BS/ACV frequency

UhLeashUhUhLeashUh Registered Users Posts: 25
How often is ok to wash with these? Is it excessive to do it 3 times a week?
Modified CG: 8.1.12
Hair: 2B/2C, Med Density, Coarse, Short
Products: L'Oreal EverSleek Conditioner, 365 Herbal Mint shampoo once a week and conditioner 2-3 times a week, Goddess curls gel, LA Looks Curl gel, satin pillowcase, microfiber towel

Comments

• ClaireAndLolaClaireAndLola Registered Users Posts: 22
    I think it depends on how diluted the BS/ACV is. In my experience (I only really "shampoo" with these) BS/ACV cleans my hair thoroughly, but if I do it more than every three days then my hair gets really dry and straw like...BS can be kind of harsh like that, I've noticed, especially when used in combination with the ACV.

I try to limit the uses to once or twice a week, and wash with water only in between if I need it. If I really need a good clean that WO can't do in between BS washes, I try to use something different, maybe even moisturizing, like egg yolks followed by ACV. I can't use these as a regular wash because they'll build up and make my hair greasy, but they are perfect for once in awhile, and therefore work nicely in between the more serious washes if I need it.
  • UhLeashUhUhLeashUh Registered Users Posts: 25
    I have looked all over this site to see how much of each item to mix together and I cannot find it. 1tbsp bs/how much co? How much acv/water?
    Modified CG: 8.1.12
    Hair: 2B/2C, Med Density, Coarse, Short
    Products: L'Oreal EverSleek Conditioner, 365 Herbal Mint shampoo once a week and conditioner 2-3 times a week, Goddess curls gel, LA Looks Curl gel, satin pillowcase, microfiber towel
  • earthnutsearthnuts Registered Users Posts: 41 Curl Neophyte
    UhLeashUh wrote: »
    I have looked all over this site to see how much of each item to mix together and I cannot find it. 1tbsp bs/how much co? How much acv/water?

1 Tbsp BS per cup water is a common recipe on the web, but I find that is much too harsh for my hair. I use 1 tsp BS per cup water. And rinse with 1 tsp vinegar per cup water. (which is about the pH your hair is supposed to be)

I only use BS occasionally as a clarifying treatment, for me 3 times a week is too harsh and drying. Even with my more dilute recipe. My upper limit for BS washes are no more than once a month, and for the vinegar it's every day. In practice, I use them as needed. Each about every few months.
    2c wurly silver & dark chocolate hair

Wash routine! 1-2 times a week: CO wash with Suave Coconut, leaving some in, plop, air-dry

Great for me!
     Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine, coconut oil, olive oil

Bad for me! Phenoxyethanol irritates scalp, Distearyldimonium Chloride & Quaternium-87 straighten hair

• ClaireAndLolaClaireAndLola Registered Users Posts: 22
    UhLeashUh wrote: »

I tend to use a little bit over a teaspoon of baking soda (I'm transitioning from very greasy hair) and anywhere between one and a half tsp. to maybe a tablespoon of ACV in a cup of cold water. I don't put the ACV on my scalp though, I find that it makes it too greasy. If your hair doesn't get greasy easily, it shouldn't be a problem, or if it is you could try a more highly diluted wash for your scalp.

Everyone's scalp is different though, so it might take awhile of experimenting and changing the measurements around a little bit to see what your scalp and hair likes.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file