CurlTalk

How are the curls in your crown?

The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,738Registered Users
I wonder if the curls in my crown are a different texture naturally (I know a lot of women have a different texture in the crown), or if they look so much nicer than most of the rest of my head because the crown gets the most moisture and least manipulation. I put my hair up or back a lot and the middle (crown) is never dry by the EOD. So the hair there is moisturized all day. And that's where my curls are most defined and least frizzy. OTOH the front is the first to dry out, not to mention it's the area that gets the most tension and frankly abuse. I use a lot of gel to slick my hair back and I've been known to use a boar bristle brush too.

Nature vs nurture, again. lol...For me, I think it's a combination of both.

What about you? Are the curls in your crown different than the rest of your head? If so, why do you think that is?
montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.

Comments

• Chicago KinksChicago Kinks Posts: 2,747Registered Users
    My crown is the worst. It is a very loose wave with no shrinkage. It frizzes at the slightest touch. Drives me cray.

...i'm supersonic
    **sophisticated ignorance, I type my cuss words in cursive**

Current Rotation (always changing): Curl Junkie Curl Rehab as my Leave-In, Blended Beauty Happy Nappy Styles, Entwine Argan Oil, Bobeam Shampoo Bars, QB CTDG and QB AHTB, UFD Curly Magic, B.A.S.K Anything.

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.platinumpj.com" class="Popup
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FPlatinumPJ" class="Popup
    @PlatinumPJ
  • gagirl09gagirl09 Posts: 2,316Registered Users
    Eff my crown.
    Last relaxer: Nov. 24, 2008
    BC: December 19, 2009
    Products: Whatever works!
  • Chicago KinksChicago Kinks Posts: 2,747Registered Users
    gagirl09 wrote: »
    Eff my crown.

*dead*

...i'm supersonic
    **sophisticated ignorance, I type my cuss words in cursive**

Current Rotation (always changing): Curl Junkie Curl Rehab as my Leave-In, Blended Beauty Happy Nappy Styles, Entwine Argan Oil, Bobeam Shampoo Bars, QB CTDG and QB AHTB, UFD Curly Magic, B.A.S.K Anything.

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.platinumpj.com" class="Popup
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FPlatinumPJ" class="Popup
    @PlatinumPJ
  • fefe912fefe912 Posts: 570Registered Users
    The curls in my crown are the ones I wish I had all over my head grrr. The back of my head is always the part that needs more work than the front half which can be super annoying. Only thing I hate about my crown is that my hair has thinned in that area I'm thinkin from when I used to wear sew ins too much.
  • adthomasadthomas Posts: 5,525Registered Users
    My crown curl pattern is pretty consistant with the rest of my hair but it is more prone to dryness and tangling. I have to apply more leave in there. Since I have been letting my hair grow I'm not getting as much lift in the crown and I hate that dead zone look so I tease it and even hold me head upside down and gently pull to create height.
    Yes, it's real. No, you can't touch it. :wav:
  • breathebreathe Posts: 399Registered Users
    My crown is the weakest part of my hair and is prone to frizz.:/
    big chop: 03/09/2010.
    modified cg.
    medium/coarse | dense | normal porosity | 4b/3c with random sprinkles of 4a.

• MaraloveMaralove Posts: 69Registered Users
    My crown is the roughest feeling part of my hair, the first area which would respond to protein (horribly), and ironically is usually one of (if not the) the longest sections of my hair! The curls there seem more like tiny waves and are beautiful if VERY well-moisturized and left alone. Otherwise, I'm saying hello to a frizzy halo mess!
    My hair tends to love: honey, oils, water, ceramides, dye ;)
    4s/3s kinks and curls. CG, Coarse and medium strands, Low and normal porosity, High Density.
  • SimplyGiiGiiSimplyGiiGii Posts: 5Registered Users
    The curls in my crown are very FINE but the thickest of all my curls. Usually I have to focus on this area the most on wash day to make sure it gets the moisture it needs. My crown makes my hair life 100000x harder. haha.
    Sulfate Free Shampoo- L'Oreal Evercreme Cleansing Condish

Condish/Leave-in- Trader Joes Nourish

Gel- Olive Oil Ecostyler

Styler- RON Whipped Hair Butter
  • AntoniaAntonia Posts: 68Registered Users
    The crown of my head is a very different texture than the rest of my hair. It is very apparent when wet or drying. The curls are a loose spiral staircase. I get a lot of tangles in the border between this part of my hair and the rest of my hair.
  • Jpop825Jpop825 Posts: 169Registered Users
    Eff my crown.

lol

Sent from my iPhone using CurlTalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Jpop825Jpop825 Posts: 169Registered Users
    I always thought it was crazy when I swore my crown was nearly straight by nature. I'm always told its the weight, which I'm sure has something to do with it but it can't be all. It's SO different than my nape and around my face, there it's tight tiny ringlets. Then the top/back are very loose waves. Especially on the left half

I'm lost on it. Makes me frustrated

Sent from my iPhone using CurlTalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ReekyReeky Posts: 1,323Registered Users
    My crown is the worst. It is a very loose wave with no shrinkage. It frizzes at the slightest touch. Drives me cray.

...i'm supersonic

this! my crown and kind of the back middle section of my hair is a super frizzy loose wave, even when soaking wet and the rest of my hair is curly. Like wth is u goin thru?
    dense, fine & porous curls |

Poo/Cowash| Bobeam, V05 Shea Cashmere
    DC| AOGPB, CJ Repair Me, BrownButterBeauty
    RinseOut| Mill Creek Keratin Conditioner, Ology Moisturizing Conditioner
    Leave In| Curl Rehab, Bee Mine Luscious Balanced Moisturizer, CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Moisturize|Oyin Hair Dew, CR Moisture Milk
    Gel| Kiss My Face UMG, Trader Joes Aloe Vera, KCCC
    Sealants| Aloe Juice, Whipped Shea, Cocoa & Mango Butters, Castor, & my Peanut Oil Blend =)
  • BlackAngelPlayahBlackAngelPlayah Posts: 1,419Registered Users
    Eff my crown.

This. LoL! It's course and a bit rough. Then the front is so thin my fro is like a balancing act. I fluff it out, the front just falls flat. A breeze flattens it! Annoying!

But it could be worse. :)

😜🍸Sent LIVE from my JPhone 4s using some CurlTalk app. 😜🍸

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2FAfroCurls.wordpress.com" class="Popup
    :afro:FroZen:afro:
  • KilajoKilajo Posts: 786Registered Users
    My crown is like the rest of my hair, curly, but it is thin in that area.

My daughter's on the other hand is thick but almost straight all the way from her crown to the front but the back is thick and super coily, shrinky.
    Sent from my PC36100 using CurlTalk App
  • Jo SomebodyJo Somebody Posts: 1,578Registered Users
    Frizz city. Or this.
    My hair is in the 4s, low in porosity, high in density and coarse. :happy6:

Love: QB - all of it, Bobeam - shampoo bars, Darcy's Botanicals - Pumpkin Seed Conditioner, Coconut Cupuacu Pomade, KBN - Shealoe Leave-in, Oyin - Juices & Berries, Kinky Curly - Knot Today, Ayurvedic treatments, my Denman and the cloud of kinky goodness on my head that I get to play with! :love8:
  • BronxJazzyBronxJazzy Posts: 19Registered Users
    My crown has fine loose curls. Its very easy to work with. The curls are defined no matter what I use. Even leave in conditioner defines this area. The only prob i have with it is its thin. i wish it were thicker but what can you do.
  • kurlygurlykurlygurly Posts: 644Registered Users
    The hair on my crown is finer, thinner and frizzes more easily. My lower half of my head is the strongest, shiniest, and has the most curl consistency.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    3b-ish... normal to low porosity....med. texture
    Wash: Desert Essence Coconut shampoo, Acure argon shampoo
    Deep Trestment: Nature's Nectars deep conditioner/styler
    Condition: Nature's Nectars luv-n-a-bottle, Nature's Gate pomegranate sunflower
    LEAVE-IN:Nature's Nectars luv-n-a-bottle, Natures Gate pomegranate sunflower
    STYLE: Nature's Nectars Sweet Shea butter blend, Ecostyler gel
    hemp oil, jojoba oil
    www.naturesnectars.net
  • Sunlit CurlsSunlit Curls Posts: 55Registered Users
    My crown hates me. Its wiry and hard to keep moisturized, its very fragile and will break if you look at it too hard. It frizzes just to piss me off. This is the same problem area from when I was relaxed. I used to get bumps on my scalp in that area but haven't in about a year and a half post big chop. I have no idea what to do with this area. The rest of my hair clumps, spirals/curls nicely, with the top/front being looser.

I'm on the never-ending search to figure out what will help in this area!
  • WumiWumi Posts: 185Registered Users
    I don't understand how it is small waves, not curls. I actually brush it and it lays flat so it hides the coils/curls that are under it. If I wet it, the waves are limp and curl on the end. When it dries, it turns into indistinguishable fuzz. ITA with whoever said "eff" the crown.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

No heat since August 2015 :)
  • sakiohmasakiohma Posts: 104Registered Users
    The texture on my crown area is devine. It soaks up moisture so easily, but it is a bit frizzy. If only I could say the same for the hair on the baxk of my head :( It's sooo dry.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using CurlTalk App
    TYPE 4 FINE/COARSE LOW POROSITY HIGH DENSITY
    TRANSITIONED: Since Dec 23, 2010 (I think...)
    BC DATE: July 23, 2013 (about 31 months)
    7/23/13 :: SL
    1/9/14 :: CBL
    5/13/14 :: APL

I :love1:Shea Moisture, Nubian Heritage, Camille Rose!
  • anonymous_114091anonymous_114091 Posts: 126Registered Users
    My crown seems to be tighter in texture than the rest of my hair. It also feels drier and becomes matted more easily.
    *BIG CHOP: September 22, 2012* :afro:
    *Last Relaxer: April 15, 2012* :p

event.png
  • mycurlytressesmycurlytresses Posts: 275Registered Users
    It has tighter, more defined curls. This area also gets sore ever so often and I don't know why. I have a twa so no protective styling that might be pulling it tight.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using CurlTalk App
    3C, CG Method, Low porosity, Low density, Medium Width

event.png

:afro:
  • naturalyogininaturalyogini Posts: 430Registered Users

...i'm supersonic
    +1. I can do a creamy conditioner wng on my hair but my crown needs a stiff gel otherwise it won't curl. It will just be wavy when wet and then frizz right up.

I get scalp pain sometimes. Mine feels like someone is yanking my hair. Sometimes I think it is from messing with my hair too much. But mostly it is an area where my curl is really tight. I had the same thing every so often when i was relaxed and a lot of newgrowth. What helps me is after the wide tooth detangling using a rattail on the roots and to help ease some the tightness on my scalp.
    I get scalp pain sometimes. Mine feels like someone is yanking my hair. Sometimes I think it is from messing with my hair too much. But mostly it is an area where my curl is really tight. I had the same thing every so often when i was relaxed and a lot of newgrowth. What helps me is after the wide tooth detangling using a rattail on the roots and to help ease some the tightness on my scalp.[/QUOTE]

I am doing CG and not using any tools. Will using my fingers help in place of the tool? Right now detangling is easy because it's so short.

uploadfromtaptalk1346016196861.jpg

event.png

Here's the crown.

uploadfromtaptalk1346016555767.jpg

event.png

• adthomasadthomas Posts: 5,525Registered Users
    I get scalp pain sometimes. Mine feels like someone is yanking my hair. Sometimes I think it is from messing with my hair too much. But mostly it is an area where my curl is really tight. I had the same thing every so often when i was relaxed and a lot of newgrowth. What helps me is after the wide tooth detangling using a rattail on the roots and to help ease some the tightness on my scalp.

I am doing CG and not using any tools. Will using my fingers help in place of the tool? Right now detangling is easy because it's so short.

uploadfromtaptalk1346016196861.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using CurlTalk App[/QUOTE]

Not sure. I'm not someone who can only use my fingers. I need a comb at least once a week for the shed hairs.
  • NaturalfinallyNaturalfinally Posts: 516Registered Users
    My crown is thin, fine, wavy and slightly longer then the rest of my hair. It makes ALL of my WnGs a challenge. I've been working on thickening it up for a while. I think that my obsessive use of henna may have exasperated the "no curls-just waves" situation. Also slick buns haven't helped either. Oh well.
    BC'ed - Jan 09
    Hair Type: 4A-3C Crown
    Hair Texture: Fine, Thin
    Hair Density: Medium - Thin Crown
    Porosity: Low
    Co-wash: Sauve Coconut and/or Clarifying, Trader Joe's Nourish Spa
    Leave-In: GDLI, YTCLI, KBB, KCNT
    Moisturizers: QBRBC, KBB, Glycerin, SMCS,SMDM
    DT: AOGPB, AOBGA, GEPT, TJNS, YTC, Henna, Alma, Brahmi, Maka, Tulsi, Kalpori
    Sealant: EVOO, Jojoba, Grapeseed, JBCO, Herbal Oil - Hesh Herbal Oils

** Psalms 14:1 The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God.*** :angel11:
  • crimsonpeachcrimsonpeach Posts: 50Registered Users
    My crown is courser and drier than the rest of my hair. I have breakage there also but it remains the longest part of my hair.

I'm willing to bet part of the problem is the quality of my water. The breakage is right where the water hits me in the shower. I'm getting a shower filter to test my theory.
  • Velvet DreamerVelvet Dreamer Posts: 7Registered Users
    My crown is straight. Annoying as all get out. That does not blend at all.