No volume, at all

UhLeashUhUhLeashUh Registered Users Posts: 25
Here's my routine lately and I can't figure out why my hair is falling flat by lunch time every day. I want more volume.

I only shampoo once a week and I've been using Whole Foods brand Herbal Mint shampoo & conditioner. The rest of the week, I co-wash with either the Whole Foods conditioner or the sulfate free L'oreal conditioner. I scrub my scalp with the pads of my fingers for a very long time and then rinse it out with my head upside down.

I wrap my hair in a microfiber towel and let it soak up the water while I get ready. I remove the towel, work in some conditioner as a leave-in (usually the opposite of what I co-washed with) and style. I've tried a bunch of different products. LA Looks curl gel, Goddess curl gel, Carol's Daughter, KCCC, and some non-CG products like Suave captivating curls and some serums.

I always let my hair air dry and I've tried doing the clips at the roots to lift the hair, but it doesn't work in the long run.

I'd appreciate any feedback.
Modified CG: 8.1.12
Hair: 2B/2C, Med Density, Coarse, Short
Products: L'Oreal EverSleek Conditioner, 365 Herbal Mint shampoo once a week and conditioner 2-3 times a week, Goddess curls gel, LA Looks Curl gel, satin pillowcase, microfiber towel

Comments

• DepressedCurlsDepressedCurls Registered Users Posts: 836
    Just from what you said, nothing directly stands out that could be thr culprit of your hair falling flat. All i could suggest you check is how heavy your leave in conditioner is, and as your hair is drying flip it and put a slight bit of hair spray on your finger tips and shake near your roots with your fingers eased in there. Maybe the clips are giving you temporary volume because they don't give hold at all. They just hold it up and allow the hair to sit up a little. Maybe this will work? Sorry if it doesn't help!
  • UhLeashUhUhLeashUh Registered Users Posts: 25
    Thanks! Do you have a hairspray to recommend? Is there a hairspray that is CG?
    Products: L'Oreal EverSleek Conditioner, 365 Herbal Mint shampoo once a week and conditioner 2-3 times a week, Goddess curls gel, LA Looks Curl gel, satin pillowcase, microfiber towel
  • ElizabethFaithElizabethFaith Registered Users Posts: 429
    I'm bumping this thread. Hopefully, someone will know the answer to your question! :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Curly and PROUD!!!

My hair has a mix of low/med/high porosity, and it's medium textured (some are still fine, though!)

CG since Sept. 2011
    Cowash: Vo5/Suave Naturals/Tresemme Naturals*
    RO/LI: GVPCB*, Tresemme Naturals*
    Low-poo: Shea Moisture Moisture Retention
    Stylers: KCKT*, Coconut Oil, Olive Oil, Grapeseed Oil, Honey*

* represents my HGs!!! Finally!!!
  • ElizabethFaithElizabethFaith Registered Users Posts: 429
    There's a thread in the 3a forum that discusses hairspray recommendations! You could check that out!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Curly and PROUD!!!

My hair has a mix of low/med/high porosity, and it's medium textured (some are still fine, though!)

CG since Sept. 2011
    Cowash: Vo5/Suave Naturals/Tresemme Naturals*
    RO/LI: GVPCB*, Tresemme Naturals*
    Low-poo: Shea Moisture Moisture Retention
    Stylers: KCKT*, Coconut Oil, Olive Oil, Grapeseed Oil, Honey*

* represents my HGs!!! Finally!!!
    Thanks. Today I had to cave and wash my hair with non CG shampoo. So much build up and so flat. Sadly, it didn't seem to make a difference. I'm going to try ACV tonight, maybe I'm lacking volume because my hair is full of build-up. :confused5:
  • FmasuhrFmasuhr Registered Users Posts: 1,354 Curl Neophyte
    while your hair is drying, try (really gently!) flipping your hair upside down and (gently!) shaking your head. i have naturally tones of volume, though unless i do that my hair tends to dry flat as well

my hair: 3b, high porosity, high density and coarse hair (i think i finally figured that all out)
    my hair loves conditioner only styling!
    Oils and my own procuts are my hairs best friend
    my hair goal length is bra strap length when curly.
    :hello1:
    Today I used a diffuser on low for a few minutes and that seems to have helped with volume, but now it's frizzy. I can't seem to figure this out.
  • granolamommiegranolamommie Registered Users Posts: 5
    I actually have the same problem. I use hairspray and have to handle and plump throughout the day.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file