How do I know if the conditioner. I'm using is the right one?

PinkstewartPinkstewart Registered Users Posts: 15
I'm on my first week of co-washing, currently using the lime Vo5 conditioner. What I want to know is, how do I know I'm using the right conditioner? I read some posts where people said they tried a ton of them before they found the right one. But if it's going to take up to a month for my hair to get used to the co-washing, how will I know if its the conditioner or just my hair adjusting?

Comments

• darkbeautyttdarkbeautytt Registered Users Posts: 448
    I would like to know too

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using CurlTalk App
  • bringingcurliesback?bringingcurliesback? Registered Users Posts: 1,308 Curl Neophyte
    Well, I think it depends on what exactly you want out of a conditioner. Do you want one that makes your hair look good? Do you want one that makes your hair look good, but don't want to have to deal with removing build-up? Do you want an easy routine? All these factors and many more are different for everyone. VO5 is pretty good stuff- doesn't test on animals ;-)
    Anyway, give me some more info. on where exactly your coming from and I will be more than happy to help!
    *Current Routine*
    LP: SM RSB
    CO/CW: CJ Daily Fix, GR Restorative, SM RSB, SM SFC
    DC: SM, CJ Rehab, G.Nutrafix, DIY
    LI: a CO, KCKT
    Sealers: an oil, JC N&S
    Stylers: just CO, CJ CIAB, KCCC, aloe gel, FSG
    Once in a while: ACV, Lemon-Aid

Oils to seal, rinse, and/or pre-poo as needed :love10:

2c/3a/3b coarse, normal porosity
    :toothy4: CG since 2007 :flower:
  • Corrina777Corrina777 Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Curl Connoisseur
    Yes, there is an adjustment period, but if your hair looks and feels awful then I would look at changing products sooner rather than later. The trick with curly hair is finding the right balance of protein and moisture and a lot of the guess work and trial and error is really based on trying to find this balance. If your hair feels dry you want to seek more moisturizing products. If your hair is super soft and limp you probably need more protein. Some people manage to find the right products fairly quickly.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a/f/iii
    Modified CG since 11/5/11
    CLEANSE: CJ Daily Fix, DevaCare No-Poo, CHS Treatment Shampoo
    RO: SS Caitlin's Conditioner, CJ Beauticurls Strengthening
    LI: SS Repairing Protein Treatment, CHS Silk Leave-In
    STYLE: Re:Coil, Curl Keeper, Deva Ultra Defining Gel, Curls Rock Amplifier,Sweet Curls Elixirs Okra Gel and Hard Hold Gel, SS Curl Enhancing Jelly and Firm Hold Gel
  • darkbeautyttdarkbeautytt Registered Users Posts: 448
    I just bought CJ rehab and CIAB and I used it twice, my hair is dull, no shine and still very dry. I just BC not too long ago. Did a hair analysis while natural this year and the results was normal porosity, medium text to coarse. Smd normal elasticity. I order CJ because I was hoping for softness and shine. I used it as a leave in and ghr result was depressing. No softness and no shine. What should I do?

• mycurlytressesmycurlytresses Registered Users Posts: 275
    I started CG on 07/24/12. I'm just now starting to see all day moisture. I don't think you should keep switching out products without giving it at least a week's time to use because it could be your natural hair is just adjusting to this new change (and you'll be out of a lot of money by switching frequently). I have been taking weekly pictures. This way even if I might think nothing is happening, the pictures will show me the truth (like more definition which I've seen from week to week...even if the all-day moisture didn't come as quickly as I wanted). Please note that when you big chop you will find your hair extremely dry most of the time (not eveybody) because the hair is used to being smothered to death by the use of silicones, parabens, petrolatum, etc. Your hair will probably be in hair "shock" for at least a week from actually receiving what it needs (moisture). Oh, and PLEASE don't do like I did and jump right in without remembering to clarify my hair first with a sulfate shampoo that was silicone free (had to go back and use the VO5 Moisture Milks Strawberry shampoo to clarify) so I did slow down my progress by one week. Best of luck to you all. I'm really enjoying this journey.

I've also been blogging about my journey if you wish to read along.

mycurlytresses on Xanga
    3C, CG Method, Low porosity, Low density, Medium Width

event.png

:afro:
  • juanabjuanab Registered Users Posts: 4,037 Curl Neophyte
    I just bought CJ rehab and CIAB and I used it twice, my hair is dull, no shine and still very dry. I just BC not too long ago. Did a hair analysis while natural this year and the results was normal porosity, medium text to coarse. Smd normal elasticity. I order CJ because I was hoping for softness and shine. I used it as a leave in and ghr result was depressing. No softness and no shine. What should I do?

CIAB has cones and propylene glycol, both of which are drying to my hair.

Sent from my iPhone using CurlTalk

texture - medium/fine, porosity - low/normal, elasticity - normal
    co-wash - NaturelleGrow Coconut Water or Marshmallow Root, Slippery Elm Bark & Blue Malva Cleansing Conditioners
    LI - KCKT mixed w/ SM C & H Curl & Style Milk
    DC - NG Mango & Coconut H2O or Chamomile/Brdck Root
    Gel - SM souffle (winter), KCCC (summer) or CR Naturals Aloe Whipped Butter Gel (year round)
    Sealers - Virgin Coconut Oil, Avocado butter, Aloe butter
    Ayurvedic treatments - Jamila Henna, Sukesh, Aloe Vera Powder, Hibiscus Powder

event.png

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file