What happened to my hair?!

sherrinicholesherrinichole Registered Users Posts: 7
I started the CG method last week and it has been GREAT so far. I first tried just co washing with Suave Naturals. That worked for a few days until I HAD to shampoo so I tried Loreal sulfate free shampoo and it looked GREAT. Then, this weekend I picked up DevaCurl No-poo and Giovanni tea tree conditioner and used that the past two days. The 1st day my hair was bouncy and beautiful with minimal frizz! Today, I did the same thing and it is dull and lifeless, weighted down, and feels gross.
I always use the same Ouidad climate control gel. Any ideas what I should do now? To me the Giovanni conditioner feels so heavy. Could that be it?

I am somewhere between 2b-2c.

Comments

• kimmidawnkimmidawn Registered Users Posts: 900
    My guess is too much moisture, with both the no-poo and that conditioner. Maybe try rotating the no-poo and your other cleansers?
    2b, fine texture, normal porosity & elasticity (CG as of 12/2011)

Low-poo: UFD Rich & Funky
    Cowash: VO5 Kiwi Lime
    RO: Tresemme Naturals, Aubrey Organics GPB, Ion Effective Care, MillCreek Keratin
    PT/DT: IAgirl's PT, GVP CB
    LI: KCKT, Cure Care, CJ CCCC Lite
    Styling: Curl Keeper, As I Am Jelly, UFD Curly Magic, CJ Curl Queen, TIGI Strong Hold Mousse

http://public.fotki.com/kdawn12/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ^^ day 1 of going CG; avatar = 6 months later
  • Corrina777Corrina777 Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Curl Connoisseur
    Ouidad Climate Control gel contains dimethicone, which is not water-soluble. Although the No-Poo has coco betaine, it is listed near the end of the ingredient list, so it might not be enough to remove silicone buildup. I would rotate in a low-poo with coco betaine. (As a side note, the DevaCARE No-Poo does have coco betaine near the top of the ingredient list. I use it in my rotation when I use silicone products.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a/f/iii
    Modified CG since 11/5/11
    CLEANSE: CJ Daily Fix, DevaCare No-Poo, CHS Treatment Shampoo
    RO: SS Caitlin's Conditioner, CJ Beauticurls Strengthening
    LI: SS Repairing Protein Treatment, CHS Silk Leave-In
    STYLE: Re:Coil, Curl Keeper, Deva Ultra Defining Gel, Curls Rock Amplifier,Sweet Curls Elixirs Okra Gel and Hard Hold Gel, SS Curl Enhancing Jelly and Firm Hold Gel
  • sherrinicholesherrinichole Registered Users Posts: 7
    I just want to clarify...I used the DevaCare No Poo this morning with the Giovanni conditioner and Ouidad gel. Should I not use them together?

This is all so confusing and there is so much information I am still not sure what to use or not use. Tomorrow should I just co-wash?
    In that case, I think kimmidawn is probably right- the combo of No-Poo with the Giovanni conditioner might be too much moisture. I would use the L'Oreal shampoo tomorrow to reset and try a lighter conditioner with No-Poo (what are you using when you co-wash with Suave?)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a/f/iii
    STYLE: Re:Coil, Curl Keeper, Deva Ultra Defining Gel, Curls Rock Amplifier,Sweet Curls Elixirs Okra Gel and Hard Hold Gel, SS Curl Enhancing Jelly and Firm Hold Gel
    It can definitely feel overwhelming at first. We've all been there :)

Eventually it really will all start to feel like second nature.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a/f/iii
    It is Suave Naturals Everlasting sunshine. Thanks SOOOO much for your help!
    Update: this morning I used the Loreal colorcare-sulfate free shampoo and followed with Suave Naturals conditioner which I rinsed out. I styled with Ouidad mouisturizing styling gel and it looks SO much better...and feels better too! It hasn't dried all the way yet but I can already tell it's going to be a better hair day.

So, should I do the co-wash tomorrow? Not sure what comes next :(
    I would try the co-wash with the lighter conditioner as your RO.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a/f/iii
  • 2BeOrNot2B2BeOrNot2B Registered Users Posts: 133
    My hair can tend to get weighed down too. I try to adjust what I use on my hair depending on how it looks when I get up.
    For example...if it's looking weighed down, flat, sort of "dirty", I wash it with a sulfate free shampoo.
    If it seems ok (meaning not limp, flat...gross) but seems to need moisture I will wet it and scrunch in a moisturizing hair pudding or a leave in conditioner.
    Or I will wash it with conditioner...I like Tresseme volumizing or moisturizing conditioners. I have to adjust what I do each day...that's what works for me but may not work for everyone.
    I have found that the CG method takes alot of trial and error. I have tried lots of different products and methods to get to a point where it seems to work for my hair.
    I have found some luck in finding my hair twins (those with same hair type, qualities etc) and trying the products/methods they use.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file