BS/ACV...harmful to hair?

I stumbled across this article and would like to know your thoughts. It's pretty biased, but it brings up some good arguments.

http://www.futurederm.com/2012/06/20/3-reasons-why-baking-soda-and-apple-cider-vinegar-destroy-your-hair-and-what-to-use-instead/

I've been using BS/ACV weekly for a little over a month now and my hair is thick and strong; however, time might prove me wrong on this one.

Comments

• jsuzkelleyjsuzkelley Registered Users Posts: 610 Curl Neophyte
    Interesting article - I'm going to ignore the chemical vs. natural argument (I think that's a matter of preference and what works best for the individual), and just respond to the question of BS and ACV as a daily routine. I'm no chemist, but I think the arguments re: ph level and lack of moisturizing ingredients in this routine are valid points. To me, a baking soda wash is like a clarifying shampoo - okay occasionally, but probably can be very drying/stripping if used too often or at too high a concentration. The ACV is supposed to be good at closing the cuticle, but I would think some kind of moisture is needed before that step. I don't personally use BS/ACV, but if you want to do this as a daily routine you might want to use a moisturizing conditioner between the BS and the ACV. I would just be careful.

Sent from my iPhone using CurlTalk
    2c/3a, botticelli/wavy/'swavy (huh?)
    fine, dense, normal porosity/elasticity, dry climate
    My favorite brands are Kinky Curly, As I am, Curly Kinks, Curl Junkie, and Darcy's Botanicals. Also love sealing with oils (loving argan oil right now) and styling with jelly products (KCCC is my current favorite). Mostly trying to keep it simple!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

CG since 12/29/2011 :laughing6:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file