CurlTalk

Too much protein?

Can someone tell me what too much protein looks like?
I am curious because I have some protein loving hair! I have wavy hair, but protein throws me over the edge into more of a 3a/b. I was wondering because I just did a banana/ yogurt thing on my hair over the weekend followed by deep condition and it is super curly (for me). I know it isn't conditioning because I've done that alone on occasion and it makes my hair more like a dishrag...very reminiscent of before CG when I used so much product it would make your head spin.

Anyway, I have been careful with protein, but so far have not seen anything negative. I'm just wondering what to look for. ;)

Sent from my VM670 using CurlTalk App

Comments

• Corrina777Corrina777 Posts: 3,193Registered Users
    Most people will get hair that feels brittle and straw-like. However, some people will get hair that resembles over-conditioned. Super soft and straight. Basically you want to look for hair that looks worse after protein than it did before. I have fine hair that still hasn't seen too much protein, so I'm still waiting for an odd response to protein myself :)

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a/f/iii
    Modified CG since 11/5/11
    CLEANSE: CJ Daily Fix, DevaCare No-Poo, CHS Treatment Shampoo
    RO: SS Caitlin's Conditioner, CJ Beauticurls Strengthening
    LI: SS Repairing Protein Treatment, CHS Silk Leave-In
    STYLE: Re:Coil, Curl Keeper, Deva Ultra Defining Gel, Curls Rock Amplifier,Sweet Curls Elixirs Okra Gel and Hard Hold Gel, SS Curl Enhancing Jelly and Firm Hold Gel
  • kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users
    My hair LOVES protein, too. It never met a protein it didn't like! I do at least one PT a week and use a lot of products with protein.

Since coming onto nc.com and learning about products, technique and getting the protein/moisture balance right, my hair has gone from winter wavy/summer 3a to looking like my signature picture all year around. Could be, you're a curly waiting for the right care, too.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kristen.nickkristen.nick Posts: 37Registered Users
    How long did it take being CG and using enough protein before you went from wavy to curly?
    Hair: 3A, fine, normal porosity and elasticity
    My hair loves protein, especially keratin! It hates coconut oil and all butters.
    Low-poo: MOP-C Hydrating Shampoo, Renpure Moisturizing Shampoo
    Co-wash: Giovanni 50/50 & Smooth as Silk, Tresemme Naturals, NG Pomegranate & Sunflower
    RO: TIGI MM, GVPCB
    LI: KKKT, SM Curl Style Milk
    PT: Mill Creek Biotin Conditioner
    DT: CJ CR
    Styler: CJ CCCL, CJ CIAB, LALSG, LAL Nutra Curl, Biotera Gel, Ecostyler Grip Gel
  • kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users
    How long did it take being CG and using enough protein before you went from wavy to curly?

It's not just the protein, it's the protein/moisture balance, learning about what products and techniques my hair likes--the whole package.

In the summer, I always had Botticelli curls--but no root curl. In the winter, it was mostly wavy. When I first came on nc.com, I had some great hair days with some products; however, it was inconsistent. I cowashed for six months. It didn't change my hair for the better. When they were the rage 4 years ago, I added natural soap bars to my routine--they helped tighten my curl and added volume. Around the same time, I started to (exclusively) use the more natural products from the online boutique companies. My curls became tighter and I had root curl and more volume.

That happened about eight months into my curly journey and continues.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]