loosen curl pattern of roots?

jazmyn.duckejazmyn.ducke Registered Users Posts: 4
i have medium length, medium to coarse width, veeeery high density, medium porosity hair with a 4b-a curl pattern at the roots and 4a-3c everywhere else (some areas along the front of my hairline are a 3b curl pattern past the roots) and i want to loosen my curl pattern at my roots. i have, based on others accounts, "beautiful hair" but i hate to wear it unstraightened because of how nappy it is at the roots makes it so unmanageable. i know some girls curl pattern loosens/deteriorates after lots of straightening but ive been straightening my hair for 10+ years (half with a hot comb, half with a flat iron) and i havent lost any kink...which i suppose is a good thing! but what can i do/products can i use to loosen the curl pattern just at the roots? i would like the end result to be 3b or 3c...at the roots. the rest of my hair is just fine.

in the picture ive attached, the roots literally RIGHT along my edges dont look so bad because its not as thick along my hairline as it is once you get past it. you can kind of see all the different curling patterns that im dealing with. thats my hair 5-10 mins after washing. once its had time to dry it gets really huge and ridiculous

Comments

• MixedGoldiLocksMixedGoldiLocks Registered Users Posts: 63
    This is happening because you've flat ironed your hair do much, it loosened the curls. It happens. Your natural roots are just growing back. :) my cousin is like that . BUT if u want to loosen it? Flat iron the roots more. Sure, it's not the best thing, but it will match the rest of ur hair :)
  • soleilmoncursoleilmoncur Registered Users Posts: 1,194
    Your hair is heat damaged and your roots is what your natural texture would be if you did not straighten. Heat damaged hair doesn't have to mean straight or breaking hair, it's essentially the lossening or changing of your curl pattern by heat and that is pretty much what you did. If you truly want to further loosen your curl pattern you can continue what you do now which is flat iron. You just need to concentrate on the roots. This would create further heat damage and loosen your curl pattern. I think any harsh process of chemical or heat on hair is unpredictable so your roots may end up kinkier or straigther than the rest of your hair at the end of the day.

I would say do not add any chemical to your hair the way it is. It's heat damaged, and you may cause serious damage and lose some of your length afterwards.

HTH.

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G Slide using CurlTalk App
    3c/4aish, high porosity, fine strands,medium density cottony curls.

LOVES: (editing)

Save $10
    off your order at Vitacost by clicking here for a code.

I'm not obsessed: I just LOVE my hair!!

event.png

um_no-vi.gif

• adthomasadthomas Registered Users Posts: 5,525 Curl Neophyte
    I agree. Before I finished reading your post I was thinking you have serious heat damage. Some people do it to their hair on purpose. There is a lady on YT who calls it "heat training".

Me. I would have an absolute fit and probably bc if I fried my hair.
    Yes, it's real. No, you can't touch it. :wav:
  • soleilmoncursoleilmoncur Registered Users Posts: 1,194
    adthomas wrote: »
    I agree. Before I finished reading your post I was thinking you have serious heat damage. Some people do it to their hair on purpose. There is a lady on YT who calls it "heat training".

Me. I would have an absolute fit and probably bc if I fried my hair.

I killed my porosity with color and the only reason why I haven't bc'ed is because it looks the same as it did before color, but when its wet it looks like a wet cat and now I refuse to color again. I'm growing it out but I know better for next time!

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G Slide using CurlTalk App
    3c/4aish, high porosity, fine strands,medium density cottony curls.

LOVES: (editing)

Save $10
    off your order at Vitacost by clicking here for a code.

I'm not obsessed: I just LOVE my hair!!

event.png

um_no-vi.gif

• jazmyn.duckejazmyn.ducke Registered Users Posts: 4
    thanks for all the replies ladies but nothing anyone has said has offered any help for what i need. obviously, if ive been using heat on my hair once a week for 10+ years its damaged...this i know...all i asked is WHAT CAN I DO TO LOOSEN MY ROOTS? obviously what ive been doing isnt helping since ive been doing it for 10+ years and i still have the problem. please dont reply with obvious info/"answers" if you dont have a real suggestion it doesnt help at all.
    i have no complaints about any parts of my hair (except that maybe the curl pattern isnt the same all over but i know what i need to do to fix that and im not willing to do that) except for the roots. i love that its "curly" but i dont want it AS curly and i DEFINITELY DO NOT want it straight. i just want my roots a little looser so my entire head of hair will be manageable when its not straightened.
  • Chicago KinksChicago Kinks Registered Users Posts: 2,748 Curl Novice
    No need in being snippy and snarky....there is a straightening forum for these types of questions.

Texlax it, texturize it....but there is no "wonder" product. Some salons do a mixture 3parts conditioner to 1part relaxer...they call it a softening treatment.

...i'm supersonic
    **sophisticated ignorance, I type my cuss words in cursive**

Current Rotation (always changing): Curl Junkie Curl Rehab as my Leave-In, Blended Beauty Happy Nappy Styles, Entwine Argan Oil, Bobeam Shampoo Bars, QB CTDG and QB AHTB, UFD Curly Magic, B.A.S.K Anything.

http://www.platinumpj.com
    http://www.facebook.com/PlatinumPJ
    @PlatinumPJ
  • MixedGoldiLocksMixedGoldiLocks Registered Users Posts: 63
    No need to be rude ._. If you don't like your hair, then get it texturized . There's also this product called EXTENZZ and it loosens ur curls without chemicals, and you can loosen it to any curl you want. Look it up on YouTube
    No need to be rude ._. If you don't like your hair, then get it texturized . There's also this product called EXTENZZ and it loosens ur curls without chemicals, and you can loosen it to any curl you want. Look it up on YouTube

no need to be obvious in responses either but thank for making an actual suggestion with the "extenzz"
    i checked out other forums from other sites and im thinking im going to try henna as it apparently has been found to do what i need for others with my hair type AND it will dye my hair...killing 2 birds with 1 stone is always a WIN!
  • Jo SomebodyJo Somebody Registered Users Posts: 1,578 Curl Neophyte
    Lol! Seriously?? 'obviously what ive been doing isnt helping since ive been doing it for 10+ years...' No dear, you haven't been heat damaging your roots for 10+ years because your roots are new. You roots will always be the newest hair, so will always be kinkier. If you want your roots to be like the rest of the mess on your head, then keep straightening it with high heat.

Now, can someone help me with my problem. Every month I paint my nails, but by the end of the month the base is plain/normal and only the ends are coloured! I've tried all different brands and even a good topcoat, but the base of my nails never matches the rest! What can I do to stop this happening or make my nails stay all one colour forever?? I've been painting my nails monthly for 20+ years, so I don't know why the base doesn't match. Anybody...?
    My hair is in the 4s, low in porosity, high in density and coarse. :happy6:

Love: QB - all of it, Bobeam - shampoo bars, Darcy's Botanicals - Pumpkin Seed Conditioner, Coconut Cupuacu Pomade, KBN - Shealoe Leave-in, Oyin - Juices & Berries, Kinky Curly - Knot Today, Ayurvedic treatments, my Denman and the cloud of kinky goodness on my head that I get to play with! :love8:
  • newseasonnewseason Registered Users Posts: 98
    Lol! Seriously?? 'obviously what ive been doing isnt helping since ive been doing it for 10+ years...' No dear, you haven't been heat damaging your roots for 10+ years because your roots are new. You roots will always be the newest hair, so will always be kinkier. If you want your roots to be like the rest of the mess on your head, then keep straightening it with high heat.

Now, can someone help me with my problem. Every month I paint my nails, but by the end of the month the base is plain/normal and only the ends are coloured! I've tried all different brands and even a good topcoat, but the base of my nails never matches the rest! What can I do to stop this happening or make my nails stay all one colour forever?? I've been painting my nails monthly for 20+ years, so I don't know why the base doesn't match. Anybody...?

LOL!!! Exactly!
  • subbrocksubbrock Registered Users Posts: 8,212
    If you're talking about Extenzz by Curly Hair Solutions, it doesn't loosen your texture to any curl type you want. It just reduces shrinkage.

My hair has a similar looking issue, mine isn't heat or chemical damage though. I think it's from bunning. I don't know. Thoughts anybody? I don't use heat or chemicals.... but anywho, when I use extenzz my roots are still tighter than the length of my hair.

Blame it on the cell phone...
    newseason wrote: »

LOL!!! Exactly!

neither of you @$$holes had to respond to my post AT ALL. you can keep your responses and save your rudeness for someone else. we're all here for HELP, not for people like you to be asses!
  • ElizabethFaithElizabethFaith Registered Users Posts: 429
    There is no need to get so worked up about this. They were just trying to help. Giving more information about what you already know about your hair should be included in your original post. If someone misunderstands the question, then you should calmly address it in a professional manner. No one should have to use harsh language to get their point across. But in regards to your question, nothing will really loosen your roots, because your true texture is beginning to grow out. Braid, twist, and Bantu knot outs may help. The Extenzz should work, but other than that and texlax/texturizing, I don't know. Hope I helped a bit!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Curly and PROUD!!!

My hair has a mix of low/med/high porosity, and it's medium textured (some are still fine, though!)

CG since Sept. 2011
    Cowash: Vo5/Suave Naturals/Tresemme Naturals*
    RO/LI: GVPCB*, Tresemme Naturals*
    Low-poo: Shea Moisture Moisture Retention
    Stylers: KCKT*, Coconut Oil, Olive Oil, Grapeseed Oil, Honey*

* represents my HGs!!! Finally!!!
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    BE COURTEOUS. BE TOLERANT. You're about to encounter many new friends in our community, with many new and interesting viewpoints. Please be respectful and tolerant of everyone you meet, even if you disagree with their opinions. Don't use language that is threatening, abusive, harassing, hateful or racially or ethnically objectionable. And don't engage in personal attacks. This includes NaturallyCurly.com staff, who work hard to keep our Community a fun place.
    [/QUOTE]i know some girls curl pattern loosens/deteriorates after lots of straightening but ive been straightening my hair for 10+ years (half with a hot comb, half with a flat iron) and i havent lost any kink...which i suppose is a good thing! ![/QUOTE]

First of all I don't know why you got snarky with us for saying you had heat damage when in your original post you said you HADN'T LOST ANY KINK. Then you turn around and contradict yourself after we said you had heat damage by saying we weren't telling you something you didn't already know. Which is it? I think you're just mad because we told you the truth. If you don't want to hear the truth then don't ask questions in 4a. Not to mention before you got nasty, someone told you to start flat ironing your roots which obviously you didn't take the time to read. I told you about the woman on Youtube who does heat training videos thinking you could figure out that you could go on there you can learn how to heat train your hair. Obviously, I gave you too much credit. But hey, you can only lead a horse to water.

But to come on here and start calling out of their people out their names!!! Where do you get off telling people where they can or cannot comment post. Last I heard the moderators run this joint. If you don't like what what is said then I'm sure both you and your scraggly ends will have no trouble finding the door.
    :spiderman::spiderman::spiderman::spiderman::spiderman::spiderman::spiderman::spiderman::spiderman::spiderman::spiderman::spiderman::spiderman::spiderman::spiderman::spiderman::spiderman::spiderman:
  • beetle87beetle87 Registered Users Posts: 136
    From the pic, your hair is obviously heat trained. Common sense would dictate that you will have to continuously use heat on your roots so it can gradually loosen as your ends have done.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • beetle87beetle87 Registered Users Posts: 136
    And there are some heat training vids on yt.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Chicago KinksChicago Kinks Registered Users Posts: 2,748 Curl Novice
    Common sense isn't one of her strong points...she came on here asking that dumbass question and then got mad when we didn't give her 4a's magic potion recipe to grow 3B hair. Get on with this here bullisht.

Silly season has officially begun.

...i'm supersonic
    **sophisticated ignorance, I type my cuss words in cursive**

Current Rotation (always changing): Curl Junkie Curl Rehab as my Leave-In, Blended Beauty Happy Nappy Styles, Entwine Argan Oil, Bobeam Shampoo Bars, QB CTDG and QB AHTB, UFD Curly Magic, B.A.S.K Anything.

http://www.platinumpj.com
    http://www.facebook.com/PlatinumPJ
    @PlatinumPJ
  • prentonneprentonne Registered Users Posts: 163
    maybe a brazilian blowout or one of those keratin treatments will work for you. I don't process but I think these things work to make curls more loose.
  • ss40ss40 Registered Users Posts: 1,790 Curl Neophyte
    Since you are no stranger to heat, twist your wet hair & blow dry your roots a little. Then unravel. Now by no means am I giving you healthy hair advice. But you didn't come here for that now did you?

I' cashing out
    :nike:About my hair:
    weekly shampoo-HE Honey I'm Strong
    daily conditioner-HE Honey I'm Strong (use as li)
    go to style-Pocahontas braids
  • newseasonnewseason Registered Users Posts: 98
    newseason wrote: »

LOL!!! Exactly!

neither of you @$$holes had to respond to my post AT ALL. you can keep your responses and save your rudeness for someone else. we're all here for HELP, not for people like you to be asses!

Umm hold up. First of all you need to get a grip. You have no right calling people names or getting rude or ignorant with people because you don't like the responses or someone laughed at your poor behavior/temper tantrum. If you cannot handle that, I suggest you go somewhere else or come correct at people. Grow up! You are the one who is asking for help. So either ask the question correctly (seeing that no one is obligated in answering you at all) or leave, but stop being childish because you haven't heard what you want to hear. And the answer is not going to change-- the only way to loosen (straighten) you roots is with some kind of chemical or treatment. So it's up to you what you think your hair/scalp can handle (relaxer/texturizer/flat ironing). And FYI the bickering stops here. Have a good day.
  • PearlsForCurlsPearlsForCurls Registered Users Posts: 86
    My question to you is why would you want to continue to damage your hair for the sake of a looser curl pattern? The thought makes me cringe. You clearly are 4a/b all over with patches of heat damage. Your 'unmanageable scalp' is clearly trying to tell you something; that that is how your hair is meant to be all over. Keep in mind that if you attempt to relax/texturize your roots, as you wash it out it will process the already damaged ends as well, making a bigger mess.

The only advice I can give you, (which goes against everything I stand for) is to keep heat damaging your hair for that looser pattern you want.

*cringe*
    Transitioned from Dec 2011-Jul 2012

Now fully natural!:thumbright:

One year anniversary: Dec 28, 2012

Curl Type: The type that curls kinkily.
    Products: Tresemme Naturals, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle Condit., Coconut Oil

"Wait, I'm doing it wrong!"
  • subbrocksubbrock Registered Users Posts: 8,212
    My question to you is why would you want to continue to damage your hair for the sake of a looser curl pattern?

Answer: self hate

Blame it on the cell phone...
  • BlackAngelPlayahBlackAngelPlayah Registered Users Posts: 1,419 Curl Neophyte
    I must be psychic. I knew this is how this topic was gonna go. SMH.

In the future, all "texture loosening" topics should be posted in the Straightening forum. I know you want it loose, not straight, but you're likely to get a "helpful" answer there than here for such a topic. :)

Good luck.

😜🍸Sent LIVE from my JPhone 4s using some CurlTalk app. 😜🍸

http://AfroCurls.wordpress.com
    :afro:FroZen:afro:
    I must be psychic. I knew this is how this topic was gonna go. SMH.

In the future, all "texture loosening" topics should be posted in the Straightening forum. I know you want it loose, not straight, but you're likely to get a "helpful" answer there than here for such a topic. :)

Good luck.

😜🍸Sent LIVE from my JPhone 4s using some CurlTalk app. 😜🍸

http://AfroCurls.wordpress.com

I think people here were trying to be helpful before she made it nasty with her comment. Common sense should tell a person that to go from 4a 4b to a 3b then you either have to either put a chemical ( relaxer or bkt or whatever) in it or fry the hell out of your hair to heat train/damage it. I don't think going to the straight section will yield any other responses but I wish her all the best. And I can't wait to see this henna that will take you from 4b to 3b.
  • CerendipityCerendipity Registered Users Posts: 5,091 Curl Novice
    Nothing_nice_to_say_by_calsilver.jpg
  • LovemenappyLovemenappy Registered Users Posts: 332
    You did get helpful answers. Keep heat damaging your roots as they grow in. You're just not as nearly as informed about hair care so you aren't able to appreciate the advice that you've been provided with. Naturallycurly is a hair forum...not answers yahoo. You can't control what people post...the advice they provide or the existance of a thread once you post it, and you can't be rude or nasty towards people for no apparent reason.

Keep heat damaging your roots as they grow in or texturize it. Henna is not a replacement for heat damged hair or texturizers and even if you use henna you will still have to constantly do your roots no different than you heat damaging. You won't be satisfied anyway because henna is not capable of turning 4a/b hair to 3a/3b....for what you want it most likely won't work. Unfortunately God didn't give you hair that grows loosely from your scalp so you'll have to either get over it or take the helpful advice provided to you above.
  • NstinctiVnaturNstinctiVnatur Registered Users Posts: 127
    LoL at the "screws loose" tag for this post! My first thought when reading the original post was "uh oh, troll!"

If she does use henna and it does loosen her pattern...doesn't she realize the ends will be even more loosened therefore the different patterns will still be visible? Unless of course one hennas just their roots :shock:

That's to say if henna did loosen curl pattern significantly, of course.
    Never:love5: relaxed
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Experimenting in creating my own products.
  • Nour.elhoudaNour.elhouda Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 1 Curl Neophyte
    Hi my hair is curly type 3B, medium density and fine. Since 3 months i am experiencing loss of curl pattern on the roots like ( 3-4 inches) only on the front part of my hair and it's a bit coarse and dry and the bottom is curly i was wondering why and how i can fix it ?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file