Olympics (Where You Comment as News)

DevushkaDevushka Registered Users Posts: 1,080
If you have news about the Olympics, please feel free to post. (This way if you're someone who doesn't want to hear news before it airs on primetime TV, it's easier to avoid it all together. Hopefully, that will help) :)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]3b / Fine / Low (to Med) Density / Normal Porosity & Elasticity
Currently Using [*Holy Grails*]
Cleansers: DC No-Poo / DC Low-Poo / *BaSo & ACV*
Co-Washes/ROs: CJ Beauticurls Argan & OO / DC OneC / Organicals DC Creme
Additives: *Silk Amino Acids* / Honeyquat / Fragrance Oils
LIs (found some!): KCKT / CJ Beauticurls LI / CJ Curl Assurance Smoothing Daily Condish
DTs: *Coconut Oil* rinses / *Honey*, EVOO, & DC OneC / CJ Curl Rehab
Sealer: *DM Super Buttercreme*
Goal: APL Hair

Comments

• RimiRimi Registered Users Posts: 2,001 Curl Neophyte
    Haha, good idea :)
    21 y/o lifelong natural {4a-O ; spongy ; coarse ; dense ; MBL stretched}

products {'poo: TJTTT shampoo | RO: TJTTT Condish | LI/style: TJTTT Condish, homemade cocoa butter cream | DC: condish + ayurvedic powder(s), Aussie 3MMM Treatment | PT: condish + NPF | oils: castor oil, grapeseed oil | other treatments: probiotics, tea rinses, AVG rinse/spritz, oil rinse | sealing method: LC sometimes O}

long-term: HL stretched, BSL unstretched

CG-friendly Products List!
  • *Marah**Marah* Registered Users Posts: 8,032 Curl Neophyte
    Okay..well at least I can continue reading. I don't know a thing about what's going on in the Olympics this year..I just see the little ticker they have on Yahoo about who has how many medals. I was using the other thread you all had to learn..I was disappointed to see it on lockdown. But now this is open.. good. :)
    tumblr_m9jonzYZmu1re7hjjo1_250.jpg
  • DevushkaDevushka Registered Users Posts: 1,080
    Have I mentioned that I'm a Michael Phelps fan? :lol: Seriously -- Getting the silver in the butterfly and responding with so much grace and then pulling it together to come back and win a gold so soon afterwards in the relay.

I'm so happy for him that he's the most decorated Olympian! :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]3b / Fine / Low (to Med) Density / Normal Porosity & Elasticity
    LIs (found some!): KCKT / CJ Beauticurls LI / CJ Curl Assurance Smoothing Daily Condish
  • SaraNoHSaraNoH Registered Users Posts: 827
    I saw this morning (I think this happened yesterday) the whole issue with Women's Fencing for gold between the Korean girl and German girl. It's really too bad that the whole situation was messy and the Korean girl ended up in 4th.
    Also with the women's swimming yesterday, with the faulty buzz start.... what's up with that? I've never noticed before how many things go wrong during the Olympics
    CG Birthday: 7/25/11
    Type 3a/2c
    Dense, Fine in front Coarse in back, Low porosity
    Low-Poo: SM Moisture Retention Shampoo
    Rinse Out: Tresemme Naturals
    Leave In: ^^^^
    Stylers: AIF, Natural Silks Curly Gel
    *Desert Curly*
  • Parissy198907Parissy198907 Registered Users Posts: 479
    I don't appreicate all the controversy surrounding Chinese swimmer Ye Shiwen. I feel like they're only questioning her accomplishments because she is a woman. She's an amazing swimmer and the officials need to accept it.
    14905839.png
  • RimiRimi Registered Users Posts: 2,001 Curl Neophyte
    ^^ and/or because she's Chinese. I don't expect anything unfavorable to come out...she's just a really powerful athlete!
    21 y/o lifelong natural {4a-O ; spongy ; coarse ; dense ; MBL stretched}

products {'poo: TJTTT shampoo | RO: TJTTT Condish | LI/style: TJTTT Condish, homemade cocoa butter cream | DC: condish + ayurvedic powder(s), Aussie 3MMM Treatment | PT: condish + NPF | oils: castor oil, grapeseed oil | other treatments: probiotics, tea rinses, AVG rinse/spritz, oil rinse | sealing method: LC sometimes O}

long-term: HL stretched, BSL unstretched

CG-friendly Products List!
    SaraNoH wrote: »
    I saw this morning (I think this happened yesterday) the whole issue with Women's Fencing for gold between the Korean girl and German girl. It's really too bad that the whole situation was messy and the Korean girl ended up in 4th.
    Also with the women's swimming yesterday, with the faulty buzz start.... what's up with that? I've never noticed before how many things go wrong during the Olympics

When I was watching that race, at first I thought it was lucky that the officials realized it was a malfunction so she wouldn't be eliminated, but later she talked about how that false start rattled her and she was *freezing* when she got out of the water waiting to start again. Ugh!!

These people work sooooo hard and sacrifice so much. I just hate it when stuff goes wrong for them.
  • OBBOBB Registered Users Posts: 4,174 Curl Neophyte
    Rimi wrote: »
    ^^ and/or because she's Chinese. I don't expect anything unfavorable to come out...she's just a really powerful athlete!

China has replaced Russia as our main rival at the games and the world stage. Anything to discredit them will get front page coverage.

Way to go Phelps and women's gym team!!!

BTW I get no coverage here so feel free to post spoilers :-)
  • SCGSCG Registered Users Posts: 5,416
    I'm so happy for the women's gymnastics team, and Phelps! I heard from various different sources about the gymnastics win, but it was still fun to watch! Especially their reactions and whatnot.

"And death is at your doorstep
    And it will steal your innocence
    But it will not steal your substance
    But you are not alone in this"

“My ability to turn good news into anxiety is rivaled only by my ability to turn anxiety into chin acne.” - Tina Fey
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Registered Users Posts: 31,259 Curl Connoisseur
    Well, turns out my quest to watch women's gymnastics in prime time was thwarted with a storm and power outage. So, I'm going to have to watch video tomorrow.

My apologies to laura for being such a cranky pants earlier. ;) Please forgive...I was out of line.
  • ss40ss40 Registered Users Posts: 1,790 Curl Neophyte
    Phelps is the most accomplished Olympian ever. I wonder what he will pursue next besides endorsements?

Doin' it Douglas & them were great too! I hope to find some authentic live coverage tomorrow online for the individual gymnastics events.

I'm cashing out
    :nike:About my hair:
    weekly shampoo-HE Honey I'm Strong
    daily conditioner-HE Honey I'm Strong (use as li)
    go to style-Pocahontas braids
  • Parissy198907Parissy198907 Registered Users Posts: 479
    SCG wrote: »
    I'm so happy for the women's gymnastics team, and Phelps! I heard from various different sources about the gymnastics win, but it was still fun to watch! Especially their reactions and whatnot.

Even though I knew beforehand that the USA won gold in gymnastics I was still a ball of nerves watching them perform. Whew! Glad that's over.

Phelps is sooo cute!
    14905839.png
    I wish Phelps tons of happiness success in whatever he chooses after the Olympics (It just broke my heart in that interview where he was talking about how he suffered from depression for about 6 months after the '08 games). :(

(I only hope he doesn't become an updated version of Bruce Jenner. Sorry, but I can't think of Jenner without thinking of plastic surgery and how they parody him on Saturday Night Live. :lol:)
  • annabananaliseannabananalise Registered Users Posts: 1,913
    I love how Miss McKayla was so cool throughout the entire women's gymnastics.

LeBron saving us from Tunisia and then sitting down like it was nothing.

I love how Ricky got that fantastic lead during the relay...that Phelps lost, but whatever.

Ally's face as soon as she finished that floor routine.

Little Gabby in everything.

Lochte flubbing the words to the national anthem (but he's still hot, so).

Jordyn's nearly flawless floor routine.

I cried a lot, y'all. It was a really emotional day for me.
    Last relaxer: 8.4.10
    BC: 9.6.11
    tumblr_mkqgfjWwA41qcwgrvo1_500.gif
    when will your favs?

• nynaeve77nynaeve77 Registered Users Posts: 7,135 Curl Novice
    Gabby is my favorite. I want her to win all the things.
    "Maybe Lucy's right. Of all the Charlie Browns in the world, you're the Charlie Browniest."--Linus, A Charlie Brown Christmas

My fotki: http://public.fotki.com/nynaeve77/
    Password: orphanannie
  • GoldenBlazeGoldenBlaze Registered Users Posts: 342
    nynaeve77 wrote: »
    Gabby is my favorite. I want her to win all the things.

I like both girls that made the All-Around. I like how the older one kept Gabby motivated. That team is just fabulous!!! I'm so happy for those girls!!
  • StarmieStarmie Registered Users Posts: 7,170 Curl Virtuoso
    Devushka wrote: »
    Have I mentioned that I'm a Michael Phelps fan? :lol: Seriously -- Getting the silver in the butterfly and responding with so much grace and then pulling it together to come back and win a gold so soon afterwards in the relay.

I'm so happy for him that he's the most decorated Olympian! :)

From a non-American I have to say he really is awe-inspiring, I'm pleased he's done so well.
    Memories of Carl Lewis way-back-when, when even though we didn't want Americans winning everything, it was so amazing to watch him.

(No offence meant there btw!).
    3b in South Australia.
  • curlylauracurlylaura Registered Users Posts: 8,352 Curl Neophyte
    I don't appreicate all the controversy surrounding Chinese swimmer Ye Shiwen. I feel like they're only questioning her accomplishments because she is a woman. She's an amazing swimmer and the officials need to accept it.

That and because she's Chinese. I heard that one of the comments made by the US coach was that she swam faster than some of the men and that's why he's suspicious. Rebecca Addlington swam faster than some of the men and no one is accusing her of cheating.

The young girl has passed all drug tests. Why can't people just celebrate her success and achievements without automatically thinking 'cheat'?
    Fat does not make you fat. It's actually pretty important.
    curlylaura wrote: »

That and because she's Chinese. I heard that one of the comments made by the US coach was that she swam faster than some of the men and that's why he's suspicious. Rebecca Addlington swam faster than some of the men and no one is accusing her of cheating.

The young girl has passed all drug tests. Why can't people just celebrate her success and achievements without automatically thinking 'cheat'?

The Chinese swimmers also have a history of doping. That's why it's a protest as well
    Here is a link that will kinda explain why the US has suspicions.

http://www.abc.net.au/lateline/content/2012/s3557837.htm

Lateline - 31/07/2012: Chinese swimmer accused of doped performance

I am well aware of the reasons why the questions are being asked but when the accused has repeatedly passed all required drug tests you have to accept that she is a great swimmer and deserving winner.

I am well aware of the reasons why the questions are being asked but when the accused has repeatedly passed all required drug tests you have to accept that she is a great swimmer and deserving winner.

That's true, however, Marion Jones also passed all her drug tests and I'm sure you remember how that turned out. The IOC keep urine samples on file for 10yrs to test for new enhancing substances that they find out about. I'm happy for her, but it is suspicious that her being as young as she is out swimming a man.
    I want to see Great Britian win a gold medal!!!!!!
    GOLD for UK women's rowers

I reserve the right to post about Team GBs wins
  • rouquinnerouquinne Registered Users Posts: 13,737 Curl Connoisseur
    ... when the accused has repeatedly passed all required drug tests you have to accept that she is a great swimmer and deserving winner.

Ben Johnson passed all his drug tests up until the one after the gold medal in Seoul.

silver this morning for Canada in men's 8 rowing!

canada-flag-14.gif
    My blog:

http://labellatestarossa.blogspot.ca/

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
    GOLD for UK women's rowers

I reserve the right to post about Team GBs wins

Hooray for UK's Women Rowing Team!! It would have been terrible to host the games and not get any gold. Hopefully more golds are on the way. :)

And breathe easily -- This new thread is purposefully intended for people to post Olympics news they'd like. That way we can all share updates that we're excited about (e.g. I'm SO posting any additional medals that Phelps might win! :lol:), and those who prefer to wait until the events air on TV wherever they are can simply avoid this thread.)

All is well in naturally curly land! :)
  • fraufrau Registered Users Posts: 6,130 Curl Neophyte
    i....despise....ryan....seacrest.
    i don't want to see simon cowell interviewing athletes!
    i don't want to see paula abdul interviewing athletes!
    so why in the world would i want to see ryan seacrest???

i despise this olympic coverage!
    it's like watching someone masturbate.
    i don't want to see michael phelps mother or sister anymore.
    i am tired of the bias!
    i don't just want to watch the united states and russia or china, i want to see it all.
    who cares what time events come on! put them on live!!
    i'd rather wake up at 3 am and watch the american gymnasts win gold than read it in someone's facebook book post!
    i hate this coverage.
    i feel like some sorority girl put it together, it's so one sided and sugary sweet.

and furthermore, i like that they have the two best from all the countries competing!! sadly, no matter who is competing it seems that we have to sit shiva over the fact that whatshername didn't make it!

look at how the russians were all falling down. i'd love to see some papau new guinean come from nowhere and win something. i like underdogs. best of the best my foot! best of the steriod users!!

you know what? it wouldn't matter who was competing because the nbc cameras are only focused on the u.s. team and their crazy parents! i don't want to see them!!
    (ok, i really do but in moderation)
  • legendslegends Registered Users Posts: 3,073
    I had heard about the doping suspicion for the Chinese swimmer...so it's the Americans who are leading that charge? Ugh.

I looked up the gymnast who was the previous record holder for most Olympic medals, and then I started looking at old gymnastics videos. The difference from the '50-60's and today is remarkable. The uneven bars especially--the bottom bar got used a lot more, lots of standing and posing on the bars and even dismounting from a standing position.
    Eres o te haces?

That's true, however, Marion Jones also passed all her drug tests and I'm sure you remember how that turned out. The IOC keep urine samples on file for 10yrs to test for new enhancing substances that they find out about. I'm happy for her, but it is suspicious that her being as young as she is out swimming a man.

I hate the legacy that doping leaves on the Olympic Games (and sports in general) -- We want people to do their best, but if they do, there's the suspicion that they're doping. And yes, unfortunately it's very possible that there are some athletes at these Games who are doping (Absolutely NOT saying that Ye Shiwen is one of them!); that's just the sad state of things in many sports these days.

It just makes me mad at people like Marion Jones, Ben Johnson, Mark McGwire (U.S. baseball), etc. who knowingly use performance enhancing drugs but deny it, and then of course the truth is revealed. It's a cat & mouse game, but they must have known there was a good chance they'd get caught or couldn't live with the lie and would eventually confess. The burden of their guilt is then unfairly borne by NON-doping athletes who come along and do phenomenal things but are surrounded by suspicion.
  • AmnerisAmneris Registered Users Posts: 15,117
    legends wrote: »
    I had heard about the doping suspicion for the Chinese swimmer...so it's the Americans who are leading that charge? Ugh.

I looked up the gymnast who was the previous record holder for most Olympic medals, and then I started looking at old gymnastics videos. The difference from the '50-60's and today is remarkable. The uneven bars especially--the bottom bar got used a lot more, lots of standing and posing on the bars and even dismounting from a standing position.

I thought it was the British press that started it.
    She's 16. Leave her alone. It's so sexist to be shocked that she can out-swim a man!
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file