CurlTalk

I bought these for my birthday ...

NejNej Posts: 2,444Registered Users
I acknowledge they are ridiculous but the heart wants what it wants. I'm planning to wear them to school with skinnies/leggings and an oversized sweater. They feel like running shoes but are edgy enough that I still feel put together and 'fashiony', which is important to me.

I'm debating returning them, not because I don't love them, but because they were pricey and I can see them going out of trend fast and I'm debating using the money for something more *ugh* practical. Plus I know lots of 'friends' will make fun of me and I'm not sure I'm far enough along in my journey to be okay with that.

Thoughts?

STYLEBOP.com | Slate Brown Wedge Sneakers by MARC BY MARC JACOBS | the latest trends from the capitals of the world
anigif_enhanced-buzz-2027-1364839025-19.gif

Comments

  • SariaSaria Posts: 15,963Registered Users
    So, around $400 for basically high-tops? I mean, if it's what you want and you can afford it, it's your money. I wouldn't do it, but that's me.
    I also don't think they look much different than if you wore sneakers, but I might be wrong.
    por-que-no-te-callas.jpg
  • NejNej Posts: 2,444Registered Users
    Saria wrote: »
    So, around $400 for basically high-tops? I mean, if it's what you want and you can afford it, it's your money. I wouldn't do it, but that's me.
    I also don't think they look much different than if you wore sneakers, but I might be wrong.

    They have a hidden 3 inch heel, so I still feel fancy when I wear them :love5: and are comfy like a runner
    anigif_enhanced-buzz-2027-1364839025-19.gif
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,495Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Personally, I think they are extremely unattractive, price aside. But I totally support your decision to buy them if you like them. Enjoy! I hope you have a great bday!

  • kaybkayb Posts: 5,054Registered Users
    I like the style (I've always liked High Tops) but not the material. I also think it's too much. You are better off with a pair of Air Force Ones.
    I ain't thirsty. There's plenty of fish in the sea, but I don't want all of them, can I have some standards? Or do we just have to settle, for someone's who meh and will do.
    "
  • JosephineJosephine Posts: 14,175Registered Users
    I can't see them :(
  • AmnerisAmneris Posts: 15,117Registered Users
    I actually don't mind them and kind of like the look shown, but to me at this point in my life, $400 is not something I'd spend on sneakers/casual shoes. $400 is a pair of boots that can be worn to work or to go out, or a beautiful coat to wear everywhere, or a good suit for work, or a timeless evening dress, or a good bag for work, or some gorgeous real gold jewellry or... you get the picture. I guess it depends how you are financially or how you want to allocate your money. If being fashion-y is important to you, I'd get something more versatile that can be used for dressy situations as well and get more bang for your buck. I know I have seen similar shoes to that that are not a designer brand that are much cheaper, because I was considering getting some too.
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali


    .png


    534Pm5.png





  • medussamedussa Posts: 12,993Registered Users
    Amneris wrote: »
    I actually don't mind them and kind of like the look shown, but to me at this point in my life, $400 is not something I'd spend on sneakers/casual shoes. $400 is a pair of boots that can be worn to work or to go out, or a beautiful coat to wear everywhere, or a good suit for work, or a timeless evening dress, or a good bag for work, or some gorgeous real gold jewellry or... you get the picture. I guess it depends how you are financially or how you want to allocate your money. If being fashion-y is important to you, I'd get something more versatile that can be used for dressy situations as well and get more bang for your buck.

    I agree with Amneris.

    ETA: Happy birthday!!!
  • SariaSaria Posts: 15,963Registered Users
    I agree that I can see why you like them. Before the photo showed, I was cringing at the words "wedge sneaker", but they're not bad-looking. They're like high tops crossed with casual lace-up booties. I don't think they look worth the price at all, though.
    por-que-no-te-callas.jpg
  • sleepymekosleepymeko Posts: 1,002Registered Users
    If you love them then keep them. Who cares what people think :D sometimes it's nice to treat yourself to high-priced items.
    Check out my personal blog :afro:



    s-event.png
  • cmb4314cmb4314 Posts: 984Registered Users
    We all have our vices. If this is yours and it makes you happy, and you can afford it, go for it.

    Spending that much for shoes is unfathomable to me. Then again, I'll drop a lot more on nice restaurants than most people.

    It says something about my extreme practicality that the only shoes I own that cost more than $100 are my running shoes, and the only reason I spend that much on them is because if I don't, I'll end up with running injuries.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using CurlTalk App
  • DedachanDedachan Posts: 1,644Registered Users
    I think they're alright. And if you like a trend, join in. Ain't nothing wrong with that.

    As for how much to spend on a pair of shoes, it depends on your disposable income and how much they mean to you. None of us are qualified to decide.
  • BlackbanjogirlBlackbanjogirl Banned Posts: 227Banned Users
    Daggone. It's good to know someone still has $ in this country. :pl: I bought a $30 handbag for my bday and thought that was too much.
    "Your plan will have new or expanded coverage for the following services, drugs, and supplies for women, which will be paid 100% (note: by whom, is the question) when you visit a network provider:

    -Prescription contraceptives and counseling for women
    -Counseling for sexually transmitted infections
    -Permanent surgical contraception (sterilization)"
    --Quoted from my Anthem insurance letter, October 25, 2012

    Obama - for a woman's right to sterilize (esp when it becomes mandatory)!
  • AmnerisAmneris Posts: 15,117Registered Users
    ^^^^^^^ she's Canadian. What country are you in?

    I don't see why they're "ridiculous" or why your friends would make fun of them, either.
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali


    .png


    534Pm5.png





  • BlackbanjogirlBlackbanjogirl Banned Posts: 227Banned Users
    Oh, I thought she was American. My bad. Well, it's good to know someone in this world has some $. I didn't mean to be offensive or anything. It's just that incredulous from where I'm standing. I wish I had money. :-( That's more than my monthly rent, BTW....
    "Your plan will have new or expanded coverage for the following services, drugs, and supplies for women, which will be paid 100% (note: by whom, is the question) when you visit a network provider:

    -Prescription contraceptives and counseling for women
    -Counseling for sexually transmitted infections
    -Permanent surgical contraception (sterilization)"
    --Quoted from my Anthem insurance letter, October 25, 2012

    Obama - for a woman's right to sterilize (esp when it becomes mandatory)!
  • PoPo Posts: 2,607Registered Users
    Happy birthday! :toothy7:

    If you can afford it, I say go for it!

    I've seen uglier footwear on this forum than those sneakers! :thumright:
    3c/4a
  • irociroc Posts: 7,890Registered Users
    Well, since you asked...

    I would never pay $400 - or the ballpark of - for footwear. The idea is completely ridiculous.

    That's my only thought.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using CurlTalk App
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • JosephineJosephine Posts: 14,175Registered Users
    Nej wrote: »
    I acknowledge they are ridiculous but the heart wants what it wants. I'm planning to wear them to school with skinnies/leggings and an oversized sweater. They feel like running shoes but are edgy enough that I still feel put together and 'fashiony', which is important to me.

    I'm debating returning them, not because I don't love them, but because they were pricey and I can see them going out of trend fast and I'm debating using the money for something more *ugh* practical. Plus I know lots of 'friends' will make fun of me and I'm not sure I'm far enough along in my journey to be okay with that.

    Thoughts?

    STYLEBOP.com | Slate*Brown*Wedge*Sneakers*by*MARC*BY*MARC*JACOBS | the latest trends from the capitals of the world

    If you love them, you shouldn't return them. The whole point of a gift to yourself is not that it's practical but something you really want and splurge on. Those seem more practical than other things I can think of. They are black and probably go with a lot of things you have. Even if they don't so what. And they are comfy and high and fashiony at the same time. Obviously they won't be 'fashiony' to someone with a different style.

    I have some dkny wedge sneakers(but they look a bit less casual) that I bought over the winter and I love them. In fact I might wear them tomorrow to the falcons game if it's not too hot.
  • NejNej Posts: 2,444Registered Users
    I think I'm going to keep them in the box and thin about them and see if I can find anything else. I have a lot of nice heels and boots but no real in between footwear except for my Uggs. I wanted a heel that is comfortable enough to wear all day to school and about. I tried on many a cheaper pair and while I liked the look of some of them, they were not all day comfortable. I tend to splurge on shoes because a nice comfortable shoe is necessary.

    My hobby is fashion and collecting clothes etc so any fun money tends to get put aside for that


    Sent from my iPhone - blame autocorrect for everything strange
    anigif_enhanced-buzz-2027-1364839025-19.gif
  • JosephineJosephine Posts: 14,175Registered Users
    Nej wrote: »
    I think I'm going to keep them in the box and thin about them and see if I can find anything else. I have a lot of nice heels and boots but no real in between footwear except for my Uggs. I wanted a heel that is comfortable enough to wear all day to school and about. I tried on many a cheaper pair and while I liked the look of some of them, they were not all day comfortable. I tend to splurge on shoes because a nice comfortable shoe is necessary.

    Yea, comfort is definitely worth it, especially for something you are walking around in all day. For me I'd rather spend more on something like that than dressy heels or boots that you most likely are only going to wear at night. Although I still spend a lot on my dancing heels because I like to look sexy and be as comfy as possible.
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 11,970Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    If you love them and are lusting after them and they are comfy and it's your birthday - yes!!!

    Will they make you smile when you remember that you treated yourself to that present - yes!!!

    If it's going to make you anxious or unhappy because of financial concerns - no.

    I like them. They don't look ridiculous to me and if you buy them and your friends make fun of you, maybe they are jealous.

    :occasion4: You deserve a treat.
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • NejNej Posts: 2,444Registered Users
    curlypearl wrote: »
    If you love them and are lusting after them and they are comfy and it's your birthday - yes!!!

    Will they make you smile when you remember that you treated yourself to that present - yes!!!

    If it's going to make you anxious or unhappy because of financial concerns - no.

    I like them. They don't look ridiculous to me and if you buy them and your friends make fun of you, maybe they are jealous.

    :occasion4: You deserve a treat.

    Thanks Cp :) I love them and have decided to keep them.

    Sometimes I dress to be pretty and sexy, other times I dress to be interesting or cool and that's FIIIIIIIINE with me! Some of my favourite outfits are defintiely not created to be practical or get male attention. Sometimes looking interesting makes me much much happier. :nike:
    anigif_enhanced-buzz-2027-1364839025-19.gif
  • claudine19claudine19 Posts: 4,486Registered Users
    I would like to add that I'm extremely disappointed that the t-shirt is sold out. That is right up my alley.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dogs and nature abhor a vacuum.
    http://geaugadoggy.wordpress.com
  • sleepymekosleepymeko Posts: 1,002Registered Users
    I say keep them. I don't see a problem paying $400 for shoes. If you got the $$$ then buy it IMHO. I've bought $200 shoes and don't see a problem buying Louboutins as a tax return gift to myself so I don't have the most practical advice.

    But if it makes you feel good, then go for it! I mean, dang... I just bought a brush set ($100+) and professional makeup. It's nice to treat yourself because it makes you feel special!
    Check out my personal blog :afro:



    s-event.png