New to CG, couple of questions

Alrighty, so I've tried the CG method a few times and never stuck with it. I've shampooed with a sulfate shampoo once a week for the past year and conditioned every day. Still, as much as my hair likes the weekly poo I always felt like there's a better option out there, so I've been trying to stick with it once and for all.

Sorry, this'll probably be a long post. Just trying not to omit anything that might be important.

I have type 3a/b hair, and currently at about week #4 of washing once a week with baking soda. I haven't been using ACV. I use "Healthy Sexy Hair" leave in conditioner spray (though I'm thinking of nixing that because I'm not sure if it's doing anything) and DevaCurl AnGEL every day (only use the gel when I'm not working and therefore able to leave my hair down). I conditioner with Suave Professionals Almond and Shea Butter (and previously shampooed with the same brand).

Ever since I've started shampooing with baking soda I can tell it does a decent job cleaning my hair, but I can tell my hair is a bit dryer and lacking the definition it once had. My hair gets poofy even if I shampoo (one of the biggest reasons why I tried the CG method again, while also trying to increase curl definition), no matter what I do. I'm definitely not lacking in thickness/volume (in fact, I wish I had less). I bought a big bottle of ACV yesterday and since tomorrow is my wash day I was gonna try an avocado DIY deep conditioning mask, wash with BC and rinse right after with the ACV then conditioner. If I use ACV AND conditioner, is it going to reverse the effect and dry it out faster?

Also, considering I'm about 4 weeks in and the effects aren't looking positive, when would be a good time to just throw in the towel? Sometimes I worry if my hair can even handle using natural products. I have Tresemee Naturals sulfate-free shampoo, but whenever I use it I always feel like my hair is frizzier and less defined.

And one more question: I've read about a lot of products, especially here, but what kind of cheap drugstore leave-in products that won't create a lot of buildup and will give my curls more definition? Because right now, they're definitely not as bouncy and a lot more limp (but still somehow poofy) and frizzier than they used to be. Fortunately (or maybe unfortunately since I wish my hair was not as insanely thick) I haven't experienced any hair loss, in fact my roots have just gotten denser, possibly from the natural oils my scalp secretes.

Sorry if a lot of this is repetition from other threads/articles, I've been doing a lot of reading on here and it's hard to sort through all the different opinions. Thanks so much!

Comments

• jsuzkelleyjsuzkelley Registered Users Posts: 610 Curl Neophyte
    First, I just wanted to mention that the Suave conditioner you're using has silicones, and the Tresemme Naturals shampoo is not sulfate free (contains ALS I believe), so that may be part of the problem. I've never tried a BS wash myself, but I've read other posts that have talked about how BS can be harsh/drying if you use too much. Are you looking for a true CG routine (completely sulfate/silicone free), or more of a modified routine?

Sent from my iPhone using CurlTalk
    2c/3a, botticelli/wavy/'swavy (huh?)
    fine, dense, normal porosity/elasticity, dry climate
    My favorite brands are Kinky Curly, As I am, Curly Kinks, Curl Junkie, and Darcy's Botanicals. Also love sealing with oils (loving argan oil right now) and styling with jelly products (KCCC is my current favorite). Mostly trying to keep it simple!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

CG since 12/29/2011 :laughing6:
  • huckleberrryhuckleberrry Registered Users Posts: 20
    Ideally, I'd want to go all-out no silicones or sulfates, but I haven't found a product that I'm satisfied with. The Tresemee product doesn't have silicones (I don't think, I may have to look at the bottle again), but it has sulfates. As harsh as regular shampoo is to my hair, I find I like the way it looks better than when I experiment with natural approaches, even though morally I prefer the natural way. So maybe what I'm looking for is a modified CG. Or maybe my hair is naturally this way and I should just deal with it and learn to accept what's natural versus what's fake.

Could you reccomend any good cheap drugstore shampoos and/or conditioners that don't have silicones OR sulfates? I'm working on a college student's budget here and don't really have the money to splurge on DevaCurl products, especially since I have so much hair I go through the bottle fast.
  • huckleberrryhuckleberrry Registered Users Posts: 20
    On that note, I've read a bit about the L'Oreal products and their sulfate free line, do you have any idea if it's worth the hype? I know, trial and error is what's best, but I've had too many trials and too many errors and can't afford to make many more.
  • WhirlwindWhirlwind Registered Users Posts: 21
    I have read that if you will use use baking soda then you should follow it with apple cider vinegar because it's basic so your shafts will open and will cause frizz, and the vinegar closes it. Not sure if I remember right but I saw it just around the forum. :)
  • kurlygurlykurlygurly Registered Users Posts: 644
    I've been using Aubrey shampoo and conditioners then leave the conditioner in my hair and finish with Paul Mitchell super sculpt gel......all sulfate and silicone free. My hair is happy now.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using CurlTalk App
    3b-ish... normal to low porosity....med. texture
    Wash: Desert Essence Coconut shampoo, Acure argon shampoo
    Deep Trestment: Nature's Nectars deep conditioner/styler
    Condition: Nature's Nectars luv-n-a-bottle, Nature's Gate pomegranate sunflower
    LEAVE-IN:Nature's Nectars luv-n-a-bottle, Natures Gate pomegranate sunflower
    STYLE: Nature's Nectars Sweet Shea butter blend, Ecostyler gel
    hemp oil, jojoba oil
    www.naturesnectars.net
  • kurlygurlykurlygurly Registered Users Posts: 644
    Correction...the gel has water soluble silicones.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using CurlTalk App
    3b-ish... normal to low porosity....med. texture
    Wash: Desert Essence Coconut shampoo, Acure argon shampoo
    Deep Trestment: Nature's Nectars deep conditioner/styler
    Condition: Nature's Nectars luv-n-a-bottle, Nature's Gate pomegranate sunflower
    LEAVE-IN:Nature's Nectars luv-n-a-bottle, Natures Gate pomegranate sunflower
    STYLE: Nature's Nectars Sweet Shea butter blend, Ecostyler gel
    hemp oil, jojoba oil
    www.naturesnectars.net

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file