Newbie 2b overwhelmed and need product advice

reginablackreginablack Registered Users Posts: 4
Hi all. I have known about this website for some time, but am back to seek advice. I want my curls back! This site is overwhelming and I don't have hours to search through it to find product advice. My immediate need is to find a shampoo, conditioner and a gel or mouse for curl definition. I don't really understand all the talk here about sulfates, silicones, etc...it's all a little over my head. Can someone help me start of the process of getting my hair back in shape?

I believe I have 2b hair, short (above shoulders), but the main problem is that it is straight on top (from roots to about 3-4 inches down and that is driving me crazy! It didn't used to be as bad. I want it to be curly all over. I do not blow dry or use a curling iron...I just wash, mousse, scrunch and go. I do color my hair every 8 weeks or so (from a box, usually Loreal Feria). I would say my hair is probably medium/normal thickness and high porosity, but this is a guess. For the last few years I have been using cheap grocery store products. I switch back and forth between the Suave Professional line for curly hair for my shampoo, conditioner and the styling mousse to Herbal Essence curly line. I know this is probably what has ruined my hair and I feel like I need moisture.

Can someone please tell me where to start and what products they recommend? Do I need a clarifying shampoo first? Protein treatment? I don't really understand what all those things do yet. I have just begun the research here, because I am so frustrated with my hair. I don't want to read ingredients and try to figure out which ingredients I need or don't need. I figure some of you gals can already tell me which products/brands are the best!

Thanks so much in advance!
Newbie from Rockwall, TX
2b short above shoulder hair that is straight/flat from roots to 3-4 inches down and I hate it!
Need suggestions!

Comments

• GretchenGretchen Administrator Moderators Posts: 10,840 Curl Virtuoso
    Hi Regina! We're glad you're here. I've moved your thread over here to the 2s forum; you'll get lots of love and help here.
    As you dig around the site, you'll learn more about how to care for your hair.
    And you can apply filters here at our product review area to narrow down product recommendations for your hair type.
    You also probably want to spend some time learning about your Texture Type.

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • kstankstan Registered Users Posts: 423
    Plopping tends to work well for wavies and root curl. (search youtube) Also, Pixie diffusing can aid in that.

Try to use lighter products so you don't way down your waves.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    started CG on 6/25/12. :duckie:
    • 2c with a strait underneath
    • normal elasticity on top, none on the underneath
    • Fine side of Normal
    • Thick hair
    • Poriosity is a mystery. I think its all over the place.
  • reginablackreginablack Registered Users Posts: 4
    I think my hair is too short for plopping.
    Newbie from Rockwall, TX
    2b short above shoulder hair that is straight/flat from roots to 3-4 inches down and I hate it!
    Need suggestions!
  • asianrunnerasianrunner Registered Users Posts: 2,251 Curl Neophyte
    Basic link on CG to get you started:
    The College Curly

Link to figure out hair properties:
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/general-discussion-about-curly-hair/67218-texture-porosity-other-hair-type-madness.html

Hair properties are much more important than curl type and much more helpful in giving out advice. As a wavy, you may not get much root curl, IMO that is one of the defining characteristics of being a wavy!

Clarify w/ a cheap shampoo like Suave Naturals. Use Tresseme Naturals/yes to/Suave Naturals/VO5 for a rinse out. LALSG, BRHG, Herbal Essences are good gels.
    Coarse texture, normal-high porosity, normal elasticity (Komaza Care), very weak waves
    cleanser: Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix

rinse out: GVP Conditioning Balm, CJ Beauticurls, CJ Smoothing

jellies/creams: CR Curl Maker, KCCC
    gels: CJ CQ, CJ Pattern Pusha, BRHG

you could try clipping up your roots with the little pin curl clips to add some volume up top. I do this from time to time instead of plopping. Also, if you're trying to add some wave, I know they make finger wave clips. You could also give that a try.

The CG method has greatly improved my root curl, but its still a problem for most wavies.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    • Fine side of Normal
    • Thick hair
  • reginablackreginablack Registered Users Posts: 4
    Where could I find a list of what all these abbreviations folks are using mean? For instance, I have no idea what LALSG, BRHG stands for.

Thanks!
    Newbie from Rockwall, TX
    Need suggestions!
  • Corrina777Corrina777 Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Curl Connoisseur
    Where could I find a list of what all these abbreviations folks are using mean? For instance, I have no idea what LALSG, BRHG stands for.

Thanks!

In the Newbie Forum (and possibly also General Hair forum?) there's a sticky thread with abbreviations and definitions. I would include a link, but I'm on my phone.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a/f/iii
    Modified CG since 11/5/11
    CLEANSE: CJ Daily Fix, DevaCare No-Poo, CHS Treatment Shampoo
    RO: SS Caitlin's Conditioner, CJ Beauticurls Strengthening
    LI: SS Repairing Protein Treatment, CHS Silk Leave-In
    STYLE: Re:Coil, Curl Keeper, Deva Ultra Defining Gel, Curls Rock Amplifier,Sweet Curls Elixirs Okra Gel and Hard Hold Gel, SS Curl Enhancing Jelly and Firm Hold Gel
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    • Fine side of Normal
    • Thick hair

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file