Hello and questions

crouss05crouss05 Registered Users Posts: 6
Hi! I've been lurking on the forums and site for a few months, looking at what others use and do for their hair. It was hard for me to figure out my hair type, but i've narrowed it down to 2b/2c. It's super wavy and THICK, has a couple of actual curls toward the bottom of my hair.

My problem though is frizz. No matter what my hair is always a frizzy mess and it's aggravating. I've tried so many products and it seems like nothing works. Half the time I end up with a frizzy crunchy mess. I'm wondering if there's any suggestions for the frizz? I live in central Texas where it's always HOT and humid so the minute I step outside i'm ruined lol. My hair is also so thick that it takes almost the whole day to dry, maybe that's part of my problem? However, when I try drying it with heat using the diffuser it ends up the same.

I'm considering the CG meathod hoping it will not only help me tame my frizz but also just make my hair healthier and less dry. I have SUPER dry hair and the products the stylist told me to use don't help at all. I was told to use a frizz serum like John Freida (it does nothing for me) and a curling creme (it also does very little for me).

Aside from the frizz what works best for me is to wash my hair at night and follow up with a leave in conditioner, that way in the morning it's damp and not too dry, and it feels amazing....till I style it, then it turns crunchy and gets frizzy from messing with it. I use Tressemme Moisture Rich shampoo and conditioner followed by Cantu Leave in Repair conditioner (LOVE this stuff, it's why my hair feels awesome in the morning). My waves and bits of curls are best right out of bed. I think what I need to learn is how to keep that moisture in when I wake up, through the day it dries out and becomes frizzy. Right now what I use is Bed Head's After Party, Sexy Curls Curling Creme and then some LA Looks Nutricurl Nourishing Moisture Curl Gel.

Sorry for the novel, but any thoughts?

Comments

• Corrina777Corrina777 Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Curl Connoisseur
    I follow a modified CG routine, so I do incorporate sulfates and silicones in my routine sometimes. I'm not familiar with ingredients of most of the products you listed, but if the leave-in you really love has cones, here's some advice to build healthy hair around that:
    Get a gentle, silicone-free shampoo (yes, gentle sulfates exist). If you don't mind getting stuff online, my personal favorite is CHS Treatment Shampoo. Another good one that you can find in stores is Redken Fresh Curls.
    Find a good rinse-out conditioner that is silicone-free. I find that my hair feels much better if I wash and condition without cones and just use cones in styling products. If you have a Sally's GVP Conditioning Balm is super-rich. Other options include Tresemme Naturals, TIGI Moisture Maniac (if you can find it), and Aubrey Organics GPB conditioner.
    Follow the techniques that are discussed here- use a microfiber towel or a t-shirt to gently remove extra water, do not comb or brush (use your finger to detangle with conditioner in your hair), do not touch your hair as it's drying.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a/f/iii
    Modified CG since 11/5/11
    CLEANSE: CJ Daily Fix, DevaCare No-Poo, CHS Treatment Shampoo
    RO: SS Caitlin's Conditioner, CJ Beauticurls Strengthening
    LI: SS Repairing Protein Treatment, CHS Silk Leave-In
    STYLE: Re:Coil, Curl Keeper, Deva Ultra Defining Gel, Curls Rock Amplifier,Sweet Curls Elixirs Okra Gel and Hard Hold Gel, SS Curl Enhancing Jelly and Firm Hold Gel
  • crouss05crouss05 Registered Users Posts: 6
    Thank you! I'll give that a try.
  • kstankstan Registered Users Posts: 423
    i'm in GA and also deal with the hot and humid daily. I've been CG for about 2 months now and my frizz is much better now.

Going CG isn't hard at all. you just have to read the labels & deal with weird hair at first. Then it all evens out.

I really like: Garnier Fructis Pure Clean Smoothing Cream Strong. Its a antihumectant and is supposed to ward off excess moisture in the air frizzing up your hair in high dew points. I use a little aussie instant freeze over top for some hold while it dries.

Air drying takes about 4 hours for me. So i diffuse for about ten mintues (pixie curl method) http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/general-discussion-about-curly-hair/34025-what-pixie-curl-diffusing-method.html This really cuts down on my dry time. I usually leave with damp hair & its SOOOOOOOOOOOO hard to not play with it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    started CG on 6/25/12. :duckie:
    • 2c with a strait underneath
    • normal elasticity on top, none on the underneath
    • Fine side of Normal
    • Thick hair
    • Poriosity is a mystery. I think its all over the place.
  • crouss05crouss05 Registered Users Posts: 6
    I've seen that Garnier smoothing cream in the store so i'll definitely give that a try. I also looked into the pixie curl diffusing meathod you linked to. I had no idea to turn the dryer off after drying each section. Thank you so much for your suggestions!

So as far as products, do I put products in before or after diffusing? I've been putting in my leave in and curl creme, then diffusing and then going back and adding the gel and I end up adding more leave in or frizz serum too because it's so frizzy. Am I doing that wrong?
  • Corrina777Corrina777 Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Curl Connoisseur
    I personally apply everything before I diffuse.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a/f/iii
    Modified CG since 11/5/11
    CLEANSE: CJ Daily Fix, DevaCare No-Poo, CHS Treatment Shampoo
    RO: SS Caitlin's Conditioner, CJ Beauticurls Strengthening
    LI: SS Repairing Protein Treatment, CHS Silk Leave-In
    STYLE: Re:Coil, Curl Keeper, Deva Ultra Defining Gel, Curls Rock Amplifier,Sweet Curls Elixirs Okra Gel and Hard Hold Gel, SS Curl Enhancing Jelly and Firm Hold Gel
  • kstankstan Registered Users Posts: 423
    Corrina777 wrote: »
    I personally apply everything before I diffuse.

Ditto & then maybe a little more if diffusing makes some flyaways.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    started CG on 6/25/12. :duckie:
    • 2c with a strait underneath
    • normal elasticity on top, none on the underneath
    • Fine side of Normal
    • Thick hair
    • Poriosity is a mystery. I think its all over the place.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file