Registered Users
    dang son.

    can I dope/transfuse blood to lose weight, so i like go hard working out?
    tumblr_mji9u1Fwza1rh1wv4o1_500.jpg
  • CanItBeChristineCanItBeChristine Posts: 6,343Registered Users
    I loved his first memoir so much, was SO moved by it, especially since my cousin was diagnosed with cancer at 30 and give months to live around the time I read it. That's kinda how I want to remember him.
  • LAwomanLAwoman Posts: 2,949Registered Users
    He's struck me as a Grade A d-bag for many years so yea ... Not gonna be crying into my Wheaties over this news.
  • poisonivypoisonivy Posts: 1,551Registered Users
    I agree with RCW. Pissed me off. My Inlaws are trying to defend him.
  • juanabjuanab Posts: 4,037Registered Users
    He may be a jerk, an a-hole, etc., but don't you still need to have proof other than the word of those who were caught cheating? This reminds me of what happened to Gary Condit. Did he cheat on his wife, yes, but that didn't make him a killer. With no proof whatsoever, the implications abounded. Turns out, he didn't do it. Innocent until proven guilty? Seems not anymore.


    Sent from my iPhone using CurlTalk

    texture - medium/fine, porosity - low/normal, elasticity - normal
    co-wash - NaturelleGrow Coconut Water or Marshmallow Root, Slippery Elm Bark & Blue Malva Cleansing Conditioners
    LI - KCKT mixed w/ SM C & H Curl & Style Milk
    DC - NG Mango & Coconut H2O or Chamomile/Brdck Root
    Gel - SM souffle (winter), KCCC (summer) or CR Naturals Aloe Whipped Butter Gel (year round)
    Sealers - Virgin Coconut Oil, Avocado butter, Aloe butter
    Ayurvedic treatments - Jamila Henna, Sukesh, Aloe Vera Powder, Hibiscus Powder
    .


    event.png
  • murrrcatmurrrcat Posts: 9,596Registered Users
    juanab wrote: »
    He may be a jerk, an a-hole, etc., but don't you still need to have proof other than the word of those who were caught cheating? This reminds me of what happened to Gary Condit. Did he cheat on his wife, yes, but that didn't make him a killer. With no proof whatsoever, the implications abounded. Turns out, he didn't do it. Innocent until proven guilty? Seems not anymore.


    Sent from my iPhone using CurlTalk



    someone wrote this:

    To quote someone (I don't remember who), if he was doping, Lance beat a bunch of fellow dopers. If he didn't dope, he still beat a bunch of dopers




    it is odd to not actually have proof, tis kind of rude.
    tumblr_mji9u1Fwza1rh1wv4o1_500.jpg
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 19,238Registered Users Curl Dabbler
    I'm confused. I'm not a sports fan in any way so I usually don't pay much attention. But if there is no proof he was doping, how can they ban him and take away his wins?
    I don't care about his personal life in the least. He can cheat on his wife, he can be an a$$hole or a prick or a snob. No matter to me. But if there's no proof he has ever cheated in sports, then how can he be accused of cheating?
    --I'm located in Western PA.
    --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, started going grey in late 2005.
    --My hair is 3B with some 3A, texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
    --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, oils, honey, vinegar.
    --My CG and grey hair progress -- http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html
  • CurlyCanadianCurlyCanadian Posts: 10,771Registered Users Curl Dabbler
    They were interviewing another biker on the radio tonight. He said they are tested so often and so randomly (he said he had been pulled out of bed in the middle of the night to pee), that there is just no way that he was clean every single time if he was taking anything, or using masking agents.

    Totally agree with Jeepy, his personal life is irrevelant here.
    I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
    Audrey Hepburn
  • TrenellTrenell Posts: 3,562Registered Users
    I'm confused. I'm not a sports fan in any way so I usually don't pay much attention. But if there is no proof he was doping, how can they ban him and take away his wins?
    I don't care about his personal life in the least. He can cheat on his wife, he can be an a$$hole or a prick or a snob. No matter to me. But if there's no proof he has ever cheated in sports, then how can he be accused of cheating?


    All of this. (Again, I have no knowledge of the sport)
  • mrspoppersmrspoppers Posts: 7,223Registered Users
    I have a little knowledge of the sport and my husband has a lot of knowledge of the sport. They test so often and randomly that it's pretty hard to never test positive if you're doping. Not only that, the French have been after him since his first win and have tested and retested his blood samples over the years. If there was anything, they would have found it.

    I understand that it has been fairly commonplace over the years to take low levels of testosterone and the like--enough to help but not enough to be over the line in a test. I imagine Lance isn't 100% innocent. However, there's no evidence of that.

    Anyway, I'm with the camp that says that just because he's an ******* doesn't mean he deserves to have his wins taken away. And who are they going to give the wins to? More dopers?
    When are women going to face the fact that they don’t know their own bodies as well as men who have heard things?

    Don Langrick
    Bonsai Culturist
  • The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,738Registered Users
    So the charges were driven by jealousy from the French or other cyclists?
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

    I am the new Black.

    "Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
  • *Marah**Marah* Posts: 8,032Registered Users
    It's not accurate that no drug test of Armstrong's have ever tested positive. In 1999 six of 12 samples of his did indeed test positive. USATODAY.com - Story: Armstrong had six positives from 1999 tests

    Armstrong immediately cited spiking and mishandling. But reports say that there is no way EPO could have gotten in his particular samples for the purpose of setting him up because the people the samples are attatched to are not identified. Although there is a round about way to do it..but there would have to be exact matching up and knowing exactly when that person with that sample did certain events. Also there was actually a problem that the procedure wasn't up to par so that left doubt. But give me a break..these people in the lab have 100s of samples all the time they ain't going thru all of that drama just to set up Armstrong.

    So it wasn't (and isn't) a matter of NO Lance Armstrong positive dope test exists because some did exist..it's a matter of the fact that because of procedure and structure of the results table leaves question, and the unfortunate and inappropriate implications (at the wrong time) made by Dick Pound, former president of WADA and VP of IOC made about Armstrong that could have cause a lot of problems for WADA and the IOC and made it look like they were trying to just dog this guy. Which they were NOT having. It wasn't worth it to them to take it further at that time. Which is really no surprise. So Lance Armstrongs positive drug tests got sidelined.

    Furthermore, among cyclists the ins and outs of doping is not all that uncommon nor how to beat drug tests. Some people get caught..sure but the super clever ones often don't. Armstrong has generated MILLIONS of dollars for many and has made over $100 million dollars for himself. There was always a lot riding on him to be on top . And I have no doubt Armstrong, his people, and his doctors knew the in and outs of how to deal with doping and the tests.

    Some cyclists even explain how to cheat dope tests:
    BBC SPORT | Other Sport | Cycling | Cyclists 'cheat dope tests'

    Cheat Sheet. The Dope On How They Beat The Tests - New York Daily News

    So it's BS that it can't be done and can't be done several times over. And I absolutely believe that Lance Armstrong (like many other athletes in cycling, the NFL, the UFC, and MBL, and NBA) doped to stay on top. But like Mark McQuire he's not going to give himself up under any circumstance..he's built a very cozy and rich life for himself. And to admit that he doped is committing financial suicide. He ain't going there. It's easier to just slink out of it than fight because if these witnesses come forward and testify at these hearings it will indeed cost him MILLIONS and blow the lid off his BS. It's not worth it to him and he nor his lawyers are stupid.

    Bottom line: Many people don't want to remember their iconic hero as a cheating doper that made millions upon millions by being a liar and a cheat. So they'd rather believe this guy actually won the Tour de France all those times just by hard work and sheer will. Sure, it's a nice story. And well I think his cancer struggle and recovery warms many hearts.. I know it does mine and I love the Live Strong message and website..but I damn sure ain't stupid enough (and never was) to believe that Lance Armstrong never doped to win and people including several officials for USADA, WADA and IOC, all these witness that were fully prepared to testify against Lance are just so jealous so they are on a witch hunt. That he's the LONE cyclist that never did any drugs when it's so prevelant in that sport. Please.
    tumblr_m9jonzYZmu1re7hjjo1_250.jpg
  • juanabjuanab Posts: 4,037Registered Users
    Not saying he didn't, just think there needs to be legitimate proof, as in beyond a reasonable doubt. Really suspect to me to go all the way back to 1999. No vendetta? Righhht.

    From the article you posted:

    Raymond Poulidor, a popular French cycling hero and three-time Tour runner-up, was clear about his position: "This is ridiculous. Why not retroactively test all the way back to 1903?"

    Sent from my iPhone using CurlTalk

    texture - medium/fine, porosity - low/normal, elasticity - normal
    co-wash - NaturelleGrow Coconut Water or Marshmallow Root, Slippery Elm Bark & Blue Malva Cleansing Conditioners
    LI - KCKT mixed w/ SM C & H Curl & Style Milk
    DC - NG Mango & Coconut H2O or Chamomile/Brdck Root
    Gel - SM souffle (winter), KCCC (summer) or CR Naturals Aloe Whipped Butter Gel (year round)
    Sealers - Virgin Coconut Oil, Avocado butter, Aloe butter
    Ayurvedic treatments - Jamila Henna, Sukesh, Aloe Vera Powder, Hibiscus Powder
    .


    event.png
  • *Marah**Marah* Posts: 8,032Registered Users
    juanab wrote: »
    Not saying he didn't, just think there needs to be legitimate proof, as in beyond a reasonable doubt. Really suspect to me to go all the way back to 1999. No vendetta? Righhht.

    From the article you posted:

    Raymond Poulidor, a popular French cycling hero and three-time Tour runner-up, was clear about his position: "This is ridiculous. Why not retroactively test all the way back to 1903?"

    Sent from my iPhone using CurlTalk

    The point is it's a lie that he's never tested positive. The fact that EPO was in his samples is legit. And the fact that EPO was in his samples back in 1999 shouldn't be discounted. He was active in cycling at that time and won during that time. So to question those samples is legit. It'd be idiotic to discount any of his time cycling or the testimony of people that were on his team, worked with him, or were around him. It all needs to be considered and taken into an account.

    It's pretty moot now though. He chose not to go to balls to the walls for himself within the system and his wins have been stripped and he's been banned. He's still rich as hell and he still has his memories. I'm not feeling bad for the guy nor do I think there was any calculated witch hunt. If you or anyone else believes otherwise... um okay. NBD.
    tumblr_m9jonzYZmu1re7hjjo1_250.jpg
  • mrspoppersmrspoppers Posts: 7,223Registered Users
    *Marah* wrote: »
    It's not accurate that no drug test of Armstrong's have ever tested positive. In 1999 six of 12 samples of his did indeed test positive. USATODAY.com - Story: Armstrong had six positives from 1999 tests

    Armstrong immediately cited spiking and mishandling. But reports say that there is no way EPO could have gotten in his particular samples for the purpose of setting him up because the people the samples are attatched to are not identified. Although there is a round about way to do it..but there would have to be exact matching up and knowing exactly when that person with that sample did certain events. Also there was actually a problem that the procedure wasn't up to par so that left doubt. But give me a break..these people in the lab have 100s of samples all the time they ain't going thru all of that drama just to set up Armstrong.

    So it wasn't (and isn't) a matter of NO Lance Armstrong positive dope test exists because some did exist..it's a matter of the fact that because of procedure and structure of the results table leaves question, and the unfortunate and inappropriate implications (at the wrong time) made by Dick Pound, former president of WADA and VP of IOC made about Armstrong that could have cause a lot of problems for WADA and the IOC and made it look like they were trying to just dog this guy. Which they were NOT having. It wasn't worth it to them to take it further at that time. Which is really no surprise. So Lance Armstrongs positive drug tests got sidelined.

    Furthermore, among cyclists the ins and outs of doping is not all that uncommon nor how to beat drug tests. Some people get caught..sure but the super clever ones often don't. Armstrong has generated MILLIONS of dollars for many and has made over $100 million dollars for himself. There was always a lot riding on him to be on top . And I have no doubt Armstrong, his people, and his doctors knew the in and outs of how to deal with doping and the tests.

    Some cyclists even explain how to cheat dope tests:
    BBC SPORT | Other Sport | Cycling | Cyclists 'cheat dope tests'

    Cheat Sheet. The Dope On How They Beat The Tests - New York Daily News

    So it's BS that it can't be done and can't be done several times over. And I absolutely believe that Lance Armstrong (like many other athletes in cycling, the NFL, the UFC, and MBL, and NBA) doped to stay on top. But like Mark McQuire he's not going to give himself up under any circumstance..he's built a very cozy and rich life for himself. And to admit that he doped is committing financial suicide. He ain't going there. It's easier to just slink out of it than fight because if these witnesses come forward and testify at these hearings it will indeed cost him MILLIONS and blow the lid off his BS. It's not worth it to him and he nor his lawyers are stupid.

    Bottom line: Many people don't want to remember their iconic hero as a cheating doper that made millions upon millions by being a liar and a cheat. So they'd rather believe this guy actually won the Tour de France all those times just by hard work and sheer will. Sure, it's a nice story. And well I think his cancer struggle and recovery warms many hearts.. I know it does mine and I love the Live Strong message and website..but I damn sure ain't stupid enough (and never was) to believe that Lance Armstrong never doped to win and people including several officials for USADA, WADA and IOC, all these witness that were fully prepared to testify against Lance are just so jealous so they are on a witch hunt. That he's the LONE cyclist that never did any drugs when it's so prevelant in that sport. Please.
    No, he didn't test positive in 1999. They tested one sample out of two, five years later. Go back and read the article you linked. There's a reason why nothing happened with those charges. The testing was faulty.

    I believe I said in my previous post that there are ways to go under the radar. However, the article you posted about cheating is from 2004. :laughing8: Please tell me how he cheated in his last win. I really want to know your theory. :D
    When are women going to face the fact that they don’t know their own bodies as well as men who have heard things?

    Don Langrick
    Bonsai Culturist
  • *Marah**Marah* Posts: 8,032Registered Users
    mrspoppers wrote: »
    No, he didn't test positive in 1999. They tested one sample out of two, five years later. Go back and read the article you linked. There's a reason why nothing happened with those charges. The testing was faulty.

    I know the reasons nothing happened with those charges.. I stated why in my post. I guess you didn't bother to read it. Maybe to eager to defend Armstrong ? It was long though so I understand if you just read that and jumped to comment. To me, it's a flat out lie that no sample he ever gave popped positive. Because it did.

    I said "in 1999" instead of "from 1999". Sorry. I get the gripe. Either way, the samples still were found to contain EPO. I explained the so called "faulty" accusations about the test right in that post and they aren't as cut and dry as you seem to want to suggest.
    I believe I said in my previous post that there are ways to go under the radar. However, the article you posted about cheating is from 2004. :laughing8: Please tell me how he cheated in his last win. I really want to know your theory. :D

    My post wasn't directed at you or anything you've stated. It was my opinion as to why I believe Armstrong is full of BS about never doping. He probably won in his last win like he always has..with dope. :laughing2:

    To me, it's pretty silly to act like this last win (if he didn't dope) makes up for his cheating ways. I wouldn't care if he won 10 million times. It doesn't change the EPO was in his samples, witness accounts of his dope ways, or that it's a valid question to raise when a trial and investigation is going on as to if some samples were positive. Doesn't matter anyway..what's done is done. Dude has been stripped and banned. He chose not to fight...so it is what it is.

    If you don't think that's relevant or you just simple disagree with my opinion... it's certainly okay with me. What do I care.. dude is not paying my bills. I'm just giving my thoughts like everyone else did is all.
    tumblr_m9jonzYZmu1re7hjjo1_250.jpg
  • Bella RainBella Rain Posts: 10Registered Users
    The U.S. Anti-Doping Agency has banned Lance Armstrong for life and stripped him of all seven Tour de France victories that helped make him an American hero.

    Good!

    I was a little girl when I cheered Marion Jones in the Sydney *I think* Olympics and, being an athletic chick, it broke my heart when she admitted to lying and doping and sent to jail. I was never naïve to the widespread 'roid and enhancements use in sports, but Marion let me down and it felt personal for some reason.

    No matter what *others* are doing, you have to keep your integrity and play by the rules. Sooner or later there are consequences for everything one does (good and bad).

    IMO there is no longer much integrity in professional sports, and I stopped watching the Olympics years ago so, next!
  • mrspoppersmrspoppers Posts: 7,223Registered Users
    No, you're right. I got bored and didn't read your post too carefully. You lost me when you said he tested positive in 1999. Then your diatribe about what people think and why was silly. Believe me, the guy isn't my hero. I do, however, find the whole thing to be a joke. You, however, seem to be pretty wrapped up in this whole thing. Seriously, you wrote a ****ing term paper. (Granted, your sources were from 2004, so they were irrelevant...) A comment is a paragraph. I'm not sure what a term paper is. :joker:
    When are women going to face the fact that they don’t know their own bodies as well as men who have heard things?

    Don Langrick
    Bonsai Culturist
  • *Marah**Marah* Posts: 8,032Registered Users
    mrspoppers wrote: »
    No, you're right. I got bored and didn't read your post too carefully. You lost me when you said he tested positive in 1999. Then your diatribe about what people think and why was silly. Believe me, the guy isn't my hero. I do, however, find the whole thing to be a joke. You, however, seem to be pretty wrapped up in this whole thing. Seriously, you wrote a ****ing term paper. (Granted, your sources were from 2004, so they were irrelevant...) A comment is a paragraph. I'm not sure what a term paper is. :joker:

    Nope.. I'm just opinionated and I don't feel the need to limit how much I say on any given subject when and if I feel like it. I like celebrity stuff..never made any secret about that around here. If you have a problem with how long my posts are..that's your choice to just not read them. But it's really none of your business how much I post, when I post, or how long my posts are one way or the other. I'm doing me.. you do you. ;-)

    So your comments about that instead of just sticking to your gripe about what I said about Armstrong is what's really irrelevant.
    tumblr_m9jonzYZmu1re7hjjo1_250.jpg
  • curlylauracurlylaura Posts: 8,352Registered Users
    He can't be stripped off his French tour titles, the US doping agency doesnt have that authority.

    He may be a jerk, I've never met him so I can't say, but his story of recovering from 3? forms of cancer and then going on to race again is inspiring.
    Fat does not make you fat. It's actually pretty important.
  • AmnerisAmneris Posts: 15,117Registered Users
    The arguments about the faulty testing have to do with the fact that the samples were frozen, which experts have said has nothing to do with it and they are accurate.

    I know the onus should not be on the accused to show he didn't do something, but it is interesting that with all the resources at his disposal, he chose this route. I think he was advised not to deny it because there is proof out there and once the science advances a bit, he could be proved to have committed perjury which would send him to jail like Marion Jones. As it stands, he gets the benefit of the doubt, loses his titles but retains hero status due to the cancer struggle and gets to keep his foundation and remain wealthy. I also don't feel bad for him.
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali


    .png


    534Pm5.png





  • juanabjuanab Posts: 4,037Registered Users
    curlylaura wrote: »
    He can't be stripped off his French tour titles, the US doping agency doesnt have that authority.

    He may be a jerk, I've never met him so I can't say, but his story of recovering from 3? forms of cancer and then going on to race again is inspiring.

    The cancer survivor part is what resonates with me. At this point, I believe we would be hard pressed to find an athlete these days who hasn't taken a performance enhancement.




    Sent from my iPhone using CurlTalk

    texture - medium/fine, porosity - low/normal, elasticity - normal
    co-wash - NaturelleGrow Coconut Water or Marshmallow Root, Slippery Elm Bark & Blue Malva Cleansing Conditioners
    LI - KCKT mixed w/ SM C & H Curl & Style Milk
    DC - NG Mango & Coconut H2O or Chamomile/Brdck Root
    Gel - SM souffle (winter), KCCC (summer) or CR Naturals Aloe Whipped Butter Gel (year round)
    Sealers - Virgin Coconut Oil, Avocado butter, Aloe butter
    Ayurvedic treatments - Jamila Henna, Sukesh, Aloe Vera Powder, Hibiscus Powder
    .


    event.png
«13