CurlTalk

Nyc trip need a cut

MsCurl83MsCurl83 Posts: 289Registered Users
Can anyone recommend within the Manhattan/Queens/Long Island or Brooklyn areas a salon to visit that will do the following:

1. Be cost effective and not charge hundreds of crazy dollars
2. Offer a good trim my ends are in need
3. Good stylist techniques and know how on carrying for a variety of natural hair textures
4. Highly recommended by my peers tried and true evaluations

Thank you in advance ladies!!!

"My hair is a reflection of my personality:
wild, free and beautiful."

Hair Type: S + Z = Crazy Beautiful
Hair Goal: Improve health!! Kill the knots!!!
BSL now
As of 6/24/12: Protective styles for summer
Achieving Curls: Terressentials Mud HAir Wash (the business! Terressentials.com) Giovanni 50/50 Cndtr (retired) KBN Shealoe LCndtr (on probation) Still perfecting the process.
Shoutout to FLAXSEEDS!!!! YOU ARE the MASTER on FRIZZ!!!

Comments

• SariaSaria Posts: 15,963Registered Users
    The Beehive is where a lot of people go. I went once, but since my stylist there went over to Self, I moved there as well. They're both in Brooklyn. They're pricey for someone like me who grew up with Dominican hair salons, where $40 is considered a lot, but they're under $100, which a lot of the big names are definitely not.
    por-que-no-te-callas.jpg
  • MsCurl83MsCurl83 Posts: 289Registered Users
    Ok thanks for that tip. I'll have to check both of those out, self and beehive.
    "My hair is a reflection of my personality:
    wild, free and beautiful."

Hair Type: S + Z = Crazy Beautiful
    Hair Goal: Improve health!! Kill the knots!!!
    BSL now
    As of 6/24/12: Protective styles for summer
    Achieving Curls: Terressentials Mud HAir Wash (the business! Terressentials.com) Giovanni 50/50 Cndtr (retired) KBN Shealoe LCndtr (on probation) Still perfecting the process.
    Shoutout to FLAXSEEDS!!!! YOU ARE the MASTER on FRIZZ!!!

• Talisa3636Talisa3636 Posts: 310Registered Users
    Healthy hair by Dean in Valley Stream!!
    4a hair: Fall/Winter HG's
    Qhemet: Alma and Olive Heavy Cream, Cocoa Tree
    Curl Junkie: DF, CIAB, Honey Butta, Curl Reham
    Oyin: Honey Hemp, Sugar Berry
    Anita Grant: Creamy Cafe Latte, Rhassoul DC, Babassu Amla Shampoo Bar, Monoi De Tahiti
    Bee Mine: Curly Butter
    Other: Millenia Mud, Hicks Oil
    Homemade: Jamila Henna, Alba UnPetroleum Mix, Scalp Oil Blend, Aloe/Condish Spray, Condition Rinse (Aussie Moist & Mane and Tail)
    :happy6: : www.fotki.com/talisa3636
  • Talisa3636Talisa3636 Posts: 310Registered Users
    I paid $60 for a shampoo, deep condition and super precise cut. He was awesome. I live in NC but he is my hair guy now lol
    4a hair: Fall/Winter HG's
    Qhemet: Alma and Olive Heavy Cream, Cocoa Tree
    Curl Junkie: DF, CIAB, Honey Butta, Curl Reham
    Oyin: Honey Hemp, Sugar Berry
    Anita Grant: Creamy Cafe Latte, Rhassoul DC, Babassu Amla Shampoo Bar, Monoi De Tahiti
    Bee Mine: Curly Butter
    Other: Millenia Mud, Hicks Oil
    Homemade: Jamila Henna, Alba UnPetroleum Mix, Scalp Oil Blend, Aloe/Condish Spray, Condition Rinse (Aussie Moist & Mane and Tail)
    :happy6: : www.fotki.com/talisa3636
  • MarcieaMarciea Posts: 148Registered Users
    Saria wrote: »
    The Beehive is where a lot of people go. I went once, but since my stylist there went over to Self, I moved there as well. They're both in Brooklyn. They're pricey for someone like me who grew up with Dominican hair salons, where $40 is considered a lot, but they're under $100, which a lot of the big names are definitely not.

Do you go to Jeffrey at Self? I've been going for about 3 years, and I adore him!

Last I checked, Self does offer a 15% discount for new customers. Haircut will definitely be under $100 with a tip and for a salon in NYC, that's pretty cheap.

Self Salon | Specials
    3A!
    Low Poo: GTTT, TJ's Refresh

Rinse Out: LVP, TJ's Nourish, GFTN, 365, SSCC
    Styling: HEBE,
    Biotera Curl Cream/Gel, Marie Dean, EW SAJ, Pink Boots, Re:Coil, KCCC, CK
  • SariaSaria Posts: 15,963Registered Users
    Marciea wrote: »
    Saria wrote: »

Do you go to Jeffrey at Self? I've been going for about 3 years, and I adore him!

Last I checked, Self does offer a 15% discount for new customers. Haircut will definitely be under $100 with a tip and for a salon in NYC, that's pretty cheap.

Self Salon | Specials

Yes! He's awesome!
    His prices went up last time I was there (though it could be due to my length), but yes, it's still under $100, which is a lot less than the amounts I see for places like Devachan.
    por-que-no-te-callas.jpg